Ps2 slim, will read some discs issue

UlvenFenrir

So ive read this is a common issue with the ps2 slims. All of my ps2 games are in mint condition, no scratches or anything like that and no fingerprints. I bought a used ps2 slim yet again and same problem. It will read some discs but alot of them it just wont. This appears to be an issue with the laser or if the disc is dual layered or not, meaning it will have a hard time to read certain data depending on the disc. Can this really be the issue?

I feel like no matter how many ps2 slims i can get my hands on, it just wont read most of my games at all. Is the issue really that common or is it something else? It also makes a clicking noise trying to read the discs.

Any help or anyone with a ps2 slim who experience the same thing or did and somehow fixed it?

2 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

So ive read this is a common issue with the ps2 slims. All of my ps2 games are in mint condition, no scratches or anything like that and no fingerprints. I bought a used ps2 slim yet again and same problem. It will read some discs but alot of them it just wont. This appears to be an issue with the laser or if the disc is dual layered or not, meaning it will have a hard time to read certain data depending on the disc. Can this really be the issue?

I feel like no matter how many ps2 slims i can get my hands on, it just wont read most of my games at all. Is the issue really that common or is it something else? It also makes a clicking noise trying to read the discs.

Any help or anyone with a ps2 slim who experience the same thing or did and somehow fixed it?

Needs a new laser. Also depending on the slim model you have, the glue that holds the laser assembly down will eventually fail, causing the ribbon cable to rise higher than it should, which will leave a circular scratch on discs

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Needs a new laser. Also depending on the slim model you have, the glue that holds the laser assembly down will eventually fail, causing the ribbon cable to rise higher than it should, which will leave a circular scratch on discs

Dang it. Well i have no experience with that so im hoping i can find someone who can fix it for me. I also ordered a fat ps2 so hopefully that will work.

38 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

This^

The laser is knackered so will need replacing. The PS2 Slim is inferior in many regards when compared to the previous model and there are at least 3 games that won't work at all, because of the hardware differences so get a Fat Model instead.

6 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

This^

The laser is knackered so will need replacing. The PS2 Slim is inferior in many regards when compared to the previous model and there are at least 3 games that won't work at all, because of the hardware differences so get a Fat Model instead.

Thanks will do! :D