Had VR had its day and reached its limitations ?

amurnin100

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Are those the only two options?

VR has had its day and reached its limitations because no AAA games have been produced for it

-or-

VR is a gimmick

I don’t think VR needs AAA gaming. VR isn’t going to have the mass appeal that a console and a TV can have. It’s going to have a much smaller audience and give a completely different experience. AA studios have been doing awesome stuff with VR and I think it’s the best thing for it because it can be more experimental than some AAA ROI would require. 

If you ask some people, video games had their day after Super Mario Bros. and the gimmick has passed. To those people, they’ve already made up their mind, they’re not really looking for discussion. And that’s fine, video games don’t appeal to everyone and they don’t need to. Just like VR. 

1 hour ago, iriihutoR84 said:

Sony already confirmed a next gen VR headset and according to some supposedly leaked information, there will be a greater focus on AAA games next gen. Possibly via flat screen multiplats. It's really not the time to make this topic before we actually know their next gen VR plans.

if the mods are happy to keep this open, then I’m happy to debate should the next gen be confirmed .

@DaivRules Very true but this piece of equipment is a gap in the console market that Sony should fully implement  , not even in gaming but could even change the way we could watch films,  in 360 , granted it will cost a lot and take up a huge amount of disk / cloud space but the potential is huge and needs a decent marketing team to draw interest.

I don’t think Vr is a gimmick nor past it’s peak, I think it’s just stagnant at the moment , developers don’t know what support they get when creating a game (some indie games have really hit the nail on the head  with VR) but could the only AAA game that has been brought to VR is LA Noire and I had a blast, bring RDR2 to VR or even GTA5 as a bonus upgrade when playing it on PS5, something to entice the market :)

Edited by amurnin100

I feel like Sony wanted to get their foot in the door with VR. It's a fun headset, but definitely not that affordable when combined with a PS4 console, plus all the games that have to be bought to play on it. These past few years of games may have just been the beginning of the VR market. I think we will definitely see longer and higher-quality titles as VR advances, and Playstation will be a part of it.

• Like 2

I would love to try out VR but it's too expensive for me to consider at present. I don't think that the technology has had its day. It's currently in a place where the barrier to entry is too high in terms of cost but it isn't mainstream enough to become cheaper. When that breakthrough happens, I expect that VR will become very mainstream. Look how long it took mobile phones to break through, but when they did........

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

VR *is* immersion, that is it's whole point and succeeds.  

Yeah yeah yeah.

I've played more games than my profile lets on, so get off your high horse. At the end of the day, it's still a gimmick with a screen strapped to your face.

46 minutes ago, amurnin100 said:

then I’m happy to debate should the next gen be confirmed

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/23/introducing-the-next-generation-of-vr-on-playstation/

It was confirmed 6 months ago.

I said then, just as now, it's up to the developers to deliver on VR. Sony is producing the hardware. It's never going to sell 1:1 with PS5 or PS4, as it's just not going to appeal to every gamer. That doesn't mean it immediately fits my definition of a gimmick. But if that's where some people set the bar for gimmick, then that's on them.

• Like 2

The games I mentioned are only but a few , as some others have been mentioned like Resi 7, Skyrim etx , I’m pro VR 100% , agreed some people don’t like things being put on their face for the sake of gaming however if gaming is an immersive experience , if should be a viable option, but has to be affordable, and at a price point that justifies the purchase and not an accessory that gathers dust like wonderbooks, eye cameras etc. Oh and base game and Vr game trophies , Blair witch came out on VR with a separate list if anyone is interested. 

18 minutes ago, Helyx said:

At the end of the day, it's still a gimmick with a screen strapped to your face.

A gimmick is a trick businesses will use to lure consumers and there are no tricks with VR. It is something that is impossible to sell as you have to try it to really experience it. It is for immersion, adding depth to games and succeeds. Playing Doom 3 VR was way more fun than playing just regular Doom 3. Gaming will NEVER go the way of full VR (too many game styles wouldn't fit in VR) but it is in its future to grow and get better. I understand if you didn't like VR or get nauseous or just isn't for you but to not admit it isn't 'neat' and instead say it is a gimmick is extremely laughable! 

1 minute ago, amurnin100 said:

Oh and base game and Vr game trophies , Blair witch came out on VR with a separate list if anyone is interested. 

Yeah, seems when devs re-release the game in VR or re-release a VR only game as flat is when another list comes into play. When a VR only game is patched to be playable flat is when there isn't another list. 

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Because it's a gimmick.

