Oh Dear

Gecko-Byte

5 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

This is exactly the same piece of advice a lot of people give to those who gamble excessively. It's not as simple as telling somebody who is dying from lung cancer to quit smoking cigarettes, or quit taking meth, or stop gambling their life savings away. It's an addiction, and for many people it is hard to just quit. Microtransactions/lootboxes are a new form of gambling. You spin a wheel and you keep spending money until you get something that you want. It's not as simple as just quitting.

Well what do you consider the addiction to be? Playing games, Trophy hunting, or competing on the leaderboards? 

To me it seems like the "addiction" or obsession is over the leaderboards. I once chased the platinums. I once thought it was fun to see my scores rising. Then when I kept playing games I didnt like, I realized all I cared about were the leaderboards! I was playing these to climb rank! No other reason, the same reason Im sure everyone else is doing it.

If the addiciton was about gaming in general or trophy hunting, then I don't think this thread (or many others) would exist. If you have an addiction to playing games or trophy hunting, its not really affecting anyone (except maybe yourself), therefore nobody would truly care. 

People only care about these games coming out because they feel like it hinders their chance of climbing leaderboards. When really you should just collect trophies for games you enjoy and not care about the trophies others earn. If people stopped comparing what they had too what others had, then these issues wouldn't exist.

As far as it not being fair goes, is anything ever 100% fair? When I first stumbled upon PSNP and was looking for easy plats, most of them were VNs based out of Japan. I don't have access to these games, is that fair? What about people that work full time jobs opposed to part time jobs or no work at all? Those people will have more time than others to obtain these trophies. Is that fair? Its these thoughts that I bring up CoD leaderboards. Nothing isn't exactly fair or balanced.

If theres a way to get ahead, no matter how silly, people will do it to compete. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OFFICER_OILDAB said:

People only care about these games coming out because they feel like it hinders their chance of climbing leaderboards. When really you should just collect trophies for games you enjoy and not care about the trophies others earn. If people stopped comparing what they had too what others had, then these issues wouldn't exist.

I don't disagree with all of what you said but I do disagree with this. These games shouldn't be on the network. People should not be playing these games, and they likely wouldn't be enough to maintain these "devs" if the games didn't have plats. They don't exist for enjoyment; they exist for trophies, and as @B1rvine articulated that is BAD for real games and real enjoyment in the long-run 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

The articles in my first post are quite informative. 

To add to too many choices: The quality of the entire ecosystem looks bad when the bad outweighs the good 200 to 1. Sony should proportionately make games available to what their user base wants, and trophy hunters are less than 1% of the overall gamer pool. Even then, maybe half of trophy hunters even want these. 

As a GAMER, I’d like to see quality games on the store. Not infinite amounts of 1 minute experiments that look like a six-year old made them.

Think of it this way: At your favorite restaurant, do you want to see the 10 tastiest options on the planet? Or would you like to see 1 semi-decent meal, and 9 sets of drugs-mixed-in with food choices “since a tiny subset of foodies ‘love it?’ “

Regarding the gaming meltdown, I doubt another crash will happen, but Sony could potentially lose their market dominance, etc. but there’s definitely parallels here, like “rampant publishers” etc.

I agree with some of your points, and I am in no way challenging you, I want that to be clear.

However, you said it yourself, trophy hunters are 1% of the overall gamer pool. Who else are these released games really affecting? I have quite a few gamer friends IRL and online, almost everyone in my family plays video games, and amongst all of them Im the only trophy hunter. None of these other players are even aware of more than half of the trash that gets released, because they aren't looking for it. The average gamer sees trailers for games that interest them and buy those games. Not many people ponder the PSN store looking for their next game to play when they already have knowledge of the AAA games soon to be released.

As a gamer, I want to see quality games in my library, because that's all the really matters. If they're in the store, I don't need to worry about them. They aren't taking up space on my console or being jammed down my throat being told I have to play them. People definitely HAVE to play these titles if they want to COMPETE on the leaderboards. Which is the only problem people are having with them. It affects their position on leaderboards.

Your restaurant analogy definitely puts it in perspective because my first thought is, "Well I wouldn't eat their anymore and find a new restaurant" which is your point exactly, Im sure. However, the PS market has far more than 1 decent option for games. So when people are looking at the menu, theyll skip the appetizers and go straight for the entrees.

There was a time I recall seeing on the news all sorts of people saying video games caused violence. Now, Im no professional, but I feel if someone has a thought like that it wouldn't be too far fetched to think they might've believe video games should quit being made all together.  Maybe for some of these people if affected their lives directly. So because they felt so strongly about it, does that mean it shouldn't exist? Should video games have disappeared forever? Like the companies you and others are complaining about?

