It's about time: A fix for the leaderboard that doesn't involve rarity

1 minute ago, DeepEyes7 said:

The current LB will always be the main one, the rarity LB always has been conceived as a parallel or sub-LB

i get that

but have u seen the comments ppl make about the current leaderboard?

suddenly the leaderboard is “worthless” or “makes trophies obsolete” because of all the ezpz spam. 

the leaderboard has ALWAYS been about who has the most points. At what point did the length, quality, rarity, difficulty [insert whatever irrelevant whiny complaint here] matter? 

whatever issues u might have about what games other ppl play (and why should u? play your own games and mind your damn business), has nothing to do with the accuracy or integrity of how the current leaderboard is implemented 

• Like 1

The main leaderboard will be always pointless for me personally and not by the easy plats....but by the team accounts and lots of people buying plats,hoo hakoom is the number 1 or 2 or 3 

Well is hakoom or 10 guys playing on his account?

The sand goes for a lott of people who have team accounts not only him

There's one Brazilian guy Carlos is his name ....he buy most of his plats payed almost 2 minimum wages per month on brazil on the 2 Wolfenstein 2 plats....pay people to do for him lots of plats(yes he pay people to do ratalaikas for him).... All his plats and his Ultra rare mean nothing as he didn't earn any....

The point isn't being high on the leaderboard isn't being on the top 10 is just knowing on wich position you will be on the world leaderboard of what matters to YOU 

In my case what matters for me is rarity leaderboard ( that doesn't exist here)

I m in the number 880 i guess on rarity leaderboard on trophy leaders i like to know that regardless of my position,and regardless the fact that on my opinion the rarity calculator on trophy leaders is a total joke by the way they treat the dlcs....

Just now, HondaHoe said:

i get that

but have u seen the comments ppl make about the current leaderboard?

suddenly the leaderboard is “worthless” or “makes trophies obsolete” because of all the ezpz spam. 

the leaderboard has ALWAYS been about who has the most points. At what point did the length, quality, rarity, difficulty [insert whatever irrelevant whiny complaint here] matter? 

whatever issues u might have about what games other ppl play (and why should u? play your own games and mind your damn business), has nothing to do with the accuracy or integrity of how the current leaderboard is implemented 

I'm with you, when I support a rarity LB I don't want the main one to be replaced, I could not like how it has become but as you said it always has been about racking points and as long as the big dogs are up to it then it is their problem, I just want another place to belong now that the actual LB is not a place for me.

On 19/08/2021 at 4:32 AM, dmland12 said:

Wow, so much negativity!  Never would have guessed.  ?

You really think (nearly) everyone will get on the same page in order to manipulate times?  Maybe if the main leaderboard was outright replaced with something like this they would just out of self-preservation.  I guess I wasn't clear about this in my first post but, I really don't see that happening.  That would be too radical for it to actually work.  As long as the main leaderboard is still there too you know people will just pile it up as fast as they can.

The only way to change people is to offer alternative incentives.  Right now, you get rewarded for just piling up trophy xp as fast as you can with no other considerations.  That's why people are doing what they're doing.

I do think sooner or later there will be renewed interest in the site from sly.  So, there's still value in figuring out what sort of changes we would like to see.  I know I've felt like this too, but I try not to stay too pessimistic.

What a sad sentiment.  Leaderboards, if they're implemented well should give people various goals and incentives.  But currently we've just got one leaderboard and the way forward on it is clear and unappealing to many right now.  In other words, we could imagine a world where you can both focus on your own games and also get some satisfaction from the leaderboards.

It's just really sad that we're at the point where people think the best advise is to just stop paying attention to a main feature of the site, since it's just so unsatisfying for so many.

Maybe you shouldn't have created a thread that would spark negative attention against the people.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sumire Yoshizawa said:

Maybe you shouldn't have created a thread that would spark negative attention against the people.

Nah....if he want to share his opinion he shouldn't Only cuz people will disagree?

