Oh dear oh dear

FocusDR

You guys have the choice to comment on these threads, leave, or don't bother posting to begin with. I basically know there is a chance somebody will call me out and try to defend their position. I don't align with either side, I'm just pointing out the glaring problem these games might represent, which is trophy addiction.

We all like to say play the games you want. Great, I'm all for that. We can say that trophies shouldn't dictate what games you want to play either. But we have proven that trophies do dictate what games you want to play time and time again.

Some old games like Blood: Fresh Supply I have been looking at for a while on Steam. They have an achievement list. Even if there was no achievement list I would still be interested in the game anyway. That is how things should be. Trophies and achievements are basically the cherry on the top at best. The actual content of games should be what really matters.

I would of bought LA Noire, all the God of War games and all the Uncharted games even if they never had trophies. Because I had interest in those games long before I even got into trophies, and I enjoyed them for what they were. But we really have to come out and admit that yes, we have bought a few games purely for trophies.

It triggers me a little whenever somebody comes on here and states that they need to play easy stuff to "catch up". Catch up with what exactly? The leaderboards? Nobody cares if you're rank 200 worldwide. Nobody cares that you earned over 100 platinums in the past month. I just fail to see what exactly are they aiming for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Who knows. I was just pointing out that certain people like to play the victim a little too much.  They enter into an otherwise mostly civil (with obvious trolls being ignored) debate/conversation  etc, somehow find or make up a reason to be insulted, start insulting others, and thus devolve the thread.

And no @Thrillhelm, I'm not blame shifting - you've played the victim card in a few of these threads.  And yes, it is a predatory business model - it's aimed specifically at feeding your guys' addiction.  Say truthfully if you'd buy any of these if it wasn't for the cheap shiny platinum.

If you weren't ashamed of it on some level, you probably wouldn't be so quick to yell "stat shaming". It's nonsense.

Real question is, if these threads keep popping up, will Sly continue to ignore them, or eventually address the issue?

Ad hominem at its finest. It's not a "victim card" if someone calls your argument invalid judging from their high horse by what games you play, and post a link into a discussion to your account to show "whats wrong with trophy hunting". Yeah that's some discussion culture.

Again it is assumed people like me are addicted when in reality at some point people like me have learned to manage their resources (that's as far as I will explain). If you say predatory bc they feast on people then not at 99 cent per game. 

Ashamed? Ad hominem. You wanna shame people or let them feel ashamed for what they play. That's a terrible way to think. Or is it because its easier to personally attack someone or assume something because a normal discussion takes some effort? 

Edited by Thrillhelm
Double post
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

It triggers me a little whenever somebody comes on here and states that they need to play easy stuff to "catch up". Catch up with what exactly? The leaderboards? Nobody cares if you're rank 200 worldwide. Nobody cares that you earned over 100 platinums in the past month. I just fail to see what exactly are they aiming for.

Nobody needs to justify how they enjoy gaming or what they are aiming to anyone here. Some people are too obsessed with judging other peoples trophy lists.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zid2016 said:

Nobody needs to justify how they enjoy gaming or what they are aiming to anyone here. Some people are too obsessed with judging other peoples trophy lists.

So I'm not allowed to give advice? I'm not allowed to share an unpopular opinion? Why even have these forums at all? Just block your ears whenever these troll hate threads come up. Not that hard to do.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Generally agree to this statement, but do you still feel that way with the "games" that are blatantly using such a predatory business model?

Calling these games predatory is a stretch when they're only a dollar. With that logic you might as well call Lays predatory when I buy a bag of their chips for $1.59

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majob said:

Calling these games predatory is a stretch when they're only a dollar. With that logic you might as well call Lays predatory when I buy a bag of their chips for $1.59

That is EXACTLY the reason why they are predatory, nobody just buys one. That's actually the phycological first step.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

That is EXACTLY the reason why they are predatory, nobody just buys one. That's actually the phycological first step.

For something to be predatory it would also have to be in a pricing range that's exploitive, i.e , higher than it deserves to be to take advantage of demand and something for a dollar just doesn't fall in that category. As I said before, this is about as predatory as buying cheap junk food

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, majob said:

For something to be predatory it would also have to be in a pricing range that's exploitive, i.e , higher than it deserves to be to take advantage of demand and something for a dollar just doesn't fall in that category. As I said before, this is about as predatory as buying cheap junk food

I'm not 100% sure I agree that these games are "predatory" - personally I think they would fall more under "exploitative" rather than out and out "Predatory" - however, I do think you are wrong about the requirement for a high monetary value in order for a product's business model to be "predatory".

