Finished Origins now onto Odyssey.

HI everyone, 

I finished the 100% on Origins this weekend and wow what an amazing experience it was. Best AC game I have played since AC2 and it tops that in everyway for me personally. 

So my intention was to play another game before moving onto Odyssey as I didn't want to get bogged down and feel like it got too samey too quickly after just going through Origins. The sales were week recently so I had no choice but to just jump into Odyssey. 

So the intro was cool as f**k and then came the choice of characters. I chose the woman because I've not played a female character since Tomb Raider. Her voice actor does decent and she's built enough to make her fighting skills and arse kickery believable. So after a quick go I then thought nah.... gonna try the guy character. Now he looks awesome, built like a unit but the voice actor put me off so much in that intro. He makes the character sound dumb as hell and so I restarted yet again and chose the female character. 

Now I'm about 10 hours in, beat the wolf guy and now on that next chapter. But something doesn't feel right with Kassandra. I don't know if its because I'm aware what a huge game is it, and being uncomfortable with her is making me enjoy it less, but then I remember the voice actor for the male character. I suppose its purely aesthetic and I just feel in this setting a geezer with a sword/axe/mace/daggers suits the environment and setting better. I might be just being a daft twat, but as its only 10 hours in do you reckon I would be better off just being the guy character and trying to block out his voice lol. 

As far as going from Origins to Odyssey. I can't put my finger on it, but what worked awesome in Origins, seems weaker in Odyssey. I think because its far more open that Origins, I'm going off exploring and ended up triggering story moments that I wasn't hoping to do. Its that age old problem with open world RPG's. You want to go exploring, but you run the risk of wrecking the story and reloading .  

Edited by DaveMcDamage
  • Like 4

I haven’t got around to Odyssey yet, but it’s the next AC game in line for me. Funny enough, I’ve actually heard Alexios’ voice acting to be a fairly common complaint, but from what I’ve seen and heard of the game I can’t really find a fault in it. I will probably play as him when I get around to AC but we’ll see. I will probably do a little more research first to help make the decision.

Personally I wouldn’t be able to restart after getting 10 hours deep in to the game, but then again it’s a massive game so if you really aren’t enjoying your time with one character or another it might be worth restarting if it’s bugging you that much. I mean, you have to spend well over 100+ hours with that character if you’re going for the 100% so you’re going to want to feel comfortable and invested in your character and their story to ensure you enjoy the game. It is a role-playing game after all, so this is one of the most crucial aspects of a RPG.

I’ve also heard a lot of people say the same thing about the differences between Origins and Odyssey. I thought Origins was a really awesome game that managed to introduce some new life to the AC formula, provide an awesome setting, while introducing some light RPG elements that strengthened the gameplay and progress. But I’ve heard numerous opinions that with Odyssey, they basically take those RPG elements and progress system and stretch them way out to the point that it drastically changes the pacing of the story and can hinder the experience a little bit at times.

It seems like you are prone to restarting a lot, so let me make a recommendation. If you have PS+, I’d highly recommend turning on automatic cloud saves and put your console in rest mode every time you log off instead of turning it off completely. This way your latest saved games are always uploaded to the cloud automatically while you’re offline, and you will always have a save to fall back on if you screw something up or trigger something in game you’re not ready for. At the most you lose a few hours of progress rather than having to start over from the beginning.

It always surprises me to learn how many people seemingly don’t make use of the automatic cloud save feature, because I’m tellin ya, this has been a lifesaver for me on more than one occasion. Best PS+ feature by a mile!

36 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I haven’t got around to Odyssey yet, but it’s the next AC game in line for me. Funny enough, I’ve actually heard Alexios’ voice acting to be a fairly common complaint, but from what I’ve seen and heard of the game I can’t really find a fault in it. I will probably play as him when I get around to AC but we’ll see. I will probably do a little more research first to help make the decision.

Personally I wouldn’t be able to restart after getting 10 hours deep in to the game, but then again it’s a massive game so if you really aren’t enjoying your time with one character or another it might be worth restarting if it’s bugging you that much. I mean, you have to spend well over 100+ hours with that character if you’re going for the 100% so you’re going to want to feel comfortable and invested in your character and their story to ensure you enjoy the game. It is a role-playing game after all, so this is one of the most crucial aspects of a RPG.

I’ve also heard a lot of people say the same thing about the differences between Origins and Odyssey. I thought Origins was a really awesome game that managed to introduce some new life to the AC formula, provide an awesome setting, while introducing some light RPG elements that strengthened the gameplay and progress. But I’ve heard numerous opinions that with Odyssey, they basically take those RPG elements and progress system and stretch them way out to the point that it drastically changes the pacing of the story and can hinder the experience a little bit at times.

