Shrooba's Corner of 100 Completions

Shrooba

I voted Okami as well - that's a game everyone should experience at least once. But as @DrBloodmoney said, I'm also very interested to hear what your opinions are on Psyconauhts when you play that. I went for the platinum in it last year, and I had a great time with it - but I'd also played it before, so to a degree I did know what to expect. I'll also be very interested to see what someone playing it fresh in 2021 has to say about it.

Can't go too wrong with @Baker's suggestions with Final Fantasy X either. I hope you have a great time with that game, it's my personal favourite in that series - although I'm sure I've mentioned that, oh I don't know about a bajillion times ?.... Not sure I can recommend FFX-2 though. Just do X all over again like Baker suggested ?. I don't despise X-2 in the same way that @Arcesius does, but it certainly isn't something I think I'd ever rush to play again. He kind of said it best in Sabbath's thread recently where he talked about people wanting closure, but instead getting a slap in the face, or at least words to that effect - and I guess it's not too far from the truth either. ?.....

Whatever you decide to play - I'm sure we'll all enjoy reading about it!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Take Thumper for instance! What are your thoughts on it? I've got a weird relationship with hard games; I always get a sense of nervousness going into them, yet I always feel motivated to play some of them at the same time?

I can relate in multiple ways here. Firstly, the checklists have put my spend on gaming up, massively ?.  Secondly, challenge gives me a huge boost of motivation when it comes to tackling a particular game.

As for Thumper: it's incredibly fun. Dude, you're a fucking space beetle! Hitting big Thumps is extremely satisfying, as is going for the S-Ranks. I read that it's harder without VR but I couldn't tell you if that's true, as I don't have access to a VR headset and played it without one, no problem. I wouldn't consider it a very hard game, though. If you had to S-Rank an entire level without the ability to replay each segment until you get an S-Rank - that would be brutal. I'm assuming it's only Ultra Rare because it was a freebie. Have fun with it though, I know I did!

• Like 1

Not sure if it's because of the site, I've tried on both my browser (Firefox) and my phone, but I'm sometimes having issues where spoiler brackets uh... won't open at all! ?

Hoping nobody else runs into this issue, otherwise 4/5ths of the review will be unreadable! If there's any issues, I'll place the story section out of the bracket, but I'll make sure to add even more spoiler warnings if that's the case.

15 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Not sure if it's because of the site, I've tried on both my browser (Firefox) and my phone, but I'm sometimes having issues where spoiler brackets uh... won't open at all! 1f605.png

Hoping nobody else runs into this issue, otherwise 4/5ths of the review will be unreadable! If there's any issues, I'll place the story section out of the bracket, but I'll make sure to add even more spoiler warnings if that's the case.

That's a constant issue on the site for me - and a lot of folks apparently.

Sometimes double clicking on the spoiler box arrow will refresh the page and make them work, but it can be very temperamental - on chrome and Safari too

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That's a constant issue on the site for me - and a lot of folks apparently.

Sometimes double clicking on the spoiler box arrow will refresh the page and make them work, but it can be very temperamental - on chrome and Safari too

Duly noted, doc! I'll have the review updated. It's kinda relieving to know it wasn't just me! ? Hope this wasn't a problem for anybody else reading the review!

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 9:57 AM, Shrooba said:

Completion #65
Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 22nd September 2021
Completion time: 1 week, 4 days

L0d6cb4.png

Hey everyone! It’s been quite a while since the last review, so it’s about time I get to making this one! I could’ve initially done Sonic Colours: Ultimate first, but given the time since I’ve posted a review, let’s just say I think it’s better if I talk upon a more positive game.

My glorious and beautiful people, this review contains SPOILERY SPOILERS that SPOIL SPOILERINGLY of both Miles Morales and Spider-Man 1 (the games, of course!). It’ll discuss the main characters in the game, their motivations, and story progression, so juuust to be safe, hopefully this warning has caught your eye! You’ve been warned, you handsome devils!

This is my longest review yet, sitting at over 5000+ words, with 4000 words being for the story alone, and it was initially kept in a spoiler bracket, but there's weird issues where they sometimes don't open, and 4/5ths of the review being unreadable is quite problematic! 1f605.png So as a final warning, this review will contain spoilers, primarily in the story section, so be careful reading onward if you're eager to play the game!

History of the game’s development/music:

Miles Morales was developed by none other than Insomniac Games, now part of Sony’s first-party collaboration, PlayStation Studios. Makers of Ratchet & Clank, Insomniac were well-versed with platforming and brilliant environments, and what better way was there for Insomniac to create even more well-versed platforming and brilliant environments than with the Spider-Man series?

Up until the point of Spider-Man 1 (in the context of the PS4 game, not the movie), Insomniac were only accustomed to making original properties, and they had just finished Sunset Overdrive, ironically an Xbox exclusive, by the time they were offered the opportunity to create a Marvel game for Sony. I know I’m here explaining the premise of Spider-Man 1’s development, but I find it imperative to discuss in relation to the development of Miles Morales, I apologize!

Essentially, Insomniac were granted the ability to create an original story based on any Marvel character, but Insomniac went ahead with Spider-Man, and thus began a development cycle that would conclude in 2018, with one of the hallmark games of the PS4 generation; Marvel’s Spider-Man. With the instant success of the game, it was apparent that they couldn’t let this opportunity go to waste, and thus they began development on Miles Morales.

