Can’t Finish Matthias Quest

crashban96

Apparently this has been a bug since launch. I’ve put so much time into this damn game and is my plat really going to be stopped by this? I have no quests from Matthias, I’ve done the stupid contracts 5 times over, and he has a converse bubble that disappears when I get close to him. What do I do? I haven’t found a work around, anyone else experience this? I’m going insane.

Edited by crashban96

I had this exact problem thinking I needed to talk to him. Turned out I did not. I did have an 'arcanist' contract that I thought was not related to him. After completing that contract suddenly I had a quest pop up for Matthias. I've completed his storyline and the conversation bubble is still there, without being able to talk to him. (I actually have 2 bubbles on the map right now that poof when I get close)

I did complete the entire storyline thinking I'd have to start a second pilot just for Matthias, so I've let it sit for several days. Not sure if completing any other stories main or side had influence. I can only state my observation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2021 at 10:26 PM, crashban96 said:

I started a new pilot and got it no problem. Finally got the Plat, I’m so sad they canceled NEXT, such wasted potential 

I've been having the same issue for a few days. I started a second pilot hoping it would fix things but I encountered the same bug. Did you do anything special with your second pilot in order to avoid the bug? Like did you just speedrun the main quest and Matthias' quests while skipping all dialogues, etc...? Or did you play through everything a second time?

Edit: Nevermind. I started a new pilot and got the trophy

Edited by Ferrettizer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 10/15/2021 at 2:42 AM, HuntingFever said:

Which trophy does this affect?

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/8731-anthem/8-scholarly-pursuits

I’m encountering this glitch myself as well. Was hoping I didn’t need a second pilot but also hoping this doesn’t entail redoing the critical objectives to catch up to this quest again.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 1:14 AM, EqualityEarth said:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/8731-anthem/8-scholarly-pursuits

I’m encountering this glitch myself as well. Was hoping I didn’t need a second pilot but also hoping this doesn’t entail redoing the critical objectives to catch up to this quest again.

Hey, so I started a new pilot and I was going through the Mathias questline as much as possible before doing anything of the main quest. It randomly popped the Mathias trophy after completing one of his quest. Never finished his whole questline. So bottom line is just create a new pilot and do it again.

Just to update, according to the anthem fandom wiki, this issue is attributed to the (premature?) crafting of the dawn shield, which I must assure you that I totally cleared out everything optional, and even refreshed the fort with a few quick play runs with randoms, before doing so. However, the last Matthias quest as well as the last Brin and Yarrow quests all showed up after doing the last critical/story mission Return to the Heart of Rage (a nominal task when randoms casually one shot the final boss each phase).

So I guess this isn’t that big of an issue. It surely would be worth updating the guide with this caveat given how many people it must have affected. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, EqualityEarth said:

Just to update, according to the anthem fandom wiki, this issue is attributed to the (premature?) crafting of the dawn shield, which I must assure you that I totally cleared out everything optional, and even refreshed the fort with a few quick play runs with randoms, before doing so. However, the last Matthias quest as well as the last Brin and Yarrow quests all showed up after doing the last critical/story mission Return to the Heart of Rage (a nominal task when randoms casually one shot the final boss each phase).

So I guess this isn’t that big of an issue. It surely would be worth updating the guide with this caveat given how many people it must have affected. 

I've just left a note about this issue in the Guide so hopefully the Author will see it :).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 17/08/2022 at 11:02 PM, EqualityEarth said:

In that case, what's the simplest way to get the trophy and avoid triggering this glitch? I've just picked up Anthem after finding a copy for under £4 on Ebay so want to finish it with as few issues as possible :).

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

what's the simplest way to get the trophy and avoid triggering this glitch?

In terms of the side-quest layout, put off critical objectives as much as possible and keep your so to speak “dashboard” clear. You can keep up with the side-quests from those 3 characters as they come naturally, and also the other conversation bubbles that pop up from various figures. All of them contribute to the 3 affinity level trophies which take a while but you can get it off your back if you stay on top of it. When it seems like you’ve cleared out character interactions and available side quests, enter a free play session and venture to any area you haven’t been to before, with your next gun to get its 50 kills. Hopefully you may find more items like runes, documents and others along the way. When you return to the fort, it’s possible something else may crop up, because I think you have to refresh the fort to advance any of the minor characters’ to their next interaction/quest offering if you aren’t already caught up with them.