It seems like you are prone to restarting a lot, so let me make a recommendation. If you have PS+, I’d highly recommend turning on automatic cloud saves and put your console in rest mode every time you log off instead of turning it off completely. This way your latest saved games are always uploaded to the cloud automatically while you’re offline, and you will always have a save to fall back on if you screw something up or trigger something in game you’re not ready for. At the most you lose a few hours of progress rather than having to start over from the beginning.

It always surprises me to learn how many people seemingly don’t make use of the automatic cloud save feature, because I’m tellin ya, this has been a lifesaver for me on more than one occasion. Best PS+ feature by a mile!

So I too looked about and then found a comment which nailed it for me. Its not so much that the voice actor is bad, its that he's actually Greek and speaking English. Apparently, Greek, like Scandinavians who speak English can sometimes sound a little funky. Now if they got an English speaker to do an English speaking Greek accent, then maybe that could have worked, but its kinda awesome that they've been giving work to real people who share the same nationality as the characters. So I restarted and will plod on. 

The main problem I have spotted in this is that even if an enemy is a level above you then you can be in for a real slog of a fight. Because the games are never meant for multiple opponent fighting, but often but you in those situations, the slow levelling can be a pain in the arse at times, but now I will be working my way back up to level 14 which is where I was with Kassandra. Also the predator bow type control shot isn't as fun. Its still there, but it's as fun as in Origins. 

Not sure what you mean by I'm prone to restarting as I think this is the first ever post I have ever made on the subject. Could be wrong, but anyhoo. Yeah I already use the cloud save stuff. In this game it does allow for multiple saves though when you want to start a new game it wipes everything anyway I think. 

Like any sequel though, it does have its improvements and it is a lot of fun to play. In fact a restart can be just the thing needed as now I have the hang of most of the stuff and can get back to where I was in less time most likely and with better flow. 

If anything though mate. I wouldn't really bother comparing this to another AC game as it really does step away from the AC norm. Instead I'd compare it more to the likes of Skyrim or Dragons Dogma and even early on I'd say it stands toe-to-toe with them.  

I was pretty burnt out by the time I was done with Odyssey. I did everything in Origins by the 70 - 75 hour mark, including a lot of unnecessary side content. It took me 116 - 117 hours to get all the trophies in Odyssey, and I skipped a portion of the base game content.

There was far too much padding. The map was far too big, I would of been happier if it was more compact. After a while I gave up completing all the objectives for the locations, because they were so boring. In past entries I generally went out of my way to get the chests and do some side stuff, as I did with Brotherhood and Black Flag. In Odyssey I just gave up finally, killing the same enemies over and over was tedious because they were all sponges. A lot of locations look the same, and there wasn't much variety in how you did the objectives. You kill a captain, loot some treasure, burn some supplies, and your done. That was how the typical military camp went for me.

Odyssey may have better graphics, but I felt The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was the better game. It greatly helped that the skill trees for Geralt actually worked, you were able to change potions and mutagens, enabling you to tackle monsters several levels higher than you, even on Death March difficulty. In Odyssey I tried playing the game on Hard, and it was a big mistake. Setting the game to higher difficulties just makes the enemies take more hits for them to go down. There is no good strategy involved as around midway in Odyssey you will gain abilities that will make you overpowered. But you will just be spamming those abilities, moreso on higher difficulties. So you might as well play on Easy.

It was painfully obvious to me that Odyssey borrowed heavily from The Witcher 3, from all the question mark symbols to how the story was presented. It was trying too hard to be The Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, while not trying hard enough to be an Assassin.

I definitely enjoyed Origins more. Greatly preferred Bayek as a protagonist. Perhaps I would of enjoyed Kassandra more if I actually stuck with her, but I chose Alexios and I got absolutely sick of him towards the end. And yes, his voice isn't exactly great.

Absolutely hated the present day storyline. Heard Ubisoft botched it up even more for Valhalla (no spoilers please). Never liked Layla to be honest. Then again, the present day always had some annoying aspects.

Maybe you guys will enjoy it more than I did. There was a lot I enjoyed Odyssey, but Ubisoft definitely needs to come up with more engaging protagonists. Certainly wasn't as grand as people made it out to be when I finished it last month.

• Like 3

Well I've played as both and I find Kassandra to be the better character especially considering she's actually the cannon character and I personally felt the story and the world just felt more interesting as her as opposed to alexios where kass comes off as this fun loving caring badass who can be deathly serious when need be Alex just comes off as a blithering idiot the whole time so every play through I'll always pick kass cause she just feels the best pick for the world

• Like 2

Personally, I would never play two AC games close together. It's like asking to get burned out, especially if you're doing the dlc content. I already own Valhalla but been putting off playing it until I really feel like going back to an AC game and have distanced myself enough from the previous game's gameplay.

