Switching consoles

El_Shubi

Probably the worst forum to post this but here goes:

For this generation of games, I purchased my first Xbox as PS5 wasn't available at the time. I did eventually get a ps5 and have resumed my trophy hunting there but I must say that Xbox has provided incredible value for money with gamepass. I don't use my secondary console (Xbox) that much because I have limited time to game but recently I was thinking perhaps I should upgrade to series X and sell off my series S and then make it my primary console. my playstation would be the secondary console for exclusives coz I cant miss those. 

the issues i am having is that firstly  have built up a library of 200+ games from digital sales and ps plus releases since ps3/vita days so i would need to keep my ps Plus sub going for that. and the bigger issue, i have collected 150+ platinums of some of my favourite games over the years and i am constantly trying to grow my collection. i feel like i am more interested in hunting trophies than gaming a lot of the time, though not always. I am upset at the prospect of starting a new achievements collection from scratch and just discarding a profile i spent so much time on for so many years. i understand that this is a trophy hunting platform but i feel like trophies/achievements have created a barrier to gaming that i have only really considered now.  

the easy answer im sure most people will respond with is just game and enjoy it and dont worry about the acheivements/trophies but heres the thing, I do care about it, even though its not real, i do care that i have spent time building this profile and getting into the top 100 in my country and top 30k in the world. I dont really have time to play that many games on two consoles but i do alright on one, with the odd game or two on the other one. 

has anyone here switched platforms? if you have, was this as much of a factor for you and if anyone is thinking of switching what are your thoughts on leaving behind your profile? 

• Like 2

I switched from X360 to PS3 like 10 years ago. I did solely for the exclusive, but back then Xbox actually had exclusives worth playing. Not like today where they only produce dog shit.

I only lost about 10 games that I had gotten all GS on so it was not as big a loss as you. As long as you have a PS5 so you can play the actually good exclusives you are good. If you know the trophy list of a upcoming game

and you know you can get all trophies just play that game on PS5 and use you Xbox for game pass exclusively. 

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 3

i mean its not like you throw your trophies away. if you stil want to play the ps exlusives you can still build up your trophycount. just slower. due to all the short platinums the leaderboard is out of the question anyway.
i atm kinda go from playstation as primary console to switch as primary. atm i woudl say its 50/50 but i tend to get more and more stuff on switch. i just like beeing flexibel with the handheld and tbh i also really like that there is no trophysystem on switch. so games like steamworld heist that are good games but have annoying trophies are perfect on switch. sometime i even buy games on both console. on playstation for the trophies and on switch for the fun^^ 

so if you want my advise. keep trophyhunting on playstation and try to ignore GS on xbox. since i have the switch i notice a big big differences between a game that i really wonna play and a game that i really wonna have the trophies of.

• Like 2

Going to be honest and say that the Platinum trophy is the best and worst thing about trophies as a whole.

These are my observations over many years of reading forum posts on both Xbox and Playstation...

One of the first thing some PS gamers do is check out how hard the platinum is before even playing a game, and if its looks too difficult they wont even play the game at all.

Some PS gamers deliberately play games with easier platinums just to obtain it even though they dont really enjoy the game at all in some cases.

Thats what the platinum trophy does to some people, it is a beacon of light that you can be judged on. Others can see just how good (or bad) you are at a game.

It's all about the platinum trophy, nothing else matters, PS gamers talk about 'Platinums' Xbox gamers talk about 'Gamerscore'.

Xbox gamer score is different, much different (and I think better) people are more judged on their overall score than any 1 individual game... so I could for example only complete my games to 75% but have a gamerscore of say 50,000 and that might 'impress' some people cos 50,000 isnt too shabby, its not great but its OK.

But if that same thing happened on Playstation which meant o could only get 75% completion then i might not play some of the games i would enjoy cos of not being able to get the platinum, or deliberately play some easier games to boost my platinum count, even regretting starting a game cos of the the low completion percentage i have for it, hoping Sony brings in a way to delete trophies for it (not going to happen) or just hiding them so others can't see them... or if the worst came to the worst i could just put it all down to OCD and create a new account.

That simply does not exist on Xbox, and that is why Gamerscore > Platinums.

Edited by Japanime_Gamer
  • Like 3

I get where you're coming from 100%. I'm too being tempted to switch to Xbox. I had a 360 several years ago but then switched to the PS4. I'm now worried that the sorts of games I like to play (big, open world western style RPGs) are more common on the Xbox than the PS. 'Last' generation (PS4) Sony certainly won the exclusives war, but with Microsoft acquiring the rights to future Elder Scrolls/Fallout games and a potential future Fable game, I might need to switch. However, I've sunk hundreds of hours into building my PS profile and although it's nothing special, I really don't want to move away from Trophies. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want to play a game unless to try and get the trophies for it. It's a bummer for sure. Trophies certainly do act as a barrier to gaming on different consoles. 

