Do people give a crap what their community reputation score is?

PalaceOfLove706

In conjunction with many other scores, it’s a stat this site tracks.

I never really gave it much thought, and I’ve never seen anyone bring it up in the threads.

So, do you give a crap? Is it a notch on the belt? Does a high score equate to some kind of status on here? Do you trust or respect people’s opinions more who put work into the forum and accumulate points?

What about dishing out upvotes? Do you feel people really have to earn your tick? 

Or is it all just useless, existential numbers in a sea of meaningless ranks?

Apologies for the leading questions!

• Like 1

Everyone who posts a status update when they reach a rep point ‘milestone’ obviously does. I don’t particularly care about my count and the amount you have is kinda pointless anyway as you can easily whore earn more by posting every plat you earn in the Most Recent Plat thread even if it’s yet another 30 second game you’ve platted.

• Like 2

I’ve definitely never thought “this person has higher rep so their opinion means more”.

But I do like the people here and love the community and rep helps show how long they’ve been here. If someone makes a “check out my youtube channel” type post, I’m much more likely to check it out if they have higher rep since I’m more likely to support a member of our community. If someone with 2 rep is promoting their channel, I’m just not gonna go to it. So I guess I do use rep as a metric sometimes.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, funboy1246 said:

you serious? of course. on the streets rep is everything

This lol

27 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Rep points are like smiles.

It’s nice to give one, it’s nice to receive one…

…but I’m not particularly interesting in the total number of times I’ve been smiled at across my whole life…

On the other hand though - the rep count on specific posts is of value to me.

While I don’t give more credence to people with high rep counts, I do take more seriously a post that does.

This does sum it up for me as well, and I think for many. It doesn't matter much, but it can show this person is reliable or fun or a part of the community that people love, and there's usually a good reason. But not always. 

• Like 3

Hmm, they seem a bit pointless to be honest and not really an indication of anything. A bit like trophies really lol

If you have a ton of friends on the site, chances are you might be high fiving each other everyday and giving each other tons of rep in your bubble.

You longer you are on the site, the higher your rep will be, but that doesn't mean you have a higher rep than anyone else, just means your number is higher due to time.

Also, if you just spend all your time in the profile comments instead of topics. Profile comments do not count as " posts ".

So if you look at the ratio, "Oh wow that dude made 10 posts but has a rep or 1000!"

That's like 100 upvotes per post on average.

That's not how it works though.

I always upvote amusing posts, or when someone makes a good point. Could be anyone though.

I don't know how mine is so high, but thanks everyone, I guess at least some people seem to enjoy my ramblings. :)

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

Well, to answer the question in the title: Yes there are people who care about their rep count. There are even certain individuals who upvote all of their posts with their alt accounts lol.

I always give rep points to posts I agree with or if they make me chuckle. And yes, I think it's nice to have some reputation points on my own posts, but tbh it doesn't make much of a difference anyways. 

Edited by Sardavanua
typo
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ilzaki said:

Since we only get 25 a day and we can't save them, I give them out all the time.  Especially in the latest platinum and trophy topics.

I thought it was only 10, do Premium Members get more?

• Like 1

Doesn't really mean much to me and I actually don't often give it out either because I just forget it's a thing.  To me it seems more an indicator of activity.  People who are active on the forums and not breaking the rules have higher rep and those who are new or not very active won't.  But where your activity is also can determine it since people often are more generous in giving it for stuff like updates in events.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 1

Some people simply care to much about rep and do whatever they can to get it like creating a new thread as soon as a game trailer drops and they do this for every single new game trailer that gets released  and  some people camp the "like" threads like "Most Recent Platinum" and wait until 25 have posted on a page so that their post will be top on the new page and get as many like as possible. There are people who seem to think that getting 1k likes will get them 1 bitcoin or something. Sad thing for them is no one really cares at the end of the day.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ilzaki said:

I think that's one of the perks.

Cheers for the confirmation. I wasn't aware that was thing.

Still, that certainly does mean Premium Members have more authority around here to choose who rises to the top. So to speak.

