Shrooba's Corner of 100 Completions

Shrooba

11 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I’m really tempted to rent Miles Morales via GameFly. Can finish it within a couple days and return it, all on a trial subscription.

I can definitely understand. As for me, I got the game on sale, but I've definitely seen people voicing their concerns that Miles Morales would be nearly, if not as expensive as Spider-Man despite it being a shorter game, especially the PS5 version since I think all PS5 games thus far are more expensive. That is to say, it's not Insomniac's fault the game is short since they did work on a new Ratchet & Clank at the same time after all, but given the increasing prices of such games, renting it is actually a smart idea all things considered.

It actually takes me back to the time when renting games in general was a huge thing, especially for Blockbuster. I never rented games as a kid personally, but I've always seen people talking about the nostalgia they have on sick days having their parents rent a SNES/N64 with a game like Donkey Kong Country and those memories being synonymous with being sick. ? But it goes to show that renting does have it's merits even in 2021.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shrooba said:

It actually takes me back to the time when renting games in general was a huge thing, especially for Blockbuster. I never rented games as a kid personally, but I've always seen people talking about the nostalgia they have on sick days having their parents rent a SNES/N64 with a game like Donkey Kong Country and those memories being synonymous with being sick. 1f605.png But it goes to show that renting does have it's merits even in 2021.

Spoken like a true 90s kid. How old are you? I was one of the last kids in my generation to really experience that era of Blockbuster. 

God I miss those days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shrooba said:

snip

Interesting. What I find both interesting and sad, is that there are many people in your generation and age group who absolutely abhor the modern trends and things like social media in general. So far, your peers haven't exactly made great music. Generation Z isn't really off to a good start, I hope you guys can push through. 

I'm a true 90s kid, so I can gravitate towards stuff like Beavis & Butthead (one of the greatest shows mankind has ever made), Ren & Stimpy, Johnny Bravo, Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron, Seinfeld, Family Matters, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, because I LIVED thru it. I can tell you the stuff Mary Kate & Ashley were in, what Nickelodeon game shows were on, etc etc etc.

It's a shame you weren't around back then, because I tend to tell you younger folks, you missed out. I mean that literally. The 90s was a fucking good time for kids, and the 80s were as well, although I cannot claim first hand experience on that decade.

That's okay though. There is stuff from the 60s and 70s I love, especially music like Jimi Hendrix and actors like Bruce Lee. YouTube enables us to revisit those long ago memories and relics of the past, which I've been getting hooked on more since the pandemic has put my family in a very rough spot.

When I look at today's music acts, I just cover my head in shame. Most young people are doing the same, and for good reason.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Spoken like a true 90s kid. How old are you? I was one of the last kids in my generation to really experience that era of Blockbuster. 

God I miss those days. 

90's kid checking in. At 32 years of age, I can say that the 90's were incredible. I'd go as far as to say, everything these days is all too accessible. Thus, every thing is taken for granted.

Blockbuster was how I experienced gaming's latest and greatest. That is, if I was lucky enough to get there before someone else did. It was almost part of my daily routine to head down to the local Blockbuster and see if the newer releases had been returned. This is how I found many lesser popular hidden gems, because you'd have to settle for what they had in before you'd get your hands on GTA Vice City for example. I was cool with that though. Finding kids in the playground at school who had the game, so you could hear first hand knowledge of the games (the Internet just wasn't quite there yet) was exciting. Anticipation always growing, until the day you finally got your own hands on a game, and you could be the one in the know who kids come flocking to for some good old first hand information. Good fucking times.

Infact, as amazing as it is to be in a position today, where I can buy any game I want, any form of media that I want - whenever I want to. I can't help but feel that a big part of the magic has been lost. 

My kids have Gamepass. My kids have a digital world and dad has a good job. It's my duty to make sure they don't take this shit for granted but at the same time, they'll never experience the magic of what it was to be a kid in the 90's. @Shrooba you're so lucky to be as young as you are and atleast have experienced a bit of what it was like!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Interesting. What I find both interesting and sad, is that there are many people in your generation and age group who absolutely abhor the modern trends and things like social media in general. So far, your peers haven't exactly made great music. Generation Z isn't really off to a good start, I hope you guys can push through. 

