Don't miss out on this gem!

DavySuicide

1 hour ago, StingX2 said:

Really loved this on xbox game pass but yeah this trophy list makes it a hard sell to anyone that cares about platinums unfortunately.

yes, absolutely agreed. Question is why. It's not that the dev has to pay for a proper trophy list. Stuff like this shouldn't be a thing in 2021, but nonetheless the game is still a blast and I really hope some will try this out. 

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 1

How long do you think the 100% would take to get? Also, any missables? I feel okay playing non-platinum games as long as they're not like 25 hours. That's a weird part of this whole trophy thing for me, it has made me not want to play games that back in the day, I would play in a heartbeat. Positives and negatives to everything, I suppose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johamburgers said:

How long do you think the 100% would take to get? Also, any missables? I feel okay playing non-platinum games as long as they're not like 25 hours. That's a weird part of this whole trophy thing for me, it has made me not want to play games that back in the day, I would play in a heartbeat. Positives and negatives to everything, I suppose.

I would say roughly around the 8 hour mark. The only trophy that takes some time is to fill the to do list to 100%, most of the trophies will unlock along the way more or less. Can't say 100% for sure since Switch has no achievements but I did everything and I would say I played around 12 hours. But if you are aiming a bit more on trophies it can be done quicker. The game is really stunning you travel around the island and have to fulfill certain tasks ( mini games ) for islanders and so on. But these games are so neat and funny it's really a blast. It's one of my personal highest rated games on switch = ) 

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StingX2 said:

Really loved this on xbox game pass but yeah this trophy list makes it a hard sell to anyone that cares about platinums unfortunately.

1 hour ago, DavySuicide said:

yes, absolutely agreed. Question is why. It's not that the dev has to pay for a proper trophy list. Stuff like this shouldn't be a thing in 2021, but nonetheless the game is still a blast and I really hope some will try this out. 

It's really perplexing - honestly at this point it seems like devs that either don't really know about trophies or don't care. The game looks interesting, but if it is going to be $19.99 (which is $30 CDN after taxes), that's way too much for a non-plat game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, diskdocx said:

It's really perplexing - honestly at this point it seems like devs that either don't really know about trophies or don't care. The game looks interesting, but if it is going to be $19.99 (which is $30 CDN after taxes), that's way too much for a non-plat game.

Yes it's kinda weird, even if the devs don't care about trophies, whether you like it or not, from an economical point of view it's an additional buying argument for potential customers. It absolutely makes no sense. I bought the game for 14 € for switch last year and it was worth every penny but i do understand your point. Maybe you can wait for a sale and grab the game one day it really is a very beautiful game and trophy wise very easy. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DavySuicide said:

Yes it's kinda weird, even if the devs don't care about trophies, whether you like it or not, from an economical point of view it's an additional buying argument for potential customers. It absolutely makes no sense. I bought the game for 14 € for switch last year and it was worth every penny but i do understand your point. Maybe you can wait for a sale and grab the game one day it really is a very beautiful game and trophy wise very easy. 

It's definitely not a case that I won't buy non-plat games, almost a third of my profile is from games with no plat. But none of us have an unlimited budget or time, so when I see lists like this, it's kind of annoying. There are so many great indies that are similarly priced (or cheaper), that do have plats, it makes the decision to wait or pass much easier. 

• Like 2

I don't care if a list has a plat or not, I like to get 100% regardless. 

This list seems fine, but I do agree that adding a plat increases sales (just look at all these bullshit easy plat games every week) and it's odd at this point not to include one. 

I do kind of miss the era when retail games had 51 trophy platinums and psn games had the 1/4/7 100%'s. 

Anyway, if the game seems fun, I'll get it on sale some time

• Like 3

Really glad to see that so many people at least checked the game out and considering to give it a try maybe = )

It really has so much potential and unfortunately would probably fall through the grid due to the poor trophy design. 

Edited by DavySuicide

Wow, I was wanting to get this after loving the switch and do a platinum guide. But with such a poor list, there isn't much incentive to-do EXACTLY what I've already done on switch, shame as it is quite a gem, love the graphics style.

I'll just leave this here since I'm not doing anything trophy related. I did this back when it released on Switch, it's basically 100% in a few hours (basically all trophies) so it is a quick game if you want it to be, but guess just having a route is nice, and walk it at your own pace!

No commentary and I've got collectible guides on the channel, enjoy the game everyone ;)

Edited by Optinooby
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I forgot about this thread, but I'll just follow up too by saying, I did get the game, did play it...