32 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Some people simply care to much about rep and do whatever they can to get it like creating a new thread as soon as a game trailer drops and they do this for every single new game trailer that gets released  and  some people camp the "like" threads like "Most Recent Platinum" and wait until 25 have posted on a page so that their post will be top on the new page and get as many like as possible. There are people who seem to think that getting 1k likes will get them 1 bitcoin or something. Sad thing for them is no one really cares at the end of the day.

Yeah, it's like that everywhere though, tips and tricks for getting more likes, on youtube you try to be the first person to get a post on a new video, sometimes with a pre written comment already prepared so you can copy and paste it in. Go to any youtube video and praise what's in the current video and the likes will roll in.

Then there are people who stalk wait on people's twitter handles of whom they hate (usually Politicians) and then the second a new tweet appears, just spam the tweet with your prepared post/picture and then let the likes and quote tweets roll in.

None of it has any real merit unfortunately.

• Like 2

Over the course of a decade I've achieved over a million rep points on reddit, so I can say it's not worth much. However, users in general tend to give you more credibility if you have a huge amount of rep, as if your speech or argument is more valuable. I prefer the PST format where rep points become hidden. I believe some people take this too seriously, including downplaying and offending users who have few posts to their name or rep points, and this behavior is disheartening. Yes, it's nice to know that other people agree and support you, but if the rep points were hidden maybe this interaction would be more genuine imo. Another pov is that rep points are a way to stimulate and move the forums, as a percentage of users will interact only based on that, this is the key structure of the functioning of a social network. This forum is very social - in the sense of engaging and remaining a friendly community, such as followers and status updates functions on a personal page - while there are many forums where the core is a rougher discussion (no "reward" or honor, or ego; just a discussion ultimately based in the understanding about something) and thus there is no space for the formation of a circlejerk. It is necessary to understand the proposal of each network, and in the case of psnp the proposal is a kind of social network for this niche of players, where functions and social stimuli are essential for the self maintenance of the community as it was designed to be.

2 hours ago, kevao97 said:

Over the course of a decade I've achieved over a million rep points on reddit, so I can say it's not worth much. 

That made me remember that not long ago I was about to ask a question on a Reddit support forum, but I couldn’t because I didn’t have 250 karma or whatever it’s called.  I’m not active on Reddit and only have about 80ish. 
That’s the most ridiculous thing I have ever encountered on a forum. At least here you are free to post even if you have no likes of prior posts on the forum.

2 hours ago, kevao97 said:

This forum is very social - in the sense of engaging and remaining a friendly community

Yeah the PSNP forum is pretty great. There are almost no d-bags here at all. Been a member for almost 6 years now and I think I can count them all on one hand. Worst thing you see here is people who can’t accept that other people have different opinions but that’s about it. 

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Quink666 said:

That made me remember that not long ago I was about to ask a question on a Reddit support forum, but I couldn’t because I didn’t have 250 karma or whatever it’s called.  I’m not active on Reddit and only have about 80ish. 
That’s the most ridiculous thing I have ever encountered on a forum. At least here you are free to post even if you have no likes of prior posts on the forum.

i understand your pain, reddit is highly restricted. they have a number of mechanisms to prevent spam. some forums require a huge score to post, as well as awards and recognitions on the site. however, resetera is the most difficult forum of all to participate, it requires a professional email address and prior authorization.

4 hours ago, Quink666 said:

Yeah the PSNP forum is pretty great. There are almost no d-bags here at all. Been a member for almost 6 years now and I think I can count them all on one hand. Worst thing you see here is people who can’t accept that other people have different opinions but that’s about it. 

yes, overall psnp is a very accessible and friendly platform, and i would say that our community is actually quite small. there are a total of 400,000 entries on the site - which automatically create a forum account - and more than half of that don't visit the forums. daily, I see between 200-500 members online, and twice as many guests lurkers. these are modest numbers, it's not difficult to participate here, and the fact that it's a small community gives visibility to some persistent users - that is, who post thousands of times.

What DrBloodMoney said above.

For the most part, I normally save my likes for the 'post your newest platinum' thread and particular posts here or there. I don't really think to hard about the cumulative number. I generally assume most people with 1500+ street cred have been around and active long enough that the odd likes piled up.

• Like 1