• Like 1

I moved over from Xbox 360 to PS4.  I loved the 360, thought it had a great selection of games but then the Xbox One seemed to lack good interesting games so I moved over to PS4.  Now I am really enjoying the PS4, but what I would say is that the very best I've played have been remasters from PS3 games.  The PS4 exclusive I've played have not really blown me away (God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn etc).  There are more I want to try, but so far I feel the PS4 gen is just not as strong as the previous one.  And I do think Xbox is improving a lot faster game wise and value wise, they particularly seem to have more of the smaller interesting titles vs the big AAA safe exclusives.  So I don't think its a bad thing if you were tempted to move to Xbox, I say go where you feel has the best games and experiences.   In terms of trophies, having spent many years on Xbox, I will say trophies are much much better than achievements, and I couldnt really see myself going back to achievement hunting, and the trophy system is now a huge reason to stay with Sony at least for me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, running_Amok_86 said:

Yep, that's exactly how I feel too. PS4 has been a weak generation. Few really interesting exclusives and most of the best games have been older remasters. 360 was great but Xbox One seemed weaker than the PS4. Now it's swung back the other way. Frustrating! 

Just play what you want to play.  Trophies/achievements should be there for people to get more out of their games than they would otherwise.  Nobody should really care about any of it other than to enjoy it.

I ditched an 11 year old Xbox account because I wasn’t getting the games I wanted to play on it.  I would go for 100% on almost everything I owned on there, but after Scalebound got cancelled and Gears 4, Halo 5 and Crackdown 3 not living up to expectations.  I ditched the whole thing.  I kept the Xbox One for a while but there was literally nothing on there that I couldn’t play on a PlayStation 4 so it eventually got sold along with the 15 or so games I had on it.  

I’ve had a PS4 since late 2017 and amassed over 150 physical games for it.

Long story short,  go where the good games are that you want to play.  That’s all that really matters.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've never "switched" consoles, since I've always had multiple for the different exclusives and other benefits they might have over others. I was thinking of perhaps "switching" my primary console to Series X this gen though, but with how Microsoft seems to be getting more and more invested in Game Pass and digital only games, I no longer think it's the best option for me. I'll still be getting one eventually, but Playstation will definitely still be the console I get most of my multiplat games for this gen.

I think that's probably the best way to look at it, think about which console you want as your primary, then maybe get others for any exclusives you want. I understand feeling a sense of achievement from the profile you've created, but I wouldn't see it as "abandoning" it. If you've spent a long time in a game, gotten all the achievements/trophies and then shelf it for years, probably to never play it again, have you "abandoned" it? No, you've completed it in its entirety and you hopefully have some fond memories of it. That's how I see my own profile as well, it's full of games I've liked enough to platinum/100%, and others I've 100%ed just for the sake of it, admittedly. But it's a nice little portfolio of my gaming history. If anything, one thing I do regret is spending so much time on Playstation games that have trophies, that I ended up neglecting games that don't for far too long. Achievements/trophies are fun and can be quite addictive, but there's so many great games out there you'd probably really enjoy, albeit they don't have any trophies/achievements.

My Xbox One is probably my most neglected console, with me maybe only playing 2-3 games on it per year since 2015 or so, if that. But I don't regret my purchase, as it still has some exclusives that I'm very happy to have played and own. Of course, it's lost some exclusives over the years, but many consoles do (unless it's Nintendo 1st party games of course).

• Like 1

I've always been a multi-machine gamer. Never cared about the logo on the box; it's always been about the games. Having said that, I guess I did technically ditch Xbox for PC.

I bought an Xbox One it's first year, mainly for Sunset Overdrive and Ori & the Blind Forest. Wasn't long before I grew disappointed with the lack of upcoming exclusives. Not too long after that, Scalebound got cancelled. That's when I started giving my Xbox One the stink eye. Then Phil Spencer announced that all future Xbox games would eventually be released on PC, and I decided I'd had enough. Sold that ugly VCR-lookin' paperweight on eBay and haven't considered new Xbox hardware since.

I'd already been a casual PC gamer for a few years, but that's what really got me invested in the platform. It's since become my go-to place for gaming. BTW, above I used the word "technically" because I still occasionally buy and play games for my 360. It's a great console, and unless it breaks on me, I'm sure I will keep enjoying it for years to come.

