Black Screen of Death

A word of warning if you haven't played the game since the last patch... (about a year ago)?
You may encounter a black screen when loading up the game after it logs you into the MGS servers. There's no way of getting past this screen even after restarting, or deleting the game and reinstalling it.
I read online it's a common problem and that you can try turning off your internet connection when booting up again. This didn't work for me though and even if it did that would restrict you getting online in the future.
The only thing to remedy this unfortunately is to delete your game data and start from scratch. That's what I had to do and it did stop the black screen from appearing.
Hopefully not too many of you will be affected by this though as it seems to just be older players returning back to the game.

Edited by whittle181
  • Like 2

I had a neverending black screen recently when I ran the NA version for the first time, after playing the EU version a few years ago. The game asked me if I wanted to download MGO and some other thing, then just stopped on a black screen after I declined. I've downloaded that "other thing" (whatever it was, I can't remember) on the NA  account and I've had zero problems since then. I'm probably not helping, but yeah, seems like this game has some very weird issues. 

So this is what happened to me, huh. I tried booting up the PS3 version of the game after a long break, and this exact thing happened. I had to delete the game data as well. Thankfully, the online data (some materials and other stuff) was saved on their servers, and I didn't have to grind too much for the platinum.

17 hours ago, Letenko22 said:

I got this today, funnily enough just rebooting the game worked for me. This might have been due to it being my first boot of the game on PS4 though.

If you've never played this game before or starting for the first time on a brand new profile, you shouldn't encounter this bug.

My friend had the black screen and couldn't get in the game at all, what we did to fix it we copied the save file to USB to preserve it and then deleted it from the system. Started the game fresh and it gave us un option to download some online components that she apparently declined when she started the game for the 1st time and never had an option of downloading it again, once that was downloaded we copied the save file from the USB back into the system storage and it black screen was gone she continued with the game where she left off around 50 hours in without losing progress. Hopes this helps somebody.

17 hours ago, whittle181 said:

If you've never played this game before or starting for the first time on a brand new profile, you shouldn't encounter this bug.

Interesting, might be a different bug then, however it appeared during my initial boot right after downloading the latest version and DLC from the PS Store using the in-game menu.