I'm a true 90s kid, so I can gravitate towards stuff like Beavis & Butthead (one of the greatest shows mankind has ever made), Ren & Stimpy, Johnny Bravo, Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron, Seinfeld, Family Matters, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, because I LIVED thru it. I can tell you the stuff Mary Kate & Ashley were in, what Nickelodeon game shows were on, etc etc etc.

It's a shame you weren't around back then, because I tend to tell you younger folks, you missed out. I mean that literally. The 90s was a fucking good time for kids, and the 80s were as well, although I cannot claim first hand experience on that decade.

That's okay though. There is stuff from the 60s and 70s I love, especially music like Jimi Hendrix and actors like Bruce Lee. YouTube enables us to revisit those long ago memories and relics of the past, which I've been getting hooked on more since the pandemic has put my family in a very rough spot.

When I look at today's music acts, I just cover my head in shame. Most young people are doing the same, and for good reason.

This is a big issue I have with social media today. The concept of social media is incredible, you can connect with family and friends all over the world, and things like Skype were awesome. But now it's filled with narcissistic people cashing in on the latest "challenges" and trends, and it's unfortunate that it's in large part due to the younger generations today. I see these people around the same age as me doing cringey nonsense online that I just can't understand how millions gravitate towards it. Granted, we all do stupid stuff, but I didn't intentionally do so and post it online for attempts at fame.

A lot of music today-- the mainstream stuff-- is incessantly corporate. There's horrible songs of each era for sure, but you compare the best of today's music to the best of even the 2000's, and you can tell the focus is the profit rather than art. Take rap for instance, you had artists back then like 2Pac and the Notorious B.I.G. who sung not for fame, but from the passion of their hearts, and their messages of growing up with what they had and the struggles they faced... and you just compare that to "artists" like Lil Pump's Gucci Gang. It's weird how despite younger generations pushing for more positive changes, it's this high-and-mighty music that's idealized. The irony of that is something I've found odd for quite some time now. To be fair, I assume that the young people pushing for change and the young people liking this terrible music are entirely separate groups, but then you've got people on Instagram using change as an excuse to put the focus on themselves rather than the topic they discuss at hand, so there is an overlap in some areas.
Of course though, there's always good and bad music in each generation, not everything today is terrible, but it seems a lot of the bad music gets more traction today than the bad music of yesteryear. For what it's worth, for each party I go to with my IRL friends, we always try to play Bohemian Rhapsody. The flame for the love of old music is still alive.

But on a more positive note, I remember watching shows like Johnny Bravo and Ren & Stimpy (I loved the slapstick of that show especially). There was also this other show, Rocko's Modern Life, which I adored a ton as a kid. Funnily enough, watching shows like that was another memory I have at my grandparent's house.

2 minutes ago, KindaSabbath said:

My kids have Gamepass. My kids have a digital world and dad has a good job. It's my duty to make sure they don't take this shit for granted but at the same time, they'll never experience the magic of what it was to be a kid in the 90's. @Shrooba you're so lucky to be as young as you are and atleast have experienced a bit of what it was like!

On the subject of Xbox, Microsoft released a compilation of old Rare games titled Rare Replay quite a while ago which is pretty cool. I'm pretty sure Half-Life 2 and it's respective episodes can actually be played on the Xbox One with backwards compatibility (definitely something Microsoft does better than Sony). And thanks, while I wasn't alive during that era and thus will never truly know what it was like, I'm happy to at least understand bits of the 90's culture due to living through it's aspects in the 2000's. Some of the best gaming memories I hold for sure!

• Like 3

Excellent write up buddy. I really appreciate the depth you dive into in your gameplay sections. I'm a gameplay whore through and through, so it's a joy to read! Keep up the good work!

