BEWARE: Save Files Can Corrupt Easily!

Blueblur86

10 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Both of you need to realize that games were a LOT smaller back then. I remember when Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots first came out, people said they ran great and seemingly without any notable patches. Perhaps one or two at most.

I can't say I really miss the early - mid 1990s in terms of games because there were a TON of stinkers, but I definitely miss the early - late 2000s. Games were far more original and weren't just a copy of something else. Game developers spent more time honing their craft and putting their blood sweat & tears into creating their projects. It's not just console games. PC games have also fallen victim to being broke on release. Plenty of stuff is released on Steam that is absolutely horrendous. Nobody gives a shit about hiring competent game testers anymore.

I don't understand why something like Mafia II: Definitive Edition could be released in such a buggy state. It's over 10 years old, and you would think okay, on newer, more powerful hardware I should be able to enjoy the game in higher resolution and higher FPS. But unfortunately that's not how it turned out, there were issues regarding sound and one notable trophy that was glitched until 2K Games was finally made aware of it.

Ubisoft is no stranger to shit ports either. I bought Assassin's Creed Odyssey: Ultimate Edition last year at a discount and I got Assassin's Creed III/Liberation as part of that deal. I expected something notably better than their PS3 counterparts, but all I got was better resolution. They're a company that just does things by the numbers and put minimal effort whenever possible because that saves them money.

There's no real point in preordering anymore. I used to preorder stuff back in 2005 - 2009 because games were more "complete", so to speak. We now have to deal with games that can go thru a multitude of changes to where they don't even remotely resemble the games they were on release, because of patches. No Man's Sky is a perfect example. A lot of promised content wasn't in the initial game, and it took Sean Murray and his team years to finally come out with enough patches to make the game feel more "complete". But who wants to sit around and wait years for a game to get more content? That content should of been out already when the game first hit the shelves.

It's fucking insane. That's why most of the games I play are anywhere from two to ten years old, because I already know these older titles are more "complete" because of the bug fixes and patch files that make them more playable.

Sonic the Hedgehog however is a franchise with a long and storied history of shitty games and horrendous criticism. Anybody here remember Sonic the Hedgehog 2006? It's still regarded as the worst game in the franchise, that game was outright broken and near unplayable from all the awful glitches it had.

Smaller in terms of size? In which case, there's plenty of games nowadays that are 20GB or smaller that are still rampant with issues. Metal Gear Solid 4 was about 20GB, it just didn't install the whole thing (if memory serves), as was the case with many PS3 games back then. Not sure what else you might mean by "smaller", unless you mean length, but I don't think games were much shorter back in the past (some were, especially really far back, like on the NES), and I don't think length would really affect quality. There's been a lot of fairly short games released in recent years that are pretty buggy.

Sonic games have notoriously been kinda shit though, as you said (and I say this as a lifelong Sonic fan). I was replaying Sonic Adventure 2 for the 100th time last month, this time on my PS3, and it decided to freeze on me after completing one of the Knuckles stages. Don't remember it ever freezing on the Dreamcast, Gamecube or 360 version. I've had other weird glitches and issues with some other Sonic games as well, some as old as the Mega Drive.

It's just a shame seeing so many old games getting ports/remasters, and they seem to have major issues for whatever reason, which weren't present in the original releases. Not surprised Sonic Colours is another victim of this, but it's still disappointing to see nonetheless. Hope the issues get fixed soon.

15 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Smaller in terms of size? In which case, there's plenty of games nowadays that are 20GB or smaller that are still rampant with issues. Metal Gear Solid 4 was about 20GB, it just didn't install the whole thing (if memory serves), as was the case with many PS3 games back then. Not sure what else you might mean by "smaller", unless you mean length, but I don't think games were much shorter back in the past (some were, especially really far back, like on the NES), and I don't think length would really affect quality. There's been a lot of fairly short games released in recent years that are pretty buggy.

Sonic games have notoriously been kinda shit though, as you said (and I say this as a lifelong Sonic fan). I was replaying Sonic Adventure 2 for the 100th time last month, this time on my PS3, and it decided to freeze on me after completing one of the Knuckles stages. Don't remember it ever freezing on the Dreamcast, Gamecube or 360 version. I've had other weird glitches and issues with some other Sonic games as well, some as old as the Mega Drive.

It's just a shame seeing so many old games getting ports/remasters, and they seem to have major issues for whatever reason, which weren't present in the original releases. Not surprised Sonic Colours is another victim of this, but it's still disappointing to see nonetheless. Hope the issues get fixed soon.

PS5 games today are far bigger than what Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is. That game was notable for having the longest cutscene in a video game, and you actually have to watch them for a trophy. Definitely looking forward to playing it.

I still remember when God of War 3 first released and people were absolutely awe struck by how massive it was in terms of file size. We have long since broken the 50 GB barrier, and I believe Red Dead Redemption 2 actually has TWO blu-ray discs because of its sheer size.

Sonic the Hedgehog was never the same after Sega dropped out of the console race 20 years ago. He's had some bright spots, I didn't think Sonic & the Secret Rings was all that bad, I enjoyed playing it on the Nintendo Wii.

Nintendo isn't excluded out of having bad ports and releases. Then again, the standards were different back in 2005 - 2010. Since everybody is basically online integrated onto the internet, I think the game developers are making excuses to have us, the players, actually game test their games so they can release patches to make them more playable.

It's simple. They don't want to spend money on playtesters. Hiring playtesters costs time and money. Why spend that money when you can just let the players test the game for you?

Between that and the fucking lootboxes/microtransactions, there's a reason why I mostly stick to old games and smaller indie projects made by a team who has a passion for gaming.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a new patch on all platforms, including PS4. The 2.6 update. It brings:

• Improved stability on all platforms
  • Updates to the save-game system
  • Audio mix improvements
  • End credits music fix
  • Update to "Giving Credit Where Credit's Due" description for the trophy
  • Various bug fixes

Gonna try playing it again soon... it was disheartening losing multiple hours of play.

Source: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nightowljrm said:

There's a new patch on all platforms, including PS4. The 2.6 update. It brings:

• Improved stability on all platforms
  • Updates to the save-game system
  • Audio mix improvements
  • End credits music fix
  • Update to "Giving Credit Where Credit's Due" description for the trophy
  • Various bug fixes

Gonna try playing it again soon... it was disheartening losing multiple hours of play.

Source: 

After you play can you please give me feed back? I have it in my backlog but because of the crashing corrupting issue I haven't started it yet but I really want to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally got around to playing this game after putting it off due to all the reported issues when it was released. I just finished with a full playthrough last night and didn't run into any glitches or crashes. Hopefully my experience isn't an outlier and the latest patch has indeed fixed everything.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/9/2022 at 1:06 PM, Spiroff23 said:

Hey all! Just curious how the game is performing now? Should it be fairly safe and good to jump in now?

Might be a bit late for this comment to inform your decision but I just got the platinum last night and ran into very few issues, the game only crashed twice on me. The first time was right as I beat the boss for Asteroid Coaster, which wasn't really that big of a deal considering it's only a 2-minute fight for an S-rank, and once about 20 minutes into the lengthy end credits mini game which was particularly annoying because the game made me beat the final boss again and get another S-rank in it which took some time. I would recommend just skipping that final credits game as soon as you have a chance so you're not booted back an hour's worth of progress. Other than those two crashes I didn't personally have any issues at all with the game, it ran at a stable framerate and my save file was never corrupted. The game is really fun on top of that too!

• Like 1