How to beat the water boss?

NashtyMouse

How do you damage this thing? I’m pretty far in the game (way past that boss) but I couldn’t figure out how to damage it so I moved in.

side note - I really don’t understand this move to take away bosses from games and add invincibility mode to everything… bosses in any genre have always been my favorite thing about gaming, it’s a bummer that the “bosses” in this game are such pushovers. (Except the one I’m asking help for lol). The first axiom verge had amazing bosses!

Edited by NashtyMouse

46 minutes ago, NashtyMouse said:

The first axiom verge had amazing bosses!

Even the one you can just run past ?

But i agree, why dumb games down? When i was a kid games were just hard and if you somehow managed to win you felt awesome.

Sure i enjoyed invincibility code on doom 2 as well but i also loved beating goldeneye on 007 mode.

I could only beat a few bosses in silver surfer but loved to watch my brother play as he beat the game.

Edited by Dr_Mayus

You dont have to use the options but I know what you mean, I dont mind if games have them or not, but sometimes if they are present I cant help but use them, but if they were not present, I would have got by without

The water boss, if its the ome im thinking off (1st boss), there are large spikes sticking out the ceilings, you must use that shockwave ability you get that pulses in a large area around you with a circular blast animation

It takes about 6 of those to kill it, and if you run out, quit/reload to respawn them

Im not far into the game, first hoss I faced, I wish the map could be zoomed in much closer, its so hard to look at

Yeah as Optinooby said, use the shockwave to hit the stalactites to damage the boss. Another way to make him super easy is to camp in front of those Orb generators, and hack every body part of the boss to disable it's attacks. Then it will just swim around and be unable to damage you :) Then you can take your time without fear of missing or dying!

There's another underwater enemy that I found on the bottom right of the map near the endgame. It reminded me of that boss except that it's yellow and it fades to become invisible every few seconds. I have no idea how to hurt that one or if it can even be damaged to begin with. I'm sure it must drop a item or something though so I dunno...

1 hour ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

Another way to make him super easy is to camp in front of those Orb generators, and hack every body part of the boss to disable it's attacks

Can this be done with the starting Climbing Axe or the Boomerang or is it a later weapon???

I'm sure I tried with the above in a few parts on its body as it's all I had, but nothing seemed to damage it......I guess either I hit it in the wrong place or I need a later weapon???

12 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Can this be done with the starting Climbing Axe or the Boomerang or is it a later weapon???

I'm sure I tried with the above in a few parts on its body as it's all I had, but nothing seemed to damage it......I guess either I hit it in the wrong place or I need a later weapon???

It's not a weapon, it's the hacking ability R2 or R1.

You may need to upgrade it before using it on that boss though. I realized early on that if I wanted to get progress on the hacking trophy, I needed to upgrade that skill as soon as I could. So I maxed out that skill first before upgrading anything else!

10 hours ago, NashtyMouse said:

Any of you guys beat the game? I’m pretty far but I’ve been stumped for 8 hours now and cannot find out how to continue. The compass gravitates around 18,11…. Which is pixelated and I cannot get into…

metroidvanias are my thing but I’m losing my shit over here.

Don't have the game in front of me atm. But what area is that in? I got stuck in the valley area near the bottom of the map for quite a while until I realized that I needed to use the breach to get past some purple blockages (You destroy them in the breach which in turn removes them in the regular map). I'll boot up my game in an hour or so to see which spot that is.

21 minutes ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

It's not a weapon, it's the hacking ability R2 or R1.

You may need to upgrade it before using it on that boss though. I realized early on that if I wanted to get progress on the hacking trophy, I needed to upgrade that skill as soon as I could. So I maxed out that skill first before upgrading anything else!

Ahh got ya, I didn't have the hacking ability at the time, perhaps why I though u meant attacking xD

I did the same actually once I got it, lobbed everything into upgrading the level, though the range doesn't seem to make much difference.

10 hours ago, NashtyMouse said:

Any of you guys beat the game? I’m pretty far but I’ve been stumped for 8 hours now and cannot find out how to continue. The compass gravitates around 18,11…. Which is pixelated and I cannot get into…

metroidvanias are my thing but I’m losing my shit over here.

The compass is pants, it gravitates all over the place, not sure even what exactly it gravitates towards yet. It's not key items only, other stuff to, plus it will gravitates to stuff on different rooms, think it depends what is closest.

Can you elaborate a bit more, I'm looking at 18,11 and there is a portal there, I still can't enter that, the compass is just showing you where it is.

What's your furthest point, what was your most recent main upgrade, do you have the Drone hover yet or the Human form or the ability to make secret portals appear??

Edited by Optinooby

24 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

The compass is pants, it gravitates all over the place, not sure even what exactly it gravitates towards yet. It's not key items only, other stuff to, plus it will gravitates to stuff on different rooms, think it depends what is closest.

I think the compass always points to the closest portal near you. TBH I never used it the entire run because it didn't seem very useful to me.

I got a part that fits in the compass, some type of blue circle through random exploring, but I still haven't figured out what it does yet :P I was hoping it would lock onto nearby collectibles, but I haven't found a collectible yet since I got the upgrade so have no way to check atm.

6 minutes ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

I think the compass always points to the closest portal near you. TBH I never used it the entire run because it didn't seem very useful to me.