There is literally no way Tiny Tiger would pass any form of drug testing to compete at Olympic level. That dude is not natty.

Edited by KindaSabbath
  • Like 1

On 11/09/2021 at 7:23 PM, KindaSabbath said:

Excellent write up buddy. I really appreciate the depth you dive into in your gameplay sections. I'm a gameplay whore through and through, so it's a joy to read! Keep up the good work!

There is literally no way Tiny Tiger would pass any form of drug testing to compete at Olympic level. That dude is not natty.

Tiny Tiger is definitely way too ripped-- I'm inclined to agree, his muscles are too good to be legit! ? When taking sequels into consideration, I always try to explain how the gameplay improves upon it's predecessor, and seeing how a series' form evolves over time is super interesting to me. After Crash stop being developed by Naughty Dog after they felt they did everything they could with Crash, the series saw a lot of changes like with Crash of the Titans, but the N. Sane Trilogy went back to the series' roots, and talking about Crash 3 will be a lot of fun as well! It introduced a lot of new gimmicks similar to Spyro 3, so it'll be a blast to discuss!

Speaking of gameplay, it's time for another one of Shrooba's MIND-BENDING, WORLD-SHATTERING AND GRAVITY-DEFYING updates! The greatest thing since sliced bread!!!

I've finished the story to Miles Morales! Thank you to everyone who put your input in the poll, I'm really glad I got to experience this game! It was bloody incredible and really moved me-- not a lot of games have made me feel this way. To top it off, the story isn't even as long as Spider-Man on the PS4, and yet it still made me feel moved. I want to talk about how this game made me feel, and the messages and inspiration it gave me, but considering the game is still fairly new, I'm not sure if delving deep into the story would be a good idea.

I just wanted to know if you guys would be fine with me explaining the story in my review, I really feel as though discussing things in-depth will help me show why I love the characters in this game so much. But at the same time, I don't want to ruin the experience for anyone who hasn't played the game yet.
I could put a spoiler warning in bold underlined text just to make sure, but I want to know if you all would be okay with that.
I can always try to tinker around and find a way to talk about it without going revealing things, but I wanted to hear what you guys think of how I should tackle it, since a lot of Miles' motivations are inspired by certain events.

I've still got to finish the rest of the trophies, and I'll be busy with Uni assignments next week so I might not have time to make a review for this game in quite a while (I don't think I'll have time to make my Crash 3 or Sonic Colours: Ultimate reviews next week either), so there's plenty of time for me to hear your thoughts on how I should approach the review, whether I should explain the story in-depth or try to go about it in a way that wouldn't reveal anything too big.

Anyway, take care everyone!

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 3

On 12/09/2021 at 0:20 PM, Shrooba said:

I just wanted to know if you guys would be fine with me explaining the story in my review, I really feel as though discussing things in-depth will help me show why I love the characters in this game so much. But at the same time, I don't want to ruin the experience for anyone who hasn't played the game yet.
I could put a spoiler warning in bold underlined text just to make sure, but I want to know if you all would be okay with that.
I can always try to tinker around and find a way to talk about it without going revealing things, but I wanted to hear what you guys think of how I should tackle it, since a lot of Miles' motivations are inspired by certain events.

I think you're fine to have a spoiler-filled review at this point - especially in your checklist. As long as you mention in the first paragraph that there are spoilers ahead (and probably avoid having any spoilers in that first paragraph, so they don't appear in the snippet shown in people's forum activity feeds,) then that would be fine as far as I'd imagine.

Really, Morales has been out for a fair while now - I'd say for the first couple of weeks of a release - a month at most - the responsibility to avoid spoilers is on the writer, but subsequent to that - once a month or so has passed, and everyone has had ample time to have played it if they wanted to - the burden of responsibility shifts to the reader. 

At that point, the onus is on them to manage what information they seek out or avoid.

