It's about time: A fix for the leaderboard that doesn't involve rarity

4 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

I dont know if miscommunication is the right word or if it'd be closer to abandonment.  Either way, he should probably have put someone else in charge (temporarily?) or put up a notice of absence or something.

Even his own mods and CRT have said he's MIA.  Even if he would return for just a day to give a definitive answer to a lot of these suggestions etc, it might put an end to seeing the same discussion over and over

He stopped caring, that much is obvious.

5 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

I dont know if miscommunication is the right word or if it'd be closer to abandonment.  Either way, he should probably have put someone else in charge (temporarily?) or put up a notice of absence or something.

Even his own mods and CRT have said he's MIA.  Even if he would return for just a day to give a definitive answer to a lot of these suggestions etc, it might put an end to seeing the same discussion over and over

Maybe he died? People do that sometimes.

Chronic illness? Legal trouble?

Might not necessarily be apathy.

Edited by GonzoWARgasm

12 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Sorry if that's negative, but the suggestion wasn't good. Another arbitrary manipulation to trophy values/leaderboards just isn't a helpful suggestion (the mess this adjustment made to DLC values is already evidence that the main leaderboard should just be left as is).

The problem is too many people want a leaderboard that is individually tailored to make their profile the best instead of just playing games the way they want. If they leave the site because it can't be changed to suit their entitlement, then perhaps that's best for everyone.

Exactly. Stats are only useful if they are accurate and consistently applied 

• Like 2

On 2021-08-19 at 10:08 PM, AJ_Radio said:

You're looking in the wrong places. I'm very passionate as you can tell. But I make myself look awfully good compared to DarkSydePhil. That dude is a real drama queen if you wanted to find one. Just saying.

I don't know why DSP is being brought up...but I can't resist posting this :P

Also I saw Ps3trophies.com being brought up before.

Sly left that site to create PSNP as there was drama at the top. Once he left that site went downhill (then the apocalypse happened where everything was lost and the users had to rebuild the site from cached threads we found). It is sad if the same thing is happening here, it really does seem like some power needs to be given to the mods and others who know website design.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Sly left that site to create PSNP as there was drama at the top. Once he left that site went downhill (then the apocalypse happened where everything was lost and the users had to rebuild the site from cached threads we found). It is sad if the same thing is happening here, it really does seem like some power needs to be given to the mods and others who know website design.

I really hope that isn't the case, because PSNP is still the best website out there. If there's too much work involved, you might as well give people the power to make changes to website design and structure.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I really hope that isn't the case, because PSNP is still the best website out there. If there's too much work involved, you might as well give people the power to make changes to website design and structure.

quite honestly i couldn't imagine too much work involved in a site that employees volunteer mods, for a site that never changes, and you never have to check in on.

16 minutes ago, steel6burgh said:

quite honestly i couldn't imagine too much work involved in a site that employees volunteer mods, for a site that never changes, and you never have to check in on.

The fact is there are lots of forums out there that use the same template, which is the Inivision template. Hiring two or three people to look after the website and make the necessary changes would be a significant boost. I'm sure one or two people on this website wouldn't mind doing that.

The only thing that i really care about the leaderboard could be the option to change countries, any other thing i really dont care. The people with more money, time, skills they always will be on the top in any modification that the site could make to the leaderboard. 

On 8/20/2021 at 6:31 AM, diskdocx said:

I'm wondering if you can point out the insults? I'm not seeing them (apart from yours). Is there a new rule that if you start a thread, no one can disagree with the observation or suggestion? Point out why it won't work? Sorry if that's negative, but the suggestion wasn't good. Another arbitrary manipulation to trophy values/leaderboards just isn't a helpful suggestion (the mess this adjustment made to DLC values is already evidence that the main leaderboard should just be left as is).

It would be great if some sub-leaderboards, other than rarity, could be created. Ultimately though, I don't think that 'fixes' the site. The problem is too many people want a leaderboard that is individually tailored to make their profile the best instead of just playing games the way they want. If they leave the site because it can't be changed to suit their entitlement, then perhaps that's best for everyone.

I don't have a leg in the stupid debates on this website regarding trophy rarity and whether or not a rarity leaderboard is a good thing. It's all pointless when nothing is changing.

I was one of those people who felt DLC trophies being close to 100% in rarity was stupid, because it only counted people who earned at least one trophy in the DLC pack. For those packs with only one trophy attached to them, they were always 100%. Nobody said the adjustment made sometime in 2017 was great, but it's currently the best we got.

What 'fixes' the site is a change of attitude and culture. But that's not going to happen. If PSNP manages to last a few more years at this rate, I will be impressed.