I got a part that fits in the compass, some type of blue circle through random exploring, but I still haven't figured out what it does yet :P I was hoping it would lock onto nearby collectibles, but I haven't found a collectible yet since I got the upgrade so have no way to check atm.

Really, I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

It changes colours as well at times, sometimes pink, sometimes blue or green, not sure if that's a different type of item or just portals like u say, maybe the different colours indicates proximity in that case.

Pretty confusing compass, but guess it is early days, it's a right maze without use of a guide isn't it ;)

35 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

Really, I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

It changes colours as well at times, sometimes pink, sometimes blue or green, not sure if that's a different type of item or just portals like u say, maybe the different colours indicates proximity in that case.

Pretty confusing compass, but guess it is early days, it's a right maze without use of a guide isn't it ;)

Didn't know about other colours on there, guess I have some exploring to do with that knowledge ;) 

You know, the lack of any guides right now is awesome, because everyone has to try and figure things out themselves and rely on tips from the community to do everything! It's actually a bit refreshing to me to see stuff like this! 

I'm contemplating doing a guide for this one if I get any spare time, as I did the first game's guide on pst .org as my first ever full game trophy guide! Metroidvanias are such an excellent genre :D 

10 minutes ago, Jerry_Appleby said:

Didn't know about other colours on there, guess I have some exploring to do with that knowledge ;) 

You know, the lack of any guides right now is awesome, because everyone has to try and figure things out themselves and rely on tips from the community to do everything! It's actually a bit refreshing to me to see stuff like this! 

I'm contemplating doing a guide for this one if I get any spare time, as I did the first game's guide on pst .org as my first ever full game trophy guide! Metroidvanias are such an excellent genre :D 

Go for it m8, the community needs it, needs you ;)

Yea I'm trying to keep observing the compass to understand properly how it works, still not not quite there yet though. 

When I get a new hack, I check ur list further up to see if it's something you may not have but I was thinking and praying this isn't the case, but I hope you don't have to perform each hack type tier as well!!

I know the trophy states 'every hack', but some hacks have different Lvs for example, I saw Overload Lv 1 on a enemy, then on another enemy later, there is Overload Lv 3...

I hope it is the only type once, and not every Level of that type, that would be a pain

Edited by Optinooby

1 hour ago, Optinooby said:

Go for it m8, the community needs it ;)

Yea I'm trying to keep observing the compass to understand properly how it works, still not not quite there yet though. 

When I get a new hack, I check ur list further up to see if it's something you may not have but I was thinking and praying this isn't the case, but I hope you don't have to perform each hack type tier as well!!

I know the trophy states 'every hack', but some hacks have different Lvs for example, I saw Overload Lv 1 on a enemy, then on another enemy later, there is Overload Lv 3...

I hope it is the only type once, and not every Level of that type, that would be a pain

Yeah I saw that while playing, and unfortunately I did not keep track of which levels I did/didn't do. Might have to attempt on a new file after the speedrun and list every hack I do so I don't miss one!

BTW thanks to your tip about the compass. I saw that the blue disc I found lights up if there's a collectible in the room you're in! So I should be able to get all the items now with that extra knowledge!

EDIT: Map and items now 100%. Just need to find the last hacks I'm missing and the last Arm, then I'm done!

Edited by Jerry_Appleby

23 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Ahh got ya, I didn't have the hacking ability at the time, perhaps why I though u meant attacking xD

I did the same actually once I got it, lobbed everything into upgrading the level, though the range doesn't seem to make much difference.

Can you elaborate a bit more, I'm looking at 18,11 and there is a portal there, I still can't enter that, the compass is just showing you where it is.

What's your furthest point, what was your most recent main upgrade, do you have the Drone hover yet or the Human form or the ability to make secret portals appear??

Sorry, I’m away from my ps5 for most of today so I won’t be playing, but I believe the objective is at 33, 24 but I could be wrong. The last upgrade is the upgrade that allows me to enter secret breaches. I’m thinking there must be a secret entrance to a room somewhere, cuz I’ve covered what I have available in for map so far like ten times over. Right now I’m 60% map completion and 51% items completion.

2 hours ago, NashtyMouse said:

Sorry, I’m away from my ps5 for most of today so I won’t be playing, but I believe the objective is at 33, 24 but I could be wrong. The last upgrade is the upgrade that allows me to enter secret breaches. I’m thinking there must be a secret entrance to a room somewhere, cuz I’ve covered what I have available in for map so far like ten times over. Right now I’m 60% map completion and 51% items completion.

Yea that's where I got stumped for a bit as well. I can't remember the exact spot without looking through my switch photos (I have taken 3 screenshots of every collectible)

It was somewhere along the the bottom left qtr of the map iirc, there will be a secret portal which will let you make your way to the drone hover ability

On 8/14/2021 at 11:26 AM, Optinooby said:

Yea that's where I got stumped for a bit as well. I can't remember the exact spot without looking through my switch photos (I have taken 3 screenshots of every collectible)

It was somewhere along the the bottom left qtr of the map iirc, there will be a secret portal which will let you make your way to the drone hover ability

Super late response on my part, thanks for the reply though! This was where I was stuck!

• 1 year later...