tampines11

Things that you were previously mocked for

21 posts in this topic

I played video games before gaming was cool.

EDIT: Okay I (and many PSNProfile compatriots) played video games in a dark basement corner before THIS....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_esports_leagues_and_tournaments

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/08/arts/08schi.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of1k5AwiNxI

Edited by pogo_loco

8 minutes ago, pogo_loco said:

I am the same, and I will add to my own mocking I have been mocked due to my taste of games and how I view games like I don't look to all the big aaa games I normally waited on sales and rarely pay full price for a game unless I feel it will be good but now people find it is better to do what I do to be better as games are just glitch messes now and never seem to come out fully fixed and working and no problems or is a fully fun game from start to end.

10 minutes ago, pogo_loco said:

Oh, when was the moment that gaming was cool? I've must missed it.

5 minutes ago, Juzota said:

When Samuel L. Jackson and Megan Fox 'came out' as gamers

Collecting Pokemon cards. It really sucks though, because now everything is so expensive and its impossible for me to buy booster packs in shops anymore because of the damn scalpers.

I remember 2005 or so I would go to my gf's house and the 1st thing i would always flip to if we watched TV was G4 on cable.  Even if they were just showing clips from old school Nintendo games I was always excited to watch it and thought it was so cool.  Did the same at my parents house too.  Gf and parents both used to rag on me saying stuff like "how can you watch this?"  "video games are meant to be played and not watched"  "this is so dumb, this channel will be off the air soon." 

Fast forward to today with thousands of youtube gaming channels, twitch, etc.

On 8/22/2021 at 10:14 AM, Juzota said:

When the PS2 was new. Specifically when the first sports games rolled out. Sports Illustrated and other related magazines started doing pieces and reviews on the latest sports video games. Games had finally reached the graphical level of 'good enough' with accurate enough gameplay that there was no denying an enthusiast would enjoy them. I remember that one of the first articles admitted that it wasn't worth buying a PS2 specifically for them, but if you already had one why not. And there was a lot of people who bought it specifically to serve as decently high quality, low price point DVD player, so it was a safe bet the piece would be relevant.

On topic, posting on the internet. There was a time when it was seen to be even more pointless than it currently is. Only nerd students bothered.

I had crippling depression and profound disorders before it was something cool among young people 🙂

Being a Star Wars fan. I would actively go out of my way to hide that I was by not talking about liking the movies and playing the games or covering up the books I would borrow at the library in school. Now I hide it because I don't want to be associated with the weirdos that get Porg tattoos and walk around with Baby Yoda merch like it's their lifestyle. As well as the people that take it as a personal attack if you say you don't like the sequels or any of the new stuff. Along with that, it was usually stuff that was considered "too nerdy" like any sci-fi or fantasy series. I even remember The Matrix being looked down on for some reason.

I think I lucked out with video games though although it's probably because a lot of kids around my age were into stuff like Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and stuff like that and since I would play similar things I could at least talk about those.

Edited by Redgrave

On 8/23/2021 at 3:14 AM, Juzota said:

When every non gamer started gaming.

I was mocked for being a girl who plays video games, as being a Millenial back when I was growing up, games were "for guys", and it didn't help that I went to an all girls catholic school which was hell on earth with all the nasties in there. 

I also liked Anime, Yu-Gi-Oh and JRPGs, while everyone around me liked drinking, smoking and going to clubs. I didn't fit in at all and was mocked for being a "foreign weirdo", which was exacerbated by the fact that I'm ethnically asian but grew up in a small town where it was all caucasians, no foreigners at all and also liked things that were "foreign" and "nerdy" like anime and FF. So glad I'm not in that environment anymore. I now live in a big multicultural city and these days, liking these things are now normal. 

Not relevant to me but i love how comics were nerdy until the MCU became a multi billion dollar franchise.

Back in the day people could maybe name spiderman, superman and batman. Now you have people discussing Dr Strange, Falcon and Vision as if it is just common knowledge.

Mostly for my looks. At school, I was mostly mocked for being too short, I grew up late compared to other kids (I am 175 cm now, or 5'9''), for being too skinny (I have some heart problems which don't let me gain much weight), all that coupled with the fact that I wasn't the most attractive guy made me an easy target.

Wasn't mocked too much for my music tastes, but I remember one time a guy made fun of me for having an MP3 of Toxic by Britney Spears on my phone, even though its memory was mostly filled with "cool" stuff like Drum&Bass and new wave Punk-Rock. I still love Toxic though, that song fucking slaps 😄.

Somehow, no one used to make fun of videogame nerds back then. I think, in 2000-2010, we kinda all played games more or less, including girls. My sister used to play PS1 games, my female classmates used to play CS and other games. Basically everyone played them, no matter how "cool" they were.

When I reached University, I was surrounded by more adequate people, but I was still mocked sometimes. People would make fun of me for being an anime nerd, even though I didn't even watch anime much at all.

Edited by Slava

People in my country are very religious, and even though I was raised with jewish beliefs by my adoptive family I never felt connected to judaism (I was born a christian in romania before they took me in) Growing up I couldn't talk about it to anyone, I was surrounded by people that had very strong beliefs and the kids too would be influenced by them and bully anyone who wasn't jewish or didn't follow jewish traditions. Eventually I lost my faith completely and became an atheist which my mom still doesn't approve of. I got bullied for not believing in god and not following traditions (doing things like eating meat with cheese or eating things that weren't considered "kosher") they called me a "goy" and said I will get my punishment from god. As an adult I couldn't really care less about what people think of me but as a kid it's extremely lonely being the odd one out. Nowadays people are more open minded about non-jewish people because there a lot more immigrants, but you still get weird looks if you mention it. 

I was also a tomboy growing up, it wasn't very common for girls to be interested in stuff like video games or anime, in middle school I felt like I wasn't being myself and I pretended to like what other kids liked to fit in, I didn't talk about my hobbies or my interests because if I did happen to mention stuff like that I would be mocked or get weird looks.

Despite my many defects, somehow I've never been mocked (at least to my face) for anything I'm aware of. The closest I could get is the verbals and protests I encountered from my friends/work colleagues for defending No Man's Sky and Hello Games to the death when NMS released. I always believed! 

Edited by FarSideOfSaturn

People mocked me calling me X-Man in early '90 because I used to read comic books. And now even grandmothers knows who is Thanos, what a world.

For not listening the same music as others in my hs, and for not having driving license.

At school, I was mocked for being into dorky stuff like Star Wars, fantasy novels, RPGs, board games, comics, etc. Also for wearing band t-shirts all of the time instead of designer clothes.

Didn't care then, don't care now. 👍

My looks. I used to always hide behind my hair. I also had glasses in my teens, they mocked me for that too. 
Oh well, kids can be so cruel 

Edited by CeliiaFleur