To All Completionists: Your 100% Rate is Always At Stake

SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki

I’ve recently found out that games have gotten new trophies long after their last trophy additions, sometimes being added 5-6 years after the fact. 

With that being said, nothing is stopping developers from adding new trophies to a game 10 years down the line, that are broken/unobtainable from the very start. Say you reach 100% completion and “retire” from gaming. 10-20 years later, that 100% completion could be reduced to 98% from a new trophy being added, and if those trophies are broken, you’re stuck with 98%. 

Zero Lab Games had made Indivisible and Skull Girls, alongside adding DLC trophies for both. 
- Indivisble got DLC trophies, with 3 being unobtainable from launch. 
- Skull Girls got DLC trophies, 6 years after launch which are indeed obtainable. 

Both of these scenarios would be unremarkable if it wasn’t for the fact that Zero Lab Games shut down. So they can’t fix Indivisible’s DLC trophies, and if Skull Girls got broken trophies 6 years after base game, you could imagine what that would do to completionists who had 100% for a long time up until that time. 

To anyone that wants to maintain their 100%, just be aware that, that 100% could be taken away from you at any moment, even if you were to stop gaming now. 

EDIT: Apparently Borderlands 2 JP list got a DLC pack 8 years after the last trophy addition. That DLC pack is also buggy/unobtainable, so all the trophies on that list are unobtainable. Can you imagine getting screwed by a game you finished almost a decade ago. 

Edited by SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki said:

EDIT: Apparently Borderlands 2 JP list got a DLC pack 8 years after the last trophy addition. That DLC pack is also buggy/unobtainable, so all the trophies on that list are unobtainable. Can you imagine getting screwed by a game you finished almost a decade ago. 

It was Borderlands 1 JP, not Borderlands 2, and it wasn't the fact that the DLC pack was buggy, it was the fact that Japan never got that DLC released there at all. The trophies were never supposed to be added to the list, but Gearbox messed something up when patching in the save import feature for the Remastered version of BL1 on PS4 and they appeared.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 2

This is just what one should expect if your inspiring to be a 100% trophy hunter.

If you actually get upset about this(sadly there are ppl on here who have) then all I gotta say is, well what the hell are you even trophy hunting for again?

Of course their are those ppl who will do anything to keep that number at 3 digits, but those ppl are probably quite miserable.

You can’t avoid playing hard games and putting self imposed rules on yourself for ever and expect your brain to just be ok.

Along time ago I said to myself that I just wanted to play the hardest games and never back down from a challenge.

If I make it to 200 plats with 100% then that’s quite the feat. If I don’t well at least I did my best, that’s how everyone’s outlook should be IMO.

Or you could play games like destiny 2, red dead redemption 2 and fallout 76 that bore the living shit out of you until about 30 minutes into the session you're yawning uncontrollably only to then wake up 4 hours later with the controller laying on the floor beside you and the smart tv and playstation turned off do to power save settings.  That shit can ruin your chance at a 100% account too.  I refuse to make myself miserable to have 100%.  Dlc coming out a year or two after a game releases is bad enough.  If it comes out 5 to 10 years later i better love the game or it isn't getting done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Being a completionist isn’t about having or maintaining 100%, it’s about striving for as close to it as possible, within reason.

Well it’s the difference between being a profile-completionist and generally being a completionist when it comes to the games in isolation.

Being a profile completionist seems a pretty stupid endeavour. I tend to hit 100% with my profile every two weeks or so but only because I’m primarily a Nintendo/retro console gamer and my taste in Playstation games doesn’t really have me playing a lot of western developed games or any indie games whatsoever.

Here's something way more disturbing to think about

To All LeaderBoard Dudes: Your Rank is Always At Stake!

The guy below you probably popped a Platinum trophy after overtook you while you read this message

In all seriousness though, your 100% list certainly might drop to 99% from a random DLC being made

You have to feel sorry for the leaderboard guys though, dropping down the leaderboards is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT guaranteed, and at all times.

It's no wonder so many trophy addicts are playing shit games, I mean what are you gonna do? Do nothing and let your "rivals" overtake you?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

As @AJ_Radio says, slipping from 100% to 99% because you don’t want to return to game you didn’t enjoy doesn’t make you not a completionist - it just makes you not an obsessive.

But it can be argued that if u aren’t obsessive u wouldn’t be a completionist in the first place 

6 hours ago, PrinceOfPeace said:

I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of dying and my profile not being at 100% forever. Imagine dying with incomplete games on your profile, or games that get dlc added, talk about embarrassment. 1f622.png

Lmao ur so silly ? 

5 hours ago, HYPERS said:

you can hide the game. I have never seen any stigma against hiding unobtainable trophies, and I will probably do so someday.

but the big blue H on your profile does carry a stigma. How are ppl gonna know ur games are hidden because they’re unobtainable and not because you’re a cheater?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HondaHoe said:

But it can be argued that if u aren’t obsessive u wouldn’t be a completionist in the first place 

Not a totally unreasonable point - but personally I would say that for a person to be a 'completionist' really, they just need to be doing more to specifically try to finish their lists than the average person would do, if that makes sense?

Basically, your average gamer, just playing a broad cross section of  games to 'story completion' and moving on, would most likely have a percentage at or below the 50-60% range (That's my guess, but it's a fairly educated one at this point, I think.)

Given that, to my mind, a completionist would be anyone with a percentage significantly higher than that - so anything in the 75%+ range. I mean, realistically, no one is going to have a completion percentage higher than that, unless they are specifically concentrating on achieving 'completion' in some capacity.... so, personally, I'd call them a 'completionist.'

Edited by DrBloodmoney