Looking for a used *real* PlayStation 3 controller

AJ_Radio

With the amount of "fake" PlayStation 3 controllers going around, it is becoming increasingly more difficult for me to get my hands on a real PS3 one.

Fake controllers have been around for at least a decade, but Amazon now has the habit of selling fake PS3 controllers that are being advertised as the real thing. They look identical, but how they feel is drastically different.

The fake PS3 controller doesn't feel or handle nearly as well as the real PS3 controller does. I have noticed the four main buttons look slightly off, pressing them down doesn't feel as firm as they should. Using the L2 and R2 shoulder buttons feels shitty, in contrast the L2 and R2 buttons on the real PS3 controller feel naturally a lot better. Touching the edges of the analog sticks feels rather sharp on the fake PS3 controller, whereas the real PS3 controller has smooth edges for its analog sticks.

Many reports I've heard regarding the fake PS3 controller say it doesn't have 16- direction movement. The real PS3 controller does.

This article I read the other night explains this in more detail:

https://imgur.com/gallery/kIRJQTt#:~:text=The real controller should show as "PLAYSTATION (R),slightly to the right on the fake controller.

What's most notable is I cannot be as precise on the fake PS3 controller as I can on the real PS3 controller. Yet if one were to just glance at both at a safe distance, they would say they look very much the same.

In Max Payne 3 I can't play as well with the fake PS3 controller either. Precision isn't nearly as good, considering it can only do 8-direction movement as opposed to 16-direction movement. It also fails to recognize whether I have simply tapped a button or held it down. With the real PS3 controller, I can control Max Payne and aim my shots noticeably better. The main issue is my real PS3 controller is quite worn.

Is there any place on the internet where I can find a real PlayStation 3 controller available? Most of what Amazon and eBay sell are fake PS3 controllers, not the real ones. Because the PS3 is now two generations behind current gen, it's getting more difficult to find an actual good controller.

I've tried some other fake controllers that had turbo option and whatnot, but they broke not too long after I bought them. While I like the PS4 controller, there are a couple things about it that bother me, and thus I don't mind shelling out some money for a real PS3 controller.

I will even accept other forum members selling their used controllers, if they are willing to.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 3

I have 2 genuine PS3 controllers from years ago like the PS3 slim release date, only issue is one of them does button inputs by itself and the other has a dead battery. Don’t know where you live I’m but I’m UK. If you’re willing to fix them you can take them for a fair price.

• Like 1

I made sure to grab boxed game+DS3 bundles when they were dirt cheap around 2015, along with a few PSTV+DS3 bundles when they were on clearance for $40-$70 in 2018, strictly for the controllers. Good luck finding confirmed, authentic controllers that aren't around the $50+ range as the market is now completely flooded with fakes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShazzzPS said:

I have 2 genuine PS3 controllers from years ago like the PS3 slim release date, only issue is one of them does button inputs by itself and the other has a dead battery. Don’t know where you live I’m but I’m UK. If you’re willing to fix them you can take them for a fair price.

Ugh. I'd rather not have to keep a PS3 controller pulled into the console just so it could work. Unfortunately I don't know of a place that is willing to fix older PS3 controllers.

45 minutes ago, SegaJAM said:

I made sure to grab boxed game+DS3 bundles when they were dirt cheap around 2015, along with a few PSTV+DS3 bundles when they were on clearance for $40-$70 in 2018, strictly for the controllers. Good luck finding confirmed, authentic controllers that aren't around the $50+ range as the market is now completely flooded with fakes.

You were able to pick up actual DS3 controllers back in 2015 - 2016. The "fake" PS3 controllers have since became far more commonplace. You can pay up to $30 - 50 for a fake one. If you want a real one, you have to pay more.

• Like 1

I bought a second hand PS3 controller from CeX but the plastic hole for one of the screws was cracked, so I had to remove the screw and clamp the handle down with tape. Finding a genuine DS3 in good condition these days is a crapshoot, although I've heard people have had luck with Facebook marketplace.

I myself recently bought a Brook Wingman XE controller adapter from Amazon. It's a USB adapter that plugs into your console and allows a DualShock 4, DualSense, or even an Xbox controller to have pretty much all the functions of a DualShock 3, including Sixaxis, PS button, and vibration. Only thing you won't get are the pressure sensitive face buttons but only a handful of games use those. I know you said the DualShock 4 bothers you with some aspects, but I'd recommend the adapter if push comes to shove.

