Oh Dear

Gecko-Byte

I play alot of stuff I don't like btw. Like I said I buy everything so there's bound to be stuff I get and don't like. Red dead or fallout 76 for example, can't stand either one or enjoy them but will still play them occasionally. While some games that are universally hated I actually have enjoyed. Dark alliance being one that comes to mind.

1 minute ago, syn1905 said:

I play alot of stuff I don't like btw.

My entire discussion this entire time was, I don't feel like you need to do that. That's all. If you genuinely liked those games, we wouldn't be having this discussion. 

You have your reasons (to which they perplex me, admittedly) but I'm glad you were honest and civil with me. 

1 minute ago, CelestialRequiem said:

My entire discussion this entire time was, I don't feel like you need to do that. That's all. If you genuinely liked those games, we wouldn't be having this discussion. 

You have your reasons (to which they perplex me, admittedly) but I'm glad you were honest and civil with me. 

It would probably behoove me to wait until I research a game before I buy them but I usually just go ok I don't have that and just buy it. Even games I've tried like red dead and days gone I've played and said to myself Im not enjoying myself but for me it's usually the mindset I'm in atm and if I go back to the games months or even years later them something clicks and I enjoy it then. 

5 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I didn't judge Ghost of Tsushima for its trophy rarity. I have no interest in the game because I don't like those kinds of games. Why are you perverting my statements? 

Show me the elitism. I'm wanting people to play games they like. If they actually liked these games, they would also play them elsewhere. Also, give me a break, you never supported a trophy rarity leaderboard, lmao. 

Make me eat my own words. Show me a post of yours that hasn't been edited after this one posted of you supporting that. 

But hey, it's like you said, if I wanted to go for a trophy rarity and wanted a leaderboard to reflect those efforts, who are you to tell me those efforts are fruitless? 

I know you're deliberately perverting my words again, but I'll spell it out for you: 

I only want people to play the games that they like. Even @syn1905 just admitted that he doesn't really do that.

I appreciate the honesty. Truly. 

"Like it deserves to".

And I did support the rarity leaderboard as you can see in the thread referring to it. However I do not support the approach how to get thst leaderboard and I especially do not support the elitism behind it, since it will be used as a tool of harassment, gatekeeping and elitism. Basically thats the concern I have, though it means avoiding the forums then since that is the fertile ground for trolls and harassers.

Don't paint yourself as the good guy. You stat shame people, even in this thread, and you did before with me. Good intentions, right?

• Like 2

Hey there @Thrillhelm

Welcome to the chat, we definitely aren't gatekeeping anything, you're very welcome to join in the discussion.

Looking at your statistics, it seems like you started your current quest, from around July 2020 or so, just over a year ago when suddenly your trophy collection rate spiked and has been continuing that way ever since.

Would you like to share with us how your past year has gone? Genuinely interested in hearing your views about all these easy plats and how you feel you about gaming moving forward.

[edit] Seems you posted almost exactly same time as me.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

Just now, syn1905 said:

It would probably behoove me to wait until I research a game before I buy them but I usually just go ok I don't have that and just buy it. Even games I've tried like red dead and days gone I've played and said to myself Im not enjoying myself but for me it's usually the mindset I'm in atm and if I go back to the games months or even years later them something clicks and I enjoy it then. 

In my experience, it's best to look at two things: 

1.) The game studio

2.) The game director

The studio, usually, has a sort of culture to their approach with development. Now, there are exceptions to every rule. For example, Rockstar games, is a studio where I dislike most of their games. However, I love Manhunt. That is the one Rockstar game that I think is actually quality. 

The director usually has a code or philosophy to their development. Hideki Kamiya (Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, etc.) makes amazing games. So I know to look toward him when I want something fun to play. 

1 minute ago, Thrillhelm said:

"Like it deserves to".

...Right, because the game is so easy that if 50% of the people on the site can play it, then why would it be on a rarity leaderboard...?

You aren't making any sense. 

3 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

And I did support the rarity leaderboard as you can see in the thread referring to it.

Again, prove me wrong and make me eat my own words. Show me the post. 

4 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

However I do not support the approach how to get that leaderboard and I especially do not support the elitism behind it, since it will be used as a tool of harassment, gatekeeping and elitism. Basically thats the concern I have, though it means avoiding the forums then since that is the fertile ground for trolls and harassers.