On 8/21/2021 at 0:48 AM, Sergen said:

This website is the leading trophy website with absolutely no competition. Suggesting anything is futile because it doesn't affect the money that the site generates while it does cost money in the form of unpaid labour by Sly. Until the competition to this website steps their game up and manages to become a visible threat to the success of this website nothing is going to change about this website. 

Of course. No competition means no real incentive to try. The last time Sly did anything was when PS5 rolled around.

PST is completely dead, and I won't bother to list the other ones.

• Like 2

I understand the point of dmland12 and agree that would be better if easy plats doesn't even exist ( yeah i know i have a lot of trash )

Unfortunately they exist and there's nothing we can do about it....

I just think that the site should have at least a rarity/difficulty leaderboard this way could fix the easy plats issue 

As on this leaderboard they would be useless 

The question is ....why this site doesn't have one?

I m dumb with this stuff but for someone who understands this....is that hard to make one?

And yeah easy plats are a problem (for me at least)

"Hooo but u have a lot of ratalaikas"

Yes,but i don't feel proud of my number of plats or all the trash,and i didn't stop playing real games to only play 5 min plats

Lets not begin a discussion of 

"You have ratalaika so u are wrong"

But the problem to fix isn't the site ,is what sony let trophy hunting bacame ....

I money business where the people who most spent money on trash games will have more plats ,were good triple A games are all becoming easy and Don't offer any challenge

The ps3 GOW for example aren't hard....but at least on some you have to make some effort and at least complete the game on hard the New one u can make everything on easy and go for collectables and don't demand any effort (personal opinion)

Tlou 1 vs 2 etc

The best solution would make a dificulty/rarity leaderboard and people could see thei county rank and world like the normal one

Don't make this post became a "fight" im already tired by the flagg ones....

On 8/21/2021 at 3:48 AM, Sergen said:

This website is the leading trophy website with absolutely no competition. Suggesting anything is futile because it doesn't affect the money that the site generates while it does cost money in the form of unpaid labour by Sly. Until the competition to this website steps their game up and manages to become a visible threat to the success of this website nothing is going to change about this website. 

this is literally what happened to PST 

1 hour ago, AmazingNoeder said:

I m dumb with this stuff but for someone who understands this....is that hard to make one?

I'm pretty good with this stuff, or so I'd like to think and yes, it's that hard...to get a basic idea google "comparing percentages" or "comparing percentages with different denominators"  in whichever language you like...trying to account for everyone's rarity %s and their volume when so drastically different while also trying to find a common denominator to be able to compare them in a simple manner that most would find meaningful and fair is quite the challenge...I've racked my brain on this for a while over the years...I'd be happy to experiment more if I had access to site stats to see how all the ideas stack up against each other and present them and a brief analysis to the community...this would also be dependant on the site owner indicating that such a leaderboard is something they'd consider worth trying to manifest...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

I'm pretty good with this stuff, or so I'd like to think and yes, it's that hard...to get a basic idea google "comparing percentages" or "comparing percentages with different denominators"  in whichever language you like...trying to account for everyone's rarity %s and their volume when so drastically different while also trying to find a common denominator to be able to compare them in a simple manner that most would find meaningful and fair is quite the challenge...I've racked my brain on this for a while over the years...I'd be happy to experiment more if I had access to site stats to see how all the ideas stack up against each other...this would also be dependant on the site owner indicating that such a leaderboard is something they'd consider worth trying to manifest...

There's a Brazilian site that has rarity/ difficulty rankings plus trophy Leaders,i know it can be hard but i m shure is possible and maybe not that hard (i guess) here's a beta that @EdinhoN showed me https://psnprofiles.com/leaderboard/rarity/br

, and this dude really know about this stuff

Edited by AmazingNoeder

41 minutes ago, AmazingNoeder said:

There's a Brazilian site that has rarity/ difficulty rankings plus trophy Leaders,i know it can be hard but i m shure is possible and maybe not that hard (i guess) here's a beta that @EdinhoN showed me https://psnprofiles.com/leaderboard/rarity/br

, and this dude really know about this stuff

I clicked the link without reading what it said...it's the one here and yes, it's one of the ones proposed a few years ago although I'd like to see more options...I don't really like that one and I'm pretty sure sly feels the same or it would've made it past beta a long time ago...or at least had its stats updated since...but I could be wrong...

did you say mypst has one as well?...would be curious to check it out although I know that some of the site is restricted to members...not sure if the boards are part of this group or not...would appreciate a link if you have time to post one...

edit: nvm, looked it up myself...hard to reverse engineer a formula when little data is given...my instinct says the rarities are displayed in curve format with random exagerrations here and there like the beta that was presented here...not the biggest fan of displaying it like this personally but I have to say, the whole site looks pretty good at a quick glance...well done, brazil...

Edited by ProfBambam55