...and really liked it!

This was my review at the time, incase anyone cares:

Leb7616.png

The Touryst

The Touryst, from Shin'en Multimedia, feels like a game with roots everywhere and nowhere at the same time. It's a game that is difficult to classify, not because it falls into no categories, but because it quite deliberately replicates aspects of so many - yet does so with a whimsical, playful touch, throwing them all together in a package that is silly, light, sweet, and - most of all - tons of fun.

If RPGs are apple pies, platformers are chocolate brownies, puzzle games are lemon merengue pies, dungeon crawlers are peach cobblers, metriodvanias are sponge cakes, rhythm games are fruit salads, and arcade games are candy bars... 
...The Touryst is the pack of Jelly Belly jelly-beans that has all those flavours in it.

There isn't much substance to the individual tastes - they are individually fleeting, but there is merit in the abundance and the variety within, and the recreations of the flavours are surprisingly accurate. There is an overall sweetness and consistency, and the pack is tremendously addictive - you just find yourself munching until it's all gone.

Playing as a Tourist (nay, Touryst!) arriving for a nice holiday on Touryst Island, you quickly discover an ancient monument, and within, and old tourist, named... Old Tourist. He mentions that he has been trying to decipher the meaning of some ancient symbols inside, and in short order, the player is tasked with the primary goal of the game - travelling to the various relics around the 7 different Islands that make up the Touryst Archipelago, solving the puzzles and defeating the 'bosses' within, to uncover the mystery of the ruins. 

Really though, while that aspect provides the through-line narrative, (and, for what it's worth, the final climax, which is as bat-shit silly and fun as anything in the game!), the real meat of the game is as a delightful romp through an RPG-lite-lite-lite, as you hop from one island to another, unlocking new locations, playing fun little mini-games, talking to other tourists (each of whom has some favour to ask,) playing old arcade games, finding treasure, deep sea diving, surfing, canoeing, organising raves, collecting coins, and generally having a goofy, fun time.

Each island is small, and differently themed - one based on Ibiza, one on Fiji, one on Hawaii etc. and each contains a handful of small missions, a plethora of discoverable secrets, and some puzzle-based, unique dungeon elements. These are actually, while fairly short, often quite clever, and can sometimes be tricky to figure out, though the game is good about keeping puzzles to a minimalist end - a room might seem baffling, but there are no red herrings. If a room has three carry-able block in it, you can bet the puzzle needs all three. If it has only one element that stands out - that is the key. Figuring it out might take a minute, but the game isn't trying to trick you - just challenge you a little!

What really makes The Touryst work, is that while if feels partly like a mini-game collection, given how many little one-off games there are to play (and helped by the inclusion of a racing game, and Arachnoid clone, and a platforming Arcade game in the island arcade,) the overall tone and the monument delving narrative, while only forming a portion of the gameplay, ties the whole game together with a loose, but defined structure. Elements of Metroidvania, via purchasable upgrades (dash / double jump etc.) and the ubiquity of money as currency for both unlocking new islands, and buying various mini-game required specifics, means there is a compulsive quality to the game - the player is always just one or two purchases away from unlocking the next thing to do.

The game looks absolutely stunningly good. The art-style is one very familiar to anyone who played FROM Softwares under-appreciated gem 3D Dot Game Heroes (and if you haven't, what are you doing reading this?! Go play it! It's great!). A 3D take on 2D pixel-art, in which 3D, blocks replace old-school pixels and the entire world looks like lego. However, 3D Dot Game Heroes was a PS3 game - the Touryst is on PS5, and the step up in that art is really incredible. Lighting is gorgeous, the worlds look Pixar-level good, and everything moves with a buttery-smoothness that would make Call of Duty blush. 

Audio is good - the general soundscape is ambient and amiable, and the character sounds - jumping, dashing etc have a Mario / Zelda quality to them that keeps the tone light and fun.

Overall, The Touryst is a hell of a good little game - it's slight, of course - deliberately so - however, lightness and slightness should not be mistaken for insubstantiality. There is an attention to detail in the environments, and in the puzzle design that, while simple, is really laudable - and crafting a game that would work exactly as well for a 10-year-old as it did for my nearly-40-year-old-ass cannot be easy, and should be admired. There is charm coming out of every 3D-Pixellated pore, and the game succeeds completely at doing what it intends - making me feel like I was on a little gaming vacation!

(Originally posted HERE)

• Like 2

On 3.8.2023 at 2:29 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

I forgot about this thread, but I'll just follow up too by saying, I did get the game, did play it...