Sounds like you had a great time - looking forward to your post!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

On 9/12/2021 at 1:20 PM, Shrooba said:

Hey, it's your review, and your checklist! If the story and characters had such a strong impact on you, then I think you definitely should write about that aspect of the game! Just put a spoiler warnin at the beginning of the review, at least that way people can choose to ignore that warning :P  

• Like 3

Been slacking on this thread. Tsk Tsk.

On 9/6/2021 at 2:15 AM, KindaSabbath said:

90's kid checking in. At 32 years of age, I can say that the 90's were incredible. I'd go as far as to say, everything these days is all too accessible. Thus, every thing is taken for granted.

Blockbuster was how I experienced gaming's latest and greatest. That is, if I was lucky enough to get there before someone else did. It was almost part of my daily routine to head down to the local Blockbuster and see if the newer releases had been returned. This is how I found many lesser popular hidden gems, because you'd have to settle for what they had in before you'd get your hands on GTA Vice City for example. I was cool with that though. Finding kids in the playground at school who had the game, so you could hear first hand knowledge of the games (the Internet just wasn't quite there yet) was exciting. Anticipation always growing, until the day you finally got your own hands on a game, and you could be the one in the know who kids come flocking to for some good old first hand information. Good fucking times.

Infact, as amazing as it is to be in a position today, where I can buy any game I want, any form of media that I want - whenever I want to. I can't help but feel that a big part of the magic has been lost. 

I have a butt load of stories regarding Blockbuster and video rental stores. Some of those stories are well in the 2000s, but I already saw the decline of Blockbuster around 2006 - 2008, during a part of my college years. Online retail was pushing them out, and Blockbuster just couldn't get up with the times. We had one lone Blockbuster in my local city that was running until 2014, when it finally folded and was replaced by Auto Zone, which is a car tool retail store.

I'm an uncle nowadays with a niece and nephew who live close to me, so like your own kids, I've had to do parental duties. I can guarantee your kids are taking the digital world for granted. It's sad, but it's utterly true. The kids in my family are doing the same.

They will never know what it was like coming home from school to tune to Johnny Bravo on Cartoon Network, back in the day when they had the Cartoon Cartoons block during the late afternoons. Or simply to see what contraption Steve Urkel did with his Urkel Machine on Family Matters. Waiting one week for a new episode of your favorite show to come out, something that kids today will never grasp.

On 9/6/2021 at 2:22 AM, Shrooba said:

This is a big issue I have with social media today. The concept of social media is incredible, you can connect with family and friends all over the world, and things like Skype were awesome. But now it's filled with narcissistic people cashing in on the latest "challenges" and trends, and it's unfortunate that it's in large part due to the younger generations today. I see these people around the same age as me doing cringey nonsense online that I just can't understand how millions gravitate towards it. Granted, we all do stupid stuff, but I didn't intentionally do so and post it online for attempts at fame.

A lot of music today-- the mainstream stuff-- is incessantly corporate. There's horrible songs of each era for sure, but you compare the best of today's music to the best of even the 2000's, and you can tell the focus is the profit rather than art. Take rap for instance, you had artists back then like 2Pac and the Notorious B.I.G. who sung not for fame, but from the passion of their hearts, and their messages of growing up with what they had and the struggles they faced... and you just compare that to "artists" like Lil Pump's Gucci Gang. It's weird how despite younger generations pushing for more positive changes, it's this high-and-mighty music that's idealized. The irony of that is something I've found odd for quite some time now. To be fair, I assume that the young people pushing for change and the young people liking this terrible music are entirely separate groups, but then you've got people on Instagram using change as an excuse to put the focus on themselves rather than the topic they discuss at hand, so there is an overlap in some areas.
Of course though, there's always good and bad music in each generation, not everything today is terrible, but it seems a lot of the bad music gets more traction today than the bad music of yesteryear. For what it's worth, for each party I go to with my IRL friends, we always try to play Bohemian Rhapsody. The flame for the love of old music is still alive.

But on a more positive note, I remember watching shows like Johnny Bravo and Ren & Stimpy (I loved the slapstick of that show especially). There was also this other show, Rocko's Modern Life, which I adored a ton as a kid. Funnily enough, watching shows like that was another memory I have at my grandparent's house.