I know it looks like I haven’t played many games on ps but that’s just because I moved country’s so it was easier to make a new account. That being said I kinda switched to Xbox this gen like Im excited for what sony has to offer but their very anti consumer stances have put me off.  

Ive actually struggled a bit with this same thing I enjoy trophy hunting more than achievements i like the finality of it with the plat. The way I worked it out in my head that yeah I’m not buying every game on PS but I still can Trophy hunt there’s still the exclusives and I can occasionally get a 3rd party title to fill that itch I get.   I pretty sure someone said the same thing earlier you’re not leaving PlayStation totally so that work you put in is not going anywhere.  

• Like 1

Trophies are allot more fun then achievements for me tbh, though I won't be playing any cross platform games on PS5 until a decent 3rd party controller is available. Idk I left achievements some where around 50,000 from the 360 era so it's not all bad.

At the end of the day your account isn't going anywhere, maybe one day once PS5s are more avaialble worldwide you can buy one and continue your path of trophies.

As long you're having fun gaming whatever console you're gaming on that's what matters the most Imo. Also achievements are not that bad and can be fullfing as trophies at times.

• Like 1

I have no intentions of getting a PS5 atm, so I guess that would mean that eventually my profile will become a ghost town and the PS4 will join its friends in the closet. I've had other consoles in the past and always had a semi-reliable PC, so it's not uncommon for me to play other things, though I've had trophy streaks that glued me to my PS4 unlike anything else. I'm not sure if I can even get to 100 right now tho, I'm not very excited about returning to old games in my profile and chances are I might not find 20 more new games for the system that I actually care to play  and plat, since the gen has basically ended already.

Cause i had not so much money in the past; i decide to buy a XBOX360( around three hundred Euros in the basic version)in 2006 instad a PS3(around sixhunderd Euros that time). And since back then i also had a new XBOX360 slim in black after 2010 my basic version  of the console dying the red ring of death. At 2014  then I bought me a XBOX One; but literally i had all the time only three games for it; Witcher III(with add ons); Boy and his Blob and a retro indie rpg. Then when I saw Gravity Rush at the Media Markt in 2016 January; i decide to bought me a Playstation 4  at April  and so I switched from Microsoft to Sony and never regret it.

• Like 2

I do remember the 360 to ps3 switch, I replayed games I loved on 360 again on the ps3 even though many weren't optimized that well. The ps3 wasn't region locked except ps1 and ps2 games physical copies so that opened the door to a whole new library.

I've only left sony twice and that's partial as I still play ps3/Vita. The first time was from Ps4 to Xbox One, the reason? No external storage so any new games went to xb1

The second time is current with the PS5 to XBSX but only ps5 games, The Reason? I f'n hate the Dualsense no matter how much I pretended to like it so new games go to the XBSX. A temporary situation until the Cronus get's a firmware update or 3rd party controllers.

I've never truly left any console except the wii, wii u and switch.

• 5 weeks later...

I finally switched to Playstation as my primary console with the PS5. The 360 was my prim of gaming and racking up achievements. Achievements really sparked my interest in gaming. It motivated me to finish games and explore games that I wouldn't typically play. I felt a little burned out though by the end and felt that it was time to move on to other things to do with my free time. I had a PS4 and Xbox One but didn't really play too much. I was planning to switch then to the PS4 as my primary console but never got into it.

For whatever reason, the launches last year for both consoles got me interested. I always find the start of a new generation exciting and was caught up in trying to track down a PS5. The comparisons of exclusives between both consoles during the last couple generations tilted heavily towards Playstation and I felt I'd get more out of it. I've since gone back and been playing PS4 and PS3 games that I missed over the years. That same itch that I used to have for achievements has now been replaced by trophies. Although I still don't have nearly as much time to game as I used to in high school and college. It's also been refreshing since my PSN account didn't have a ton of games tagged to it so it allowed me to start building my completion percentage from a good starting point. There are still a few games that I need to go back and cleanup but for the most part it's been a pretty clean start.

Xbox Series X does look more promising this time around than the last gen and I have a few exclusives on my radar. I'll probably hold off getting an Xbox until there are multiple games that I want to jump into and when they start to have sales later down the road. I'm in no rush now and perfectly happy with the Playstation family of consoles for now.

• Like 1

^ There's nothing wrong with running both consoles at the end of the day. Halo infinite will never be on playstation. I'm current playing "The Orange Box" on XBSX even though it's better on my PC. The XBSX is  a great console imo, I do prefer it. Until both new consoles are readily available in stores I'd take whatever you can.

• Like 1