Another Rarity Leaderboard thread: Leaderboard that only includes games with under 75% platinum rates

Troz

So long as there is a leaderboard people will play trophy whoring games. Want to try and stop these games, then get rid of all leaderboards. Even if a rarity leaderboard came to fruition, the main leaderboard is still there and people still play garbage. Other websites will still have their leaderboards but PSNP has the most users because it is the best overall trophy tracking site. Not having any leaderboards may stop some people but probably not all. Personally I’d love to see what happens if the main leaderboard ceased to exist.

• Like 2

Which is why I've been saying over the past year or so that Sly Ripper needs to give up his position and have someone else look over his website. The last time I saw Sly Ripper do anything noteworthy was a few years ago.

@HusKy is having to work on his project mostly by himself. Even the staff have a difficult time contacting Sly for most anything.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

The leaderboards are really just a measure of how much time and money somebody has. It doesn't mean skill, it doesn't measure talent and it doesn't measure the amount of hard games somebody has done as opposed to easy games.

Just because they're there, doesn't mean people have to do them. For a long time I used to think these piss easy games were niche, with only a small minority of trophy hunters doing them. But as I've seen in the most popular games for any given week, a number of these overly easy games have as many as 800 - 1000 active players.

This is why it would be better to just remove leaderboards so no one has a number of where they are in the world/country, There is also so many people that have a country set that they don't even live in anyway which sort of make country ranks pointless anyway.

Trophy hunters are becoming more and more toxic over the years with these easy plats instead of moaning about the trophy list a lot of people have shifted the abuse to the people playing them, Like you said Just because they're there, doesn't mean people have to do them yet people still feel the need to give abuse to the gamer rather than the game.

55 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You think one is related to the other?

That is... a peculiar take.

Just because something happened around the same time as something else doesn't make it related to it.

By that rationale, we could blame Orc Slayer and My Name is Mayo on the Zica Virus, or the impeachment of Dilma Rousseff, or the failed coup in Turkey - those all happened around the same time too... 1f602.png

Look at how trophy lists were distributed in 2013 - 2015. There is a trophy in Blacklight: Retribution for earning all the other trophies, which meant that under the standards at that time, the game couldn't get a platinum trophy. A lot of indie games were just 100 percent games, no platinum for all the work going after those trophies.

It was also commonplace for games to have multiple difficulty related trophies. Look at Knack, Killzone Shadowfall, The Witcher 3. A number of AAA games that came out after 2016 were putting difficulty related trophies as DLC content as opposed to having them as part of the base games list.

All this to say, something definitely happened after Sony moved in 2016. The trophy lists gradually became easier. You can safely bet everything on Aab's Animals getting a platinum trophy now if it were released today. But when it released, that was a no go.

The way trophy hunting has evolved can be compared to MMOs. They are difficult in the early going because nobody knows what is going on. Then as time moves forward guides get released, people find exploits and use them to their advantage, new training methods come out that make the old training methods obsolete. That's why I quit Runescape, because I busted my ass in that game and because of the game becoming a lot easier over time, somebody new could get all the stats I could in literally a fraction of the time. God Wars Dungeon became a joke, and so on.

Knack and Killzone Shadowfall would not only be significantly easier if they were released today, they would probably allow such options as cheats to make them easier and have exploits that allow you to easily bypass most of the content. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart only has you doing one playthrough and collecting a handful of gold bolts. Whereas previous games in the series had you doing a Challenge Mode playthrough and collecting all the Gold Bolts for the platinum.

So yes, I blame Orc Slayer and My Name is Mayo. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End allowing players to use cheats to bypass the challenge on Crushing difficulty was a sign of things to come, when you stop and think about it for a few moments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJ_Radio said:

Look at how trophy lists were distributed in 2013 - 2015. There is a trophy in Blacklight: Retribution for earning all the other trophies, which meant that under the standards at that time, the game couldn't get a platinum trophy. A lot of indie games were just 100 percent games, no platinum for all the work going after those trophies.

It was also commonplace for games to have multiple difficulty related trophies. Look at Knack, Killzone Shadowfall, The Witcher 3. A number of AAA games that came out after 2016 were putting difficulty related trophies as DLC content as opposed to having them as part of the base games list.

