Sorted my games into folders

GoonerLukeThe

I've never used folders on PS4. I have every game I've played still installed and when I need a new game to start I just check the purchased section in my library and select a game to install. If I decide to return to a game I haven't yet achieved 100% I just check my trophy list or my profile here to choose a game I still need trophies in.

My folders are as follows :):

Junk - Everything that came pre-installed with the PS4's OS.

No longer Supported - Everything that no longer has any patches or DLCs being released for it.

Still Supported - Everything that still has patches or DLCs being released for it.

Never Supported - Everything that never had any patches or DLC released for it. Anything in this folder is very low priority to play because if there are any problems, they won't ever be fixed so I'd rather suffer through the issues when I'm in the right mood.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

In Progress: Games I started playing or about to start as part of an event/challenge here on this site. I only install physical/PS+ games when I’m ready to play them due to space unless they fall into one of the other folders.

Online: Games with online trophies. Somewhat of a priority. I don’t like online stuff much but I try to squeeze a game in from time to time.

Digital: Games I actually bought digitally. Both finished and unfinished.

F2P: Free to play games.

Apps: Apps I use or can’t delete.

I have 4 folders:

Single Player: every game i want to play alone. Usually 10 games.

Multiplayer: all games i want to play with others, mostly online coop, rarely offline coop. Usually 6 games.

Reserve: something i may need later i.e. Killing Floor 2 as it gets new content regularly but also games i have prepared to get the plat/last trophy later like currently Vikings and Zombie Army 4. Usually 3 games.

Apps: all the PS apps we cannot get rid of.

Very interesting topic, love seeing stuff like this! I'm focusing on completing games I started and stopped for whatever reason, my completion percentage is not pretty. Here's mine:

Do first - The games I prioritize and focus the most attention on, so I don't end up jumping back and forth between like 30 games. Right now there are 4 games in it, A Telltale game, for when I'm feeling lazy. Two games I'm doing the multiplayer trophies for, and then a fourth game which is the one I'm putting the most time into. 

To go back to - Games that I've started, but that I'm not working on atm. These will be moved into the first folder when I complete those games.

Not started - About 50 games in my backlog that I may eventually get to one day. (Oh, how I wish I wasn't an impulse buyer).

CO-OP - Games for playing with my CO-OP partners, just so I can easily find them when needed.

Trash - Various apps and programs that I don't care about using.

• Like 2

Action Adventure - stuff like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, etc

FPS - Far Cry, Bulletstorm, etc

Choice - games where your choices affect the story, like Until Dawn, Heavy Rain, Telltale games, etc

Puzzle - The Witness, Glass Masquerade, etc

Sandbox - open world games like GTA, Assassin's Creed, etc

PSN - games with 100% lists but no platinum.

There are others, but you get the idea. :D

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

LOL. So many great ideas here. I really should emulate sone of this.

I only have one folder. It’s to put all the stupid Sony stuff that often clutters my list. I call it “stupid Sony stuff”.

I laughed at this, because that's my typical go to on stuff I can't get rid of. I have exactly one folder on my PS4, called Stuff with all the Sony stuff. I only have two games installed at a time. One I'm playing and one my kid is playing. If I'm getting close to finishing a game, I'll install the next game I intend to play. No need for more folders.

My phone also has one folder called Stuff with all the built-in stuff. Then the few apps I use aren't enough to be put into folders.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I laughed at this, because that's my typical go to on stuff I can't get rid of. I have exactly one folder on my PS4, called Stuff with all the Sony stuff. I only have two games installed at a time. One I'm playing and one my kid is playing. If I'm getting close to finishing a game, I'll install the next game I intend to play. No need for more folders.

My phone also has one folder called Stuff with all the built-in stuff. Then the few apps I use aren't enough to be put into folders.

I can’t imagine having only two games (one for yourself) installed at a time.  I need to bounce around or I get burned out easily by a single game.

10 minutes ago, djb5f said:

I need to bounce around or I get burned out easily by a single game.

You should only really be getting burned out by a game if it requires a stupid number of hours to complete it though.  Something like the recent AC titles or your typical Rockstar release, I could understand being burned out if you just played that game exclusively from start to finish.  But a 40-50 hour plat, for example, shouldn't be enough to do that to you.

I tend to have 2 or 3 games on the go at the same time, so I can avoid having that happen.  And so that if I'm getting frustrated by something in one game, I can take a break, play something else for a couple of days, and come back to it.  Perhaps not the most efficient way to game, but it works for me.

21 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

You should only really be getting burned out by a game if it requires a stupid number of hours to complete it though.  Something like the recent AC titles or your typical Rockstar release, I could understand being burned out if you just played that game exclusively from start to finish.  But a 40-50 hour plat, for example, shouldn't be enough to do that to you.

I tend to have 2 or 3 games on the go at the same time, so I can avoid having that happen.  And so that if I'm getting frustrated by something in one game, I can take a break, play something else for a couple of days, and come back to it.  Perhaps not the most efficient way to game, but it works for me.

Yeah, if it is 20-25, I can roll through it.

But if it is 40-50 hours (or more), I definitely need to bounce around between games.  

I enjoy having different genre games, including sports games which are fun for casual play over a longer haul.  I still play a random game of Rocket League or Fall Guys too even though I already got the platinums.  I still play Rock Band regularly.

I am the same way with TV shows.  Some people can binge a whole season of a show in a weekend.  I can’t watch more than 3 shows back-to-back without a break.