Just like @Taliesin_2943 said, Kassandra is said to be the canon character but, more importantly, she feels like the right choice the more you go into the story. And her voice actor does an incredible job. Thanks to her work and to the well done animations it's really cool how believably Kassandra reacts and emotes.

She has become my favorite AC protagonist because of how well written she is. She's simultaneously a bigger than life character but also a very credible and grounded one. The most interesting part is that I don't even relate that much to her character, she's vastly different from me. But she is the most stoic AC character yet and her Odyssey through the greek world and through her life truly feels epic.

But yeah, she's nothing like any version of Lara Croft.

Even though Kassandra has her own struggles and challenges, she's never as vulnerable as the rebooted Lara, but on the other hand she actually feels a lot more conflicted by the dilemmas that the story presents (stronger characterization).

She's also not tailored to be eye candy like the older versions of Miss Croft.

If you're not enjoying the game, give it some time, go play something else, return when you feel the need for a new AC adventure. And go with Kassandra, Alexios really is a f*cking tool.

@Spacey Dweeb Take it easy with the spoilers bro.

• Like 2

I need to get around to these games soon. I bought both Origins and Odyssey and all my friends told me to just do Skyrim cause Odyssey was too big for its own good... So I did Skyrim. Still have the urge to go for these two Platinums but I may skip Valhalla. Egyption and Greek mythology is definitely a favorite for me. Norse not so much.

Enjoy your adventure!

53 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

@Spacey Dweeb Take it easy with the spoilers bro.

I took it out, but what I hinted at with the voice actors is revealed very early in the game and not much of a spoiler. It would kind of be like letting it slip that Harry Potter is actually a wizard.

Edited by Spacey Dweeb

On 8/23/2021 at 1:19 AM, Spacey Dweeb said:

I took it out, but what I hinted at with the voice actors is revealed very early in the game and not much of a spoiler. It would kind of be like letting it slip that Harry Potter is actually a wizard.

7 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Yeah dude when Hagrid spoiled that for me at the beginning of the movie and I was sooo pissed.

Those books and Warner Bros movies have been out for so long at this point I would figure that anybody that wanted to get into the Harry Potter franchise already knew that he was a wizard.

I've been watching those old movies lately, particularly the Chris Columbus directed movies. Definitely don't make them like that anymore. All the kids did a stellar job. Alan Rickman as Professor Snape, brilliant character. I already miss him.

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Those books and Warner Bros movies have been out for so long at this point I would figure that anybody that wanted to get into the Harry Potter franchise already knew that he was a wizard.

I've been watching those old movies lately, particularly the Chris Columbus directed movies. Definitely don't make them like that anymore. All the kids did a stellar job. Alan Rickman as Professor Snape, brilliant character. I already miss him.

Rickman was the best. 

I went with Kassandra as she is supposedly canon and I kept hearing how bad Alexios was. Also, most games you play as a guy so another Aloy/ Lara Croft was appreciated. However, when it came to the Legacy of the First Blade DLC, I regretted being Kassandra because of how it all plays out but that was the only time.

I really enjoyed the first 30-40 hours or so of Odyssey but afterwards it just became same old, same old. There were very few quests that stood out to me and the combat wasn't that great. I did appreciate that they added a feature that makes it possible to basically put a skin on any weapon or armor so aesthically you could keep the look of your favorite but still equip better gear. I can go on and on about the negatives but I won't. Get what enjoyment you can from it, then find some podcasts or something for the other hundred hours it takes to finish it 100%.

I highly recommend some short games afterwards as a pallet cleanser. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Lol I was joking obviously… I was referencing the scene where Hagrid busts in at the start of the movie and, spoiler alert, tells Harry he’s a wizard.

I love that scene. And I love the first Harry Potter movie mainly because when you go back now you can laugh at how terrible the acting was. Daniel Radcliffe’s wide-eyed portrayal of the surprise and shock of finding out he’s a wizard is pure cinematic gold! Of course there were some legends like Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith who were great, but most of the child actors like Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Tom Felton etc. were all pretty bad and really over-acted their roles, and it makes for a good laugh to revisit those old films.

I don’t mean to knock on those kids too badly either, each one of them grew into their roles over time, and went on to become great actors who have taken many awesome roles outside the HP franchise. I’ve seen a lot of their films over the years.

6 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Lol I was joking obviously… I was referencing the scene where Hagrid busts in at the start of the movie and, spoiler alert, tells Harry he’s a wizard.