Edited by rebelkiller93
  • Like 4

Fakes are pretty easy to spot, usually the text isn't centered correctly on the start and select buttons. The leds shine completely through the plastic which doesn't happen on real controllers. The sticker on the back doesn't fit perfectly filling out the entire back. You can also use gamepad tester on PC and it will tell you if the controller is real or not. Another way to test is the fakes don't have sixaxis motion, and you can move the controller around on the XMB, if the dots move around with the controller it is real, if they don't it is fake

• Like 2

I know this is completely irrelevant to this conversation and what you are asking for, for years though I have been using these controllers, got two of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384150434746?hash=item59712673ba:g:jWwAAOSwX1dgg~jJ

It doesn't have the rotating sensor, has no rumble and can't be used wireless. But the dpad is awesome and the buttons are very Megadrive/Genesis style in their touch and feel.

If you ever need a controller for 8 way or retro games, this one is great and in my opinion better than the DS3. My thumb certainly doesn't hurt playing Street Fighter II anymore.

[edit] Can't believe the price the guy is selling that as, considering the triangle, circle and X buttons seem to have been worn away.

(He is DEFINITELY not playing Warriors games anyway lol)

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hori-Pad-FPS-Plus-for-PS4-PS3-Black-/252541917493?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Just my not-regular-controller recommendation. This thing is better than the ps3 controller by a mile in my opinion and is easier to find than a ds3. It's turbo and is native with ps3 and ps4

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rebelkiller93 said:

I bought a second hand PS3 controller from CeX but the plastic hole for one of the screws was cracked, so I had to remove the screw and clamp the handle down with tape. Finding a genuine DS3 in good condition these days is a crapshoot, although I've heard people have had luck with Facebook marketplace.

I myself recently bought a Brook Wingman XE controller adapter from Amazon. It's a USB adapter that plugs into your console and allows a DualShock 4, DualSense, or even an Xbox controller to have pretty much all the functions of a DualShock 3, including Sixaxis, PS button, and vibration. Only thing you won't get are the pressure sensitive face buttons but only a handful of games use those. I know you said the DualShock 4 bothers you with some aspects, but I'd recommend the adapter if push comes to shove.

You can use ps4 controller wireless on ps3 without the need of any adapter

1 hour ago, rebelkiller93 said:

Thanks for that I’m gonna look into that USB because the sixaxis will work then with the PS4 or 5 controller.

17 minutes ago, KingmathyGoodman said:

Yeah but with the USB you get the other functionalities too, for example I used my PS4 control err to play godfather 2 but had no six axis functionality so with the USB I could actually plat the game now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KingmathyGoodman said:

I'm aware of that but you won't get Sixaxis function, vibration function, or a functional PS button. The adapter allows you to have all of that on the DS4, or DualSense. You need the Sixaxis for Uncharted 1, for example, as there's a section where you need to use the controller to balance on a log. Or even in The Last of Us when the flashlight battery runs low. That last one happened to me when finishing TLOU on PS3 with the DS4 and it was really annoying.

• Like 1

This has been the bane of my life ever since my last DS3 stopped working. Although you can use the DS4 and the DualSense on PS3 they don't work with the Gran Turismo games. On top of that many third party PS3 controllers are made cheaply and lack the analog stick sensitivity a game like Gran Turismo 6 requires. That means you can't make as precise steering inputs as you would with a DS3 which mars the gameplay experience quite badly.

• Like 1

So, I do have a brand new, unused DS3 that came with my Japanese PS3 that I bought when I was living in Japan. If you're interested in it, you're free to PM me. That being said, I want to talk about the alternatives. 

5 hours ago, ShazzzPS said:

I have 2 genuine PS3 controllers from years ago like the PS3 slim release date, only issue is one of them does button inputs by itself and the other has a dead battery.

This would be a good deal to capitalize on; as DS3 batteries are very easy to replace and very cheap. Unlike the controllers themselves, you don't need OEM batteries. Aftermarket ones tend to have a better life space. 

