HDD failing have an effect on trophies?

Willreaper41

So I've been having issues with my PS4 for some time now and did a similar post a couple months ago and thought I had it fixed but various issues and variations on the original issues keep coming up now. The main issue that is frustrating me to no end is I seem to be having a lot of trouble with trophies bugging out and not popping correctly for me now (I've made more post about bugged trophies than I like lately). What I'm trying to figure out is can a failing HDD have an effect on trophies not working? Like I had a lot of trouble with a few trophies in Afterparty and Freedom Finger not working and more recently trophies in Hunters Arena and Tales of Berseria not working at all and as far as I can tell there is no known bugs for any of them.

The issue may also be a corrupt user profile I guess but I think I ruled that out since I've done everything except buy a new HDD... cuz I'm broke. I have to get this figured out for good now if I need to buy and figure out how to replace the HDD on an original ps4 because the trophy thing is pissing me off and season 6 of Fallout 76 starts soon (which I'll already miss like a solid week due to being gone for work.)

In terms of trophies popping? Yeah a bad HDD could be the cause. Games nowadays are stored on the HDD and trophies popping are based on flagged trigger points...while the trophies you earn are saved server side based on your profile, if a problematic HDD is involved it can cause those points in game to not trigger as it's likely not reading the game correctly. The thing is though, you would probably know this because the games themselves wouldn't play right either...the faulty HDD would make it so your play sessions are pretty annoying. 

In other words, if you're playing games just fine, but trophies are your only issue it may not be an HDD problem. 

8 hours ago, Viper said:

In terms of trophies popping? Yeah a bad HDD could be the cause. Games nowadays are stored on the HDD and trophies popping are based on flagged trigger points...while the trophies you earn are saved server side based on your profile, if a problematic HDD is involved it can cause those points in game to not trigger as it's likely not reading the game correctly. The thing is though, you would probably know this because the games themselves wouldn't play right either...the faulty HDD would make it so your play sessions are pretty annoying. 

In other words, if you're playing games just fine, but trophies are your only issue it may not be an HDD problem. 

Yea thanks, I spent like 2 hours with chat support and ended up just using an option 7 and then started one of the games from scratch and doing both seemed to work. Still doesn't work for games where I already missed the trophies on saves I redownloaded though. So I think it will just require restarting everything that was having issues as far as the trophy thing goes. Hopefully all the crashing and uninstalls stop as well.