Remasters for ps5

dannyswfc9

Just now, DaivRules said:

The comparison is the same as saying you posting that on here is taking resources you could have used to build a house from scratch. 

I'm pretty sure I know absolutely nothing about houses and I assume people working on a port have some idea about coding, game mechanics, etc.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Except resources that developers could be spending towards making entirely new games.

Also it simply isn't true there's less remasters/ports this gen. I mentioned it in another similar thread, but there's something like 35 remasters/ports on PS5 currently or coming out soon (e.g. before the PS5 hits 1 year old). That's not including games that have released on both PS4 and PS5 simultaneously, only games that have later received ports or "director's cuts" or whatever on PS5. I think that's actually significantly more than we've seen in previous gens, especially in such a short time frame, but I could be wrong. And again, with the PS5 already being backwards compatible, the amount of ports really isn't needed other than for devs/publishers to make a quick buck.

This kinda topic is indeed always going to crop up every gen because people generally want to see new games for their new systems, not the same games over and over. People are free to criticise that (as are people also free to criticise that viewpoint).

I definitely would like to see more ports/remasters/remakes of games stuck on older systems as well though (PS2 and older).

Edited by SuperSmexy500
  • Like 3

Just now, mcnichoj said:

I'm pretty sure I know absolutely nothing about houses and I assume people working on a port have some idea about coding, game mechanics, etc.

Yes, and you also know absolutely nothing about the resources need to remaster a title versus making a new game, but decided to make a claim about that anyway. 

1 minute ago, DaivRules said:

Yes, and you also know absolutely nothing about the resources need to remaster a title versus making a new game, but decided to make a claim about that anyway.

Well it's nice that you know I know how to make houses but not about game development except we've seen exceptional games made by small dev teams of just a handful of people if not like one or two man teams on a non-AAA budget.

3 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Well it's nice that you know I know how to make houses but not about game development except we've seen exceptional games made by small dev teams of just a handful of people if not like one or two man teams on a non-AAA budget.

That’s a false equivalence that shows you really don’t know about game development

For me, I was a bit disappointed by how many of the games I thought would be PS5 only ended up being across both consoles. But taking into account the difficulty people have had trying to get hold of a PS5 console I can understand the decision for it.

There are some games that I would absolutely love to see a remake - Persona 3, Legend of Dragoon, Gitaroo Man for example. These are older games, and with a remake to bring them into the current gen, adding trophies etc I think would be great. Remake/remaster that I think is pointless - The Last of Us for PS5. I mean, it was already remastered from PS3 to PS4, and it doesn't need to be done again PS4 to PS5. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

That’s a false equivalence that shows you really don’t know about game development

Instead of making disingenuous apples and oranges arguments, it would be more comparable to say porters are making muffins when they can be making cakes.

Yeah you can just sit around copying your Nana's muffin recipes but it's not all that much more effort to go and come up with your own cake. You have the understanding of making a cake. You have most of what you need to make a cake or you can substitute certain things.

They open a new VIP cafe that requires a $400+ membership fee but they're still offering the same muffins from the old cafe next door. Some people want a new cake to make it feel worth it. So far Housemarque and Insomniac are the only two worthwhile bakers.

Personally, I don't have problems with Remasters for PS5. The way I see it, if Remasters sells well enough, it might encourage Sony or whatever Studio to take chances on remastering more PS2/3 games. God knows I'm still waiting on the Xenosaga Trilogy remaster.

Edited by dakk55
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Is this thread just destined to pop up at the start of every generation now? When the PS3 was out, people were complaining about all the remasters. When the PS4 came out, people complained about the remasters. And now here we are again, the PS5 is out, and people are complaining about the remasters.

There's honestly considerably fewer remasters this time around, since the PS5 is backwards compatible, and most games just get patched to update to the new console. Many of the full releases are even free to those that have the PS4 version. It's honestly the weirdest thing to me to see someone complain about remasters this gen, when in past gens there wasn't backwards compatibility and they didn't give out the upgraded versions.

Really though, if you don't want a remaster, then don't buy it. It's that easy. These remasters aren't taking anything away from you. I honestly wish we would see more remasters of older PS2 games especially. It would be great to be able to play games like Radiata Stories again on current hardware with better loading times and higher resolution.

2014 was arguably a way better year for the ps4 than 2021 for ps5 as it stands today. 

Some brilliant AAA games came out that year.

Can blame the pandemic but theres ways to still do the work

1 hour ago, mcnichoj said:

Except resources that developers could be spending towards making entirely new games.

This

Edited by dannyswfc9

12 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

2014 was arguably a way better year for the ps4 than 2021 for ps5 as it stands today. 

I actually dont mind remasters but people have paid 550 quid for quality new games as well. Ive seen plenty of posts in other threads saying there just playing ps4 games on the ps5. Good job its backwards compat.

Can blame the pandemic but theres ways to still do the work.

This editing a bit wrong. Why have i quoted my self lol

Edited by dannyswfc9

22 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Unlikely they'll go that far back. They only supported the 'PS2 on PS4' brand for like two years. Sure those weren't remasters but the only two they did were Shadow of the Colossus because they knew it would sell and then MediEvil which was an experiment which we can only assume failed because they didn't give us any other retro game remasters let alone the MediEvil sequel.

Current Sony generally doesn't care about its legacy titles. It's sad but true.

Also Nintendo owns the Xeno franchise. Better to ask for Wild Arms remaster on PS5, although you guys would have to get behind those of us asking for a new Legend of Dragoon game first. We've been asking for a lot longer.

Legend of Dragoon, now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Yeah, it's a shame that Sony gave up on the PS2 on PS4. I do hope that eventually the old retro games would get remastered, but you aren't wrong about Sony. What a shame.

