Every Platinum is an Experience

PalaceOfLove706

On 9/4/2021 at 1:35 PM, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Every Platinum is an Experience.

That's actually profound -- trophies symbolize the past, not the future.

Edit:  Scrolling through my profile is akin to going through an old photo album.  I remember some Atari, Commodore, x86 and pre-trophy PS games, but trophies are memory joggers for events inside otherwise forgotten games.  In these profiles we often speak of going for a platinum or completion rating or UR count, but categorizing trophies as historical experiences rather than challenging objectives is a much more enjoyable and less daunting perspective. 

Edited by pogo_loco
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I so miss having actual physical manuals and maps to read.

Those days are long gone. That is something that the older crowd in their late 30s and 40s can relate with. I was probably one of the last kids in my generation to grow up when physical manuals were still relevant, until they started getting phased out during the PS2 and PS3 eras.

Now you just read up on a Wiki page that provides everything for you.

• Like 1

On 2021-09-04 at 6:34 PM, AJ_Radio said:

If I get hate for this, I don’t care. 

Only the platinums you put effort towards are an experience. I’ve done 100% only titles that were far harder and more rewarding than most platinums I’ve done. 

So what’s my point? Stop caring about the leaderboards. Care about your own games and your own personal accomplishments. 

Nobody cares if you’re Rank 50 worldwide. Having a miserable experience by playing shit games to keep a leaderboard rank intact can’t be healthy.

But what if it feels good to be ranked higher?

19 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Been there, done that. It ain’t worth it in my opinion. Players get increasingly more competitive the higher ranked they are.

You’re a completionist. It’s obvious. I could make the same argument about that, constantly playing hard/stressful games at the risk of jeopardizing your 95%+ profile. Why bother?

Because you feel like it, that’s why.

7 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

You’re a completionist. It’s obvious. I could make the same argument about that, constantly playing hard/stressful games at the risk of jeopardizing your 95%+ profile. Why bother?

Because you feel like it, that’s why.

You just proven to me you're not worth arguing with. Truthfully, I don't have that many hard games on my profile, but I couldn't care less. My profile is already jeopardized for having unobtainables, but do I care? No. I never intended to have a 100% profile.

In the future, don't come to me arguing about trophy priorities and personal accomplishments, because we clearly can't see eye to eye on those things.

On 9/6/2021 at 11:50 PM, PalaceOfLove706 said:

But what if it feels good to be ranked higher?

Then I hope that feeling is stronger than the slogging through tons of fast-platinum games that you'll have to do to gain a higher rank.

If your rank is low (say far far beyond top 10000) one PSN level will get you several hundred rank-ups.

Once you breach the top 1000, you won't gain anything with just one level per week, as others around your rank will gain similar or more than that.

You'll need more and more points as your rank goes up to increase it. And stopping will lower that rank faster.

You need more and more to keep up the sensation... sounds familiar?

So yes, every platinum is an experience, just like everything that can be seen, heard, felt (both physical and mental), smelt, and tasted.

It's ambiguously broad, so let's narrow it down: was that a fun experience? Would you do it again? Would you tell others about it?

4 minutes ago, Shikotei-kun said:

Then I hope that feeling is stronger than the slogging through tons of fast-platinum games that you'll have to do to gain a higher rank.

If your rank is low (say far far beyond top 10000) one PSN level will get you several hundred rank-ups.

Once you breach the top 1000, you won't gain anything with just one level per week, as others around your rank will gain similar or more than that.

You'll need more and more points as your rank goes up to increase it. And stopping will lower that rank faster.

You need more and more to keep up the sensation... sounds familiar?

So yes, every platinum is an experience, just like everything that can be seen, heard, felt (both physical and mental), smelt, and tasted.

It's ambiguously broad, so let's narrow it down: was that a fun experience? Would you do it again? Would you tell others about it?

You have to ask yourself. Do I want to play this game? Do I want to buy this game for the PS5?

I may sound like I'm practically pissing on every single easy game out there if you've read any of my posts in the past. The fact is I don't. There are plenty of decent games on the PS4 that are very easy, over a 50 percent rarity platinum that are worth playing.

The general attitude for these people who are high ranked on the leaderboards is they keep playing the same crap over and over. When you're in the top 1000 worldwide on the PSNP leaderboards, you're more tempted to play crap. As people need more and more points to rank up, so too does their desire to play these "Breakthrough" titles.

I don't care how many of these throwaway games get released. It's the stigma that is often associated with trophy hunting that entices these people to buy such garbage games that they would otherwise never touch in their lifetime.

Very recently I was criticized by somebody who has over 40,000 trophies. Simply for me having a different opinion. I said to him I don't see the point in playing that many easy titles, because we're only doing this for ourselves. Nobody else cares about our rankings or how many games we've played. When I checked he was in the top 200 - 400 worldwide. Sure, if that's what he likes and what he wanted, that's great. I just don't see the point in getting to that level.