All this to say, something definitely happened after Sony moved in 2016. The trophy lists gradually became easier. You can safely bet everything on Aab's Animals getting a platinum trophy now if it were released today. But when it released, that was a no go.

The way trophy hunting has evolved can be compared to MMOs. They are difficult in the early going because nobody knows what is going on. Then as time moves forward guides get released, people find exploits and use them to their advantage, new training methods come out that make the old training methods obsolete. That's why I quit Runescape, because I busted my ass in that game and because of the game becoming a lot easier over time, somebody new could get all the stats I could in literally a fraction of the time. God Wars Dungeon became a joke, and so on.

Knack and Killzone Shadowfall would not only be significantly easier if they were released today, they would probably allow such options as cheats to make them easier and have exploits that allow you to easily bypass most of the content. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart only has you doing one playthrough and collecting a handful of gold bolts. Whereas previous games in the series had you doing a Challenge Mode playthrough and collecting all the Gold Bolts for the platinum.

So yes, I blame Orc Slayer and My Name is Mayo. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End allowing players to use cheats to bypass the challenge on Crushing difficulty was a sign of things to come, when you stop and think about it for a few moments.

I think you missed my point.

I don't disagree with the timeframe you laid out, I disagree that Sony switching corporate headquarters to a different office is the reason.

All the stuff you mentioned also happened shortly after David Bowie died...

I don't think his death was responsible though....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think you missed my point.

I don't disagree with the timeframe you laid out, I disagree that Sony switching corporate headquarters to a different office is the reason.

All the stuff you mentioned also happened shortly after David Bowie died...

I don't think his death was responsible though....

Wrong. I didn't miss your point. I read everything you said loud and clear, even if you're desperately trying to sound like an intellectual, which you are not.

Maybe switching to a different office isn't the one and only reason. What I'm trying to say is the standards changed. Please enlighten me and explain why Blacklight: Retribution couldn't get a platinum trophy when it released in 2013. It was a PS4 launch title, so there were definitely more strict standards in place.

2 hours ago, HYPERS said:

I know so many people are sick of cheap and easy platinums, and there is always a war against people who do it and don't do it.

I think there should be a special leaderboard that ONLY includes games with a 75% (or some other number) platinum percentage rate or under. I would like to see where I would rank.

I know Sly is probably asleep, or on vacation, or in the middle of Afghanistan, and he will never see this. But hey, it's worth a suggestion.

Heck yeah! These games are a plague, ruining trophy hunting. I miss the days, when the plat was an impressive feat. Now, even the AAA games are way too easy. R&C Rift Apart, Spider-Man, God of War. Look at their rarities

1 minute ago, Tsundokuist said:

Not getting involved in arguments about requirements for placing on a fantasy/hypothetical video game trophy leaderboard is likely a pre-requisite for that one so we may all be s**t of of luck here if we were hoping to meet that “intellectual” criteria.

? True!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

9jKnvYD.jpg

and now I go and make a cup of tea

And it better be black tea, 'cause herbal tea ain't tea.  It's just wilted, dried flowers in a little bag.  Not tea.  This is not opinion, this is fact.  

(And this is absolutely not an attempt to derail the leaderboard nonsense...but I just realized the term 'leaderbored', which is exactly what I am of discussions like this - bored.  So, hey, my attempt at humorous sarcasm paid off!)

Every time I see one of these threads I'm going to respond with 'I'm leaderbored of this.'.  Can't wait.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Please enlighten me and explain why Blacklight: Retribution couldn't get a platinum trophy when it released in 2013. It was a PS4 launch title, so there were definitely more strict standards in place.

From what I've heard from an indie developer: It's related to the amount of bronze/silver/gold trophies. Blacklight Retribution only has 1 silver and 22 bronze trophies. The trophy lists of easy plat games often contain mostly gold or silver trophies. As far as I know Sony doesn't disclose which amount of trophy types or game's trophy points allow a game to get a platinum but there seems to be a fixed amount and developers/publishers of easy plat games just play it safe and make every trophy a gold trophy.