Had VR had its day and reached its limitations ?

amurnin100

20 minutes ago, MooseSketts said:

• No cables for certain. 
  • A lightweight design.  
  • I'm sure some people would prefer better graphics.
  • Price point.  ~$300 USD is not something I'd shell out for a VR system.

Also a bit of an aside but how is the response time on the VR from the controllers?  Is there any lag?

Well, no cables and lightweight is impossible with the current gen / specs of VR headsets coming out. The PSVR is light-weight and comfortable but has a wire. PSVR 2 will be the same. Oculus and Quest were both heavier. Graphics on the PSVR 2 should be pretty mind boggling. Also, asking for what you're wanting and less than $300 isn't going to happen.... this gen... maybe in ten years though

• Like 2

definitely not. like any medium, it can always be improved upon. astro bot rescue mission is a wonderful AAA game for the vr headset, and we wouldn't have seen anything like that 10 years ago. beat saber is another example of a perfect game for vr.

more games just need to be produced for it, it is a great device and even can be a system seller for the PS4.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

This was kinda my point. Thats why there is gonna be a psvr 2

What confuses me is that this is in the PS4 thread so aren't we only talking about what's available as of now...?  Also, isn't the PSVR 2 full of speculation and rumors and nothing too concrete yet?

23 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Well, no cables and lightweight is impossible with the current gen / specs of VR headsets coming out. 

I'm not quite sure I agree with this only because of how far we've come from a technological stand-point (in the general sense of technology).  I feel that there could be a way to make a wireless VR Headset.  I'm just not familiar enough with the technology for it to be possible.  Hopefully that makes sense.

23 minutes ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Graphics on the PSVR 2 should be pretty mind boggling. Also, asking for what you're wanting and less than $300 isn't going to happen.... this gen... maybe in ten years though

Correct me if I'm wrong - while the graphics should be mind-boggling for VR weren't the specs for the graphics on the PSVR 2 just speculation and not actually confirmed?  I apologize for sounding rather pessimistic.  It's just that, as I mentioned, I haven't seen anything earth shattering happen with VR in almost a decade now, so I am a bit skeptical.

As for the price point it is foreign to me to pay for, basically, an add-on for a console game system (PC is a whole different story).  Let's hope that the semi-conductor shortage sorts itself out within the next five years!

Edited by MooseSketts
typo
  • Like 1

It will, probably, always be niche but it will be successful enough to justify it's existence.
Will Sony stay in the VR game, long term?
That will depend on PSVR2's success.

They will be companies that do stay with it, though.
VR is here to stay, whether some choose to be offended by that fact or not.

Personally, the fact it's niche is one of the best things about it. Kinda how gaming was better, overall, before the normie invasion resulted in dumbed down games, assembly line design and AAA games trying harder to appeal to fans of Hollywood movies than gamers.
Hopefully the VR community learned from the decline of Western Gaming, Comic Books, Movies, The Playstation Trophy System (pretty much all Western entertainment) and realize being a niche, free of normie influence and destruction is the best place to be and will gatekeep as much as humanly possible.

Edited by Chaos_Culture
  • Like 1

My biggest complaint about VR are motion controls. I like to sit in my recliner and play VR and you can't play many of the VR games while reclined because you can't reach down or reach the hip on your in game character to grab a new magazine. The move controllers are also terrible as well so that doesn't help. I want to be immersed in the game world without having to move my room around or dealing with all the hassles and bs that motion controls require. RE7 and Skyrim are 2 games that did it right.

5 hours ago, MikeCheck-- said:

Virtual Reality will likely not improve there, it just takes time for your brain to realize what is happening aka 'growing your VR legs'. Start off with 15 minutes a day and then work your way up. I was able to jump right in with no motion sickness but others takes a gradually increased amount of time to get used to it! 

I think the whole VR approach will change as technology develops but I do agree with your statement about growing VR legs. My eyes aren’t great so it’s a bit biased towards not being able to withstand it. 
I’d love to platinum Skyrim VR but it’s an impossible task for me. I hope the 10 year anniversary has a new trophy list! A good reason to play it all again ??

• Like 1

I love VR, I wish there was someway to fix motion sickness though. I think that's honestly the next challenge, not necessarily getting the graphics better (although that helps)

I wish there was a way to buy 2 PS4 camera and have one behind you, I'd be willing to pay extra money so the tracking is more accurate, I really hate playing games like Beat Saber and any game where you need to look around and also fire behind you, but then accuracy kinda cons you.

That was also a problem with the original Wiimote, the EyeToy or even the god awful Kinect. The technology isn't good enough and then you end up dying and playing poorly.

AstroBot Rescue Mission is the best VR game hands down. If a game like that was being released in VR every week or two, well I would likely not go back to regular gaming as much.

Motion sickness and the long term effects about your eyes (which nobody knows yet)

That annoys me about VR the most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FocusDR said:

I think the whole VR approach will change as technology develops but I do agree with your statement about growing VR legs. My eyes aren’t great so it’s a bit biased towards not being able to withstand it. 
I’d love to platinum Skyrim VR but it’s an impossible task for me. I hope the 10 year anniversary has a new trophy list! A good reason to play it all again 1f44c-1f3fb.png

It’s funny you mention Skyrim! I played it upon release in 2011, huge fandom of course but I was a high schooler who just liked things linear. Now my first real attempt at playing it will be in VR! I’m really excited to get into it. All I know about the game is “arrow to the knee”, “fus ro dah”, and the other general memes surrounding the game 

I like the freedom of sitting on the sofa and not too keen on strapping something to my head. Without even trying I know it's not for me but as gamer who started with Atari I have to say it impresses me how far we've come with VR. But there is the problem for developers "how far we've come", It changes like the wind.

There’s so much love and hate in this thread lol 

Like what you like and hate what you hate, there is no right and wrong with VR

Personally I like the VR experiences I’ve had but I have to be in the mood, have time to set it up, make sure the cats don’t come in and wreck the cable, clear the room, long use in uncomfortable etc

Then after it’s cleaning the motion controllers and headset. After beat saber and boxVR they are a mess and then packing it all up

Lots of effort for for maybe 2-4hrs here and there. I don’t regret buying it at all though, there’s some awesome games I’ve played and being immersed into the VR has been a great experience. Beat saber, Astro bot, Creed, Blood & Truth are just a few examples of what the VR can do. Given the time and development the experience it will bring will only improve. Much more if it was a bit more practical 

No.

9 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I love VR, I wish there was someway to fix motion sickness though. I think that's honestly the next challenge, not necessarily getting the graphics better (although that helps)

I wish there was a way to buy 2 PS4 camera and have one behind you, I'd be willing to pay extra money so the tracking is more accurate, I really hate playing games like Beat Saber and any game where you need to look around and also fire behind you, but then accuracy kinda cons you.

That was also a problem with the original Wiimote, the EyeToy or even the god awful Kinect. The technology isn't good enough and then you end up dying and playing poorly.

AstroBot Rescue Mission is the best VR game hands down. If a game like that was being released in VR every week or two, well I would likely not go back to regular gaming as much.

Motion sickness and the long term effects about your eyes (which nobody knows yet)

That annoys me about VR the most.

Does your motion sickness happen at 120Hz VR too?