Death Stranding PS4 Online save for PS5 version

sean19996

I’m about to preorder the directors cut of death stranding for the ps5 and was wondering if the save file is saved online in the game or on the hard disk. I played the original on a ps4 pro and forgot to upload the save file to cloud storage and have since sold that console without transferring any of the save files over to my ps5. I have tried the game on a separate ps4 and it somehow loaded my previous save file from my old ps4 pro. Will this transfer over to the directors cut version without a save file in my storage?

I seriously doubt there will be cross-save with the PS5 version because it's essentially a whole new game with a ton of exclusive content. If you managed to load an old save, it's because you got lucky and one auto-uploaded to the PS Plus Cloud before you sold your old console, plus I believe a small amount of info is saved server side for the online features.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

The german Playstation.Blog says that cross-save is supported: Link :

Quote:

Bevor wir auf die PS5-Funktionen eingehen, möchten wir den vielen Boten, die entweder gerade ihre erste Lieferung gemacht haben oder gerade dabei sind, eine Menge Strukturen zu bauen, um anderen Boten zu helfen – Vereine die Getrennten! –, bestätigen, dass die Speicherdaten von PlayStation 4-Konsolen übertragbar sein werden. Wir wollten sicherstellen, dass Spieler, egal wo sie sich auf ihrer Reise befinden, nach dem Spielen der PS4™-Version relativ in dem gleichen Gebiet wieder anknüpfen können, in dem sie aufgehört haben. Gleichzeitig wollten wir Nutzern, die das Spiel bereits abgeschlossen haben, die Möglichkeit geben, in die Gebiete zu springen, in denen neue Inhalte und Ausrüstung entdeckt werden können.

Quick and dirty translation:

Before we discuss the PS5 functions we would like to confirm to all porters that might have either only done their first delivery or that are right now building a lot of structures to support other porters - unite what is apart!  - that save files will be transferable from PlayStation 4. We want to ensure that players can continue their journey seamlessly from more or less the same territory after  playing the PS4 version. At the same time we would like to give the users that already completed the game the opportunity to jump directly into those areas where they can explore new content and equiptment.

As for the original question, I am not sure right now where the data is saved by default. But it sounds like you have it in the cloud , which should be a preferred way to transfer save files anyway.

Edited by Captain_Bone_666
missing word
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 5:40 AM, Captain_Bone_666 said:

The german Playstation.Blog says that cross-save is supported: Link :

Quote:

Bevor wir auf die PS5-Funktionen eingehen, möchten wir den vielen Boten, die entweder gerade ihre erste Lieferung gemacht haben oder gerade dabei sind, eine Menge Strukturen zu bauen, um anderen Boten zu helfen – Vereine die Getrennten! –, bestätigen, dass die Speicherdaten von PlayStation 4-Konsolen übertragbar sein werden. Wir wollten sicherstellen, dass Spieler, egal wo sie sich auf ihrer Reise befinden, nach dem Spielen der PS42122.png-Version relativ in dem gleichen Gebiet wieder anknüpfen können, in dem sie aufgehört haben. Gleichzeitig wollten wir Nutzern, die das Spiel bereits abgeschlossen haben, die Möglichkeit geben, in die Gebiete zu springen, in denen neue Inhalte und Ausrüstung entdeckt werden können.

Quick and dirty translation:

Before we discuss the PS5 functions we would like to confirm to all porters that might have either only done their first delivery or that are right now building a lot of structures to support other porters - unite what is apart!  - that save files will be transferable from PlayStation 4. We want to ensure that players can continue their journey seamlessly from more or less the same territory after  playing the PS4 version. At the same time we would like to give the users that already completed the game the opportunity to jump directly into those areas where they can explore new content and equiptment.

As for the original question, I am not sure right now where the data is saved by default. But it sounds like you have it in the cloud , which should be a preferred way to transfer save files anyway.

You have to load up the PS4 version and export your save to their server, then import it in the PS5 version.  So it works like Spider-Man or Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Edited by Snake2410
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, zizimonster said:

Excuse me for asking an out-of-topic question.

Which edition of Death Stranding that grants both PS5 and PS4 versions?

AB, or C

AFAIK, you have to buy it on the PS4 to get both versions as I don't believe the cross-buy works in reverse for this game but I could be wrong about that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

AFAIK, you have to buy it on the PS4 to get both versions as I don't believe the cross-buy works in reverse for this game but I could be wrong about that.

Thank you. So, in other words, there is another version when accessing the PS Store on PS4? :hmm:

5 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

Thank you. So, in other words, there is another version when accessing the PS Store on PS4? :hmm:

Now I think about it, there is no cross-buy, full stop since the Director's Cut is treated as a separate game so you have to buy the game twice but you can import your save from the PS4 to the PS5, though not the other way round. EDIT: See here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-21-you-can-upgrade-death-stranding-ps4-to-its-ps5-directors-cut-for-gbp5

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

Now I think about it, there is no cross-buy, full stop since the Director's Cut is treated as a separate game so you have to buy the game twice but you can import your save from the PS4 to the PS5, though not the other way round. EDIT: See here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-21-you-can-upgrade-death-stranding-ps4-to-its-ps5-directors-cut-for-gbp5

I'm okay if it doesn't feature cross-buy. There are two PS5 versions and one PS4 version on the PS webstore.

The "problem" is, the PS4 version is very rarely on sale. So, now I'm stuck with PS4 Deluxe Edition if I want the PS4 version, right? ?

6 hours ago, zizimonster said:

I'm okay if it doesn't feature cross-buy. There are two PS5 versions and one PS4 version on the PS webstore.

The "problem" is, the PS4 version is very rarely on sale. So, now I'm stuck with PS4 Deluxe Edition if I want the PS4 version, right? 1f605.png

That or buy a cheap retail copy off Ebay. I did that and it only cost me approx £15 :).

• Like 1