Tales of Arise Review Thread

Valyrious

7 hours ago, AJ Maciejewski said:

Not sure - hasn't played the Japanese version. Unless you're asking about something specific?

I suppose you'd have to, in order to know. Just wondered if there were any fanservicey scene that were obscured, removed or whatever. Bandai Namco said that there wasn't anything censored, but they said that about Tales of Berseria as well, and apparently it did have some small censorship. 

• Like 1

I rarely dip into the JRPG gamebase. I simply am not an anime fan, but I've had my rare moments in loving Persona 5 Royale and Yakuza: Like a Dragon. I've also played Valkyrie Chronicles but didn't enjoy it.

The single player game lineup isn't super strong right now so I'm eyeing this with all the fantastic reviews... but I'm super unsure as I feel it'll be either a hit or miss for me with no in between area. ?

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

Finished the first boss fight last night. The game is legit incredible.

E-_V-dOXMAQ2hUr.png

Same. Love Everthing so far. The Dark Story and shionnes tsundere behaviour especially. Really excited for Future Character development. 

Edited by CoregBlue

Sooo, I finished the game some hours ago and gave it some thought. I played nearly every tales of game there is in europe. And I must say: Tales of Arise is one of the worst of the series in my opinion. All these reviews have probably been written while the person writing them was only a few hours in and haven't finished the story, at least that is my impression.

I really like the characters (even though they get really annoying from time to time) and the battle system is kind of nice, but there are things I don't like about it. But there are a lot of things I really don't like about the game. The music is loud and too epic most of the time (I know I can set the settings of the music volume - I did - but the music shouldnt be louder than the voices in the first place). The story is just a patchwork of several other tales of games put together and really isn't engaging - I could go on why I don't like the story but that would inlcude a whole bunch of spoilers. The game features one of the worst main antagonists of the series ever and the final boss and his goals (the one you only learn about really late in the story) ... well, I won't even start on that. And why the hell is the stuff that heals the healing points is so fucking expensive while you dont get much gald?!

There are good parts of the game that I really like, I won't deny that. But all in all I don't think this is a good game.

Edited by Vanyar1

1 hour ago, Metroid-Prime said:

Does the game have any post-game content?  As in extra dungeons or bonus quests?  I’ve never played a game in the Tales series.

Yes, i only have 1 main story quest to complete and from what i can see around 20/70 sidequests are post-game, there's also getting to lvl 100 which you definitely won't get before you finish the game's story.

• 3 weeks later...

My biggest issue is the game recycling models more than jrpgs from the late 80s-90s. There's legit like 10 families of monsters that just get color swaps and higher stats. Like everything, even the hunts, have reskins. Hell even the post game content suffers the issue of reused assets. The game was quirky and fun but no way in hell is this the best of the series. Better than Zestiria for sure, but even the old ones like Hearts and Symphonia are overall better.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...