I can't judge what games people play or what they decide to waste or spare in the time they have on any given day. But there is definitely something to be said when you constantly see a few people play and stack the same games over and over and over.

It's trophy addiction.

23 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

It's trophy addiction.

I don't think you are always wrong with this - there is addiction wherever there is dopamine, and trophies invoke a dopamine response for sure - but I don't think boiling it down to "Addiction" is necessarily true in every case - and certainly not among the top end of the leaderboards.

To use an example - take food eating contests.

I think those are a decent metaphor for the top end of the Leaderboard.

You know those folks who enter those world championship hotdog eating contests, who have like, special 'methods'? Eating the dog first, then  dipping the buns in glasses of water to make them go down faster..., that kind of thing? 

For them, it isn't about the individual hotdog - they don't care what it tastes like - they care how fast they can get it down. 

That is the competition they are in. They aren't trying to care about the flavour. Their thing is different than that - and that's okay!

Those guys are not doing anything resembling "fine dining" (the culinary equivalent to what you, I, and a lot of folks on this site do with trophies - enjoying each morsel for how it tastes), but I also wouldn't necessarily say those folks are "addicted" to eating...

...they are just engaged in a different activity to 99.99% of people who do eat.

Now - I'm not necessarily saying I respect - or that you have to respect - eating contests - it's not my cup of tea, either to watch, to follow, or certainly to partake in...

...however, I can recognise there is competition to it.

There are ways to be better or worse, and within a small, select community, there is prestige, I would assume.

Certainly, the world champions will have some renown, in certain circles.

It's not the same as connoisseur dining, of course...  but none of the contestants in it are claiming it is.

They know what they are engaged in.

It's specifically not the same as fine dining, or even regular meal eating - its supposed to be different. They know that.

Obviously, a speed-eating champion claiming they enjoy the hotdogs they eat for a competition more than any other food would seem ridiculous, I agree - but I don't think they do.

They would seem silly if they did...

...but actually, if someone were to stand in the audience at one of those contests, bellowing and bawling that the contestants "Aren't real Gourmands!" and getting mad that the contestants aren't appreciating the craft of cookery... they would be the ones to look silly - not the contestants - you know? :dunno:

Just my two cents.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I may sound like I'm practically pissing on every single easy game out there if you've read any of my posts in the past. The fact is I don't. There are plenty of decent games on the PS4 that are very easy, over a 50 percent rarity platinum that are worth playing.

There's plenty of crappy games with easy plats, agreed.

There's also plenty of great games with easy plats, also agreed. Most require a walkthrough to get all highly missables (Deponia, The Little Acre, Inner World, Long Reach) in one playthrough.

Some are just simple to complete without any exterior help (Reverie, Violet, State of Anarchy), or require an all-paths-taken approach (Nonary Games, like most Visual Novels).

Many of these "EZPZ" games also cost next to nothing; sometimes just $1 (or equivalent). And only an hour to platinum. Some even less.

Little cost, little time, all the points. And if only points are important, then the decision is simple: sacrifice 'just' an hour for all the points.

I have a few of those games, perhaps not the worst offenders, but they'd certainly be categorized as "could've watched a let's-play and wouldn't've missed a thing".

They didn't stay with me, and didn't really feel like an accomplishment of any kind other than that final ping.

But the thing is.. they're looking for a different kind of experience. The experience of higher numbers. The game itself is just the stepping stone. A method, a medium, a stone in the road..

The kind of experience "the rest" of us (those not in the race to the top rank) are looking for is a more careful exploration of the road, feel the pebbles and the mossy unstepped stones: the journey is more important than the destination.

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

- snip -

Just my two cents.

Now I'm hungry.

Every game is an experience. May not be a fulling or good experience, but it's still one.

Kind of nice to look back and think about games that were played, especially if you played them with kids that were young at the time, deceased family/friends etc.

I like that photo album reference.

• Like 2

Hi. I just started trophy hunting I'm currently playing one game atm " GTA Vice City" I've a few easy platinums like My name is mayo ect. I like to platinum games but if i platinum easy games I'd probably be scrutinized and downgraded by people that hate those quick platinum games. I would like to platinum easy/hard games but having second thoughts about doing so. anyone ever felt the same? this is my first post I'm new so sorry if this isn't the right place to voice my matter, thank you.

49 minutes ago, VigilantCrow said:

Every game is an experience. May not be a fulling or good experience, but it's still one.

Kind of nice to look back and think about games that were played, especially if you played them with kids that were young at the time, deceased family/friends etc.

I like that photo album reference.

True my child popped a trophy for me so ill always remember that looking back in a few years time.

• Like 2