To All Completionists: Your 100% Rate is Always At Stake

SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki

I agree that %100 completion is luck of the draw...because of this, I disagree that only %100 profiles = completionist...anyone who played a game with unobtainable trophies and earned all that was available also = completionist to me since technically that's all there is/was to complete...I disagree that having over %90 (or other % less than 100) of obtainable trophies = completist...it's not an opinion thing, it's more an english language definition thing...I do agree that people can call themselves whatever they want though...perhaps "high-rate completist" would be a better term that offers a bit of subjectivity for the latter group...and yes, I completely agree with those that say that not much of this matters...I find it completely satisfying trying to fully complete my trophy collection and that's all I really care about when it comes to this discussion...and that's my complete opinion...

13 hours ago, SakiSakiSakiSakiSaki said:

To anyone that wants to maintain their 100%, just be aware that, that 100% could be taken away from you at any moment, even if you were to stop gaming now

Nothing novel here. Almost all Completionists are aware of this fact. As well, I don't understand the notion Re: "stop gaming now". That's like telling a Speedrunner that their record is always in jeopardy, so just stop playing now.

In any case, not all Completionists have 100% accounts anyways, especially the ones that have been around since '09 or so. It can simply be a mindset to approach a game or perhaps some just like the challenge of it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

I disagree that having over %90 (or other % less than 100) of obtainable trophies = completist...it's not an opinion thing, it's more an english language definition thing...

This got me thinking - I had a look to see what the technical definition of the word 'Completionist' actually is:

To be fair 'Completionist' is a relatively new term, and so definition within the dictionaries is actually specifically in regards to videogames - it appears that the term was largely unused before folks like us started using it, which I wasn't expecting!

From dictionary.com, the definition is interesting though:

definition.jpg

note the highlighted word - "attempts" - I though that was interesting...

...it seems like, from a technical English Language definition, being a "Completionist" is more to do with the intention of the player, than with the results they actually achieve.

Technically, someone is a "completionist" if they simply intend to attempt each challenge - they don't have to actually succeed at them.

As such, I'd say that from a technical point of view, someone does not have to actually have a 100% complete profile, or even close to it - they just need to have the will and the intention to strive for that lofty goal.

Interesting - though, as you say :

20 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

not much of this matters...

?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

definition.jpg

yes, agreed that completist could take on many different forms and I tried to specify that it was just my opinion...it is based on two words...complete and incomplete...unfortunately, the only metric we have for attempts vs successes are our not-so-subjective trophy list stats ...if someone attempts all in game challenges for games like borderlands or mad max...or all games in a series like metal gear...or all trophies for a single platinum...or only %1 off all the games they play...or simply just the story in each game they play...and says "I'm a completist", that's great and I wouldn't argue if they claim it was their intent...I think it could be argued that they don't  have a "complete profile" and I guess I assumed by the topic title that's what the op was implying...1 incomplete trophy =/= not a completist since they would not have achieved %100 of their trophies...the only thing I would add to that definition in terms of complete/incomplete would be the necessity to be able to obtain the ones that were incomplete...again, just my opinion...

edit: if we broaden the definition of completion my question would be : which metric do you use to define attempts at completion when it comes to trophy profiles?...do you sort people's trophies in a specific manner?...just curious as perhaps you have an objective way of judging overall 0 - %100 completion statistically that I am not aware of...

Edited by ProfBambam55

“Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard.

That's the point. There is no reward if there is no risk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeTheGooner said:

your family member could die tomorrow, that is way worse

1 hour ago, CelestialRequiem said:

“Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard.

That's the point. There is no reward if there is no risk. 

I hope you'll forgive me for the joke but it wouldn't be psnp if we didn't go from "to all completionists: your %100 is always at stake" to this^...the community here is awesome...it's as though the title read "to all completionists: your attempt at universal purpose and completing whatever you like until the game is no longer fun or satisfying anymore is always at stake"...haha

Edited by ProfBambam55

11 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

I hope you'll forgive me for the joke but it wouldn't be psnp if we didn't go from "to all completionists: your %100 is always at stake" to this^...the community here is awesome...it's as though the title read "to all completionists: your attempt at universal purpose and completing whatever you like until the game is no longer fun or satisfying anymore is always at stake"...haha

I know that's what you weren't saying; however, that quote encapsulates how I feel about the matter. 

26 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I know that's what you weren't saying; however, that quote encapsulates how I feel about the matter. 

thanks for understanding...a bit of context: possibly due to adhd, i'll often approach a topic really focused on logic/math content, and especially when the title invariably includes stats...then someone will post a really subjective idea and I'll kind of nod my head and think about it...then, someone will post some kind of universal truth or brilliant quote and I'll think about it further...eventually, I'll snap out of it and be like "what was the topic again?" and i'll read the thread title again...just gave me a bit of a chuckle in this case when my logic/math side kicked in...a good reminder of how differently all of our brains' work...sorry, way off topic here...