Shortly after Spider-Man 1 released in 2018, Miles as a character had received a lot of recognition through the portrayal as a character in the Sony film; Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, and it definitely had great timing, as it allowed the general population to become more aware of him before getting his own game! But who IS Miles? He made an appearance in Spider-Man 1, but who actually is he? As it turns out, Miles was created a decade ago in 2011 as another version of Spider-Man, with the approval of Stan Lee. Insomniac saw to include him in Spider-Man 1 to fit the originality they were aiming for, and alongside his movie appearance, a sequel with his as the protagonist was becoming more and more apparent.

Not gonna lie, when I saw the announcement of Miles Morales, I couldn’t believe the announcement of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart either. I never would’ve thought that Insomniac would be working on two big games at the same time! 1f605.png As it turns out, this is because Miles Morales is of sorts a prologue to Spider-Man 2, which I’ll get more into later.

As for the music, it features some of the orchestral tone of Spider-Man 1 seeing as composer John Paesano made a reappearance in this game's development, filling in the mantle of the composer of Miles Morales.To fit this new hero's lifestyle, the music sees a blend of hip-hop beats (partly in relation to story significance which I'll discuss later). Take the theme of Miles Morales himself, "This is my Time", which best represents the theme of the overall game:

As for the more orchestral side of things, you've got the fast-paced rhythm of chase scenes, to the care-free string ensemble reflecting the excitement of being a new Spider-Man in Harlem. Each track serves a cinematic purpose within the cutscenes of the game, and diegetically. Music always plays a large part in shaping the theming and tone of a game, and this OST does its job well, resembling not only the dangers Miles faces on his first solo journey, but also the emphasis on adventure as well. Here's the entire OST if you wanna look at some of the songs, it's pretty good stuff:

Story (SPOILERS):

Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a game that takes place as an act between Spider-Man 1 and the upcoming Spider-Man 2, and sees Harlem’s sciencey kid, Miles, adjust to his new shift from Brooklyn. Or… as we Australian folk call him, Kilometres Morales. Get it? Because we use kilometres instead of… yeah yeah, I’ll shut up now. 1f605.png

Stories typically comprise of a three-act structure, and Miles’ arc definitely feels like one act of an overall story, comparable to that of one of the DLC packs in Spider-Man 1. However, despite it’s short length, it offers a great story that sits on a comfy chair right next to it’s predecessor. But enough of a brief synopsis, let’s get into the meaty stuff… The story, that is. Not cooking up any Gordon Ramsay specials today, unfortunately.

After the events of the first game, Miles had been bitten by a mysterious spider that granted him bizarre abilities… There was only one person Miles could talk to, and that just so happened to be Peter Parker, New York’s Spider-Man… the only Spider-Man at that point. After being accustomed to his powers over a long trek of training and honing his abilities with Peter, it was time for him to take a stand and protect the people he cared about in Harlem. Miles had been living in Brooklyn for his life, but after the death of his father (Jeff Davis) at the City Hall due to Martin Li’s meddling as the enigmatic Mister Negative in the first game, Miles was left unsure if he could fill his father’s mantle as a saviour and protector, even despite his newly gained powers. Add this to the general woes of a teenager, and Miles was in quite the self-doubting conundrum.

With Miles being in the same new shoes as Peter Parker, the once only Spider-Man, it’s taken a toll on his confidence as a once bustling street kid (which he still is, but when you’re given godlike super-strength and durable arms that can sling you across buildings faster than speeding criminals, life will justifiably have a new twist).

However, things were starting to look up as Miles would begin the real deal; no more training, time to finally help the people as a Spider-Man! Miles was on duty with Peter as a Spider-Man duo, onlooking a police convoy containing prisoners of the Raft, a highly secured prison base with reservations for only the most esteemed guests; the worst and most brutal criminals to ever walk the streets of New York. One of these individuals happened to be none other than Rhino, one of the villains from the first game, and a man who hates wild goose chases, or “THE CHASE OF GOOSE!!!!” as he would put it. 1f605.png Truly, he’s a gentleman of very esteemed words. What a nice chap, eh? A suave man.

In trying to secure an imprisoned and savagely angry man eager for bloodlust and revenge in his cage, Miles accidentally lets loose of him, and Rhino is free at last… alongside all the other Raft goons.

After a brief strife with the Raft prisoners, Peter fills in, and Miles sets his sights for Rhino; as Miles zips and slings onto Rhino’s back in an attempt to stop him for good, he’s set on a wild ride courtesy of Rhino through the Christmas-themed halls of the Harlem mall, leaving devastation in their wake, leading to an old warehouse under the property of “Roxxon.” Peter joins in, but is quickly defeated, and Miles fights back, despite Peter’s injuries. This is an aspect of Miles that I like quite a lot, similarly to Peter; they never give up, as cliched as that sounds. I think it really works in Miles’ shoes especially in part due to the death of his father, Jeff, who gave his life pushing away a suicide bomber at the City Hall; Miles was willing to risk his life for Peter in the same vein as his father risked his life. Even through the trauma of losing a loved one who did good in their life, it won’t stop them from doing good either, even if it means they’re also at risk.

But how does Miles stop Rhino if Peter couldn’t, you ask? See, the spider that Miles was bitten by was in fact property of Oscorp; Norman had been developing a spider to gain his own powers, and this newly engineered spider granted Miles the power of bioelectricity! This, in turn, opens up to some cool gameplay features which I’ll get into later, but I digress. Back to the story!

After an exhausting night, Peter announces that he’ll be going on vacation… but with Rhino taken care of, it shouldn’t be that bad that he’ll be gone, right? There’s no way there’ll be a civil war between an upcoming gang that wants to dethrone Fisk and Martin Li’s peak dominance, against a company that uses the guise of eco-friendly motives as a red herring to establish private properties throughout Harlem to become a looming force? No way. That could never happen.

