Is it bad to never turn your vita off?

Wdjat Prinny Doods

Ok so today I experienced something on my vita that some people on the internet call the "flashing blue light of death" where the PlayStation button on your vita flashes and you cant turn your vita on or off. The name is kind of an exaggeration as it isn't the death of your vita since all you need to do is press the power for about 30 seconds and wait for a menu to come up and choose "restart ps vita" and you are good to go. It still scared the hell out of me though since I really like playing the vita and would hate for something to happen to it. I started wondering if this happened because I really never turn off my vita. Ive had the vita for about 6 months now and it has only been off twice, both times due to the battery dying completely. Any other time I just have the vita on sleep mode. I did some research but couldn't find anything definitive that showed that not turning your vita off and the flashing blue light had any relation.

So Im wondering has anyone else experienced this before with their vita? Is there anyone else who never turns off their vita that has had any problems with their vita and should I start turning it off regularly? Just want to find out more information to prevent this from happening again.

This happened to me when I ran out of battery and plugedg in the charger and tried to turn it back on right away. I doubt it's anything serious. I never turn my vita off either (Except when it runs out of battery, and I don't bother charging it for half a year)

The vita does not overheat so this should not really cause any problems. What were you doing when it happened, though?

Also I would advise against keeping your vita plugged in all the time, as that ruins the battery. I used to have my phone on charge all the time and now the battery lasts for 3 hours max. If you keep your vita charging all the time, that might be the problem.

• Like 1

Ive had that issue but worse. I forget how i fixed it but it was basically a brick for a day. To answer the title question. It is bad to never turn things off. More specifically its bad to not lef a battery drain. The way rechargeable batteries work requires it to run down and then fully rechatge as part of its cycle. If you constantly plug something in like a phone or a laptop and never let it die. Or say your phone goes to 5% then you plug it in, it will actually lower the batteries overall capacity over time which is why people notice a drop in battery life after a year type of thing.

This happened to me when I ran out of battery and plugedg in the charger and tried to turn it back on right away. I doubt it's anything serious. I never turn my vita off either (Except when it runs out of battery, and I don't bother charging it for half a year)

The vita does not overheat so this should not really cause any problems. What were you doing when it happened, though?

Also I would advise against keeping your vita plugged in all the time, as that ruins the battery. I used to have my phone on charge all the time and now the battery lasts for 3 hours max. If you keep your vita charging all the time, that might be the problem.

Ive had that issue but worse. I forget how i fixed it but it was basically a brick for a day. To answer the title question. It is bad to never turn things off. More specifically its bad to not lef a battery drain. The way rechargeable batteries work requires it to run down and then fully rechatge as part of its cycle. If you constantly plug something in like a phone or a laptop and never let it die. Or say your phone goes to 5% then you plug it in, it will actually lower the batteries overall capacity over time which is why people notice a drop in battery life after a year type of thing.

I was just sending a message then it cut off and the light started flashing. I had plenty of battery before it happened. Yeah I don't plug my vita up unless I get the low battery warning I just always put it in sleep mode

Edited by man_with_wdjat

Twice actually. One was playing CoD Declassified on mutiplayer while on the match I encountered a black screen and it had four asterisk and a text above saying the system shutting down. Then I got BLoD. The second was the Internet Browser. It froze and then shut off my vita. Turned it back on and BLoD.. I never encounter my vita get a BLoD while shutting down however I get a error message but this is very rarely..

I was just sending a message then it cut off and the light started flashing. I had plenty of battery before it happen. Yeah I don't plug my vita up unless I get the low battery warning I just always put it in sleep mode

If you think having it on is possibly affecting your Vita's performance in a negative way, then I'd say play it safe and turn it off from time to time. It couldn't hurt it any...

I never turn my Vita off and I also avoid letting it run out of battery completely mainly because everytime it completely drains you need to wait like 20 minutes before you can turn it back on and if you don't know this you just think the thing is broken, never had any problems so far besides why would want to turn it off in the first place just press a button and you are exactly where you were before no loading no nothing.

I'll only put it to sleep if I plan on playing it again later in the day, but I'll shut it off completely for the night. Never had a problem with it. Don't think I'd not shut it off as long as that though. I don't know much about electronics admittedly, but that can't be good for the Vita to be on that long.

• Like 1

I only turn it off when I'm done for the day. If I intend to play later in the day, I keep it in sleep mode. When I completely run out of battery while playing and have to plug it in, I have to wait five minutes before turning it off (it suspends the software, but doesn't turn off when it runs out of battery).

I turn it off completely every time. I think that is better for everything, the system, the battery, the software... But still i got the problem twice in one year so i dont think leaving it on is the problem. As long as the vita is used regularly its okay. This kind of freezes happen to all kind of equipment and that is what the recovery menu is for. Equipment without a battery has one option, pull the power cord out of the socket and wait a minute.

I never turn my Vita off and I also avoid letting it run out of battery completely mainly because everytime it completely drains you need to wait like 20 minutes before you can turn it back on and if you don't know this you just think the thing is broken, never had any problems so far besides why would want to turn it off in the first place just press a button and you are exactly where you were before no loading no nothing.

20 minutes? O.o

I can turn mine on 5 minutes after it starts charging, I rarely forget to turn it off but it does happen from time to time, never had any problems with it though

I'll turn it off when I know I'm not going to play it for a few days. Or every couple weeks, I'll leave it off overnight. I don't think it matters either way. It's not running a bunch of programs in the background like a PC, where it's good to cycle the on/off process periodically. 

This happened to me when I ran out of battery and plugedg in the charger and tried to turn it back on right away.

I had this happen to me once and ^ this is what I did to troubleshoot the issue. I'm not sure what caused it to brick but it didn't completely break on me. Honestly, I haven't heard of many defects with the Vita.

I have the VITA since day one and I had this problem once, since then everything is OK. I turn it off only when I go to sleep and almost never let it run out of battery (start charging it when the icon turns red).

I found that the battery is a lil less autonomous than before, so maybe it's better to let it run out of juice before charging.