Edited by ProfBambam55

If Sony implemented the possibility of deleting trophies from your profiles, would you guys use the feature on games in your profile that are unobtainable/that you do not wish to go back and finish in order to have a completion percentage as high as possible ? It's something I keep asking myself sometimes. Obviously people wouldn't have alternate accounts where they would try out games because the fear of not being able or willing to finish games wouldn't be a problem since they would be able to delete their trophy sets.

21 minutes ago, LosAngelesPride said:

If Sony implemented the possibility of deleting trophies from your profiles, would you guys use the feature on games in your profile that are unobtainable/that you do not wish to go back and finish in order to have a completion percentage as high as possible ?

I would immediately delete my unobtainables. I don't like the idea of deleting games that are "too hard" as much, as confronting the tougher games from my past really pushed my limits, but I guess a deletion option like you mentioned wouldn't know or care about understanding the difference, so we would just have to take the good and bad together if we were ever allowed to delete anything at any time.

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind is that we're pretty lucky that Sony doesn't allow a far more awful practice from devs: deleteing trophies.  On Steam developers can just up and delete an entire game's achievements and there goes hours of time spent.  This was especially annoying a few years back when there was a glitch in profiles that when a dev did this it would list your average completion as 0% across ALL GAMES.  So for months because of a crappy developer that decided to up and delete all their achievements instead of fix a few that didn't work, my profile was a complete mess.  Steam actually fixed the glitch before the dev fixed this, though the dev got a ton of backlash for it.  On top of that, it happened to me twice and it was far more than just two devs who had pulled that crap.

So yeah, very aware that shitty devs can screw a profile up to no end and nothing you can do about it and very glad Sony doesn't let devs outright delete a whole trophy list like Steam lets devs just delete a whole achievement list.  But on there also had devs add broken achievements or break their achievements later.  As it stands the best completion I can ever get there is 99% since they round down to the nearest whole percentage.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, pathtoninja said:

Nothing novel here. Almost all Completionists are aware of this fact. As well, I don't understand the notion Re: "stop gaming now". That's like telling a Speedrunner that their record is always in jeopardy, so just stop playing now.

I wasn’t making a suggestion there. I was creating a scenario of people that took a break. 

Knowing it's at risk is just this first step.

How you deal with that risk is the spirit of the "I have a 100% profile" game.

The definition is very interesting: it doesn't include the result of the attempt, so everyone can be a completionist; even the 4% profiles. They attempted it, but couldn't (for various reasons) complete the task they attempted. Or their attention was drawn to a different game and the attempt is still "in progress"..

Whatever the reason, the only measurement we (the other players) can see are the hard statistics; the raw completion rate of the profile. Nothing else is proof of the attempts the player has made. And we can base our conclusion (completionist yes/no) only on those numbers. Though binding a static percentage to the title "completionist" is fairly pointless, especially with the varying only-story-completed percentage per game. I will agree that having a fairly high completion percentage is a strong indicator.

Among my friends I'm the only one with a sky-high completion; most simply get what they get and make little effort to obtain a 100% or platinum. Even the one who's become addicted to the SoulsBorne genre doesn't show any interest in the NG+ challenges. I think it's weird.

"Storytime > platinum" in their eyes. Can't disagree. Replaying PS3 games to cleanup the missed trophies is a totally different experience compared to a get-the-platinum playstyle, because most of the dumb challenges (complete story with only weapon x, do this highly dangerous thing that takes ages to set up and wastes tons of valuable resources) can be completely ignored: play the way you want!

If Sony allowed the deletion of trophies from profiles that'd open up a whole new can of worms when it gets hacked. Or their "friend" plays on it and wants to earn the super-hard/no-longer-obtainable/500hour-grind trophy themselves.

Malicious developers could potentially exploit this new feature.

Nah, I'm glad that hiding games is possible is just fine by me. I have some games hidden because I either didn't play them (GT5, LBP2), or only had one or two trophies before shelving the game for 'later' (Uncharted 3) and have the next-gen re-release version now.

Dropped games (Trinity Universe, Way of the Samurai 4) will still adorn my profile, forever stuck at whatever percentage I stopped (unless I come back to them).

On 9/4/2021 at 0:11 AM, AJ_Radio said:

100% completionists are few and far between. I consider anybody above 90% or higher to be a completionist. You're still completing 9 out of 10 games, which is a very good ratio.

You can't have everything. Our profiles should be a reflection of what we were and were not able to achieve due to skill, time, etc etc.

I wish I could give you a hundred likes...this is a great take.