But… it does happen. Oh, it happens. It happens happeningly in a happenous matter. So happeningly in fact, that a lot of the words in that last sentence aren’t even real words. That’s how dangerously it happens.

Happens. Sorry, just wanted to throw that in one more time. It’s a good word, isn’t it? Happ—Okay, I’ll stop beating the clearly dead horse.

As Miles returns home, he’s met by his mother, Rio Morales, an up-and-coming political candidate who wishes to become the mayor, and to establish her goals, she opposes Roxxon, the same company that owned the warehouse in the CHASE OF GOOSE with Rhino. Alongside Miles’ mother is Ganke, his tec-savvy friend who’s conveniently staying over for the next few weeks, and he’s a master of hacking and technology. In the game, it’s the festive time of year, Christmas, and there’s no better way to cherish that holiday spirit than with a good friend by your side, and that’s just the thing Miles needs as he takes the mantle of the new Spider-Man.

Another special guest just so happens to arrive, Phin Mason, a long-time best friend of Miles who collaborated on a special scientific project that won an award at a museum; the two were geniuses for their age, but in moving to a different school, the two slowly drifted apart. But, with Christmas in the air, it was the perfect time to catch up. Phin’s brother, Rick Mason, was noticeably absent, however…

On the following day, Ganke had set up an application that would let users directly link their problems to Spider-Man, and Miles was eager to use the afternoon to help people with their daily issues; one happened to be from none other than Miles’ uncle, Aaron Davis, who requests help realigning trains at the train station, alongside stopping a hijacker who was manipulating the frequencies of the network, who was part of a mysterious gang… After returning to Davis, more members of this gang arrive with explosives, but Miles puts a stop to it with his newfound powers. As he returned to Aaron, he was already aware of Miles’ identity (most likely due to recognizing his voice, I’d assume), and gifts him a free unlimited subway pass, a convenient reason for fast travelling in the game! But Aaron’s awareness of Miles’ identity would play an important part, later.

During the night, Rio is set to give a speech to the people of Harlem, but the citizens are interrupted by the broadcast of a cloaked individual, masked not only physically, but also audibly through a vocal modifier… This individual is the Tinkerer, the leader of a rising gang known as the Underground, who were set on being Harlem’s next top dogs. As Miles suits up to stop the interference of this new opposing force, it leads to a tense battle on a bridge, as the Tinkerer has held their sights on a truck belonging to Roxxon, filled with containers of a strange energy. As Miles, suited up as Spider-Man, attempts to stop the conflict after the Tinkerer grabbed onto a container, he latches on to retrieve it from their possession, but Miles’ bioelectricity instinctually activates, distorting the Tinkerer’s mask and revealing their identity, who just so happens to be Phin. In the strife, he’s flung by Phin into the Roxxon truck, filled with more of the containers. Miles was still new to his powers, and his bioelectrically unconsciously activated again, igniting the containers, and setting the bridge ablaze, but not before the Tinkerer managed to escape with one of them in her possession. This energy would be known as “Nuform”, the supposed eco-friendly energy source that could power Harlem, as touted by Roxxon’s CEO, Simon Krieger.

As the bridge starts collapsing, Miles scurries across the bridge to save every civilian, with some just in time. As he consoles the victims to ensure they’re in good condition, a group of Roxxon guards appear, but they’re not here to see to Miles’ safety; they’ve got their guns pointed on him, ready to accuse him of the whole fiasco. In an attempt to escape, Mile’s manages to completely camouflage himself, and he makes his getaway.  

With the Tinkerer’s identity revealed and a lead on his hands, Miles is unsure of calling Phin directly, and instead takes the sleuthing route; heading into an old shop owned by the aforementioned Rick Mason. With a secret passageway discovered, Miles uncovers old files of Rick in a poor condition, with Phin declaring an operation to be held at a Roxxon facility… Determined to find the truth, Miles makes his way to the base, and runs into a cloaked figure, the Prowler, a thief that Miles’ father, Jeff Davis, dedicated a part of his police career into investigating. The Prowler turns out to be none other than Aaron Davis himself, brother of Jeff and uncle to Miles. As the two team up, Miles retrieves Phin’s phone, and it plays a horrific video of Rick wanting to put the Nuform generators to an end, as they radiated harmful energy that would severely injure and even kill the residents of Harlem, as it was slowly happening to Rick himself. With two people needed for the shutdown, Rick directly stops the link to the Nuform generator, but is locked within a radius of it due to an interference by Simon Krieger, hellbent on keeping it active. With Rick locked inside as the generator starts combusting, Phin can do nothing but look as her brother is caught in the electric explosion.

I think Rick’s death is an interesting parallel to Jeff’s death, in which Phin was powerless just as Miles once was, as they both couldn’t do anything to save them. In so, they both gain powers in an attempt to do what’s right, but what separates Phin as the Tinkerer being in the moral grey as opposed to Miles as Spider-Man as a hero is that Miles doesn’t bend to the will of criminality to do what’s right; in honouring his father’s legacy, he wants to do good just as Jeff once did, whereas Phin’s ideal of doing good is more so related to taking revenge against Roxxon. Both seek vigilante justice, but Miles attempts to achieve justice with the help of the police (such as catching criminals in car chases and letting the police handle the rest), where as Phin becomes a criminal herself to achieve a greater good. I find this to be pretty good writing as Phin isn’t just some random gang goon, she’s someone who wants to do good like Miles, but her insistence on revenge muddles her once cognitive genius and aims to solve matters no matter the cost; it’s a moral grey area, not just a black and white good and bad scenario. What I think lends to this idea of vigilante justice is that Phin didn’t initially want to be the Tinkerer; her entire goal was to record shutting down the generator and having Rick be a primary witness as a collaborator on the Nuform project to showcase the damage it could do (Rick never wanted Nuform to hurt people, but seeing what it did to himself, he also wanted to stop it to make sure citizens wouldn’t be subjected to it). Her initial interest was to show to the world in a purely journalistic format the danger of Nuform; only upon Rick’s death did she turn to crime to achieve her sense of revenge under vigilantism.