...and really liked it!

This was my review at the time, incase anyone cares:

Leb7616.png

The Touryst

The Touryst, from Shin'en Multimedia, feels like a game with roots everywhere and nowhere at the same time. It's a game that is difficult to classify, not because it falls into no categories, but because it quite deliberately replicates aspects of so many - yet does so with a whimsical, playful touch, throwing them all together in a package that is silly, light, sweet, and - most of all - tons of fun.

If RPGs are apple pies, platformers are chocolate brownies, puzzle games are lemon merengue pies, dungeon crawlers are peach cobblers, metriodvanias are sponge cakes, rhythm games are fruit salads, and arcade games are candy bars... 
...The Touryst is the pack of Jelly Belly jelly-beans that has all those flavours in it.

There isn't much substance to the individual tastes - they are individually fleeting, but there is merit in the abundance and the variety within, and the recreations of the flavours are surprisingly accurate. There is an overall sweetness and consistency, and the pack is tremendously addictive - you just find yourself munching until it's all gone.

Playing as a Tourist (nay, Touryst!) arriving for a nice holiday on Touryst Island, you quickly discover an ancient monument, and within, and old tourist, named... Old Tourist. He mentions that he has been trying to decipher the meaning of some ancient symbols inside, and in short order, the player is tasked with the primary goal of the game - travelling to the various relics around the 7 different Islands that make up the Touryst Archipelago, solving the puzzles and defeating the 'bosses' within, to uncover the mystery of the ruins. 

Really though, while that aspect provides the through-line narrative, (and, for what it's worth, the final climax, which is as bat-shit silly and fun as anything in the game!), the real meat of the game is as a delightful romp through an RPG-lite-lite-lite, as you hop from one island to another, unlocking new locations, playing fun little mini-games, talking to other tourists (each of whom has some favour to ask,) playing old arcade games, finding treasure, deep sea diving, surfing, canoeing, organising raves, collecting coins, and generally having a goofy, fun time.

Each island is small, and differently themed - one based on Ibiza, one on Fiji, one on Hawaii etc. and each contains a handful of small missions, a plethora of discoverable secrets, and some puzzle-based, unique dungeon elements. These are actually, while fairly short, often quite clever, and can sometimes be tricky to figure out, though the game is good about keeping puzzles to a minimalist end - a room might seem baffling, but there are no red herrings. If a room has three carry-able block in it, you can bet the puzzle needs all three. If it has only one element that stands out - that is the key. Figuring it out might take a minute, but the game isn't trying to trick you - just challenge you a little!

What really makes The Touryst work, is that while if feels partly like a mini-game collection, given how many little one-off games there are to play (and helped by the inclusion of a racing game, and Arachnoid clone, and a platforming Arcade game in the island arcade,) the overall tone and the monument delving narrative, while only forming a portion of the gameplay, ties the whole game together with a loose, but defined structure. Elements of Metroidvania, via purchasable upgrades (dash / double jump etc.) and the ubiquity of money as currency for both unlocking new islands, and buying various mini-game required specifics, means there is a compulsive quality to the game - the player is always just one or two purchases away from unlocking the next thing to do.

The game looks absolutely stunningly good. The art-style is one very familiar to anyone who played FROM Softwares under-appreciated gem 3D Dot Game Heroes (and if you haven't, what are you doing reading this?! Go play it! It's great!). A 3D take on 2D pixel-art, in which 3D, blocks replace old-school pixels and the entire world looks like lego. However, 3D Dot Game Heroes was a PS3 game - the Touryst is on PS5, and the step up in that art is really incredible. Lighting is gorgeous, the worlds look Pixar-level good, and everything moves with a buttery-smoothness that would make Call of Duty blush. 

Audio is good - the general soundscape is ambient and amiable, and the character sounds - jumping, dashing etc have a Mario / Zelda quality to them that keeps the tone light and fun.

Overall, The Touryst is a hell of a good little game - it's slight, of course - deliberately so - however, lightness and slightness should not be mistaken for insubstantiality. There is an attention to detail in the environments, and in the puzzle design that, while simple, is really laudable - and crafting a game that would work exactly as well for a 10-year-old as it did for my nearly-40-year-old-ass cannot be easy, and should be admired. There is charm coming out of every 3D-Pixellated pore, and the game succeeds completely at doing what it intends - making me feel like I was on a little gaming vacation!

(Originally posted HERE)

really glad you liked it also i am happy to see that quite a few around here gave it a try :-) 

• Like 1