Again, I am not challenging you, but just because we feel strongly about something doesn't mean the reaction to it needs to be so extreme.

I no longer chase easy plats. Yeah I have quite a few on my account, do it for a year and they add up quick xD But I dont care others are still doing it. I only care about what my account looks like. Ive been working hard to earn UR plats, or back log old PS3 games. 

10m plats aside, this wasn't the only problem with leaderboard tracking. Multiple game stacks Ps3/vita/Ps4 and now PS5. There are cross region stacks, that requires players to falsify information about their residency, if they want to obtain them.

Like others have said on this thread, change how the leaderboards work if its causing discontent in the *Trophy hunting community *. Saying these companies shouldn't exist doesn't change anything, we the consumer/player need to be the change itself.

Change how you play, change how you hunt, change the leaderboards, do something other than let this impact you negatively because its not worth it.

• Like 2

I already said it in enough threads how much I despise these games and what they are doing to the trophy hunter community but there was another point in that thread that annoys me too and

that is that the starting page is cluttered with that crap and "normal" releases are barely visible.

It is also not fun anymore to click on people's signatures aka profiles and only see that garbage. It always disappoints me to se a high platinum number and completion rate only to find out it is beacause of these "games" and not because of a certain dedication to that hobby besides cranking up the numbers.

13 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I am surprised Jim Sterling hasn't taken this up. He was originally the guy who play and point at all the shit games games on Steam and then PS4. Now that a perfect opportunity has arrived, he seems to be too busy in his own rabbit hole at the moment.

Japan Studio closed just days after Jim Ryan said that they are heavily invested in Japan. Im sure you noticed a pattern with Jim by now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I don't disagree with all of what you said but I do disagree with this. These games shouldn't be on the network. People should not be playing these games, and they likely wouldn't be enough to maintain these "devs" if the games didn't have plats. They don't exist for enjoyment; they exist for trophies, and as @B1rvine articulated that is BAD for real games and real enjoyment in the long-run 

Why shouldn't people be playing these games? If someone has fun playing these games, then they should have the choice to play them. While I was buying these types of games, I chose to buy and play them for the plat, but my 6 year old LOVES them! Lots of these games are platformers, which is his favorite type of game. We have Mario games on the WiiU, we have other quality games for kids on the playstation as well, and yet he never complained about the quality of these games. He plays games for fun, which is what people need to start doing again. But because people are making the choice to buy these games for the wrong reasons, means we should take them away altogether, from those that are actually amused and content playing them?

I do agree with you on the point that devs wouldn't stay afloat if it weren't for the platinum they attached to their poorly made games, but that should be left up to the consumer.

Edited by OFFICER_OILDAB
Added to
  • Like 2

Rofl, this guy though. 

My son -"Dad, that looks fun. Can I play?"

3rd party-"Dont let your kid play those games, myself and a whole group of people say theyre bad" 

Me-"No son, other people do not approve of this"

(A hypothetical)

10 years later... 

My son- "Dad, Im gay"

Parts of society- "Your kid cannot be gay! It goes against our beliefs!"

Now, from @ThatMuttGuy perspective, I should just do whatever best suits other people and what they feel is wrong. So to be a good father I should tell my son

"No son, you cannot be gay because other people are not accepting of the way you spend your life, and neither will I"

And that Ladys and gentlemen is whats wrong with society. No matter what community you're in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

Way to completely take everything I said out of context. I'm not arguing because I don't really care. 

Yet you cared enough to say something in the first place, starting off with taking something I said out of context! But now that I took what you said out of context you don't care xD

To new readers, my first post in this thread was to only give some people, that these games are upsetting, outside perspective. Trying to give a different view point from someone that's been in the same exact boat, but climbed out and feels better about it. 

If a person is not happy about their hobby, the way their time is spent, or virtually anything... The only thing that can create change is oneself. Do something different.

7 minutes ago, Exeshow678 said:

well...nothing's stopping you from playing games you want to play

Rofl, well yeah obviously. Clearly that was written to be funny, and is in no way a serious statement.

I do play the games I want to play, and thats been my point all along ;P 

I hope others can learn to do the same.

Edited by OFFICER_OILDAB
Added to
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rowbokop said:

It would be different if these kind of games were like $20 or something and people still lapped them up. Then you have a real addiction. Remember, these games are literally $1 US. 

$1 multiplied by how many stacks, plus *rata games etc.

How many of these have you done to "catch up" overall?

Edited by AJ_-_808
Rata typo

10 hours ago, Rowbokop said:

I am fully aware of what I’m doing and obviously wouldn’t pay any more than what they’re charging because that’s all they’re worth. It would be different if these kind of games were like $20 or something and people still lapped them up. Then you have a real addiction. Remember, these games are literally $1 US.