I can have a main game/TV show I am working on but still prefer some variety mixed in.

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

I used to have 3 folders. Apps, Complete, and Incomplete. Apps has all the clutter I don't need on the XMB. I just merged the other 2 into a Games folder as I usually delete a game once I am finished with it. Some games I keep installed no matter what, just in case I get the itch to play them. I have over 150 games in my library but currently only have like 40 installed so I didn't need a bunch of folders.

My games / PS+ / PS2 / Artbooks / Demos / Media and misc (for multimedia reader, svod apps, etc)

Folders weren’t immediately available at launch of the PS4, they came 3 years later in 2016, so I’m not surprised there’s no folder on PS5, that’s the kind of feature that would come in a future update.

(still... no folder on switch)

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

I only have two games installed at a time. One I'm playing and one my kid is playing. If I'm getting close to finishing a game, I'll install the next game I intend to play. No need for more folders.

That's impressive. I can't imagine starting a Yakuza or Dynasty Warriors game and then not playing anything else for several months. Since those games are mostly 100hours+ games.

interesting to read the folder ppl have and why they have them

I personally never had a use for folders because as a half assed completionist I only download games I'm actively working on, and I try not to play more than 2 games (3 absolute max) at a time 

Folders are the shit. I’m mainly rocking 2 these days, the “To Platinum” folder which houses the games at the very top of my backlog, and the “Unfinished Games & DLC” folder which has a few games I need to go back to and clean up for various reasons.

I actually never realized you can put apps into folders until reading through this thread, so thank you for that. There will soon be a 3rd folder called “The Rug”, under which I sweep all the shit off the XMB that I hate looking at.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 10:52 PM, Gecko-Byte said:

You get 10 apps/games on XMB and the rest will fall under your Library tab.

Is there by chance a “Limit Content Items on Home Screen” option automatically checked off on the PS5 like there is on the PS4? It could be why you only see the first 10 installed applications. I found out about this quirk when I first tried to self boost online trophies with alt accounts on PS4.

On PS3, I have each game inside its own album of the same name, and its region if a foreign one. It is the only way to keep them in alphabetical order. I keep another folder at the top (*Online!) for online trophies I still need to get to.

On Vita, I don’t really like the “Live Area” with the tin pin bubbles ? I don’t know what was wrong with the XMB like it was on the PSP. I do the same though, try to keep in alphabetical order, and group together whatever has online trophies in their own bubble (10 is not enough space ?).

PS4 is a different beast all it’s own. The Library which is accessible without going into the PSN store keeps alphabetical order by default, and splits installed items vs not yet installed, and you have the option to hide anything you want, so as you finish games you can shrink the size of your library. Much appreciated. The folders and applications however work a little differently from the PS3. The most recent application or folder you use will bump to the left, but whatever you put into a folder will stay in that order you manually set. So you can alphabetize it. I have Online Trophy games and other games (only installed what I think I should play next for 100% for real, like the artsy games and such).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EqualityEarth said:

Is there by chance a “Limit Content Items on Home Screen” option automatically checked off on the PS5 like there is on the PS4? It could be why you only see the first 10 installed applications. I found out about this quirk when I first tried to self boost online trophies with alt accounts on PS4.

On PS3, I have each game inside its own album of the same name, and its region if a foreign one. It is the only way to keep them in alphabetical order. I keep another folder at the top (*Online!) for online trophies I still need to get to.

On Vita, I don’t really like the “Live Area” with the tin pin bubbles 1f612.png I don’t know what was wrong with the XMB like it was on the PSP. I do the same though, try to keep in alphabetical order, and group together whatever has online trophies in their own bubble (10 is not enough space 1f644.png).

PS4 is a different beast all it’s own. The Library which is accessible without going into the PSN store keeps alphabetical order by default, and splits installed items vs not yet installed, and you have the option to hide anything you want, so as you finish games you can shrink the size of your library. Much appreciated. The folders and applications however work a little differently from the PS3. The most recent application or folder you use will bump to the left, but whatever you put into a folder will stay in that order you manually set. So you can alphabetize it. I have Online Trophy games and other games (only installed what I think I should play next for 100% for real, like the artsy games and such).

Not that I seen no, it in limited to 10 on the XMB menu with 3 always being there. The ps5 was rushed in software and it honestly is pretty primitive. The library area has a bunch of options (But until next update, every game that is the same stacks in a menu other than it) and you can have a hidden list and a sort by option. But that is basically just about it. Lmao.

While I'm on PS5 these days, I did use the folders on PS4. Which were:

Games with Unfinished Business - Anything started and not finished, or finished and had future DLC coming. 

Unplayed - Had a habit of downloading things the night before, then the next day not wanting to play it...so it was just a folder of games that hadn't been started yet.

Pick up and Play Games - Games like Borderlands or WWE where I could just start it, play for a little and put it back down. 

Useless Shit - All the bloatware apps like Sharefactory, Spotify, the Playroom, etc that I don't want but you can't delete.

• 2 weeks later...

I miss categorising games on my console but since I have entered the new gen’s only Xbox Series X can do such stuff and I really dislike how they did on PS5.

On PS4 I tried simplicity so I had folder’s for: Apps, Currently Playing, Finished but not 100% and “Never Dead Games”. Last one was for my favourite games like God of War (2018), SW: Fallen Order, CoD. MW2 CR (this one is so big in a GB’s meaning) and so on.
And what you can do on PS5? Maybe waiting for exclusives.