arcanehornet_

Why do you shoot with the bumpers (L1, R1) on PS3?

22 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why? I tried looking online for an answer, but I was unsuccesful. I always found it peculiar how all shooters default to this button layout.

That's just the way it was back then.  Everyone used it.. everyone was used to it. When the PS4 came out it took me a little while to get used to using L2R2

8 minutes ago, arcanehornet_ said:

Does anyone know why? I tried looking online for an answer, but I was unsuccesful. I always found it peculiar how all shooters default to this button layout.

well I think of it like this as it did work okish on the r2 or l2 now as it is not so easy to mess up as if you ever played something like medal of honor airborne the r2 button and so on was abit annoying due to the fact just a light press made it throw frags a lot just by lightly pressing it by mistake. it is like the ps4's touch screen that you might touch it by mistake while doing something in game

As someone who switched back and forth between a 360 and a PS3, I never really got used to it. It's one of my few complaints about the PS3. 

L1/R1 is what I use on PS4 even. I feel like my aim in shooters is alot better that way so I always make sure to rebind my controls. L1/R1 also makes claw grip more comfortable in my opinion, since you don't have to stretch your fingers as much. If anything I was suprised when the change to L2/R2 was made

I got so used to it that I can't use L2/R2 to aim/shoot, I always change that...

Posted (edited)

I had to get some clip-on plastic triggers from China for L2/R2 because of how awful and uncomfortable the triggers on the DS3 were. Your fingers would slide right off them too. I imagine that L1/R1 became the standard because no one liked using L2/R2 because of how poorly they were designed.

Edited by iriihutoR84

Man, I didn't even remember that this was the case. In my mind I can't even envision having done that

I have used the bumbers since my modern warfare days until now as it is faster to press a button than pull the R2

Looking at my ds3, yeah, I've actually always disliked this controller. I'm happy with my HORI for ps3 these days otherwise I think going back to ds3 from ds4 would have been a nightmare 

It's the way it was on the PS2, which didn't have triggers, and I think they just carried it over to the PS3.

Posted (edited)

I use them because the triggers for the DualSense 3 are terrible for accurate aiming and shooting, plus it's uncomfortable.

Edited by MaxieM0us3

1 hour ago, Miles said:

L1/R1 is what I use on PS4 even. I feel like my aim in shooters is a lot better that way so I always make sure to rebind my controls. L1/R1 also makes claw grip more comfortable in my opinion, since you don't have to stretch your fingers as much. If anything I was surprised when the change to L2/R2 was made.

This^

I hate using L2 and R2 for shooting on both the PS3 and PS4, because they feel so uncomfortable and awkward to use in most games.

I change to L1/R1 even on PS4 everytime is possible

It is the natural position of your fingers and more comfortable in my opinion. Most games changed fire button from R1 to R2 when ps4 arrived and its new controller. R2 (and L2) from ps4 controller became a "trigger" and same happened in xbox. Hated this change since now those buttons are easier to break. Another stupid idea just like the permanent light in the ps4 controller which you can't turn off

Guessing it was because the L2/R2 were really bad on the PS3 controller compared to the LT/RT on the Xbox 360. 

Because the triggers on the Sixaxis and Dualshock 3 were convex, and thus awful to press. I think this was realised by almost all game developers and thus L1 and R1 were the default shooter controls in just about every game.

Still better than using the face buttons, most of the time at least.

6 minutes ago, IDiivil said:

Because the triggers on the Sixaxis and Dualshock 3 were convex, and thus awful to press. I think this was realised by almost all game developers and thus L1 and R1 were the default shooter controls in just about every game.

While you nailed on the reason being because they're convex, they easy to press but hard to kept pressed if there is any force feedback while you "shoot". The Dualshock 3 L2/R2 design is great for racing games or stuff like GTA, where the buttons feels like accelerators/brakes, but horrible for shooters. So that's why L1/R1 were used by many games on Playstation 3 as the aim/fire buttons. On Xbox 360 it's the opposite, the LT/RT were amazing for shooting because of their actual gun 'trigger' concave design, but not so great when you want to slightly brake in racing game.

Another reason is L1/R1 were the Playstation 2 default shooting buttons for many Playstation 2 games, so maybe they just continued over that trend in playstation 3. When Sony saw that the 360 controller triggers were much more favoured for shooting, they went for that on Playstation 4.

3 hours ago, arcanehornet_ said:

Take away instinct of wanting to use the triggers and the bumpers are easier to use and easier for semi auto weapons. I prefer it unless I am using a sniper :) 

If you're shooting an actual gun, you use the index (first) finger to pull the trigger. And in normal usage your index fingers rest on L1/R1, so it's a natural choice.