Oh dear oh dear

FocusDR

7 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Let's have a change of pace. I say we have a commonality leaderboard, wherein the points are awarded in the inverse of what has been suggested and the accounts with the most common plats are at the top. I know what you're thinking, that's the same thing we have now, but hear me out... 

I propose a reverse leaderboard. Bronze, silver, gold keep the same value but the platinum has a negative value.

Because why not.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Exeshow678 said:

Ive platinumed my fair share of "crappy" games..

But this.... oh my

whats next, getting trophies for pressing the X, triangle, circle, square buttons??

My Name is Mayo has that beat, only need the “X” button

I know I know, but it is filled with “humor”

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AihaLoveleaf said:

The last thread was removed?

Good, that will put those mean elitists in their place. I may play this if I have time between taking care of my six kids, two wives and 90 hour weeks at work. Just for fun, though, don't judge. 

Haha I’m not hating on the game or anything so I see no reason why this would be removed. 
what’s that heart next to your comment did a moderator do something or is it pinned? 

I've never yet witnessed any member insulting another.

Or perhaps the bar for whatever is called an insult has been lowered, or maybe those posts were already deleted and I never saw them.

It's true I do believe playing easy games to trophies is stupid, however just writing that down as a comment/opinion or statement does not mean I am attacking anybody.

I genuinely want to steer people away from this sort of behaviour since people playing regular or hard games does not have the addictive gambling like qualities that playing shit and easy games can have.

Besides, improving the standards and the integrity of the games industry as a whole, why wouldn't that be something to get behind? Even if it is just a bunch of dudes moaning on an Internet forum somewhere and in reality changing absolutely nothing.

But yeah in future if you lock a topic, or delete someone's posts you probably should write what went wrong unless it was completely obvious, how is someone supposed to know they have done something wrong is they don't know about it?

• Like 3

I would respond with the "Michael Jackson eating popcorn" meme again, but mine was removed from last week's post, even though it was just in good fun.  

Here's all I'll say about these games.  I buy them, play them, plat them.  Nothing more or nothing less.  However, if all of them were like the first Breakthrough Game where there was just 4 trophies and no platinum, I'd probably still buy them, play them, add those trophies.  This is probably adding nothing significant to this discussion, but I guess my point is that the it would probably make these games less "controversial" if you could only acquire 4 trophies & no plats by playing them.

7 minutes ago, rednaxnxam said:

I would respond with the "Michael Jackson eating popcorn" meme again, but mine was removed from last week's post, even though it was just in good fun.  

Here's all I'll say about these games.  I buy them, play them, plat them.  Nothing more or nothing less.  However, if all of them were like the first Breakthrough Game where there was just 4 trophies and no platinum, I'd probably still buy them, play them, add those trophies.  This is probably adding nothing significant to this discussion, but I guess my point is that the it would probably make these games less "controversial" if you could only acquire 4 trophies & no plats by playing them.

i dont think anybody gave much of a shit when the first one came around, it was just a weird "retro" game to laugh at and forget about, whether or not itd stay like that keeping the same release schedule but all without plats, who knows, but that would also require people to buy and play games without plats, and who would dare to do such a thing anymore

• Like 2

3 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I've never yet witnessed any member insulting another.

So it never happens, right? Guess what, it happened to me, since these kind of threads turn into insult and harassment games pretty quick.

Do not blame the mods for removing posts without notification. Go make screenshots of posts as evidence before they get deleted if you think mods tend to delete posts unjustified.

• Like 1

The Oh dears better keep going on(not really though). Long live the legacy I started!

But to be clear my Oh Dear wasn't for Level 1's current release but the actual information of all the games that will be coming, so....

It will never end! Grab your helmets and drool guards, strap yourself in! Most will not enjoy the ride but guess what, you're coming if you like it or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Gecko-Byte
(Not Really Though)

34 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Actually, they've been decent discussions until someone takes offense at something that wasn't offensive (like a simple question), and then starts throwing around insults likes elitism and star-shamer etc.

These threads devolve when people start fights over falsely perceived insults.  And yes, you've done that more than once.

Generally agree to this statement, but do you still feel that way with the "games" that are blatantly using such a predatory business model?

Thats a nice attempt at blame-shifting. It's far easier for people to insult players by judging their play-style. Worse its been used to push the agenda for a rarity leaderboard. Using elitist behaviour to push a tool for elitism. And said elitism has been adressed as a problem in this thread. 

"Dude you have like 90% Ratalaika plats" 

A predatory business model with games at 99 cent (the Voices Games studio offered theirs at 0,25 Euro) is a bit of a stretch. I mean what does it matter to you how many games someone buys, and what they are paying for, other than using it against that person in an argument? Looking back the online pass, the DLCs locked on a disc (SF V), the 15 Euro cosmetic DLC in TES IV Oblivion or Microsofts attempt at preventing second-hand market, those were predators feeding on wallets. 99 cents for a game is not.

The problem in first place is that these threads should not exist or need a lot more moderating. People get insulted or offended, depending on what they play and what they don't. There will be another pointless thread next week when there's a new Breakthrough game released. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

The problem with these threads is there isn't anything new posted in them. It's the same comments and arguments every week, and will be repeated next week when the next game from these publishers gets released. The threads devolve into personal insults and attacks and it's getting just as tiring seeing them as it probably is tiring seeing these games appearing in the PSN store.

Last week I didn't necessarily make the thread to cause this to happen, but it's what happens on PSNprofiles a lot. Those who do cause it to break down into arguments, clearly are repeat offenders of the matter.

