Looking for a used *real* PlayStation 3 controller

AJ_Radio

12 minutes ago, black__bunny said:

This might be a little of a tangent but has anyone looked at repairing them?

I have shared this frustration for a while now as my controllers have one by one stopped working properly. The difficulty in replacing them has lead me to researching diy repairs on YouTube… so far I have fixed 3 of my controllers and they are working just like new again. 

(My controllers all began doing random inputs when I turned them on, making them impossible to use) 

The guides on ifixit are very thorough for walking through repairing (and cleaning) DualShock 3 controllers. Aside from sourcing some good batteries, it’s completely possible to repair everything about them with pretty much a screwdriver and some isopropyl alcohol. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Also, have you considered the option of using a ds4 with the ps3? If I recall, it retains most of it's capability.

This is true, but the biggest problem is that DS4 has no XMB button support, so you wouldn't be able to access the XMB menu from within games. This is why while I use DS4 when playing PS3 games, I keep my failing PS3 controller connected solely for XMB menu usage.

16 hours ago, KingmathyGoodman said:

You can use ps4 controller wireless on ps3 without the need of any adapter

some PS3 games won't recognize a dualshock 4 controller (max payne 3 for example... which coincidentally is a game OP is currently playing)

Yeah I think my controllers slowly becoming ineffective was the biggest factor for me retiring from PS3 trophy hunting. However, what I would do and you should probably do, is give repairing a through go before you try buying a new one. You might end up saving some money and what's the worst that could happen, they already don't work.

Edited by bikeman223
  • Like 1

all of mine has been legit ones that i normally get off of ebay by using the model no. of the controller, normally pick them up for about a tenner untested as if there's a problem with the certain model, there's an easy fix for it.

Edited by Leenewbe

On 8/14/2021 at 5:13 PM, black__bunny said:

This might be a little of a tangent but has anyone looked at repairing them?

I have shared this frustration for a while now as my controllers have one by one stopped working properly. The difficulty in replacing them has lead me to researching diy repairs on YouTube… so far I have fixed 3 of my controllers and they are working just like new again. 

(My controllers all began doing random inputs when I turned them on, making them impossible to use) 

Is there any store or some place where I can money to have them replace parts and buttons? I think that would be great if there was such an option available.

On 8/14/2021 at 5:29 PM, DaivRules said:

The guides on ifixit are very thorough for walking through repairing (and cleaning) DualShock 3 controllers. Aside from sourcing some good batteries, it’s completely possible to repair everything about them with pretty much a screwdriver and some isopropyl alcohol. 

One of my DuelShock 3 controllers is damaged inside. Would also have to replace the screws since they're worn. I also noticed that putting the L2/R2 buttons back into place can be a pain in the ass, especially if you weren't careful.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:10 PM, Helyx said:

I have loads of authentic PS3 controllers, but they ain't cheap.

The cheapest you're going to find is $55 - 60 for an authentic one, and that's if you're lucky. Buying a controller for a console that's now two generations ago, I don't know if that's worth it.

On 8/14/2021 at 10:49 PM, bikeman223 said:

Yeah I think my controllers slowly becoming ineffective was the biggest factor for me retiring from PS3 trophy hunting. However, what I would do and you should probably do, is give repairing a through go before you try buying a new one. You might end up saving some money and what's the worst that could happen, they already don't work.

The worst is trying to put the damn thing back together. I'd had problems with L2 and R2 not working after a while. If the analog sticks start to drift, I would just get a replacement controller.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

The cheapest you're going to find is $55 - 60 for an authentic one, and that's if you're lucky. Buying a controller for a console that's now two generations ago, I don't know if that's worth it.

The last few I sold were $80 each.

4 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Nope. Far too much. I bought a Horipad3 controller, hopefully it works out. In the meantime, I'm using my PS4 controller.

The best and cheapest option is this Magic-s pro or Magis-s pro Mayflash; it works on all consoles and controllers. With this adapter, you can play with any controller on any console flawlessly; just update the firmware for it to work on PS5 and Xbox series X. I even tested it on a ps4 with Bluetooth connection issues and it worked like a charm.

Edited by KingmathyGoodman
  • Like 1