I love that scene. And I love the first Harry Potter movie mainly because when you go back now you can laugh at how terrible the acting was. Daniel Radcliffe’s wide-eyed portrayal of the surprise and shock of finding out he’s a wizard is pure cinematic gold! Of course there were some legends like Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith who were great, but most of the child actors like Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Tom Felton etc. were all pretty bad and really over-acted their roles, and it makes for a good laugh to revisit those old films.

I don’t mean to knock on those kids too badly either, each one of them grew into their roles over time, and went on to become great actors who have taken many awesome roles outside the HP franchise. I’ve seen a lot of their films over the years.

Cmon dude, you had to cut those kids some slack. They were literally 11 - 12 years old when they started, they were still kids who didn't have much acting experience, if at all. Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith were already in the business for decades. Interestingly enough, Alan Rickman got his start as the bad guy in Die Hard. What a way to start off a great acting career.

I never bothered looking on YouTube or anywhere, but I'm sure you can find behind the scenes footage of the cast and crew. Chris Columbus talked about working with the cast and his style of directing. Some of the kids were interviewed, including Rupert Grint, and you could clearly tell they were children having fun.

None of it would of be that good without a solid script and casting. The scenes where Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger meet up for the first time on the train to Hogwarts were priceless. Also too, the actors not only matured and grew up, the characters in the Harry Potter franchise as well. Ronald hated Hermione, so much so that Hermione hid herself in the bathroom in a particular Halloween night, which of course was all already laid out in the first Harry Potter book.

And obviously, none of this would of happened without JK Rowling. It baffles me that she is now an easy target for the Twitter mob and elsewhere, further proving that social media did little if any good for society.

Have got 100% on both and I personally enjoyed Odyssey a lot more than Origins- but it had been some time after playing origins that I played odyssey so it’s not like I compared them directly. I think my enjoyment was largely attributed to how much I loved Kassandra. To echo the sentiments of those above, she really is just a fantastic character. I always thought nothing beat Ezio and his trilogy for me but now Kassandra has firmly cemented her place as one of my top. I also would recommend not playing odyssey right after origins as they are both super huge- personally I didn’t get too burnt out by the length of odyssey and spent a good 125 hours doing everything but I didn’t play it right after origins 

• Like 2

Others saying that you should play other games in between Origins and Odyssey are spot on. Also completed Origins 100% and started Odyssey the next day... In the end I stopped playing it. After Origins, Odyssey bored me to death. It started with a thought while playing: "You already saw all of this before! In Origins!". So I stopped playing it in January and now I resume playing it with the PS5 60FPS patch.

Also I think that Open World games with giant maps frustrate me. Too many options. I want to explore everything, but it is so time consuming. Odyssey is much bigger then Origins, plus the DLC in Odyssey is a bigger package then it was in Origins. 

But must say I like Kassandra and the accent of her VA. Also Kassandra is the canon character. Even as a male, I like women as main protagonists. :D

• Like 1

Well as I mentioned I restarted when I originally made this post and now level 26 with my male character and just got to the point where you help Perikles or whatever he's called and now off in search of the woman you're looking for. There is enough weapon combat tactics to keep it fresh, and I do like the map even though its obviously even more limited than Origins era. 

But I gotta say. The medieval maps and stuff, not just in AC but every other open world game really need to fuck off. I get that putting in trees and broken buildings is far easier for a dev to make than a living city like GTAV, but GTAV was the last time we really got a modern day open world game of awesomeness and that was nearly 10 years ago now. 

But yeah. Liking the story, love the ship battles, combat is nice. Enjoying it. 

When should you start the legacy of the blades dlc? Missions are already on the map, so is it not like on Origins where the dlc is set years after the main story?

Currently going around killing members of that Kosmos guild or whatever they're called. Getting nice gear butI think next I am supposed to start the next set of quests looking for a particular woman so not sure about the blades dlc.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finished the main story and I think I have done the 2nd legacy dlc. I am at the part where your village is under fire. 

Anyway. By about chapter 7 I start noticing that no matter what armour or upgrades I use I'm getting wrecked in about 3-4 hits. Tried loads of stuff, then I noticed my weapons now do hardly any damage no matter the level or upgrades. Its like by the time you get to the legacy dlc they go and break all the combat like in the Dragon Age saga. It doesn't help that the part I am at it won't allow me tp wear armour but I am fighting a boss who replens its health after a few hits even though I barely do damage to them. 

I was really looking forward to the dlc to see some different armour and weapons, but it really does feel like its all broken and nerfed to shit. Damn shame as I was really enjoying all this. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finished the main story. Took me way too much time but just exploring is actually quite fun. Main Story was okayish but nothing spectecular. The story mission for me were just there. So if you just wanna grind some time into exploring the world and run from ? to ? you can have a ton of fun. Time flies sometimes. Setting wise i would prefer origins.