Try again, "A gimmick is a trick businesses will use to lure consumers." Example:

As a sales gimmick, your local bank might offer free microwave ovens to people who open new savings accounts. In what way is VR a 'gimmick'? Promising immersion? That isn't a lie. 

Virtual Reality will never take over mainstream gaming, as people will always prefer to be seated comfortably in reality to pay attention to other things going on around them. Ease of access, costs, etc. It is an added peripheral, not a gimmick. Everyone who has tried it, can at least admit it is cool. The discussion here is if VR has, "Had it's day and reached it's limitations", and the answer is no to either. Technology will improve and so will the immersion, haptics, gameplay, graphics and controllers. VR is here to stay, NOT to overtake, and PSVR2 will attract developers as they will be on the same tracking system as all other major headsets! Your opinion is in the minority. Astrobot has been heralded as doing what Super Mario 64 did for gaming, but in VR.

Edited by MikeCheck--
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Stop trying. You can like VR and it’s okay if someone else doesn’t. 

That is exactly what I said in my post . . . but they aren't using the definition of gimmick correctly. I know VR isn't for everyone, and that is fine. Just like gaming, or visual novels, etc aren't for everyone but it isn't a gimmick is really all I'm trying to say.

• Like 2

VR will never really hit any kind of stride until it goes totally wireless and doesn't require expensive external hardware placed conveniently in a room with enough space to make it work... hence the Oculus Quests relative success.  And even then it has to contend with the many people who find the headsets uncomfortable, nauseating... hardware limitations... peoples blinding hate for Facebook... the myriad of mobile-esque shovelware vs real games... etc.

I think it's found its place past the gimmick/fad stage.  There are huge companies behind it now (Facebook, Valve, Sony), storefronts dedicated to it, games like RE7 VR, Skyrim VR and Half Life Alyx proving it can elevate AAA experiences.  Where it goes is anyones guess but it's here to stay, no signs of slowing down with new Quest models, PSVR2 on the way, etc.

It'll never be a standard though because there's never going to be a time where it's as easy or as practical as picking up a controller.  Until they start planting chips in our heads at least lol.  But it doesn't have to be a standard in the same way conventional games are.  Kinda like mobile, it's a niche product targetting a different demographic of gamer.  It just needs enough success to keep companies interested.

Edited by Dreakon13

3 hours ago, amurnin100 said:

There are some amazing titles out there like blood and truth and astrobot but will a AAA game ever be made to utilised the VR or has the gimmic past?

You need to dig deeper into the vr catalog dude. 

The ps4 was brilliant at supporting the vr but there were limitations what that console could do

I recon the next gen vr on ps5 is where vr really kick starts

At some point the future is vr gaming wether people like it or not.

Most definatly not a gimmic tho

Edited by dannyswfc9
  • Like 3

I have played a lot of VR games (won’t bore you with the list) but honestly as a gamer , think it’s the future , again cost, development and persuading consumers it is not a gimmick it’s something marketing would need to take into consideration :)

Edited by amurnin100
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

VR will never really hit any kind of stride until it goes totally wireless and doesn't require expensive external hardware placed conveniently in a room with enough space to make it work... hence the Oculus Quests relative success.  And even then it has to contend with the many people who find the headsets uncomfortable, nauseating... peoples blinding hate for Facebook... the myriad of mobile-esque shovelware vs real games... etc.

The PSVR being wired isn't a terrible thing. It is much lighter and comfortable vs when I tried the wireless headsets. Apparently PSVR2 will use a single cord and will have inside out tracking so no external cameras will be needed. I agree it is pretty niche and a fad, still fun to play, and I look forward to psvr 2 :D

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, QueensGambitx said:

The PSVR being wired isn't a terrible thing. It is much lighter and comfortable vs when I tried the wireless headsets. Apparently PSVR2 will use a single cord and will have inside out tracking so no external cameras will be needed. I agree it is pretty niche and a fad, still fun to play, and I look forward to psvr 2 :D

Being wired works if you have a setup that allows for your console to be in a room with enough space to play VR.  A lot of people have their consoles in smaller bedrooms, in media centers with couches, chairs and coffee tables taking up space.  Mine is cramped in my tiny at-home office, which is ideal for a big TV and a theater-like experience... which I do/would use it for 95% of the time... and lugging the consoles or a PC into the living room every time I want to play sounds horrible.

I loved my PSVR, I never would've experienced RE7 VR or Astrobot without it.  The wires themselves didn't really get in the way.  But I'd be lying if I said I'm not looking forward to a day where I can just play them (or something like them) on my Quest... free from wires, rearranging rooms, moving consoles around, etc.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1