As Miles uses his bioelectricity to absorb the power of the Nuform generator, he faces the ultimatum of releasing it as to not severely hurt his body, but this not only damages the Roxxon base; it consequently destroys the phone with evidence that could’ve stopped Simon Krieger, and thus achieve the justice that Phin initially wanted. With his explosion of energy, the Roxxon base is on full alert, and he manages to escape with the assistance of the Prowler.

As the two escape, Miles ponders on the idea of revealing to Phin his identity, but Aaron tells him to keep his identity a secret, otherwise he could potentially break their friendship, just as Aaron fell apart with his brother after revealing his life as the Prowler. With this in mind, Miles approaches Phin as himself, and talks about discovering the initial videos left at Rick’s store, and requests to join the Underground. After a trial of casually jumping from a crane onto a building and avoiding plummeting to a gruesome death (the usual teenager stuff), he successfully joins the crew, and Miles does some double-agent work of viewing the Underground base for clues on the location of the Nuform container that Phin took. The Undeground base happened to be Fisk Tower, and the Underground had taken over as a show of authority.

As Miles, now suited up as Spider-Man, goes into the inner depths of the base, he camouflages himself and eavesdrops on Phin’s conversation with some goons; she was keen on destroying Roxxon Plaza by destroying the Nuform generator, with the help of discovering the properties of Nuform with her stolen container. In a bid to stop her plan, Miles heads to the location of the stolen Nuform, but is intercepted by the Underground once again, and the Tinkerer escapes. Following an anxious chase with the Tinkerer, Miles is left out of options as he’s pinned down with a sword against his throat, and he unmasks himself; his identity as Spider-Man is revealed to Phin.

Distraught that Miles had lied to Phin, he’s left alone. His mother, Rio, isn’t aware of his identity, and he doesn’t want her to stress out, so he turns to Uncle Aaron for support. After telling Aaron that he’s stressed out with everything, he tells him to make a mixtape.

Okay, this would SEEM like bad writing, “Make my banger mixtape” isn’t seemingly the best response to a teenager’s woes, but believe me, it actually works here. Why, you ask? See, Jeff and Davis, before their falling out, loved to roam the streets and use the sounds of Harlem to make music. It was one of their best experiences as brothers, and upon moving on in life and especially in part to Jeff’s death, Aaron had been alone just as Miles had. In Miles making music, he reconnected with a sense of family, and his father again. He couldn’t tell his mother about his Spider-Man problems, so connecting with Aaron was his only way to move forward. In this, Miles realizes he’s no longer alone, and he has a purpose; to be connected with not only his family, but to protect Harlem.

It sounds preachy, but the power of music is a thing that connects people, cultures, and ways of life. It’s a concept that connected the Davis family and kept them together, and being reminded of this sparked a reignited passion for Miles to protect those he loved. Miles tells Aaron that he’ll be meeting with Phin at Trinity Church, and sets off… But not before Aaron phones someone…

As Miles reconvenes with Phin at the Trinity Church rooftop to sort out their problems, they’re interrupted by the forces Roxxon. Not only that, but Rhino’s back, and he’s powered up with Roxxon technology; Miles’ bioelectricity won’t work anymore. Roxxon never handed him in to the police, he was now their valuable ally. Powerless, the two are captured, and Krieger frustratingly cannot unmask Miles due to his bioelectricty unconsciously activating upon any threatening touch. In response, he orders his guards to beat Miles, and in a defensive fury, he unleashes a spark of bioelectric energy and sets himself free. The two start their escape, and discover that the Prowler had been working with Roxxon; because Miles had told Aaron that he’d be at Trinity Church with Phin, he told Roxxon of their location so she’d be stopped, but never intended for Miles to be subjected to punishment. The Prowler can’t do much about it; if he sold Krieger out, he’d be in a cell for being involved in Roxxon as well, and with Miles seemingly under their control, he can’t oppose Krieger otherwise Miles would get hurt. “Leverage”, as Krieger puts it.

With this discovery, Phin is led to believe that Miles had trapped her, even though it wasn’t his fault. The two don’t have time to dwell on it and discuss it though, as they run into Rhino again. YES INDEED, IT’S TIME FOR ANOTHER CHASE OF GOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miles cannot directly attack Rhino due to his new modifications, so he rams Rhino into Roxxon tanks, and flings engines at him to deal damage, with Phin occasionally assisting too. In doing so, Rhino’s modifications start failing, and he’s soon defeated. Phin is tempted to kill him for good, but Miles insists that that’s not the way of justice; as aforementioned, Miles wants to aid the police, and having him be captured is enough. As Miles uses nearby terminals to gather information on Simon to take him down, he discovers that the Nuform generator in Roxxon Plaza is enough to destroy not only the plaza itself, but a majority of Harlem with it, which could potentially kill thousands. As he starts taking this data, Rhino mocks Phin by joking about Rick’s death, infuriating her, and motivating her to kill him. As she stabs him, Miles intervenes and the two are pushed out of the room, before debris covers the way back in for Phin to finish the job. Enraged over Miles lying and believing he trapped her in Roxxon’s base, she threatens Miles to never meddle again, with Miles unable to tell her that her plan would destroy Harlem due to his injuries.