I never participated in any internet challenge. We had the ice bucket challenge several years ago, but wouldn't of it had been just as effective if people didn't get dumped with cold water if they were trying to promote a cause? Real charity and non-profit organizations don't rely on stupid internet challenges to gain followers.

Funny that I made a status update a while back regarding stupid kids on TikTok. People on here were going "Let the kids have their fun". Yeah, because they can very much get seriously hurt doing those internet challenges. Eating tide pods that look like candy is completely stupid. Why? There is so much better you can do to get views and attention.

2Pac is one of my favorite music artists of all time. A fighter to the very end. He was tough, because he was the real deal. Grew up in a life of violence and despair. Tragic that both guys died so young. They were liked killed by rival gang members, but unfortunately we'll never know who actually did the murders.

Instagram is pretty intolerable now. People can argue the same for MySpace, but I definitely recall a lot more people who were real and honest. Definitely can't say that for Twitter or Instagram. TikTok of course is even worse.

Bohemian Rhapsody is definitely an old song, almost 50 years old in fact. But an all time classic.

Beavis & Butthead was my personal favorite. I was also into the western action cartoons. Darkwing Duck, Tale Spin, Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron. I'm very grateful I got to see those shows firsthand. Awesome shows for kids, and a lot of valuable life lessons to be had in them too.

• Like 2

I'm sorry this is so long overdue!!

Fantastic review of Crash 2....... Not that I'm personally biased or anything as that's my favourite one.  ? It's a very very pure Crash Bandicoot experience. As much as I love Warped I think it has a little too many gimmicky levels. So I'll always prefer Crash 2 as a result of that.

You absolutely did it justice too - and it's fantastic to see someone getting across so passionately why the game was such a joy for them. I loved how in depth you went - with, a what is on the surface at least, a very simplistic control scheme. Going for the time trial relics, really makes you appreciate how well implemented and designed everything is. You have to learn how to get a handle on all of the small intricacies.

I'd never thought about Polar like that before - but I guess it's true you don't tend to get all that angry with them do you. Despite those levels being some of the more frustrating ones. Especially the dark one, that can be so brutal.

On the Miles Morales thing - do whatever you think is best for your review. If it'll help you to write as freely and passionately as possible, then mention spoilers. From personal experience - It definitely does put a little bit of a millstone around your neck when it comes to what you can and can't say if you're not mentioning spoilers. It does usually mean there's something you really desperately want to say, but don't feel like you can as a result. Definitely a double edged sword to avoiding them. So like Arc and Doc said, if it's something you feel really enhanced the experience for you, then absolutely talk about them. .

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

@Shrooba oh dude, Okami is the cream of the crop. It has thrived at the top of my list of best games since the PS2. It is a beautiful game aesthetically, and because it's so stylized I believe it holds up perfectly well to today's standards (within reason, keeping in mind its age). The music is wonderful, there is humor, there is sincerity, the game is a blast. People complain about the "voices" used for the characters but honestly it never really bothered me much. This wasn't the first time I got the plat, but when I started this account I knew for sure that this was going to be the first game I did to really get the account off to a great start. A highly recommended game to experience.

There's one of the best tracks in the game to sample

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Shrooba said:

1. Hyper Light Drifter
L5c8b9f.png

I've seen @Arcesius feature this game on his profile's background for quite some time and I've looked into the game; the wave dashing reminds me a ton of Furi, another game that I absolutely love!
Apparently it's a tricky game, but if I could manage Furi then I'm fairly confident this shouldn't Kick my Ass2122.png
1f605.png I like to do a UR game every now and then, so I look forward to a good challenge!
When I eventually get to the game, you wouldn't mind if I ping you every now and then for tips, would you?

Hey there! And I see you brought nice additions to your backlog! ?

Hyper Light Drifter is an excellent game.. it was one of my first experiences with a totally obscure indie game, and will always be special to me! 

