Oh Dear

Gecko-Byte

3 hours ago, DeepEyes7 said:

More than the official one?

Yes. While the official one is broken in spirit due to the flood of quick plats and autopops, it still works as intended (standard value for every trophy)

The rarity one is actually a technical mess if I recall correctly.  It doesn't factor in flagged accounts and I think a CRT member mentioned there was something wrong with the coding.

ZJ the Ball more like ZJ the Absolute Baller B)

Jokes aside, I don't like these games making it to the PS Store as much as the next person, but some people are really blowing this out of proportion/gatekeeping/both. The videogame market is completely different now than it was during the Atari period - there won't be a decline in PlayStation's sales numbers, much less a videogame crash, just because there are some crap games being released every week, and I bet Sony (and 99% of the playerbase) doesn't even care in the slightest. It's a very niche hobby after all.

Likewise, I agree that a person whose profile contains plats like Max Payne 3 (since that's often used as an example) is much better than someone who gets every Breakthrough... but why not just let the latter be? They're happy doing their own thing, with their own money (hopefully :P), and let's face it - you're not changing their opinion, as well as they won't change yours. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that merely cracking a few (OK, maybe more than a few) jokes is bad, since it's just for the banter... but there are people who, at this point, are basically almost lunging at throats through their screens over some random games.

Oh, well. I still like the idea of the rarity leaderboard, and it could help settle bickerings like this one (even though I think capping it at 50% wouldn't be a good idea, since it's a low cutoff point nowadays and not representative of the real EZPZ, and I would personally go for a 75% cap... but that's for another thread). One can hope.

22 hours ago, Eagle said:

ZJ the Ball more like ZJ the Absolute Baller B)

Jokes aside, I don't like these games making it to the PS Store as much as the next person, but some people are really blowing this out of proportion/gatekeeping/both. The videogame market is completely different now than it was during the Atari period - there won't be a decline in PlayStation's sales numbers, much less a videogame crash, just because there are some crap games being released every week, and I bet Sony (and 99% of the playerbase) doesn't even care in the slightest. It's a very niche hobby after all.

Likewise, I agree that a person whose profile contains plats like Max Payne 3 (since that's often used as an example) is much better than someone who gets every Breakthrough... but why not just let the latter be? They're happy doing their own thing, with their own money (hopefully :P), and let's face it - you're not changing their opinion, as well as they won't change yours. Just to clarify, I'm not saying that merely cracking a few (OK, maybe more than a few) jokes is bad, since it's just for the banter... but there are people who, at this point, are basically almost lunging at throats through their screens over some random games.

Oh, well. I still like the idea of the rarity leaderboard, and it could help settle bickerings like this one (even though I think capping it at 50% wouldn't be a good idea, since it's a low cutoff point nowadays and not representative of the real EZPZ, and I would personally go for a 75% cap... but that's for another thread). One can hope.

You don't have to go back to the Atari generation. You can just go back to the PS2, early PS3/Xbox 360 generations to see how much the video game industry has changed.

The fact is, money is all that really matters at this point. This shovelware crap doesn't require good use of brains and experience to make. When you charge chump change for this crap, people won't think twice about what they're buying into.

It's the same with lottery scratch tickets. Gambling. I've spoken to people who have gambled away their life savings, and they ignored my advice.

All this to say, the standards have changed. As someone who has fairly high standards, these games are crap. It's like those stupid TikTok internet trends and those YouTube clips. Some of the worst, bottom of the barrel crap I've ever experienced in my life. And every time I noted that there was something wrong with those, people just brushed me off.

It's not so much people indulging in easy platinums, it's the culture we live in today. Instant gratification is everywhere, the easy platinums are just a reflection of that.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

You don't have to go back to the Atari generation. You can just go back to the PS2, early PS3/Xbox 360 generations to see how much the video game industry has changed.

The fact is, money is all that really matters at this point. This shovelware crap doesn't require good use of brains and experience to make. When you charge chump change for this crap, people won't think twice about what they're buying into.

It's the same with lottery scratch tickets. Gambling. I've spoken to people who have gambled away their life savings, and they ignored my advice.

All this to say, the standards have changed. As someone who has fairly high standards, these games are crap. It's like those stupid TikTok internet trends and those YouTube clips. Some of the worst, bottom of the barrel crap I've ever experienced in my life. And every time I noted that there was something wrong with those, people just brushed me off.

It's not so much people indulging in easy platinums, it's the culture we live in today. Instant gratification is everywhere, the easy platinums are just a reflection of that.