As Miles manages to return home in a severe state, Rio discovers him in his suit, and he’s left to tell her the truth; he is Spider-Man. As Miles tells her of everything that’s been happening, she’s keen on protecting the people of Harlem and prepares an evacuation, and Miles looks to his father’s picture with a determination to do what’s right.  

Miles discusses with Ganke the subject of Phin’s location, and he pins it down on the Oscorp Science Center; the place where Miles and her had showcased their wining science project. As he suits up and slings his way there, he’s sniped by an unknown force. It’s the Prowler, but he’s not here to hurt Miles. No, he’s here to protect him, but placing him in an underground cell so that he won’t get hurt. Aaron recalls losing his brother, and he doesn’t want to lose Miles, no matter the cost. Miles, however, determined with inheriting his father’s legacy as a hero, isn’t ready to bow down, and the two are caught in an unfortunate battle of ideals; justice with risk, or safety. After the strife, Miles sticks Aaron down with his webs, and heads to the Oscorp Science Center.

In a cool flashback sequence, Miles recalls viewing all the gizmos and machines built by the greatest minds of their generation with Phin as they were ready to present their project in the past, even running into Peter Parker for the first time alongside Otto Octavius, Peter’s mentor and fellow scientist. As the flashback ends, Miles finds the Nuform container at the place where their project was presented, but Phin intervenes once again and takes the container, with her eyes set on Roxxon Plaza. Miles is about to tell her of the devastation she’ll unintentionally cause, but he’s interrupted by more Underground goons, and he’s left with no choice but to confront her at the plaza.

As he returns back to the streets of Harlem, he’s met with a war against the Undeground and Roxxon Plaza, with one side hellbent on destroying it, whilst the other was set on preserving it to ensure Simon Krieger’s reign. As Miles, suited up as Spider-Man, takes a stand and puts a stop to the fight, he groups up with some remaining civilians yet to evacuate, alongside his mother who was brave enough to stay in the warzone to help any victims. Suddenly, the Prowler once again appears, with a new ideal; embracing the justice of his brother and letting Miles fulfill his purpose. With a rekindled spirit, Miles heads to the plaza to stop Phin and the damage she’ll cause. Miles attempts to reason with her, but after his lying, she assumes he’s merely bluffing under the belief that Krieger had told him nonsense and continues with her plan. After a struggling clash against the two, the generator starts letting off streams of energy that erupts through the Harlem streets, blatantly outside of Phin’s predicted radius of Roxxon Plaza. After realizing what she’s begun to cause, a bunch of debris sends the two falling next to the generator and leaves them nearly dead.

The generator is blazing with energy and is set to explode at any moment, it’s howling blisteringly through the air and causing mayhem. Miles crawls to Phin, and stands up with every bit of his strength, and heads to the generator. For the people of Harlem, for Phin, for his father’s legacy, for Aaron to start a new life, he walks towards the danger. The Nuform energy is distorting his senses, leaving him struggling to merely walk, but he keeps his head held high and makes his way closer, and closer, and closer, to the Nuform. Against the waves of energy, to the debris hurling in his direction, he continues to march on with everything his body can physically muster. At last, he makes direct contact with the generator, and grabs on with all his willpower; he’s willing to absorb all of the generator’s berserk energy if it means protecting anyone, letting out a desperate, yet defiantly brave scream.

With the streams of energy coursing through his body, it’s apparent that he can’t keep it held in. As Rio and other onlookers approach the generator to inspect what’s happened, Phin gathers the energy to stand up. Having studied the power of Nuform, even she’s aware that Miles can’t keep it held forever, and with her technology equipped, picks up Miles and runs up the plaza’s main tower to hurl them both into the sky for Miles to let out the wild energy, holding Miles in a final embrace in the sky.  

Miles falls back to the ground with Phin nowhere to be seen. His mother runs to him, not ready to lose another close one, but is ecstatic to see him still alive, and proud of what he’s done; he’s fulfilled the legacy of his father who once protected Harlem before him. The first words that Miles can muster is if everyone is alright, and his distraught over Phin’s sacrifice, again emphasizing his concern over others.

The onlooking citizens, despite now knowing his identity, return his mask, and upon the quick arrival of journalists eager to know who Spider-Man truly is, an interviewed person states; “He’s our Spider-Man.” Four weeks later, Krieger is arrested after his involvement with Roxxon goes public, alongside their push of Nuform despite the dangers, and Miles roams the streets of Harlem once again.

And that puts a close to the story. This story section is already 4000+ words, making it longer than any of my previous reviews with all their sections! Man, the story of Miles and his journey through Harlem was awesome. It was brief compared to its predecessor, but damn was it awesome. It’s definitely an incredible game, and if this is the stuff that Insomniac is creating, then I can’t wait for what they’ll have next in store!

Gameplay:

The gameplay for Miles Morales features the same fun web slinging and zipping around like it’s predecessor, Marvel’s Spider-Man, with the usage of R2 trigger, alongside both triggers to directly zip to one point, in which you’ve got a brief period to press X to jump whilst maintaining your momentum which allows for some pin-point accuracy as you sling through Harlem. This very brief overview of web slinging sincerely cannot do it justice; both Spider-Man 1 and Miles Morales handle web slinging so perfectly, it’s so fun just booting up the game just to do this!