Last week I just wanted to bring awareness that Breakthrough will have TONS more where this is coming from ported, and that they were developed long ago. The people who are being elitists here do not realize there is other platforms that justify their means but continue to be keyboard warriors, week after week.

Not sure anyone got that my "Oh Dear" was quoting Winnie the Pooh.

Edited by Gecko-Byte
Quoting Scentence.

1 hour ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Actually, they've been decent discussions until someone takes offense at something that wasn't offensive (like a simple question), and then starts throwing around insults likes elitism and star-shamer etc.

Not to go too wildly off topic here (though, why not, these threads aren't going anywhere else?) but I think the biggest mistake folks on the "anti-breakthrough" side of this debate (which is the side I fall on BTW) ever made, was when they got called out as "elitist" - They accepted the premise of the insult as an insult.

Why?

Why is "elitist" accepted by both sides as being a pejorative? Why not simply disarm the "insult", by saying, "Yeah, I am... and?:dunno:

We are on a profile comparison site.

Sure, it may be gussied up with all sorts of additional stuff, but the primary focus of the site is and always has been, a leaderboard, and trophy comparison tools.

Now - I'm not dumb - I know when the term is flung around, it is as a pejorative - but it doesn't actually have to be accepted as such.

There isn't anything inherently negative about the word "elite". 

The term "elitism" really came to the forefront of popular discourse in the last 20-odd years primarily in political circles, as part of a movement towards rejecting pesky things like science, expert opinion, professional consideration and knowledge, in favour of a populist takeover of governmental positions by unqualified people. It's hardly a noble endeavour from which we should be accepting guidance.

By simply saying "Yeah... so? the term "Elitist" could simply be repositioned as one of a long list of trophy-hunting categories:

the Completionists, the Cherry Pickers, the Leaderboard Chasers, the Ultra-Rare hunters, the Elitists...

I mean - if you look at if from the point of view of "What impresses someone about another players profile?", I think it actually has it's place -

a 'completionist' is impressed by someone's completion rate

an 'Ultra-Rare hunter' is impressed by another player's UR count or Average rarity

a 'Leaderboard Chaser' is impressed by someone else's LB rank...

Personally, the thing that impresses me the most is the quality and diversity of the games on it, more than any of those other metrics...

...so I'd say the closest accurate definition, using the language as intended, would be something like "Qualitative Elitist"...

and... I'm.... kinda okay with that :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

By simply saying "Yeah... so? the term "Elitist" could simply be repositioned as one of a long list of trophy-hunting categories:

the Completionists, the Cherry Pickers, the Leaderboard Chasers, the Ultra-Rare hunters, the Elitists...

In every online gaming community I have ever been apart of, especially RuneScape, World of Warcraft and League of Legends. Elitism is those who disagree with other peoples styles based on level, achievements, experience, equipment or skill/rank in a style of "Get loss, due to my opinion, I am better than you" and whom try to force their opinion, and recommended style onto others.

At the end of it all, there should be no categories on peoples styles and choices of play, we are all just gamers and I am sure the people who don't play games look at it the same way that we shouldn't be playing games at all based on whatever opinion they may have against it. (I actually get this a lot in life, where I am told its just violence, or a waste of time and that I can be doing things that are much more productive, etc the list goes on, and majority of the time, I keep it to myself that I even do play games cause they either continuously tell me over and over their opinions on why it's dumb, or straight up label me as someone they do not want to communicate with.)

Edited by Gecko-Byte
Footnote

"Trophies"

That's the only problem here.

It's become a hypnotic wrist watch in front of everyone's face making everyone behave out of character.

Snap your fingers and all the trophies vanish.

Well if they actually did vanish over night. Only the people playing the shit games would be affected.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

"Trophies"

That's the only problem here.

It's become a hypnotic wrist watch in front of everyone's face making everyone behave out of character.

Snap your fingers and all the trophies vanish.

Well if they actually did vanish over night. Only the people playing the shit games would be affected.

There's truth here - though actually, I'll see your "trophies" and raise you "Percentage bars"

Imagine, if you will, a trophy system exactly as we have now, but without a completion percentage. If you get 5 trophies in a game, you have 5 trophies, if you get all of them, you get all of them, but there is no surfacing of "X%" of the total...

I wonder sometimes how that might change playing habits of people (including myself!)...

Sure, games like these ones would still sell to LB Chasers, but not to those looking to up their completion percentage etc...

but...

...would folks really care to go back to game they didn't love just to finish up a percentage bar?

...would they still care about "uncompleteable" games with glitches trophies or lost servers?

...would folks still avoid starting the next game in a series before "finishing" the trophy list for a previous one? (this is one that gets me too - so I'm not judging, just musing!)

5 hours ago, Thrillhelm said:

So it never happens, right? Guess what, it happened to me, since these kind of threads turn into insult and harassment games pretty quick.

It's not harassment if it remains within the confines of the thread.

If someone were to take opinions expressed in these threads, and start dragging the arguments outside of it - posting on your personal page, or DM or status updates and the-likes - that would be harassment - and I would be the first one in line to give them short-shrift for it, and to defend you, no questions asked in that instance. I certainly hope that hasn't happened to you, and if it has, I hope you reported it, as that is entirely unacceptable.

No one is forced to engage in any particular thread - but if they choose to, they need to be able to accept dissent, and be able to either counter it, deflect it, reposte it, or let it slide off them. (As a long-term holder of minority opinions, I can attest to that first hand ?)

However, if you do elect to engage in these threads, and all the conversation / disagreement / debate stays within the thread, then I think you'd struggle to define it accurately as harassment - it's just debate / disagreement / argument - and that is fair game. 

You can't walk into a burning building them cry "harassment" when you get singed.

• Like 3