All Style, no Substance?

PotrikBerger

I wanted to like this game a lot. This will be significant number on my Plat trophy hunting journey, it was meant to be a celebration....but I just cant help feeling let down and underwhelmed by this game.

Is anyone else finding this game....well just plain dull? I mean its got some amazing story line cliches going on - time travel? yup! Multiple main characters being related? Yup! Diabolical plot involving the moon? Yup! Why then is there so little enjoyment and fun being gained from such lovely, silly plot lines? The art direction for some of the enemies are off-the-scale cool, but still, its turning out to be as interesting as watching grass grow? 

I'm about to start the 2nd playthrough with the 2nd character and all I want now is for this game to end as quickly as possible.

At times it can look amazing, but playing this I'm struggling to remember when I was as bored and disinterested in a game I was still playing. What you think?

• Like 1

Hey @PotrikBerger I can somewhat relate to what your saying. My first playthrough was with Kasane - who I thought was mega cool! I love the story and the plot twists but like you when I started my second playthrough, all I wanted is for it to be over with.

For all its bells and whistles I think the game is good enough to warrant the first playthrough, anything requiring multiple playthroughs in games like this are always a chore at least in my opinion anyway. I skipped thru all dialogue and bond episodes during Yuitos playthrough because I wanted to get it done.

In conclusion, I did love the game - especially, as previously said with Kasane. Over all though I think theres a big bulk of the game just "filler", conversations that dont really go anywhere or end up having any significance to the plot or story, I remember all too often sitting there waiting for the story to unfold but instead have Kyoka (hope I spelt her name correctly) bang on about something or other or Shiden becoming a millennial fairy and get offended about everything Kasane said.

Best of luck with your second playthrough though!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ninja-Sara-X said:

Hey @PotrikBerger I can somewhat relate to what your saying. My first playthrough was with Kasane - who I thought was mega cool! I love the story and the plot twists but like you when I started my second playthrough, all I wanted is for it to be over with.

For all its bells and whistles I think the game is good enough to warrant the first playthrough, anything requiring multiple playthroughs in games like this are always a chore at least in my opinion anyway. I skipped thru all dialogue and bond episodes during Yuitos playthrough because I wanted to get it done.

In conclusion, I did love the game - especially, as previously said with Kasane. Over all though I think theres a big bulk of the game just "filler", conversations that dont really go anywhere or end up having any significance to the plot or story, I remember all too often sitting there waiting for the story to unfold but instead have Kyoka (hope I spelt her name correctly) bang on about something or other or Shiden becoming a millennial fairy and get offended about everything Kasane said.

Best of luck with your second playthrough though!

Yeah there is so many exposition heavy cut scenes, but with a script that only manages to tell us we should be interested in these things yet never actually manages to make you care too much.

And multiple play throughs, i agree, are a pain. I wouldnt always bother as there are very few games which hold interest enough to replay. But this had a different protagonist, different scenes, different areas etc so thought it would be similar to infamous or alike. But its just dull. Its either of too much of the good looking yet yawn inducing cut scenes and handing over any old rubbish as gifts, or too much repetitive dungeon crawling - and they are good looking dungeons - but essentially just basic structured areas, over and over.

Not terrible game by any standards, but its just ended up being dull and forgettable and i wanted more lol

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I definitely agree with the OP. I bought this around January last year, and played it for several hours but just never really got into it. I ended up putting it to one side when I bought other games I was eager to play. 

I've jumped back into it again recently, but mostly because I have the physical copy and I want to get it off my backlog so I can sell the game. In theory, I should love this. I like action RPGs, I watch a decent amount of anime and it had some gameplay features that I've enjoyed in other games (friendship building stuff like in Persona 5 for example). 

But honestly, I just haven't really enjoyed it. The story, while potentially interesting, is so convoluted as to be a bit ridiculous. I think there's too many characters to feel particularly attached to anyone, and mostly they're just anime trope personalities anyway. There was also way too much exposition and explaining of the plot through dialogue. I dunno – I just didn't find it very fun. It felt like a lot of very same-y, monotonous battles, stitched together by massive chunks of dialogue. The side quests were some of the worst I've seen in any game as well. 

A lot of people really enjoyed it though, so what do I know? Ha. Be glad to get the platinum and move onto something else...

• Like 1