What elitism...? You still haven't given me an example of that. 

5 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Don't paint yourself as the good guy. You stat shame people, even in this thread, and you did before with me. Good intentions, right?

I'm sorry, are you deliberately being stupid? Where did I "stat shame" someone? I'm begging you, please show me the post. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CelestialRequiem said:

In my experience, it's best to look at two things: 

1.) The game studio

2.) The game director

The studio, usually, has a sort of culture to their approach with development. Now, there are exceptions to every rule. For example, Rockstar games, is a studio where I dislike most of their games. However, I love Manhunt. That is the one Rockstar game that I think is actually quality. 

The director usually has a code or philosophy to their development. Hideki Kamiya (Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, etc.) makes amazing games. So I know to look toward him when I want something fun to play. 

Oh there are definitely studios and directors I follow that I will buy and play right away. And I'm glad someone else doesn't think GTA is the end all be all ( the only one I enjoy is vice city). But I get weird when gaming. Most recent example being immortals fenyx rising, it came out I purchased it and played it for a couple hours and enjoyed what I've played but every time I go back to it I get bored fast and move on. It's no fault of the game idk why it's boring me and it probably has to do with me wanting to be uniterupted and just sink into it. I even bought all the dlc.

2 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Hey there @Thrillhelm

Welcome to the chat, we definitely aren't gatekeeping anything, you're very welcome to join in the discussion.

Looking at your statistics, it seems like you started your current quest, from around July 2020 or so, just over a year ago when suddenly your trophy collection rate spiked and has been continuing that way ever since.

Would you like to share with us how your past year has gone? Genuinely interested in hearing your views about all these easy plats and how you feel you about gaming moving forward.

[edit] Seems you posted almost exactly same time as me.

"We" is a bold statement because you are not talking on behalf of a group or majority. You post your opinion only.

"Starting a quest" is also a funny term since with a break coming from World of Tanks I hunt trophies since 2010. I said it before (not in this thread) that its resources management and if people think its tossing 1000s of dollars to game devs then you are doing it wrong. Multiple accs have other benefits too, just to say. Trophy hunt also means adapting to the circumstances, at least to me. Not going to talk on behalf of the people above me in the top 150.  There were easy games before that got exploited for trophies and now the methods have changed. I mean you could see that as well when you have looked at my account to stat shame me.

• Like 2

Just now, enaysoft said:

This is kinda anecdotal and what my friend told me after he went on a Ratalaika binge for about a year before he stopped.

He said he got a buzz when ever a trophy popped, if it was Bronze cool, Silver, even better, Gold, the best feeling! He told me that after getting a ton of easy plats, playing real games seemed slow. Like maybe with immortals fenyx rising you were playing, maybe you got lost, or felt like progress was slow, you weren't sure when your next bronze trophy pop was, so you started getting bored and just decided to play a game that you knew had trophy pops very soon and frequently too. He described how he had to have a Vita game on his desk and while playing a regular game, he had to pop off a trophy or two on his Vita to feel like he was making progress because he wasn't making any trophy progress on the current one.

I mean that feels like an addiction to me, and I can relate to it, a game that has 4 or 5 trophy pops all at once feels good, but then the final gold trophy before platinum might require 20 hours of grinding, and the feeling of doing that feels awful. I can relate to that feeling, so even though I won't ever play shit and cheap games, I do have this underwhelming feeling of slow progress sometimes, and I have no idea why I get those emotions. Sounds like you are getting bored not because the game is boring but because you haven't hit a trophy ping hit in a while.

It's also a strawman argument.

5 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

This is kinda anecdotal and what my friend told me after he went on a Ratalaika binge for about a year before he stopped.

He said he got a buzz when ever a trophy popped, if it was Bronze cool, Silver, even better, Gold, the best feeling! He told me that after getting a ton of easy plats, playing real games seemed slow. Like maybe with immortals fenyx rising you were playing, maybe you got lost, or felt like progress was slow, you weren't sure when your next bronze trophy pop was, so you started getting bored and just decided to play a game that you knew had trophy pops very soon and frequently too. He described how he had to have a Vita game on his desk and while playing a regular game, he had to pop off a trophy or two on his Vita to feel like he was making progress because he wasn't making any trophy progress on the current one.