But how exactly does Miles Morales separate itself from Spider-Man 1? Well, that bioelectric power that Miles had been accustomed to is known as “Venom”, akin to the venom of spiders in part to the sting that Miles can leave in his wake. You’ve got tons of usages for this ability in combat, such as directly striking one enemy via the Venom Punch with L1 + Square, which can leave them electrified in which additional melee attacks will deal more damage. If you need to quickly get away from a wave of enemies, you can utilise the Venom Dash via L1 + Triangle to run through anything in your path, alongside the Venom Jump (L1 + X), which allows you to spring into the air alongside any enemy within your radius, allowing you to initiate air combat and leave everyone electrified for more damage.

The venom energy exhausts a meter, and you gain it back by dealing damage, so if you time your venom jumps, you can bring a TON of enemies in the air and do enough damage to perform ANOTHER venom jump and repeat the process. It’s sick to have these options at your disposal.
If that doesn’t satisfy you, you’ve got the explosive Mega Venom Blast (L1 + Circle + Triangle), which allows Miles to violently release his stored energy, stopping anything in his past, with a huge cost of the venom meter, best used as a last resort.

And the best part? You can chain these together. Have a bunch of goons with particularly strong one? Venom Punch the big one and immediately venom jump to continue your combo and then deal damage mid-air against the other enemies and gain back your venom meter to chain into other combos.

How do you deal other combos? We’re at the tip of the iceberg, because that’s ONLY the venom powers; you’ve also got the ability to sling any nearby object around you as an additional crowd-control tactic, alongside slinging weapons that enemies may have, and throwing it right back at them, leaving them defenseless.

You’ve got suit upgrades at your disposal, allowing you to camouflage mid-combat to initiate stealth combat, as you slowly approach enemies from behind to deal an instant defeat on unsuspecting foes, you’ve got the ability to sneak from ceilings and walls above and web enemies to them, you’ve got holograms that deal damage for you, deployable mines that electrocute within a small radius, gravity mines that can pull enemies into one spot which you can chain into a venom jump that’ll take advantage of everyone being caught within the attack. If you’re in a pinch, you can use your Venom meter to instead heal back some HP by pressing down on the D-Pad to restore health, prioritizing defence when it’s best suited for you. You can scan the environment to seek out enemies with R3 if you’re in stealth, and you can use the Triangle button to web up enemies and melee them into walls to leave them stuck that way.

You can also time the dodge button (Circle) at the perfect moment to web up an enemy, and you can gain the ability to instantly defeat an opponent with a perfect dodge, rewarding risky gameplay. With all this, you can even web sling around in battle as you can anywhere else.

The options in Miles’ gameplay are very diverse, and there’s a ton of tools at your disposal, leaving a unique sense of gameplay that Spider-Man 1 didn’t offer. It’s cool to see Insomniac shake up the formula with Miles’ venom ability!

To showcase these abilities even more, Peter Parker has set up stations across Harlem in which you can individually test out each of Miles' abilities, from slinging through hoops to test your agility, to full-on battle simulations, alongside stealth situations in which you rescue hostages without being seen at all, you've got to put each ability to the test.

Difficulty: 4.5/10 (If not being played on the easiest difficulty)
Enjoyment: 9/10

Dude this is such a long review, but some how I read the whole thing.

Must be cus you have outstanding writing skills.

Your good dude, too damn good at this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Dude this is such a long review, but some how I read the whole thing.

Must be cus you have outstanding writing skills.

Your good dude, too damn good at this.

Thanks, it took a while to write it but I'm glad you like it! ?
I'm here spending ages writing one long review, and then you've got @DrBloodmoney talking in-depth about multiple games at once! ? It definitely takes a lot of time and consideration to write about multiple games at the same time!

As a side note, I've got another review planned for tomorrow, on Sonic Colours: Ultimate. Needless to say, this'll probably be my first not positive review! ?
I completed the game before Miles Morales, but I wanted to start with a good note, so that's why I did the Miles review first, also since it was the poll winner last time!

• Like 2

I can't say that I'm usually interested in Spider-Man, but I read the entire thing and holy hell was it entertaining! :D Just took a while to read everything, hence the delayed answer ?

I'm glad that you decided to talk about the story... Really seems to be the star of the show for you, and it shows! Usually most people simply talk about the gameplay, which seems to be solid in all Spider-Man games by insomniac so far... 

What I heard about the first game is that it becomes a bit repetitive with time... Does the shorter nature of the Miles Morales entry solve the issue of repetition? 

Nice write-up for sure :) 

P.S: The bug with the spoiler-brackets happens quite often.. Whenever I use one I always check if it works for me, and edit the post if it doesn't.. It's weird and annoying, but the spoiler warning was more than visible here ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

What I heard about the first game is that it becomes a bit repetitive with time... Does the shorter nature of the Miles Morales entry solve the issue of repetition? 

Nice write-up for sure :)

Thanks!
When it comes to repetition in the Spider-Man games, I'd personally say it's more so when it comes to raiding enemy bases (Roxxon Bases and Underground Hideouts in Miles); essentially it's just beating a certain amount of enemies and accomplishing the same tasks. But even then, you can approach each fight differently; you can take the stealthy route and beat every enemy without been seen, or just going in guns blazing (not literally as Miles doesn't shoot people! ? But you get the idea).