4 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I know this is completely irrelevant to this conversation and what you are asking for, for years though I have been using these controllers, got two of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384150434746?hash=item59712673ba:g:jWwAAOSwX1dgg~jJ

This is a good pad. It's a sort of variant of this model: 

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/ホリパッド3-ターボプラス-ブラック/dp/B00FYN47HU/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=qklnw&pf_rd_p=4b796ef4-ab4e-4d27-9f21-d61938990fdd&pf_rd_r=EVDW8Y6HNNC9RMEXSXG2&pd_rd_r=6b34fa76-5eef-4fb9-86b9-ca7889701da3&pd_rd_wg=B1KGA&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

HORIPAD3 for PS3 is a really excellent controller. They never released them here, so sadly they're only available in the Japanese market. That being said, Amazon JP does deliver to the US. 

3 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hori-Pad-FPS-Plus-for-PS4-PS3-Black-/252541917493?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Just my not-regular-controller recommendation. This thing is better than the ps3 controller by a mile in my opinion and is easier to find than a ds3. It's turbo and is native with ps3 and ps4

Now, we have the best option for you in this very thread. 

This is phenomenal pad. The fact that it is native with PS3 and PS4 makes it offer a great deal of utility. Great ergonomics, amazing thumbsticks, face buttons, triggers, etc. Can't go wrong with this one -- I personally like the red variant the most. You can also re-assign buttons on it if you're wanting custom controls. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

So, I do have a brand new, unused DS3 that came with my Japanese PS3 that I bought when I was living in Japan. If you're interested in it, you're free to PM me. That being said, I want to talk about the alternatives. 

I might be interested in that new DS3 but I'll wait on AJ response since it's his topic and he asked first ? 

• Like 1

I don’t know about the internet, but if you’re OK buying some inexpensive used ones maybe try some local options. I have a handful of genuine PS3 controllers and they were all sourced locally, either through classified ads or by visiting places like pawn shops and video game shops.

From what I’ve seen, buying online seems to be a big pain in the ass. Not only are they expensive as hell, but half the time you’re getting sold a fake one and can’t even verify that until it’s arrived.

• Like 1

Not exactly what you're looking for, but depending on price, you can get a used ps3 console off Ebay from someone and that will usually include their used original controller(s).  I bought two used consoles this year, one came with a functioning but damaged controller and the other came with a used but excellent condition controller.

Could always turn around and resell the console without the controller to recoup some if the cost

Also, have you considered the option of using a ds4 with the ps3? If I recall, it retains most of it's capability.

Edited by AJ_-_808
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CelestialRequiem said:

HORIPAD3 for PS3 is a really excellent controller. They never released them here, so sadly they're only available in the Japanese market. That being said, Amazon JP does deliver to the US. 

Now, we have the best option for you in this very thread. 

This is phenomenal pad. The fact that it is native with PS3 and PS4 makes it offer a great deal of utility. Great ergonomics, amazing thumbsticks, face buttons, triggers, etc. Can't go wrong with this one -- I personally like the red variant the most. You can also re-assign buttons on it if you're wanting custom controls. 

It's so weird that they are expensive because in erm, 2015 I think it was when I bought them, they had a ton of them in the store and I bought two because they were really cheap, the second is still in its box unused. Wish I had bought more actually, then again who would have predicted the prices of controllers getting so high after the product of ps3 got ceased.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. 

Shipping and handling might be quite a lot depending on where the controller is coming from. 

The Horipad3 might be an option. I don’t know it handles or how the buttons feel. If that is worth a purchase I will look into it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Thanks everyone. 

Shipping and handling might be quite a lot depending on where the controller is coming from. 

The Horipad3 might be an option. I don’t know it handles or how the buttons feel. If that is worth a purchase I will look into it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Sony-Playstation-3-PS3-SixAxis-DualShock-3-Controller-OEM-CECHZC2U-Tested-/384294677351?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0.    A real.  Own same one 

This might be a little of a tangent but has anyone looked at repairing them?

I have shared this frustration for a while now as my controllers have one by one stopped working properly. The difficulty in replacing them has lead me to researching diy repairs on YouTube… so far I have fixed 3 of my controllers and they are working just like new again. 

(My controllers all began doing random inputs when I turned them on, making them impossible to use) 

• Like 1