Atari had its share of shovel ware, including the infamous E.T. game.  And there was no way to patch it back then.  NES became so popular, there were a lot of trash offerings that make Ratalaika games look deep by comparison.  The Wii as well.  Move your arms and throw whatever theme on it and call it a game.

The real difference today is the medium (or barrier to entry).  In the old days, it was harder (costlier) to get to market.  You needed to put together $$$ up front to produce physically.  Store shelf space was limited so it was far from a guarantee you could get it.

Today, because of the limitless digital market, there is no real barrier to entry.  

If there was a digital market back then, there would be just as much shovel ware.  It is not that companies just went rogue or got greedy (I.e. looked to make money for its shareholders).

Edited by djb5f

11 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Atari had its share of shovel ware, including the infamous E.T. game.  And there was no way to patch it back then.  NES became so popular, there were a lot of trash offerings that make Ratalaika games look deep by comparison.  The Wii as well.  Move your arms and throw whatever theme on it and call it a game.

The real difference today is the medium (or barrier to entry).  In the old days, it was harder (costlier) to get to market.  You needed to put together $$$ up front to produce physically.  Store shelf space was limited so it was far from a guarantee you could get it.

Today, because of the limitless digital market, there is no real barrier to entry.  

If there was a digital market back then, there would be just as much shovel ware.  It is not that companies just went rogue or got greedy (I.e. looked to make money for its shareholders).

Digital didn't exist back then. Everything was analog. Games were more expensive. You could pay over $60 - 70 for a new Nintendo 64 game only to find it was complete crap. The problem? You were stuck with it.

The difference is technology. You're speaking of 40 years ago, when a lot of people couldn't even afford an Atari. Another difference I've noticed is those trash offerings were made to be extremely difficult. Go back and watch those old Angry Video Game Nerd episodes. A lot of old games were extremely unfair and difficult.

Today, everybody has accessibility in mind. I appreciate it in games that make the gameplay experience more enhanced. Accessibility such as having cheats that completely trivialize something isn't necessarily a good thing. Cheats were handled differently in the old days, people mostly used them to have fun.

Because there is no real barrier to entry, there is a lot more shit out there. That's why I loved the internet in the old days before the mainstream took a hold of it. There was a barrier of entry to even access the internet, which filtered a lot of the jackasses using it today. Now, any moron can stand on their soapbox and cry to the world.

Not everybody deserves to make a game. Steam is basically a wasteland of shovelware because it's so easy to make shovelware now. In the old days of Atari and NES, people not only needed $$$, they had to have some semblance of knowledge in programming their games. That was a lot more difficult to do back in the 1980s and early 1990s.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/8/2021 at 10:25 AM, Vergil said:

Its ridicilous at this point really. They can just sell the platinums now. I did buy Super Destronaut for an thl event over at pst. Ive never regret it so much for adding it to my profile but heck even that took 20 minutes. Less than 2 minutes is damm silly. 

Well, they are selling platinums actually. 

• Like 2

On 18/8/2021 at 10:11 PM, Rowbokop said:

Right, here you go:

https://psnprofiles.com/leaderboard/rarity

Can all you haters go chase this leaderboard and just leave us alone?

?

Wait, since when is there a rarity leaderboard? Why I did not know? I thought it was just a possibility, 

How can I see my rank in that leaderboard? Amd why it is not viewable in the main page?

18 minutes ago, Pottercito_ said:

Wait, since when is there a rarity leaderboard? Why I did not know? I thought it was just a possibility, 

How can I see my rank in that leaderboard? Amd why it is not viewable in the main page?

It was just a trial from years ago, not an official one and not updated (that's why there is no link from the main page)...

Edited by DeepEyes7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

They are indeed. That's the business model these hacks are using. I can't see these games doing much good on other platforms like Steam.

This! If all of these games were "only 100%" games nobody would gave a shit. The funny thing is when people say "No platinum == a bad game" yeah yeah of course. It's not wrong to play some short games (I platinumed "Read Death" and "Void Gore" recently which are also "short games" but they had oldschool vibes for me and the soundtrack was great too. The trophy list was sadly very easy, go check them out on YT I believe you would like those 2 games too) but those games aren't garbage like ZJ, Spectrewood, Violetti Gotti and all those other MS Paint games. I mean imaging buying a PS5 and playing those windows 95 games.. but yeah why you want to "waste" your time and have no effort on ONE game when you can get 30 platinums in that time, right? Everything have to be very easy and fast and quantity over quality. 

• 1 month later...