Do you like this story?

Deluziion90

5 minutes ago, lostforever77 said:

Didn't you notice the parallels between twin mirror and true colors?

Of course, didn't wanna say because of spoilers though:

Spoiler

A child loses a father figure due to a mining company, albeit indirectly, the death is ruled an accident but the main character suspects foul play. The lead starts out isolated due to their power leading to being a social outcast, but they can eventually learn to become more socially capable with the use of their power. A love interest of the lead was caught in a mining accident which would eventually lead to the downfall of the mining company.

I JUST finished it, this is easily my favorite game from the series. It's very close to Before the Storm but its just ? "that" much better for me. I would love to see more of both Alex and Steph, however I know the story ends there, if Max and Chloe show the track record.

I will say however even though she's never been the playable character (until the upcoming DLC), Steph is probably the coolest character in the series (imo). The Devs manage to make her feel undeniable chemistry with whoever she is around and I love that. 

True Colors >= Before the Storm > 1 >>> 2

I didn't hate 2, but it was the only game in the series so far that didn't really hit me emotionally in any way, it was just a story.

Edited by Skurkitty
  • Like 1

I havnt yet started true colors yet but I just finished marathoning the games and I e come up with some theories about them I didn't notice before when I first played through and just got the 1st time played part 2

After playing before the storm I honestly think that Max's power did not cause the storm in part 1 atleast not directly like it seemed. I noticed Rachel amber had power over the elements and I think that if max saves Chloe Rachel's spirit sees that Chloe is finally free of the ties holding her in the town so Rachel's spirit let's the storm loose destroying the town that ended up destroying her maxes power just helped free Chloe of the town

As for lis2 I think it's less about racism more about a commentary on police like here's what I saw

A cop stops to investigate 2 kids fighting draws a gun on kids who are unarmed ends up killing a guy and h and his car get tossed

Here's the thing the police automatically persue 2 kids which doesn't have logic there's no way a 9 year old and a mid teen could flip a car and throw that officer without leaving explosive scorch marks or wounding the body yet they get the blame not the officer who shot an unarmed man

Later twards the end they even flat out say as much that these kids couldn't logically be guilty of any of the crimes they are charged with there's zero evidence of their guilt besides them being present 

And yet the police hard core go after these kids and basically ignore actual criminals of all races that are hurting these kids 

What's interesting is this predates the BLM and riots and the national outcry on police transparency and how they get away with crimes in the game they wast time and man power hunting children as criminals rather than scared runaway's I mean if my parent was shot dead and I ran in fear and was suddenly hunted  as a criminal I'd probably run too

20 hours ago, breakingthegreen said:

Of course, didn't wanna say because of spoilers though:

Reveal hidden contents

A child loses a father figure due to a mining company, albeit indirectly, the death is ruled an accident but the main character suspects foul play. The lead starts out isolated due to their power leading to being a social outcast, but they can eventually learn to become more socially capable with the use of their power. A love interest of the lead was caught in a mining accident which would eventually lead to the downfall of the mining company.

A yes would've been enough

I am on Chapter 2 (just started) so maybe a bit too early to really comment. Its a slow burn for sure. In both of the previous game, the major defining event happened really early on. Hopefully this extended time spent scene-setting will pay off. Id say im intrigued rather than excited by the story so far.....

Just finished it.

Chapter 1-2 were good. But it was very jarring that people seemed to think their connection and loss of Gabe in chapter one (revealed in the early trailer so it's not a spoiler) was more important than what Alex was going through. In a game about emotions having time to internally focus on the loss of your brother was needed. Instead, the dead guy's sister's job was to take care of complete strangers and their feelings about your dead brother?

Chapter 3 was really great with their town event, same with Chapter 4.

Chapter 5 was bad.

Too many times I said out loud "what is happening?" "People wouldn't react this way."

The parts where Alex reflects on the past were really great, but dealing with her present-day situation was absolutely bad. Without any spoilers: Alex making her way to the final location was laughable and unrealistic, the group reaction to Alex showing up was almost like she wasn't there to half the people, their discussion, the reasoning for why Typhon was doing what they did, it was all so so bad and unrealistic in a game that's supposed to be grounded with strong relationships. Not much of it makes sense. Especially the Typhon motive. It's like they wanted a big emotional impact, but couldn't make it work and just said "uhhh how about we put it on this character to surprise the players cause reasons?"

True colors is a good game and better than LiS2, but so far nothing comes close to LiS1.

I think LiS1 stands out because it's more relatable we didn't go to a snooty art prep school where kids are having drunk parties with teachers at the school, but we know what it's like to be friends with some of those kids shown in the game, to be picked on, to confront a bully or be bullied, to grow a friendship out of nothing, to help a classmate in troubled times, etc. Max and Chloe were always together which helped the impact of the last episode's choice become stronger. Where True Colors main connection felt like it was a daiting sim between hunky I care too much small town simple life park ranger or everything-nerd culture punk-rock no flaws indy gurrl. Even with Ryan and Steph being good characters, they didn't do more than who do you want to date? Even the impact of choices and consequences didn't feel as lasting as they did in LiS1. 