Edited by dakk55
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Is anybody else sick of all these remasters.

The ps5s first birthday isnt too far away and i must say im very dissapointed with the lack of ps5 games and im currently playing my ps4 games on tge ps5

I cant remember there being so many remasters during the first year of the ps4. 

You can dress it up as much as you want and put directers cut or ultimate edition after the title of the game but there still the same game as most of ps4 players have played before.

Does sony and other companys care about their customers or are they just in it for the money.

On a upside 2022 is looking pretty tasty.

Ive got my tin hat on and ready for some stick but just how i feel

I'd say the pandemic and the stress it puts on the developers made publishers want to lessen the gamble and do things like remasters and remakes rather than full blown new IPs or for next iteration of the game. This and the fact that I'd say most people who want a PS5 dont actually have one, it makes it pretty understandable why companies are too fussed about developing new content from scratch for only the PS5 especially. I've been trying to get my hands on this god damn console since it got released and I still haven't managed to get one. I'm not actively subscribed to every outlet that sells it for when it gets back in stock, but most people aren't either. From a publisher or developer standpoint, pushing projects to 2022 seems sensible because most developers are back to normal unless another bad wave of the coronavirus hits, and that more people should be on the PS5.

What do you think?

• Like 1

As long as the life of the PS4 is active and i'm sure there is another 2-3yrs in it yet, PS5 only games, may not be as regular as we may want/expect and therefore whilst I do want some PS5 only games, remasters you would think whilst they can get mileage out of them, will be commonplace for a good while yet.

I don't actually mind some remasters, but would fully embrace remakes instead. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

Except remasters are almost always outsourced. Pay attention to the opening of basically any remaster. There's studios credited that aren't the original. Even when they're not outsourced, they have entirely different teams working on them. They aren't taking anything away from making new games.

1 hour ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Can blame the pandemic but theres ways to still do the work

The quality of games is completely subjective. I thought 2014 was a terrible year for the PS4. There was basically nothing exclusive except inFamous. All the biggest releases were still being released on other platforms. Which is the case for most consoles. It generally takes a couple of years before there's a decently sized library.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Is anybody else sick of all these remasters.

The ps5s first birthday isnt too far away and i must say im very dissapointed with the lack of ps5 games and im currently playing my ps4 games on tge ps5

I cant remember there being so many remasters during the first year of the ps4. 

You can dress it up as much as you want and put directers cut or ultimate edition after the title of the game but there still the same game as most of ps4 players have played before.

Does sony and other companys care about their customers or are they just in it for the money.

On a upside 2022 is looking pretty tasty.

Ive got my tin hat on and ready for some stick but just how i feel

No. I’m enjoying them and any remaster I don’t want to play, I simply don’t buy. 
Next year a lot of people who want a PS5 will have one, so releasing the new games then makes sense. Meanwhile I’m happy to play what trickles through but mainly focus on my backlog and games I enjoy, while playing on a crisp enhanced console*. 

*results may vary my ps5 hard crashed twice and I’ve had games crash multiple times. A few days after getting the console it felt like being on a PS4 pro but next year it’ll be set in stone. This is next generation. 

My only complaint with the amount of remasters is that the games I would expect a remaster and would want a remaster of, aren't getting a remaster! (Or remake). Like I would love the uncharted series to have a ps5 upgrade, and they're good enough games to warrant it. 

Otherwise I'm totally good with the amount coming out because if I've played them before I can ignore them. Lots of people haven't yet so it's their turn to enjoy. Or maybe I want to play them again with a new coat of paint. Enough people buy them that it's not going to slow down. Lots of other games are still coming out, despite all the stuff going on right now. I'd actually say that for this gen's first year, it didn't do bad at all, all things considered. 

Honestly it don't bother me. A lot of what has come to PS5 I thought was more considered Ports and not actual remasters like Spider Man. Stuff like Jedi: Fallen Order, Control, A Plague Tale, and some of the others are more ports. That is how I just look at it. And some of them I had the PS4 version and could upgrade to the PS5 version for no cost. 

Just my thoughts.

42 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

All the biggest releases were still being released on other platforms. Which is the case for most consoles. It generally takes a couple of years before there's a decently sized library.

Bringing the game out for last and current gen consoles at the same time is always going to happen tho for the first couple years to continue the life of the previous gen and not as many people will transfer to next gen for a while. 

Thats not my issue. 

Not really - granted, I didn't get the PS5 at launch, I got it a few months back, but the plethora of PS5 remasters given away free for games that I had bought the PS4 version of, meant this was the first console I bought were, from day 1, I was already awash with more games than I could play ?

In the end, remasters sell, and so they would happen anyways, and if I'm getting some remastered stuff for free, then I'll take it and say thank you.

If I really thought it was stifling new development, I might be singing from a different hymn sheet, but so far, I don't see any evidence of that - most of my time so far has been spent on new games (new to me on Playstation anyways -  It Takes Two / Hades / Returnal / Rift Apart / Maquette / The Pedestrian / Operation Tango) - and sure, some of those could be loosely considered "remaster-adjacent" in the sense that there was a PS4 version too, but really, they're just cross-gen, and from a practical point of view, they are PS5 games to me.

The only "remaster" I have played is Demon's Souls - and that one is something that was long overdue, and could certainly not be considered to have been 'half-assed' - it is now the definitive version of the game as far as I'm concerned, and blows the old one out the water.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

3 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

you guys would have to get behind those of us asking for a new Legend of Dragoon game first. We've been asking for a lot longer.

I've been clamoring for a remastered version of LoD for like 15 years.

• Like 1