I mean that feels like an addiction to me, and I can relate to it, a game that has 4 or 5 trophy pops all at once feels good, but then the final gold trophy before platinum might require 20 hours of grinding, and the feeling of doing that feels awful. I can relate to that feeling, so even though I won't ever play shit and cheap games, I do have this underwhelming feeling of slow progress sometimes, and I have no idea why I get those emotions. Sounds like you are getting bored not because the game is boring but because you haven't hit a trophy ping hit in a while.

That's not it. If it was I wouldn't be grinding out the last trophies on chaosbane atm or taken the 8yrs to plat diablo. I think its more the game set up for immortals. I like the exploration and combat but hate the puzzle elements and there seems to be alot of those that never end and they are required to move forward in the story.

@DrBloodmoney in this thread you came up with the idea of banning people using games from other regions so I guess some of the trenches here are your work. Speaking of elitism:

I made it clear that I am not talking on behalf of a group, and I do not look at other peoples stats to see what they play. People have different approaches in trophy hunts, I accept that. Never said my way is the way to go, its what fits me the most.

So dont put words in my mouth. If people can't have a civilized discussion then they should not refer to ad hominem and assumptions, or any page in the terrible arguing playbook A good reason why this thread needs moderation. It might not have needed to exist in first place but thats censorship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I'm gonna give you a little secret. 

Arcade games are very short. Out Run, for example, is like less than 6 minutes long. However, it's incredibly challenging -- so the stimulation comes from its design. Because of that, it's incredibly fun. You being nearly 20 years older than myself, you should have a general idea of what kind of arcade games to play. You're in luck -- there are many of those on PlayStation. 

I'm sorry, man, I'm just not going to buy this. You don't have to play stupid shit just because you have little time. That just isn't true. 

Arcade games were made with the intention of taking kids quarters. That was how the companies made their money from them. Gunsmoke, a game I finished on Capcom Arcade Cabinet, is roughly 30 - 40 minutes long, but because of how insanely hard it was, I spent over 10 hours beating it.

Accessibility wasn't a thing back then. Today, accessibility is one of the top priorities of competent game developers. However, offering participation awards to everybody that joins in isn't the way to go about it.

1 hour ago, syn1905 said:

I should also mention that I live in the middle of knowhere where there is no cable so I don't have tv. But I do stream shows and I'm quite behind on alot of stuff I want to watch as well. When I say I don't have alot of time let me out it into perspective. I work 6 days a week 12hrs a day. When I'm not working I have a family to attend to as well as sleep and other hobbies. My family knows that when I get into serious game mode that that is my plan ahead of time to focus on that game at that time. For example final fantasy 15 came out and I out in for vacation and sent the family to the inlaws and sat home for the week and finished that game in that time. 

There is no need to bring up personal information regarding your life. As much as I babble on about stuff on these forums, I keep my personal life private. Nobody needs to know about it.

1 hour ago, Thrillhelm said:

Then don't stat shame people for "chasing numbers" when you judge games by trophy rarity. Literally one of 2020s best games and called unworthy in eyes of trophy hunters with a rarity fixation.

The same vultures in every thread of those easy games, obsessed with other people's gaming style, or pushing their elitist agenda. The more threads get derailed by them the less I am interested in supporting a rarity leaderboard. But I guess the absence of proper moderation means we will have to read the same (non-)arguments and ad hominems over and over again.

This thread contains a lot of gatekeeping, telling people their way of trophy hunting isn't the true way to go.

A majority of people are in support of it, so I see no problem with it. If you guys were to just come out and admit that you are playing these easy games because I am chasing numbers and love getting trophies, these threads wouldn't balloon up to a group of people arguing to each other.

A lot of you are in complete denial, and the people who are overly defensive seem to be the ones who are stacking the most games.

The rarity leaderboard isn't going to change how you play. We're asking for it because the current leaderboards for many people is outright useless. The amount of shit coming in thru the store is unbelievable at this point. And because of that, we're going to continue ranting about these games.

• Like 4

This chat is really spicy. :popcorn:

Thus, thread be nuked in 3,2,1,...

It is possible that people that stack ezpz are indeed at a majority. But either:

A. They don't react because they don't care. 

B. They don't react because they have nothing to say (it is what it is I guess) 

C. They don't react because they are ashamed of themselves. 

But props for the people that are actually defending, stating their opinion and giving inside on the thought process behind playing these even below trash tier games. 