I agree with him that EZ plats and autopops destroyed the leaderboard,but making these plats being "deleted" on leaderboard isn't the solution and isn't practice,but making a rarity leaderboard would make this scenario better

• Like 1

I've personally never cared about the leaderboard but if people want to waste their money on shovelware for easy plats then I don't see a problem with it.

Also, a rare trophy leader board would mostly have new or obscure games. People will just look at the top players trophies, get those trophies themselves, and then everyone's rank goes down because the most rare trophies aren't the most rare anymore. Also, because of this, the most rare trophies will end up the ones that have you do something super tedious like the Dragon Ball FighterZ trophy for getting 20 million zeni or the Friday the 13th one where you have to play 1,000 matches as the counselors AND Jason.

Finally, I'm sure there are a few people who are still buying Black Ops 2 for some reason (or boosting on an alt account). Because that plat is unobtainable now due to a certain mode being removed, those trophies will continue to accrue rarity which might inflate the rarity leaderboards as well.

34 minutes ago, FrostyMcNugs said:

Also, because of this, the most rare trophies will end up the ones that have you do something super tedious like the Dragon Ball FighterZ trophy for getting 20 million zeni or the Friday the 13th one where you have to play 1,000 matches as the counselors AND Jason.

This has been discussed on other threads and maybe could be just a personal opinion, but rare is not just something that requires a lot of skill to get, something rare is by definition something that is not found in large numbers, so not everyone is up to do all the trials of a fighting game thats why it's trophies are rare, not everyone is up to farm 100 hours of money of a game thats why its trophy is rare, not everyone is up to set up a session to get the 8 ppl MP trophies of RDR or USF4 thats why those trophies are rare... So you can't just say that a rare trophy is a trophy that requires a lot of skill, it's just a trophy that not everyone is up to it, it could be for lack of skill, time, patience, planning, friends, etc....

34 minutes ago, FrostyMcNugs said:

People will just look at the top players trophies, get those trophies themselves, and then everyone's rank goes down because the most rare trophies aren't the most rare anymore.

Isn't it great? The rarity leaderboard will weed out the "easy" UR trophies by itself...

Edited by DeepEyes7
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

This has been discussed on other threads and maybe could be just a personal opinion, but rare is not just something that requires a lot of skill to get, something rare is by definition something that is not found in large numbers, so not everyone is up to do all the trials of a fighting game thats why it's trophies are rare, not everyone is up to farm 100 hours of money on FighterZ thats why its trophy is rare, not everyone is up to set up a session to get the 8 ppl MP trophies of RDR or USF4 thats why those trophies are rare... So you can't just say that a rare trophy is a trophy that requires a lot of skill, it's just a trophy that not everyone is up to it, it could be for lack of skill, time, patience, planning, friends, etc....

If something is rare most of the cases there's a explanation 

The game can be super trash,boring have a massive grind,the rarity doesn't directly mean "skill hard" but is the best way to know how "hard" a game is ,is just hard to know how accurate is when just a few people played....splasher has a common and looks easy plat compared to how insanely hard is,same goes for meat boy forever,damn man mk x and little big planet 3 are more rare than this 2,lots of games i can understand why its rare even that is not related to actual difficulty but i have no ideia why lbp 3 and mk x are so rare....

The mk x being unattainable at somes times doesn't explain this extremely low rarity for me

Edited by AmazingNoeder
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

I think that option has a new meaning lately, with breakthrough games we have seen that people is up to play trash just to get trophies and that doesn't make it rare... 

No,i mean trash like a lot of people started thinking that is going to be one thing and is totally different and is extremely bad and don't finish

Playing a 30 min trash game is one thing playing 70 hours is another

Silent hill on vita is completely trash if u are going to play thinking that is a silent hill, that's the main point why its rare and have some UR cuz the game is easy to plat,and is not that bad if u forget that have silent hill on his name.. 

