UMVC3 and MVC2 leaving the psn store

WuTangJase-

Ok so these two games had a 50% price cut in the psn store. The last day to purchase them in the EU store is today, but I've been checking and there is no price cut, everything is still full price, what gives? The US store had the price cut, but the EU one didn't.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/15/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-mvc2-to-be-pulled-from-xbla-psn-dl/

This is a bit annoying because I was going to purchase UMVC3, but i'm not paying £30.00 for it. 

What gives.. I really don't get why they have to remove games in PSN store? >_< to cause hype thinking people will buy these games before they are gone?

I believe these are being removed from the store as the licencing agreement for some of the characters have expired and have not been renegotiated, so it will be illegal for the developer to sell the game as of tomorrow. Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

I believe these are being removed from the store as the licencing agreement for some of the characters have expired and have not been renegotiated, so it will be illegal for the developer to sell the game as of tomorrow.

It baffles me why companies don't guarantee the rights to stuff like this for longer than the 2 years or so UMvC3 has been out.

• Like 1

It baffles me why companies don't guarantee the rights to stuff like this for longer than the 2 years or so UMvC3 has been out.

Presumably because the rights would cost more than they would make in sales revenue from a 2 year old game.

The developers aren't making games for fun, they make them for money.

I believe these are being removed from the store as the licencing agreement for some of the characters have expired and have not been renegotiated, so it will be illegal for the developer to sell the game as of tomorrow.

This is exactly why retail copies of games should never go away and why I stick to my guns when I say streaming is not a viable alternative to the lack of backwards compatibility in these new consoles. When you don't physically own or have the option to physically own a copy of the game, you stand to fall victim to political BS like this.

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 1

I felt somehow sad... It is the first game I owned on my Vita.

This is exactly why retail copies of games should never go away and why I stick to my guns when I say streaming is not a viable alternative to the lack of backwards compatibility in these new consoles. When you don't physically own or have the option to physically own a copy of the game, you stand to fall victim to political BS like this.

But that doesn't make sense, since people who buy it before it gets taken off the store can still redownload it from thier library, the developers are just not selling any new copies of it.

• Like 1

But that doesn't make sense, since people who buy it before it gets taken off the store can still redownload it from thier library, the developers are just not selling any new copies of it.

Yeah that's what i mean though. If you wait and don't buy it in "X" amount of time (whether for a price drop or to be offered for free with PS +), you run the legitamite risk of no longer having a means to own the game on the PS3 if its a download only game...in the case of MvC 2. It gets even worse if we're talking about streaming: you pay whatever price for a subscription but the library of games you have access to remain inconsistant because of these same licensing issues.

Retail copies bypass all of that because the developer isn't going to recall all of the physical copies of the games because of licensing issues...in the case of UMvC3 (people at least still have this as an option)

Edited by merciful84

In case anyone here hasn't noticed yet, the date for the games to be removed was the 17th for PSN.  The PS3 game is gone from PSN.  However, the PS Vita version of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, along with all of the DLC, is still on the store.  So, if anyone wants to nab the character DLC, you still can get on there and nab it.

• Like 1

http://pixelsordeath.wordpress.com/2011/04/23/this-game-sucks-marvel-vs-capcom-3/

I agree that Marvel 3 pales in comparison to MvC2 and all the other old school Marvel. Can't get the appeal of the combo system.

Older MvC games are way harder and combos are a little bit more difficult to pull off in my opinion. MvC3 & UMvC3 combos are much easier to pull off. Anyone can be decent in the later mvc games. This is just my opinion.

I'm assuming you didn't like mvc3 or umvc3?

Me personally I do like all mvc games. I've always found them very fun.

Edited by TENCHU_REPPA
  • Like 1

To me the presentation is the best thing about Marvel 3. It's actually harder for me to start a combo during online matches since the netcode seems just as bad as Street Fighter IV (or maybe it takes a long time for my IP to communicate with their servers?). It doesn't matter if both of us have a good connection, there's always going to be a significant delay before my inputs register. There hasn't been an offline scene in my area since the N64 days, where we would play games like Super Smash Bros. and Mario Party. Most of the time nowadays it's just me minding my own business.

They simplified the combo system for people who didn't like MvC2, and look how many players Tatsunoko vs. Capcom 2 a.k.a. Marvel 3 seduced because of that. Like when you play Magneto, his mobility that keeps the opponent guessing on how he'll attack you has been exchanged for more damage off of simple combos and his EM Disruptor became spammier. Characters don't even need resets because of the higher damage. Marvel 3 will never have the depth or complexity of MvC2. MSHvSF was my very first Marvel, back in 2005 at the arcades.

So yeah, continue to play your garbage Marvel. Let your kids enjoy it. I'm not touching that abomination of a Marvel game ever again. And if you play the game online, don't start crying.