24 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

@DrBloodmoney in this thread you came up with the idea of banning people using games from other regions so I guess some of the trenches here are your work. Speaking of elitism:

No, I expressed that opinion. I didn't "come up with it" in this thread.

My point was that the leaderboards could be much easier cleaned up by Sony simply enforcing their own terms of service, than by trying to come up with an arbitrary "cut-off point" for rarity above which a game is considered null and void.

I made it clear that I am not talking on behalf of a group, and I do not look at other peoples stats to see what they play. People have different approaches in trophy hunts, I accept that. Never said my way is the way to go, its what fits me the most.

So dont put words in my mouth. If people can't have a civilized discussion then they should not refer to ad hominem and assumptions, or any page in the terrible arguing playbook A good reason why this thread needs moderation. It might not have needed to exist in first place but thats censorship.

What words did I put in your mouth, exactly?

I don't think I attributed any quote to you at all. :dunno:

I simply pointed out that your argument is one that codifies your own position, and diminishes other peoples, in exactly the same way as someone else's codifies theirs, and diminishes yours.

Just because "ad hominem" was on your phrase of the day toilet paper doesn't make it a particularly useful arrow in your conversational quiver here - all arguments about trophy hunting become ad hominem very quickly, given that there are multiple metrics by which people view the hobby. That doesn't make pointing it out the rhetorical bubble-burster that you seem to think it is. 

Of course the point of view from which a person is arguing their point is a valid lens through which to view their opinion, and to point out flaws in the argument.

Trophy Hunting is not one thing - it is many things under the same umbrella.

Knowing what point of view the person is arguing from is important - and pointing out that their point of view is based on 'self-preservation' or 'self-justification' is valid - simply saying that you recognise that is where the counter-argument comes from doesn't suddenly make that counter-argument less reasonable. Unless we're going to have some independent arbitrator come in, like a Trophy Hunting Ombudsman, setting 'rules and regulations' from a completely neutral point of view, then all arguments have to be viewed through the kaleidoscopic lens of a myriad of different base-points.

My point was, you arguing that these games have merit is exactly as justifiable as those arguing they don't - and literally no one is going to change their minds on the subject. 

Doing so would be drilling a hole in the hull of their own profile... just as you admitting these games are nothing but padding would be drilling a hole in your own. :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney

14 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Arcade games were made with the intention of taking kids quarters. That was how the companies made their money from them. Gunsmoke, a game I finished on Capcom Arcade Cabinet, is roughly 30 - 40 minutes long, but because of how insanely hard it was, I spent over 10 hours beating it.

Accessibility wasn't a thing back then. Today, accessibility is one of the top priorities of competent game developers. However, offering participation awards to everybody that joins in isn't the way to go about it.

There is no need to bring up personal information regarding your life. As much as I babble on about stuff on these forums, I keep my personal life private. Nobody needs to know about it.

A majority of people are in support of it, so I see no problem with it. If you guys were to just come out and admit that you are playing these easy games because I am chasing numbers and love getting trophies, these threads wouldn't balloon up to a group of people arguing to each other.

A lot of you are in complete denial, and the people who are overly defensive seem to be the ones who are stacking the most games.

The rarity leaderboard isn't going to change how you play. We're asking for it because the current leaderboards for many people is outright useless. The amount of shit coming in thru the store is unbelievable at this point. And because of that, we're going to continue ranting about these games.

Evidence for a "majority" or do you say that so it fits your narrative? Then followed by strawman argument saying "a lot of you". If you want to push your agenda then do so in a thread dedicated to it instead of hijacking threads about easy games over and over, since because of your idea of a leaderboard way too many other threads get filled with rants. I do like the idea of a rarity leaderboard (though not in its flawed state) but I cannot stand the approach of shoving it down people's throats.

2 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

Evidence for a "majority" or do you say that so it fits your narrative? Then followed by strawman argument saying "a lot of you". If you want to push your agenda then do so in a thread dedicated to it instead of hijacking threads about easy games over and over, since because of your idea of a leaderboard way too many other threads get filled with rants. I do like the idea of a rarity leaderboard (though not in its flawed state) but I cannot stand the approach of shoving it down people's throats.

I didn't come up with the idea, I borrowed it from others.