Once you’re tasked with crafting the dawn shield, this is the moment of truth. If you still only have 1 or more quests left from Matthias it might be one that simply won’t pop up until after you beat the final boss. It didn’t entirely seem like the situation was “meant to be,” I can’t remember how well I’d judge Matthias knowing you are now in “post game.” My instance affected all 3 factions so I was a little confused about how the topic was specifically about Matthias. The interface screw alone (weird grey/disappearing bubble) certainly doesn’t help player expectations on when to expect to have these 3 characters side-quests done (for those who prefer to save final boss for last in every game) so this could simply be a mismatch between communication from the game, the guide, and the wikis, all stemming from a less than optimal development.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, EqualityEarth said:

In terms of the side-quest layout, put off critical objectives as much as possible and keep your so to speak “dashboard” clear. You can keep up with the side-quests from those 3 characters as they come naturally, and also the other conversation bubbles that pop up from various figures. All of them contribute to the 3 affinity level trophies which take a while but you can get it off your back if you stay on top of it. When it seems like you’ve cleared out character interactions and available side quests, enter a free play session and venture to any area you haven’t been to before, with your next gun to get its 50 kills. Hopefully you may find more items like runes, documents and others along the way. When you return to the fort, it’s possible something else may crop up, because I think you have to refresh the fort to advance any of the minor characters’ to their next interaction/quest offering if you aren’t already caught up with them.

Once you’re tasked with crafting the dawn shield, this is the moment of truth. If you still only have 1 or more quests left from Matthias it might be one that simply won’t pop up until after you beat the final boss. It didn’t entirely seem like the situation was “meant to be,” I can’t remember how well I’d judge Matthias knowing you are now in “post game.” My instance affected all 3 factions so I was a little confused about how the topic was specifically about Matthias. The interface screw alone (weird grey/disappearing bubble) certainly doesn’t help player expectations on when to expect to have these 3 characters side-quests done (for those who prefer to save final boss for last in every game) so this could simply be a mismatch between communication from the game, the guide, and the wikis, all stemming from a less than optimal development.

Thank you for the pointers :).

• 5 months later...

So I've been cleaning up this game and I guess I encountered a bug related to Matthias' storyline, but I'm not sure if it's the same one you guys are describing.

I was able to finish the quest "Secrets of the Auspex", which should be the last one in the storyline. However, upon finishing it, no trophy popped. The quest is marked as complete, I did get the library entries for "Secrets of the Auspex", "Matthias: The Riddles of Raban Maur" (including lore for the aforementioned quest), and Matthias Erryl Summer. However, on the Challenges -> Agent Stories > Matthias: Riddles of Raban Maur, the quest "Secrets of the Auspex" does not appear as completed.

I'll make a new pilot eventually once I get the Masterwork javelin trophy so that collectibles respawn and become easier, so I guess I can re-do his storyline if necessary. However, if anybody has any tips or indications for me, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Image gallery here: https://imgur.com/a/N3dlhLY

UPDATE: Going through the game on a second pilot so that the collectibles reset and I have an easier time. I finished the first Matthias questline, and when the second one (The Riddles of Raban Maur) opened up, the trophy popped upon completing the FIRST mission in the questline (Elysian Secrets) instead of having to redo all 6-7 missions within the questline.

Edited by Vanqishd
added images
  • Like 2

Hi peeps,

I know its an old topic, I wanted to contribute to the conversation.

Just started playing about a month ago, and finished the main quest yesterday.

Now im finishing the side quests and other grindy quests.

Just got the last Matthias trophy without creating a new pilot.

Perhaps they fixed it before I started playing the game.

Could be that new players don't face this issue.

PS: The converse bubble with Matthias is still there after getting the trophy.

Edited by Bmercenary
Incorrect information
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bmercenary said:

Hi peeps,

I know its an old topic, I wanted to contribute to the conversation.

Just started playing about a month ago, and finished the main quest yesterday.

Now im finishing the side quests and other grindy quests.

Just got the last Matthias trophy without creating a new pilot.

Perhaps they fixed it before I started playing the game.

Could be that new players don't face this issue.

PS: The converse bubble with Matthias is still there after getting the trophy.

This bug was never fixed but it doesn't happen very often, which is why there unfortunately isn't much info out there about it :(.