Edited by AmazingNoeder

2 minutes ago, AmazingNoeder said:

No,i mean trash like a lot of people started thinking that is going to be one thing and is totally different and is extremely bad and don't finish

Playing a 30 min trash game is one thing playing 70 hours is another

Silent hill on vita is completely trash if u are going to play thinking that is a silent hill, that's the main point why its rare and have some UR cuz the game is easy to plat,and is not that bad if u forget that have silent hill on his name.. 

Then you are talking of subjective trash

16 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Then you are talking of subjective trash

Trash = means bad game

What's the meaning of trash on that subject fir you?

Yes normally people can enjoy some trash games and others not,but when the majority of people dislikes it and 80% of the players normally say is trash i believe the right name is the one i give

9 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

When you just make up statistics, your whole argument goes in the trash. 

Statistics about how many people think that the game is bad when talking about how a game is bad is now irrelevant ....

I guess u missed the math class.....

The 80% is an example as i can't have an actual real % of every single person in the world who played the game but every single person that i saw and on the hole internet,is people who disliked silent hill for vita

Edited by AmazingNoeder

13 hours ago, xZoneHunter said:

It is pretty sad when a moderator tells you to "tag and hope for the best". What's the point of even having a feedback forum section at this point? 

Like I said before communication is basically 0. The community has no idea what's going on with the website, no idea what features are being looked at, worked on or not in the pipeline. Nobody is expecting every suggestion to be implemented but a basic level of communication between the owner of the site and the community would be nice. Or even between the community moderators and the owner 1f602.png 

I get that @Sly Ripper might be super busy whether with other projects or with behind the scene stuff, but he at least can give the community some info about the plans he has with PSNProfiles.

The last time I've seen anything notable was when PS5 games got added. That was November last year, it's now late August. If we want meaningful change, we need proper communication to those who have the power to change things.

Right now, nothing is happening. So much of this conversation over the past 24 hours is utterly pointless, because nothing is being done.

15 minutes ago, AmazingNoeder said:

Statistics about how many people think that the game is bad when talking about how a game is bad is now irrelevant ....

The 80% is an example as i can't have an actual real % of every single person in the world who played the game but every single person that i saw and on the hole internet,is people who disliked silent hill for vita

If your argument that something is defined a certain way when a percentage of people concur, but you can’t accurately provide that percentage, then your argument is flawed. 

Either make a new argument that doesn’t rely on that statistic or find a way to obtain that statistic. That’s how logic works. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, AmazingNoeder said:

this "logic" won't end well lol

• Like 1

I like to post unique ideas in threads like these in hopes of inspiring others to do the same...here are my "thoughts of the day"...:

5 leaderboards, each representing the most basic metrics we have of measuring trophies but none of them involving any kind of skewing...xp, completion, rarity ratio, ownership rarity, and an overall one that averages your rank from the previous 4...one of the key aspects I think they should all have is really simple to understand figures...yesterday I looked at the mypst boards and today the truetrophies ones and both times i thought the same thing...what the heck are pdm and truetrophy ratio and what the heck kind of calculations are these?...kind of devalues the stats in my opinion if what they represent is not clear or when random multipliers are involved...here's a quick breakdown of all 5:

xp is the one we have now...the only thing I would add is a legend at the top that shows plat = w pts, gold = x pts, silver = y pts, and bronze = z pts...perhaps it's there already and I've overlooked ir?...

completion: this one would likely be largely similar to the xp one...we start at the most 100%s and work our way down in a completion rate vs game number ratio...I haven't thought much about this one so the idea is tentative...the basic concept was that on a completion leaderboard a person with one 100% game should be higher than another who has a thousand games at 99%...technically, the latter hasn't completed a single game...up for debate...I have toyed with the idea of just using the average completion stat here and then just ranking those by most completed games but I'm not sure if that would be better....it would mean a person with one %100 game on their profile would be higher than someone with a hundred %100 games and a hundred and one incomplete ones which I find odd...again, haven't thought much about this LB yet although I think it would be a great metric to display...and yes, I realize different games have different numbers of trophies...much like the xp leaderboards we have now, the completion hunters will likely figure that all out nicely to boost their stats so it's all fair game...