Scratch Cards, lottery tickets, slot machines, lots of 'collectible' kids toys, trading cards etc. - a lot of those work on pretty predatory business models, and many have individual sale prices of under a dollar or two.

Its the cumulative effect that costs people, not the single transaction. The compulsive nature and the addictive quality, coupled with the clear indication that the item is one of a set, or a series or a continual cycle that makes it predatory - in fact, the very fact that a single transaction is fairly cheap is part of what drives that - it feeds a "what harm can one more do" mentality, where the consumer is caught up in a web or cycle of purchasing to get their dopamine rush or fix or to complete a set or finish a line that allows the predator to toy with them and keep them on a hook indefinitely - or until they run dry.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Its the cumulative effect that costs people, not the single transaction. The compulsive nature and the addictive quality, coupled with the clear indication that the item is one of a set, or a series or a continual cycle that makes it predatory - in fact, the very fact that a single transaction is fairly cheap is part of what drives that - it feeds a "what harm can one more do" mentality, where the consumer is caught up in a web or cycle of purchasing to get their dopamine rush or fix or to complete a set or finish a line that allows the predator to toy with them and keep them on a hook indefinitely - or until they run dry.

This was my view that I tried to convey earlier, only this is articulated way better than I could do ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TKdovahkiin said:

Just appreciate what he provides for all of us here to enjoy a dang hobby, and quit making everything so stressful and complicated! :D ok?

Perhaps I should've been more clear. A large factor of these threads is the rarity leaderboard that people keep asking for and being ignored.  If that issue was addressed, there's a fair chance these threads would stop popping up (or at least kessen) because these games wouldn't be affecting other people.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

But even take these same games and give them 6 bronze trophies and no plat...would the same people still buy them? If the answer is No then the people buying them should really think about why they are buying them.

Also, i hope some of the people see that the reason a lot of us are against these games is not to "insult you" but to try and help. The same way you would want to help someone addicted to alcohol or gambling. Those things by themselves are not a problem...but over time they can create an unhealthy addiction and that is what we are addressing.

I had a friend that one year decided to put the money she spent on scratch cards into a jar instead. She was blown away by how much was in there and took the money and went on a trip.

This is the most reasonable post I’ve seen in this topic.

It’s true everyone buying these games are addicts.

They are only destroying them selves.

Some ppl I see like the above are trying to genuinely help.

Others our(just being honest) just low key profile flexing.

Still I recommend you 11 gold game guys get out while you still can, going down this rabbit hole will not end well…

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TKdovahkiin said:

None of it is addressable by the owner of this site which can be the only reason why it isn't. Too many divisive factors involved

The owner of the site has been incommunicado as per his own CRT and mods, which have both put in a chunk of work at creating an alternative just for it to go no where.  He hasnt addressed this, or anything else because he's not here, not because he's incapable.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TKdovahkiin said:

Sly removes cheaters. He can't change the trophy system at large. Too much is being asked of a mere mortal here. Maybe this is a job for Batman himself...

Sly doesn't remove cheaters, the CRT does it for him, Sly delegate it to them and that's perfect... Nobody is asking to Sly to directly make the changes, if he doesn't have the time then why don't delegate it to somebody else?

7 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I would of bought LA Noire, all the God of War games and all the Uncharted games even if they never had trophies. Because I had interest in those games long before I even got into trophies, and I enjoyed them for what they were. But we really have to come out and admit that yes, we have bought a few games purely for trophies.

Pretty much this all the way. I've bought my playstation 4 years ago because I wanted to play Horizon Zero dawn(psn exclusive at that time). Then I found out about god of war series and pretty much got addicted to all psn has to offer including the trophy system. 4 years later I've got 50/50 on good games and absolute junk of games because I got the money and it's my choise in the end. I wish I had skills like for example Floriis but those are not my kind of games, I just get frustrated way too quickly on these <1% UR plats.

When it comes to zj the ball.. There's a difference in junk and these breakthrough games. My name is mayo is just a free stupid platinum but atleast the devs added a bunch of humor in it. These new "games" are just something else?

• Like 1