When it comes to the campaign for Miles Morales, usually when you're engaged in story missions, key characters often communicate with you; not just random orders, but actual dialogue which is pretty cool. They don't repeat the same quotes over and over; it's all stuff that relates to what you're doing and their own thoughts etc. It's sort of the same philosophy as Valve games where cutscenes are integrated within the gameplay.

That being said, you're required to do NG+, so you have to do everything a second time. Granted, in the case of Miles Morales, it isn't that long since it's a shorter story.
Where as with Spider-Man 1, you've also got the DLC packs as well, so I think that's where the notion of repetition comes from, but they've got great storylines too.

Given that you're doing Sine Mora EX at the moment, the Spider-Man games are nice to unwind with, so they're some good games to chill out with once you're done with that! And you will get it done mate. You've pulled off some killer games, so you'll get it done. ? Seeing as it was a game you were intimidated by at first, just starting it is always the big step. Starting hard games is like first dipping into a pool; it's cold at first and you may be hesitant, but once you take the plunge, you adapt... Now if only I could convince myself of this! ?  

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Thanks, it took a while to write it but I'm glad you like it! 1f600.png
I'm here spending ages writing one long review, and then you've got @DrBloodmoney talking in-depth about multiple games at once! 1f605.png It definitely takes a lot of time and consideration to write about multiple games at the same time!

As a side note, I've got another review planned for tomorrow, on Sonic Colours: Ultimate. Needless to say, this'll probably be my first not positive review! 1f605.png
I completed the game before Miles Morales, but I wanted to start with a good note, so that's why I did the Miles review first, also since it was the poll winner last time!

I’m a little curious hear what someone who actually understands gaming thinks about the game.

I recently 100% the game and while a good overall Sonic game. I think it may just be slightly overrated by its fan base…or underrated. 
Idk the Sonic Fandom is kinda bipolar and hard to please at times.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

Excellent write up, It’s nice to see a objective review regarding a Sonic tittle, and I think your right. It’s good but not great but with that said there are some extra points I’d like to share.

The level design and aspects of the core gameplay(wisps mostly) we’re imo heavyly inspired from Mario.

I feel this was the case due to not only original wii only status( the same console Mario is on)

but also can be seen in its general design.

The game leans on more explanation ranter being fast with the boost gameplay.

This can be seen in how the game rewards you with S ranks by using the wisps to explore levels to find red star rings(aka green stars in Mario)

This focus encourages experimentation of said powers in each stage to uncover secret routes and such.

The game even rocks 7 level per world(yet again like Mario)

Just thought I’d put that out there, it still doesn’t make Sonic Colors a great game(or even close to one of the series best) but it did help me appreciate the game more after I finally achieved the platinum.

Hopfully we get remastered Generation next so we can get to play the best of the boost era games on modern consoles.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

@Wild-Arms-R Glad you liked the review! Those are some great points you make as well. Especially how Sonic Team tried to make something that'd appeal to Mario fans; I additionally think they really took that concept a step further with Sonic Lost World. Despite Lost World having a bad story, I actually do respect Sonic Team for trying something new, even if it did lean to similarly to the Mario Galaxy games (even though SA2 had Mad Space with the whole gravitational planets thing as well ?). With whatever they'll be doing with the upcoming 2022 game, I sincerely hope it's something great.

On the note of the platinum, I actually think Colours: Ultimate has a really fantastic trophy list when it comes to Sonic games, asking you to S rank everything and collect all red rings; it asks for a true 100% completion which is great to see. I wonder if they'd shake Generations' trophy list up if it gets a remaster since it similarly asked for 100% completion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shrooba said:

@Wild-Arms-R Glad you liked the review! Those are some great points you make as well. Especially how Sonic Team tried to make something that'd appeal to Mario fans; I additionally think they really took that concept a step further with Sonic Lost World. Despite Lost World having a bad story, I actually do respect Sonic Team for trying something new, even if it did lean to similarly to the Mario Galaxy games (even though SA2 had Mad Space with the whole gravitational planets thing as well 1f61b.png). With whatever they'll be doing with the upcoming 2022 game, I sincerely hope it's something great.

On the note of the platinum, I actually think Colours: Ultimate has a really fantastic trophy list when it comes to Sonic games, asking you to S rank everything and collect all red rings; it asks for a true 100% completion which is great to see. I wonder if they'd shake Generations' trophy list up if it gets a remaster since it similarly asked for 100% completion.

You know your probably the only person I know who has compared Sonic Adventure 2 Madworld stage to SMG, I like it lol.

I don’t mind it enither that the game is slower paced wants you interact more with the stages tho, reminds of the older genesis games in that regard(Sonic Origins collection hype)

And in the note of Sonic Mario ranted stuff, I hear the new upcoming Sonic Rangers is gonna be open world-ish(Mario Odyssey) style.

Couod be stellar, or could be Sonic 06(I’lm kidding it won’t ever get that bad again)levels. 

Well anyways I look forward to that Generations Remaster review one that day bud. ?

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Ravenholm in Half-Life 2

B-but - we don't go to Ravenholm remember?

Man I love that area, that has atmosphere out the wazoo!

Looks like you've got some fun times coming up, especially when you get to Final Fantasy X and Okami.... Gran Turismo 6 too judging from we've spoken about in my thread the last day or so I suspect you'll have a blast with that also.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

B-but - we don't go to Ravenholm remember?

Man I love that area, that has atmosphere out the wazoo!

Looks like you've got some fun times coming up, especially when you get to Final Fantasy X and Okami.... Gran Turismo 6 too judging from we've spoken about in my thread the last day or so I suspect you'll have a blast with that also.