rarity ratio: I proposed this as a crazy idea the other day and also this morning to sly via pm...the more I think about it, the more it seems really fair and to be quite a logical approach...basically we rank every single trophy on the site by rarity % in 1-point increments...yes, all 3.7 odd billion of them...trophies with identical rarity %s are of equal value respective to wherever they fall in ranking...the rarest one gets a value of 3.7 odd billion (or whatever it actually is) and the most common gets a value of 1...we total these numbers up for every trophy of each members' profile...bam...an actual rarity statistic...I would be really curious which percentile is the halfway mark in value...I would guess somewhere between %20-30 but the data is so overwhelming to contemplate I honestly have no idea...i would really, really, really like to see what this would look so the number-loving part of my brain could get its fix...again, I think the rarity hunters would zoom in on which games/trophies are worth the most points much like our xp one now...i think it also might be useful to have a tiny little rank number displayed somewhere above or below the rarity % of each trophy so you know what you'll be going for ahead of time...I would also divide point totals by like a billion or something so that the numbers would be easier to read...

ownership ratio...this one is the same as the above one except that instead of using rarity % we use only the number of achievers...the trophy with the fewest total achievers gets 3.7 billion and the one with the most gets 1...I know it's a bit tiresome to see the same thing repeated but once again, I think the achiever hunters would figure out which games are best for exploiting this stat much like the xp one now...like rarity %, I'd display this stat somewhere near the achievers number to be easily identified and divide scores by a billion to make things easy to read...

overall...now all we have to do is total up our ranking from the previous 4 leaderboards and divide by 4 to get our overall rank...a well balance profile places higher than one that focuses on only one aspect of hunting although I'm guessing the top on the boards now would still be near the top...let's face it, a lot of these guys are bada$$es who have played a lot of games of all kinds and have certainly earned their place and fame...

a brief idea as I watch my daughter's soccer practice...am totally up for discussing this and to receiving constructive criticism...

p.s. sorry for the thread hijack...

edit: forgot to tag @Sly Ripperas proposed by the mods...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

I think that after all the criticism and all the complaints about the DLC rarities, Sly just doesn't want to deal with all this drama anymore...

He likes the actual LB because it's simple and doesn't have objection, points are points, nothing more.... But rarity leaderboard? He just think....

82-godzilla-nope.jpg

Edited by DeepEyes7
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

If your argument that something is defined a certain way when a percentage of people concur, but you can’t accurately provide that percentage, then your argument is flawed. 

Either make a new argument that doesn’t rely on that statistic or find a way to obtain that statistic. That’s how logic works. 

Majority of people and most of people i used 80% as an example 

If u want numbers about how bad a game is i would love to know where this numbers are 

But hey forget everything i said about silent hill on  vita as the Statistics of everyone in the world can't be reached no one can say if the game is a trash or not 

And as u like numbers and actual data and someone s opnion doesn't matter if they don't have a statistic number to show their .... lbp 3 is "harder" than splasher and meat boy forever by the "number" of people who achieve it making the % number of rarity ....

54 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

55 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

this "logic" won't end well lol

Is an opinion based on what i saw everywhere....

8 minutes ago, AmazingNoeder said:

And as u like numbers and actual data and someone s opnion doesn't matter if they don't have a statistic number to show their ....

If your argument is just “a game is trash when my opinion is it’s trash”, then that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. Its not worth saying because it gives no explanation as to what in your opinion makes it trash, but at least that falls squarely in the opinion category. 

If your argument is “a game is trash when a certain number of people say it’s trash”, that’s no longer an opinion. That’s a statistic that needs a citation. 

An opinion and a claim are not synonymous.