ZZ383

Guide says 3/10, Overcooked 2 says 3/10, both are wrong

30 posts in this topic

Another thread that proves assigning arbitrary numbers to something over-simplified as “difficulty” is futile and ultimately pointless without so much context, it makes the number pointless. 
 

Have you had these discussions out in the comments sections of those guides with the guide author to understand their justifications for their scores?

 

Edited by DaivRules
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pretty much numbers are different for every individual, there isn't a correct answer

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing in Overcooked 1 or 2 is a 5/10. But as others have said, numbers are subjective, you might find it harder than a 3/10. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we're misunderstanding difficulty with frustration level in this case. Which is often what I view the difficulty scores on this site to represent.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with what others have said - notably that difficulty is subjective and that the best way to objectify it is to democratize it. I don't know that the site has a good way to do that, though.

 

Personally I do feel like getting all of the stars in Overcooked 2 was harder than a 3/10, but again, personal opinion.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Stevieboy said:

Guide writer says 3/10. You say it should be 5/10.

 

You're both right.

 

Opinions are only valid to the person making them, not to anyone else.

☝️This!  Difficulty is, to one extent or another, subjective.  A game that one person might find to be fairly easy, another person might have a hard time with and find very difficult.  A person who is very skilled at playing video games is going to find most games to be far easier than someone who is not so skilled.  At the end of the day, a given difficulty rating should just be considered a "ballpark" estimate and nothing more.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spider-Man916 said:

261d.pngThis!  Difficulty is, to one extent or another, subjective.  A game that one person might find to be fairly easy, another person might have a hard time with and find very difficult.  A person who is very skilled at playing video games is going to find most games to be far easier than someone who is not so skilled.  At the end of the day, a given difficulty rating should just be considered a "ballpark" estimate and nothing more.

 

This isn't about my opinion being right. I understand the tone my post made and how it reflects that viewpoint. My point is Overcooked 2 is supposed to be a 3/10, which if we accept that as fact then it means All You Can Eat is at most a 3/10, but it has easier challenges, only one level as opposed forty five need to be 3-starred. Truly it must be a lesser difficulty by outright being an easier task to achieve. The majority of the trophies in AYCE are just using the various costumes and doing simple things that take 5 minutes.

 

The other guide site always has a topic in each game's forums for a poll to vote on how difficult each person found it. Overcooked 2 has a public poll rating of 4.4 from 10 votes. Their guide states it is 7/10 solo or 4/10 co-op. 

 

A difficulty rating should never be written from your experience alone. You must consider the most average player's skill level in a game's genre. Truthfully there isn't one perfect way to rate a platinum difficulty, but a public poll does help get feedback from players.

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd probably say Overcooked 2 is a 2/10 because of the DLC and All You Can Eat is a 1/10. Both are way too easy imo. Overcooked 2 was so easy on launch that they added the 4 star scores as an extra challenge because 3 stars were too simple. 

 

Saying 3/10 on both is fine. Great games too.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Blaul_Part said:

I wrote the guide for Overcooked: All You Can Eat. As plenty have pointed out, ratings are subjective and it's fine not to agree with what I've decided upon. If a large group of people are unhappy about my 3/10 rating, I can change it, but it sounds like majority opinion is that Overcooked 2 is too low and that mine is OK.

In my personal opinion, a 1/10 is a game that requires literally 0 thought or skill from a player, so I wouldn't call it that. All You Can Eat has an assisted mode to make the game much less demanding, meaning you still have to try a bit but the platinum journey will still be super relaxed, feeling like a 2/10, maybe a 1/10 for those who disagree with my criteria for a 1/10. Taking away the assisted mode makes it seemingly fair to increase the difficulty by one more, to 3/10, which is how I wrote the guide since I personally feel like the best combination of fun vs. difficulty is without assisted mode. That is my justification for my rating, but again, if I see a fair amount of opinions here believing that 2/10 is more appropriate, I can change it. I just wouldn't personally agree with that opinion, which is again fine because everything is subjective.

 

Thanks for writing the guide, didn't see anyone else mention that or acknowledge the time it takes to do these things to ulitmately help other gamers in this thread. 

 

On the difficult front, I only platted OC2 not this version of the game but if they've made it easier then, yeh they should probably be different, but to me it doesn't really matter either way. Don't get too hung up on the ratings, it's just a guide. Overcooked 2 was a 7/10 for solo (rated via poll) on a different site and I can categorically say that it is not a 7/10 game.

 

But there's the problem, I've just made an assessment based on what I think and what I think the average gamer would think if playing this game. I could be way off, how would I know? What is an average gamer?

 

The 'average gamer' I would expect doesn't try to plat every game or get hung up on difficulty ratings, what am I basing that on? The plat percentage on PSN? Going by that most normal games would be 'hard'. Look at Mass Effect. Rated 3/10 for difficulty and obtained by 38% on this site so more than a 1/3 of people who played it have platted it on this site but the psn % is 7.3%. 92.7% of the people who played that game didn't plat it. Is that because it's hard? people couldn't be bothered? got distracted? or played it as much as they wanted to and then moved on?

 

Not easy is it to put yourself in the mind of other people. Similarly a difficulty rating poll on a site where people make a big deal of earning trophies will be biased the other way. What if you are an 'average gamer' who uses this site and sees that this trophy-hunting community thinks a game is 'easy' and rates it 2/10 but you find it's a 6/10. It will always be difficult to objectively state a game's difficulty so don't try to pin it down too much. Take it as a suggestion and you either agree or disagree but also accept that you may be right or you may be wrong

 

TL:DR - They are a guide. Don't worry too much about it and make up your own mind.