Ravenholm was an awesome experience for sure. I distinctly remember there being an achievement for HL2 where you had to make it through the entirety of Ravenholm using only the gravity gun, and holy hell it was a lot of fun. Goes to show how innovative that weapon was-- honestly it's more akin to a multitask tool! If only the Orange Box had trophies on the PS3 version...

When I get to GT6, seeing as you've done the Senna DLC, you wouldn't mind if I asked for tips, would you? ? I reckon that's the first thing I'll do when I start it, I usually like tackling the hardest aspects of games first to get it out of the way! But then first, I gotta sit through the never-ending pile of updates... ? I could probably run across the entire world in 80 days and it'd still be going!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Shrooba: I wanted to update you and let you know that I finished up Psychonauts on my alt account, and I’ve gotta say…

What a game. It almost starts off making you think it’s strictly a kid’s game, but as I played more and more I slowly drifted away from that mindset and started to realize the devs probably wanted you to feel like you were in a fever dream or on an acid trip while traversing the levels. ? I don’t want to spoil anything though, especially if you haven’t delved into it yet. 

Graphics might be a bit dated also, but it does not detract away from the enjoyment whatsoever. You almost forget about the game’s grainy textures and get lost in the story, characters, and gameplay. The only thing I found slightly daunting was the figment collectibles as there is well over 1000 of them spread across the entire game, but nothing one can’t manage and they’re organized in the menus is such a way that makes it easy to track them thankfully. 

I’m probably going to do a platinum speedrun for the game after I learn the ins and outs a bit more, and watching speedruns for the game on YouTube I’m seeing just how dedicated some people are to optimizing the 100% category. When you eventually get to the game do tell me what you think of it! I’ll be playing the second game by the end of the year as well. ??

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 1:26 AM, Shrooba said:

Momentarily popping back in for another update, folks! Sorry for the wait; I’ve still got a few more weeks left before my Uni break and there’s still work to be done (4 assignments to go!), but I’m checking in to declare that I'm not dead! 1f605.png

I’ve managed to 100% F1 2021, and so I’ve ended the poll! Usually, I’d write up a review for it right now, but that’ll have to wait (alongside my long awaited Crash 3 review). Looking at the poll, those results were really close! But in the end, Okami HD nabs the win with 5 votes! Therefore, I’ll be focusing on this game next when my schedule frees up.
Psychonauts only had 2 votes, but @HoorayForTyler based on what you've said, it's definitely something I'll be checking out soon after Okami!

Here's the poll results (praying that Imgur actually works and posts the fricking image!!! 1f605.png):
f4GEUMf.png

If the image didn't post for whatever reason, then the results are:
BioShock 1 Remastered - 4 votes
Hyper Light Drifter - 4 votes
Okami HD - 5 votes
Psychonauts - 2 votes
The Spectrum Retreat - 0 votes

With 0 votes, looks like The Spectrum Retreat will uh... be "retreating" into the backlog!... Yeah I apologize for that one. 1f605.png

At this point, I’d log off into the abyss for another 2-3 weeks, and while I will be doing that, I just wanted to quickly give an apology to @rjkclarke and @DrBloodmoney; I did say I’d look at your Hue and latest GoW reviews respectively (plus keeping up with all the other reviews). I do promise that I haven’t forgotten to read them, and I’ll absolutely check them when I return back later on! This goes for all other people whose checklists I read, but I wanted to specifically address you guys since I did promise to check ‘em out!

I’ve been gone for quite a while, and it’ll be a bit of time before I properly return, but I’ve kept you all in mind! Until we meet again! 1f60e.png

I’ve meaning to start okami myself(along with Dragon's Dogma) for awhile so should be a interesting read when you put it out man.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Shrooba said:

Progress on Okami HD is going well

I think you may be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me with Okami - that one's gettin another bump up the backlog!

Yup, the iconic and rather classic FF7.

I'm gonna place a fat bet that you won't be disappointed?

Far Cry. Now this is a series I've heard a lot of, but haven't at all played! 1f605.png This is apparently the game that really sparked the formula of the series, and I do love single player shooter games rich with story like Half-Life, so this is one I'm interested to check out!

Same! I've owned the PS4 version of Far Cry 3 for a while (and still have the 360 version in a box somewhere) and have been meaning to get to it forrr-eee-vvveerrrrr (as they say in The Sandlot).

And lastly, there is potentially the GTA Trilogy... but the originals were taken off of the store. 1f628.png
@YaManSmevz This brings me back to your take on Vice City, and I also see you're playing San Andreas. I know those are the original versions so you haven't played the "remasters", but seeing as you have good knowledge on the original ports, would you reckon that the remastered trilogy seems like a good edition? Or is it not worth it? I've seen scathing reviews of the remaster but I wanna hear a take from someone adjusted with the series already.

Thanks! It's nice to be thought of?

I didn't have much interest in the remasters beyond maybe watching videos to see how they ended up looking, and sadly the resulting backlash has made me feel that I was right to stick to my guns - this is one of those cases where I didn't want to be right, y'know? It's pretty shitty how they pulled the original games too, because I think everybody should have a chance to experience these games, early '00s jank and all, but cannot in good conscience recommend purchasing the new trilogy.

Maybe keep an eye out to see if they relent and re-post the original trilogy, or if in the future patches to the new trilogy can make the games more comfortably playable (but even then still only at a huge discount). But barring that, and it genuinely pains me to say this, I would strongly suggest you sit those out altogether.

• Like 1