Addiction has nothing to do with the money spend. It's about not keeping yourself hold of on a certain thing. That you only think about the addiction. That you want to spend all the money you have on it whatever it takes. It's driving what you want to do.

Economics is not the cause of an addiction, but it can result in a bad financial situation if the prices are high and the addiction is pretty bad.  With the amount of $1 I don't suspect it to go that far though. also if people are sharing that shit the costs become even lower.

Do note as well that addiction is normally seen as a negative thing and nobody really wants to admit to that.

I add games to my watchlist and only buy them when they go on sale and have set myself a limit of $3-4 NZD max per game. If it’s above that, I don’t buy it, doesn’t matter how easy it is.

Which is a really good thing and everybody should follow the lead of budgetizing ezpz plats and games in general!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

They're worthless, they're worth nothing. Flash games in 2003 which were free were worth more than this.

But that's like saying, oh well $1 scratch off tickets aren't a real gambling addiction because they're only $1 each, I'm not paying for the $20 premium scratch off cards. Yet then you'll buy multiple $1 cards a week, and that's not the same problem? 

Yes but those games didn’t get you platinums ?

And yes it’s still only $1. I could spend spend money on junk food that makes me fat, cigarettes that kill my lungs, booze that gets me drunk, expensive clothes that would just be surplus, a bunch of tech that I don’t need just to have toys, but I don’t. I have a mortgage and bills to pay. My job pays me well enough that I’m left with disposable income after all my expenses without having to dip into savings……I’m quite happy to and can afford to spend a couple bucks here and there on something that brings me enjoyment.

It’s not impacting on any other part of my life and I’m not spending money I don’t have… so no, I maintain, it’s still not a problem.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

$1 multiplied by how many stacks, plus *rata games etc.

How many of these have you done to "catch up" overall?

A few lol. I’ve managed to get to 6th in my country with about 570 ezpz plats in the space of about 4 months and about another 50 real platinums over the course of a year before that. I doubt I’ll get any higher as that would require significantly more time and money. I have about 60-70 left to do that I’ve already paid for but haven’t done (about half of which are PS5 stacks that I obviously can’t do until I get PS5 which won’t be for a while).

So it’s fair to say I’ve done my dash and almost cleared my back log. I’m not buying any more games until I do and I’ll see how I feel about it after that, if I want to keep buy the super cheap ones as they come and plat them straight away, I will but I suspect there wouldn’t be much point. I’m happy to have gotten where I am considering I started at 252,000th odd in the world to 1,300th odd and 1,500 in the country to 6th. My goal was top 10 in NZ and so I’m happy with that.

36 minutes ago, Rowbokop said:

And yes it’s still only $1. 

Ok, I'm not really trying to sit here all night playing games of semantics with you, but none of what you said is in any way the point. We're all reasonably adults, we're all reasonably choosing how to spend our income, we all have our vices. You specifically said "Then you have a real addiction" with regards to the difference that apparently exists between spending a little money and spending some arbitrary amount more, on the same vice. I'm saying, the addiction can still exist just because it isn't putting a person in financial peril. What I quoted you saying before and my response is STILL what I have to say to you, since what you responded with is almost like a response to something I wasn't even talking about

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Ok, I'm not really trying to sit here all night playing games of semantics with you, but none of what you said is in any way the point. We're all reasonably adults, we're all reasonably choosing how to spend our income, we all have our vices. You specifically said "Then you have a real addiction" with regards to the difference that apparently exists between spending a little money and spending some arbitrary amount more, on the same vice. I'm saying, the addiction can still exist just because it isn't putting a person in financial peril. What I quoted you saying before and my response is STILL what I have to say to you, since what you responded with is almost like a response to something I wasn't even talking about

All good man. Sorry, if I missed your point and there’s no hard feelings from my end. It’s an open discussion and I don’t think anyone is wrong or right. My whole point is we should all just let everyone do what they enjoy and not bash or criticize each other over what we do. If people want lots of easy plats, that’s cool, if people only want bigger games, thats cool and if people like myself want a combination of the two that’s also cool.

I’m personally done with this thread, but I will say this. Playing these hundreds of games has significantly improved my skills in terms of timing, reflexes, logic etc. to the point when I play other proper games with friends they comment on how much I’ve improved. I know this probably would’ve happened if I’d kept playing other games as well, but this introduced me to a completely different type of game that I hadn’t played before that requires quite a different skillset (they’re not all 1 min press X exercises) so it’s that’s something else that I’ve genuinely gotten out of it.

I know this comment will get ridiculed as well but it’s all good. 

• Like 2