If you end up enjoying it, the team behind it, Heart Machine, is supposed to launch their second game ever this year: Solar Ash. I really am looking forward to seeing what this studio can put out after having enjoyed their very first game so damn much :) 

That being said, HLD is not necessarily a very challenging game, so don't go in expecting to be destroyed by it! And of course, tag me all you want! I will very gladly contribute to any discussion about this game ? I just hope you enjoy the game as much as I did when you get around to it! 

• Like 1

Excellent choices! 

FF X: Classic. This is probably the game I’ve spend most time on out of the hundreds of games I’ve played. I just love everything about this game. Especially maxing out the sphere grid. Removing all +1, +2 & +3 nodes and replace them with +4 nodes and fill the empty spaces. Getting all stats to 255. Collecting 100 of every item. Getting all overdrive modes for everyone. And once it was all done, start a new game and do it all over again. ?

Okami: This is my favorite game I’ve played on PS3. It starts of very slow. I think the first hour you’re only listening to jibberish as there is no actual language in this game. But this is also a masterpiece. That moment you give Kushi a ride to the Moon Cave with that awesome music in the background. ❤️

Hyper Light Drifter: Very good indie game indeed. I hope you won’t be searching forever for the final collectibles like I did. That kind of killed the fun I had with this game. I personally think it’s harder than Furi.

Enjoy!

Edited by Baker
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Just finished Miles Morales a couple days ago, and replaying the story was awesome. I'm also making good progress on F1 2021, I'm about halfway done with my two-player career that I'm doing with my IRL friend, and I've also got the wins necessary which could luckily be done in custom lobbies! Good thing your poles also count for single-player, otherwise this could have EASILY been another Gran Turismo Sport! 1f605.png@Destructor-8 I reckon you'll like this one, seeing as you've done quite a few of the other F1 titles!

Nice lol. Yeah might get that one day in the future, great progress so far & also I'm liking these last few reviews that you did. It's a great read especially as you put in so much extra detail usually.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shrooba said:

4, 5, 6. Bioshock: The Collection - Bioshock 1, Bioshock 2, Bioshock Infinite
L0f5722.png

I first played Bioshock Infinite nearly a decade ago... and it Kicked My Ass2122.png1f605.png Granted, this was one of my first FPS games, but after playing games like Titanfall 2 and Modern Warfare 2 on their hardest difficulties, alongside playing the Half-Life series since around 2015, I think I've got a solid understanding of the genre!

I wanted to get into this series partly because of @HoorayForTyler, you're a god at Bioshock man! Seeing people like you master these games just makes me so determined, I gotta go and play these!!! When I eventually start Bioshock 1 and 2, you wouldn't mind if I also ping you for some tips?

7. Psychonauts
L727275.png
Psychonauts is a neat platformer series, and I've never gotten into it before, so I thought it'd be cool to check this out at some point! I've forgotten to get the first game for a while, but after the recent release of Psychonauts 2 it reminded me to buy this and place it on the backlog! There's a ton of charm in this game, so it'll be awesome to get into it! 1f600.png

I want to thank you for the kind words my friend! I hope you have tons of fun when you do get to them and really immerse yourself in the gameplay/atmosphere. Headphones are recommended if you want more of that experience. There is nothing quite like playing the BioShock games for the first time, and if you haven’t played 1 and 2 before, I would love to hear your thoughts on them after you complete them. ?

You are always more than welcome to message me on PSN or Discord about the game whenever you want if you have any questions! HoorayForTyler#2580

And it’s funny how you mention Psychonauts right below as I just bought Psychonauts the other day! I’m super excited to see what this game is all about as I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. Perhaps I’ll report back here once I play it and give my thoughts on it as well. I’ll be going in blind as I know hardly anything about the game. ?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

Really nice additions to your collection and sure will compliment your trophy list nicely, once complete.

A couple I'll be tackling too. Very much looking forward to reading about your experiences with these ones! 

You have a checklist too right? I need to take a look at it

• Like 2