We never saw a new leaderboard is going to be shoved down your throats. You keep reiterating that we're making strawman arguments, when I find your side just as guilty.

3 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

I do like the idea of a rarity leaderboard (though not in its flawed state) but I cannot stand the approach of shoving it down people's throats.

Nobody is shoving it in your throat, it's a parallel leaderboard, if you don't like it then don't use it or follow it, the actual LB will still be there for you and everyone else.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

No, I expressed that opinion. I didn't "come up with it" in this thread.

My point was that the leaderboards could be much easier cleaned up by Sony simply enforcing their own terms of service, than by trying to come up with an arbitrary "cut-off point" for rarity above which a game is considered null and void.

What words did I put in your mouth, exactly?

I don't think I attributed any quote to you at all. :dunno:

I simply pointed out that your argument is one that codifies your own position, and diminishes other peoples, in exactly the same way as someone else's codifies theirs, and diminishes yours.

Just because "ad hominem" was on your phrase of the day toilet paper doesn't make it a particularly useful arrow in your conversational quiver here - all arguments about trophy hunting become ad hominem very quickly, given that there are multiple metrics by which people view the hobby. That doesn't make pointing it out the rhetorical bubble-burster that you seem to think it is. 

Of course the point of view from which a person is arguing their point is a valid lens through which to view their opinion, and to point out flaws in the argument.

Trophy Hunting is not one thing - it is many things under the same umbrella.

Knowing what point of view the person is arguing from is important - and pointing out that their point of view is based on 'self-preservation' or 'self-justification' is valid - simply saying that you recognise that is where the counter-argument comes from doesn't suddenly make that counter-argument less reasonable. Unless we're going to have some independent arbitrator come in, like a Trophy Hunting Ombudsman, setting 'rules and regulations' from a completely neutral point of view, then all arguments have to be viewed through the kaleidoscopic lens of a myriad of different base-points.

My point was, you arguing that these games have merit is exactly as justifiable as those arguing they don't - and literally no one is going to change their minds on the subject. 

Doing so would be drilling a hole in the hull of their own profile... just as you admitting these games are nothing but padding would be drilling a hole in your own. :dunno:

So your opinion is that ad hominem cant be prevented so its accepted, which I say is not. No conversation benefits from ad hominem, where I think politeness and certain etiquette does. In fact, only the ones using ad hominem benefit from it because coming up with good arguments instead is a serious business. 

Again, its down to resources management. The merit easy games have is they take little time to platinum, and they aren't expensive.

And please refrain from putting words in my mouth. I am not a huge fan of weasel-wording.

21 minutes ago, Thrillhelm said:

And please refrain from putting words in my mouth. I am not a huge fan of weasel-wording.

I have re-read both my posts, and genuinely cannot figure out what words you think I put in your mouth. 

Would you care to illuminate?

EDIT -

I guess not ?

I suppose "weasel-wording" is just Thrillhelmese for "making a point" - you learn something new every day! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Nobody is shoving it in your throat, it's a parallel leaderboard, if you don't like it then don't use it or follow it, the actual LB will still be there for you and everyone else.

Its not the general concept but the way its promoted, which includes your post since its taking my words out of context so you can draw an image of me being against development of the site, which I am not. Basically you proved my point. 

(Thought I’d chime in as a person who’s boughten most of these games and the reasoning) 

I love getting plats, like A LOT! Whether it’s an indie game, aaa or even shovelware game like these I still enjoy getting that ding. Very much so that before the year started I made a goal for myself to get close to or try to reach top 500 in my country (US). The moment these games started coming out, I viewed it as a blessing and a curse. Realistically, most of the people I’m trying to catch are buying these games (and their stacks) and in order to keep up I have to play the system. I’m fortune enough to be in a position to buy these and go “eh, it’s only a dollar” so I really don’t mind, but I can totally see the frustration though. In the time a person is going for the plat for a game like My Time in Portia, a person like me can spend $10 and get around 8-10 plats in a span of 45 minutes and I triple their LB spot (especially if there’s a sale). Every time I 100% one of these I usually laugh about it like I really did that. That being said, I could do without these games but it is it what it is really. 

tl;dr - “as the good book says ‘we trophy hunters are blessed AND cursed” - big smoke to CJ when he got back to San Andreas for the first time 

• Like 3