Edited by MrPhrips
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 1-2 had my interest. Chapter 3 is boring AF. I won't lie- this is exceedingly boring. I do not find the plot that interesting at all. The other two games had more of my attention. I wish there was a skip dialogue option. I honestly just want the plat at this rate. The other two games were a lot of fun. This however, is not. I am glad that I did not buy it. I rented mine from gamefly. Happy it has a free PS5 upgrade... but I will most likely pass as I have no desire to replay this game again at all

Edited by sealightbreeze
  • Like 1

I love this series but everything about this game just felt like Deck Nine trying to emulate Life is Strange 1. At the end I just felt disappointed more than anything. I feel like they need to break the mold and do their own thing with this series, similar to what DontNod did with Life is Strange 2 (my personal favorite of the series).

I had mixed feelings about this. I felt it was slow-burning for a start but really started to get into its stride later on. Chapter 3 isnt as inconsequential as people make out, it does alot of subtle teasing and laying foundations for what is to follow. I take on board some of what was said about Chapter 5 by the last poster, some of it was unwieldy and unrealistic. Not entirely sure it is worth the full price and it isnt as good as LiS 1 but LiS 1 was groundbreaking and people have to accept it will never be repeated again....so where does the series go from here? Im not sure, id like to see it maybe carry on with the same characters once in a while....

Ok, after beating the game my final thoughts are this: It has a good story. Sad, but good plot. Chapter 3 and 4 are completely still pointless. I really wish there was a way to skip over or speed up the boring af dialogue though. I decided to go after the plat for the PS5 version after all (speed run) but the story is lacking. I understand the points of chapters 1-2, and 5. But to me 3-4 are completely a waste of time and have nothing whatsoever to do with the main plot except the tail end of chapter 4. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2021 at 3:58 AM, Skurkitty said:

I JUST finished it, this is easily my favorite game from the series. It's very close to Before the Storm but its just ? "that" much better for me. I would love to see more of both Alex and Steph, however I know the story ends there, if Max and Chloe show the track record.

I will say however even though she's never been the playable character (until the upcoming DLC), Steph is probably the coolest character in the series (imo). The Devs manage to make her feel undeniable chemistry with whoever she is around and I love that. 

True Colors >= Before the Storm > 1 >>> 2

I didn't hate 2, but it was the only game in the series so far that didn't really hit me emotionally in any way, it was just a story.

Naahhh.. there is just not that feeling of impending doom, like it was in the first title.. It's just slice of life for most of the game.. the first entry atleast had a purpose
BtS > LiS 1 >>>> LiS 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LiS 2

The second title was a piece of shit though

Edited by Demortuus

11 hours ago, Demortuus said:

Naahhh.. there is just not that feeling of impending doom, like it was in the first title.. It's just slice of life for most of the game.. the first entry atleast had a purpose.

I think I preferred 3 BECAUSE it wasn't such an extreme choice. The game was full of emotions and in the end you get this choice to just... live life with your love interest (Steph obviously, best non protag character). 1 was kill one person or hundreds, 2 was... well everything was awful in 2, there wasn't a good ending imo. It felt good in 3 to have these highs and lows, and betrayals, but in the end Alex gets her peace. Something she hasn't had in like a decade.

It's all perspective in the end, to each their own and such. ?

• 5 months later...

Story for me wasn't extremely bad but it wasn't mind blowing either.

On 22.11.2021 at 9:30 AM, Skurkitty said:

but in the end Alex gets her peace. Something she hasn't had in like a decade.

That is why I liked this game and why I think game didn't need to have any big boom ending. 

• 6 months later...

I somewhat agree with you. I don’t think it’s a bad game or story. However it hasn’t gripped me like the other games have. Life is strange is one of my top favourite game series and usually I feel so invested but something is lacking in this game and I can’t pinpoint it. I’ve had this game since it first came out and have yet to finish it as of the end of 2022. However I’m determined now to finish it this week. 

• 3 months later...

I personally found it to be really bland and boring.

Ive only played 1 and BtS and they’re both far superior to this, though I’ll admit the setting itself is bloody gorgeous, though the fact you basically explore a single street and like 5 buildings for the entire game is lame.

I hated the over-arching ‘mystery’, it was so weak, I was far more interested in Alex’s interactions with Ryan, Steph, Riley, Mac and Eleanor, though outside of the first two the others over underwhelmingly developed, though I did like the way the game explored Eleanor’s dementia. Devastating sequence.

Gameplay-wise it was a drag, it just wasn’t interesting enough, it dragged on so much at points, the entirety of Chapter 3 was god-awful, started off cute but within 10 minutes I was over the gimmick.

It looks gorgeous, but it’s so hollow. The choices really mean fuck all throughout the game bar who you enter in a relationship with and the most you see your choices affect things is the meeting right at the end.

Hugely disappointing experience, and even at only 6 hours it still felt far too long due to how boring it was. Easy Platinum at least.

All I’ll say is I won’t buy another LiS from these developers. DontNod were far better with their stories even if the slang Max and the other characters in 1 and BtS was cringeworthy, that game felt like your choices mattered and was so fun overall. 

• 1 month later...

I kinda thought the story was fun and relaxing.

Nothing too complex and a good option for a calm evening after work.

I REALLY loved the characters and the atmosphere.

The voice acting is top-notch, too.

The last episode, though... Meh; the flashback-thing has never been... my thing.?

Still, a lovely experience and a wonderful game.