Is platinum doable?

The_JaYdenPal

The servers are almost certainly dead at this point so boosting is essential. As for the hard trophies, pretty much the entire list is a PITA but finishing the game on Nightmare difficulty is the hardest one of the lot because your health is capped at 50% and any health earned over that, will quickly disappear until you're back at 50%.

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

The servers are almost certainly dead at this point so boosting is essential. As for the hard trophies, pretty much the entire list is a PITA but finishing the game on Nightmare difficulty is the hardest one of the lot because your health is capped at 50% and any health earned over that, will quickly disappear until you're back at 50%.

Ok thanks for the help, appreciate it

• 6 months later...
On 8/25/2021 at 10:22 AM, MythicNuke2K said:

Yeah, platinum for the PS4 version is very manageable and straightforward. There are numerous comprehensive and easy-to-follow YouTube videos covering all the collectables (Video logs, lockers, PDAs). Nightmare mode isn't bad at all as you can speedrun the levels once you're familiar with the maps. 

I agree. Got 100% just a little bit ago. Don't let people tell you Nightmare is super hard. It's not bad at all. Especially if you manage your saves well.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
On 3/13/2022 at 11:26 PM, skateak said:

I agree. Got 100% just a little bit ago. Don't let people tell you Nightmare is super hard. It's not bad at all. Especially if you manage your saves well.

If by manage your saves well, you mean "save after every group of enemies". Christ, what an annoying fucking game. Your health constantly ticks down to 25 hp and almost every enemy in the game is able to one hit you at that level. Add to this the fact that the game constantly silently spawns enemies behind you, as well as placing enemies directly behind doors or walls in ways that make it impossible to dodge their attacks unless you already know they're there, and what you have is a game that punishes you for not abusing saves.

It's not that difficult all in all due to the fact that you can abuse save spamming to divide the game into easily manageable microdoses, but the game itself is a MASSIVE pain in the ass.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 1

On 23/11/2022 at 6:01 PM, Darling Baphomet said:

If by manage your saves well, you mean "save after every group of enemies". Christ, what an annoying fucking game. Your health constantly ticks down to 25 hp and almost every enemy in the game is able to one hit you at that level. Add to this the fact that the game constantly silently spawns enemies behind you, as well as placing enemies directly behind doors or walls in ways that make it impossible to dodge their attacks unless you already know they're there, and what you have is a game that punishes you for not abusing saves.

It's not that difficult all in all due to the fact that you can abuse save spamming to divide the game into easily manageable microdoses, but the game itself is a MASSIVE pain in the ass.

Keep it going, I'm quite sure you will be able to beat this game. It's unfortunate you're not enjoying it as it's quite enjoyable, but I can admit the Imps that bend space/time to lunge are annoying at times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TriadThunder-X said:

Keep it going, I'm quite sure you will be able to beat this game. It's unfortunate you're not enjoying it as it's quite enjoyable, but I can admit the Imps that bend space/time to lunge are annoying at times.

Game is exactly as DB described.

What is enjoyable by saving every 25 meters you move, or after killing each enemy the entire game?

Then get 1-shotted and waste time on loading and saving constantly again.

I grew up with Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, Duke Nukem and the likes, and the gameplay from Doom 3 is 18 years old now and hasn't aged well at all.

Most modern games are almost infinitely better today, so I would suggest finding a better title.

If you want to struggle with a legacy game just for the sake of suffering, then go for it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, janzor88 said:

Game is exactly as DB described.

What is enjoyable by saving every 25 meters you move, or after killing each enemy the entire game?

Then get 1-shotted and waste time on loading and saving constantly again.

I'm not really sure I agree with that, but I will acknowledge where you are coming from. The choice to save scum is that of the player, not the game. If you don't like dying to every enemy, perhaps attempt to get better at the game, rather than abusing the save mechanic to beat it. 

3 minutes ago, TriadThunder-X said:

I'm not really sure I agree with that, but I will acknowledge where you are coming from. The choice to save scum is that of the player, not the game. If you don't like dying to every enemy, perhaps attempt to get better at the game, rather than abusing the save mechanic to beat it. 

Again, what is so enjoyable about this game?

It's not about "git gud" when you get 1-shotted the entire game and the loading time is over 90 seconds on the PS3.

You will be spending way too much time on loading screens instead of actually playing.

The problem is that there is no fluid gameplay.

The game is very clunky and cheap, and just hasn't aged well. 

6 minutes ago, janzor88 said:

Again, what is so enjoyable about this game?

It's not about "git gud" when you get 1-shotted the entire game and the loading time is over 90 seconds on the PS3.

You will be spending way too much time on loading screens instead of actually playing.

The problem is that there is no fluid gameplay.

The game is very clunky and cheap, and just hasn't aged well. 

I guess i better not mention the classic DOOM titles then. 

I dont get people on this site. They choose to play a game they willingly know was released originally on PC/Xbox, then complain that it's clunky and too hard to play without save scumming.

I enjoy this game, played it countless times, even the originals. Easier than the original, they even included auto sprint.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:10 PM, TriadThunder said:

I enjoyed the game on marine / veteran, even if it's in an odd place as a semi-realistic shooter lodged in between Doom 1 & 2 and the new Doom games, all of which are much more typical arcade shooters. I actually just got the platinum. It's not even that hard if you save scum, it's mostly just tedious. This is one of those games where the game is great on lower difficulties (even Veteran, which I played for my first base game playthrough), but harder difficulties really reveal all of the game's flaws.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:41 PM, TriadThunder said:

I think the problem with Doom 3 is it encourages save scumming much more than most games do. When every door and hallway could be hiding an enemy that's going to kill you instantly, it becomes a game of memorization / preparation more than skill. Even when I knew where enemies were going to be beforehand whether or not I could trigger the door in such a way that I didn't instantly die was a crapshoot. Surprise enemies are a good mechanic in horror, less so in an FPS where you die in one hit, I think. As is you basically have to choose between save scumming and losing 5-10 minutes of progress once every few doors.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:33 PM, janzor88 said:

If you want to struggle with a legacy game just for the sake of suffering, then go for it.

I somewhat disagree in that I enjoyed the base game, even on Veteran, but Nightmare really exposes the game's flaws. For me, at least, this is one of those games where the core gameplay is fun enough that I'm willing to suffer through some unfun gameplay for the sake of the platinum.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

i really enjoyed nightmare, it was brilliant, even the sound effect of your health ticking away adds to the tension, but it's pretty easy as the game has some of the best feeling aiming controls on any fps ever, and the soulcube absolutely demolishes the hardest enemy in the room, fully refills your health and you can smash down the enemies nice and fast and recharge your cube, heal and smash on. 

the only truely difficult parts of nightmare are the larger areas with the flaming skulls. always use plasma against flaming skulls, using plasma to fire at the chest area of revenants blow up their rockets as they fire them, dealing massive dmg and sometimes outright killing them. 

but the most useful bit of information, is every single melee attack from every enemy in game, including telekinetic attacks from mini bosses, can be compoletely dodged by simply ducking at the right time. 

the game lets you quicksave by pausing and pressing L1 so it's super quick if you really need to save during a fight or something but it's not that bad. also remapping L3 to L2 allows you to sprint without getting arthritis. 

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
  • Like 4