 

If it bothers you that much suggest it to the site owners etc 

 

Artty44.png

Edited by Artty44
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

All You Can Eat is a 1/10

 

Is it almost literally impossible for someone, no matter how terrible they are at the game, to get the platinum?

Edited by cckerberos
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, cckerberos said:

 

Is it almost literally impossible for someone, no matter how terrible they are at the game, to get the platinum?

It might be impossible if you had only one hand or of you can't read the languages the game has in its options. Otherwise, yes, its pretty much impossible for the plat to evade you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LoveInHell said:

The guide writer should always rate the difficulty according to how most people feel about it.

 

When a guide writer who is good at racing games puts 3/10 on a racing game, then yeah obviously a person who is good at racing would rate it a 3/10. But the majority of people wont find it easy, say the game goes on PS+, people ahem trophy hunters would be furious with the difficulty when it feels impossible to them.

 

Yeah it’s different for everyone but difficulty rating should always be for the majority not the minority. Realistic rating instead of “my opinion is this and your opinion is that”.

 

You'd think that would be common sense. Someone that wins fighting game tournaments isn't going to worry about the difficulty of a fighting game. It's your average player that wants to know how difficult a game is going to be. And your average player will obviously not be anywhere near as good as someone that plays in tournaments, so such a person assigning a game "3/10" is ultimately pointless. All it does is mislead the people that the ratings are for.

 

It has always been like this though. Every time the subject comes up, I recommend not bothering with the difficulty rating. Looking at the platinum trophy rarity will give you a better idea than "3/10" will.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

Guide writer says 3/10. You say it should be 5/10.

 

You're both right.

 

Opinions are only valid to the person making them, not to anyone else.


True. But I myself have fallen foul of starting a game I’m 50/50 on for it to be way harder then the guide stated. As a guide writer myself, I don’t go for personal opinion but what id believe would be a best overall rating. 
 

For example, as a long term battlefield veteran I found BFV easy at 2/10 and yet my guide says 5/10 for the average player. It’s fine if people find it easier but it’s not fair on people who will find it harder. 
 

On the other site you can link your guide rating to a difficulty poll. Making it a little more realistic to the average player, then you can state your own difficulty as personal rating. 
 

Guide writing is a thankless task but misinformation isn’t fair on readers. On the other hand calling out guide writers in forums or in the comments instead of messaging them and asking why or correcting things that may have changed is equally unfair.

9 minutes ago, ShadeSplit said:

 

You'd think that would be common sense. Someone that wins fighting game tournaments isn't going to worry about the difficulty of a fighting game. It's your average player that wants to know how difficult a game is going to be. And your average player will obviously not be anywhere near as good as someone that plays in tournaments, so such a person assigning a game "3/10" is ultimately pointless. All it does is mislead the people that the ratings are for.

 

It has always been like this though. Every time the subject comes up, I recommend not bothering with the difficulty rating. Looking at the platinum trophy rarity will give you a better idea than "3/10" will.


Exactly. Dead or alive 5 was rated a 3/10 when I started it and it was nails IMO 

 

I’m not bad at fighting games either but the writer must of been a pro 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you're both wrong it's a 4/10.  that is a fact not an opinion. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard the game is a 10/10 if you use a Rock Band Drum Set as your controller. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BeautifulTorment said:

It might be impossible if you had only one hand or of you can't read the languages the game has in its options. Otherwise, yes, its pretty much impossible for the plat to evade you.

 

1/10 is now reserved for a new Elite of games

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mikem192 said:


True. But I myself have fallen foul of starting a game I’m 50/50 on for it to be way harder then the guide stated. As a guide writer myself, I don’t go for personal opinion but what id believe would be a best overall rating. 
 

For example, as a long term battlefield veteran I found BFV easy at 2/10 and yet my guide says 5/10 for the average player. It’s fine if people find it easier but it’s not fair on people who will find it harder. 
 

On the other site you can link your guide rating to a difficulty poll. Making it a little more realistic to the average player, then you can state your own difficulty as personal rating. 
 

Guide writing is a thankless task but misinformation isn’t fair on readers. On the other hand calling out guide writers in forums or in the comments instead of messaging them and asking why or correcting things that may have changed is equally unfair.

 

The point I was trying to make is regardless of what rating out of 10 is given by the guide writer or people playing, it is their own opinion and each one is correct for that individual person.

 

You rated BFV a 2/10 based on your skill, which is your opinion and correct for you, but you decided an average player would find it a 5/10, which is also your opinion and correct for you. The other thing you have to remember is that different people will have different opinions on what difficulty a game rated each of the 10 numbers out of 10 will provide. You can see this difference in the comments of difficulty rated threads on other forums. For example, a lot of people rate grindy games as 9 or 10 out of 10 difficulty when grind does not equate to difficulty. It's all opinions and subjective, and only relevant to the individuals.

 

You could have a poll, but if the poll gives an average result of a score like 7/10 then it's down to the individual looking at that result to form their opinion on what 7/10 means. Some would deem a 7/10 as not too tricky and manageable, whereas others would think a 7/10 is too difficult for them.

 

The main point I was making is none of these opinions are wrong as they are all correct in relevance to the person making that opinion. It might not be the general consensus, but that doesn't make it wrong.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 3/10 isn't that much of a difference from a 5/10, is it?  How is the guide writer's opinion "incredibly misleading?"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.