Grown Men/Women Shouldn’t Waste Their Lives Playing Video Games

TrophyChief

Some people read books, play sports, watch movies in their free time. And yet video games are something to be ashamed of? I'm sure in the context of a deadbeat with no job, it would be bad. But I know plenty of people that play video games in their free time, and they have a full-time job plus children, in some cases grandchildren. Frankly, what people do in their free time isn't anyone's business. I live by a simple rule, you do you, I do me, and we don't bother each other. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrTrofyHunter said:

I’m an adult, I find balance, and I make my own personal decisions to how much time, money, and the kinds of games I choose to play. 

Maybe someone out there in the community can relate. Game on, friends. 

No fren, switch on the TV, consume the lies and propaganda. Be brainwashed. Become a normie. You know it makes sense. 

Seriously though, watch a movie and see how it affects you. I honestly can't watch TV/movies without having to leave the room after a certain amount of time anymore. Once you stop watching that box you start to feel very uneasy in its presence. 

It's passive - video games are the ultimate form of entertainment (and possibly art). You are in control and they combine music, art, literature, gameplay, narrative and also you versus the AI the developers made.

Video games are the ultimate culmination of William Blake's vision of a synthesis of all art forms.

Keep at it mate. Any attempt to shame vidya is probably an MSM campaign to make you switch the idiot box back on again.

Another of my hobbies is climbing 6,000m+ mountains. It's dangerous, uses huge amounts of fossil fuels and is incredibly reckless. You can make anything sound bad if you want to spin it that way. I could also say, I spend money in otherwise marginalised communities, get really fit training for the trips so I'm not a strain on the hospitals and help the transportation industry employ hundreds of thousands of people. Spin is everything.  

Personally? I just want to play video games in peace.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, realm722 said:

thats-bait-tom-hardy.gif

The author is a woman who doesn't have the best reputation, to say the least. For her audience and supporters, that article will land well. For her opposers, it'll get posted around everywhere as it was voted super highly on Reddit and now here just so a bunch of gamers can say "don't tell me what to do with my time." The absolute BEST thing you can do with these sorts of people is to ignore them. Any screaming grifter with outrageous claims who don't actually have any power (unlike say, a politician) should be left in the landfill you found them. Don't post them. Don't angrily tweet or email them. Leave them in their misery and carry on with your life. Nobody needs to justify what they enjoy to others as long as it's not hurting anyone or anything. 

This.

This is just rage bait that I've seen numerous times before in different forms. Yeah, people ragging on other people's hobbies and interests isn't cool, but if it's just randos on the internet, it can easily be ignored. Sadly, responding to it at all, even just to state the obvious like "I enjoy my hobby and it isn't hurting anyone" just gives these "content creators" and such the attention and subsequent clicks they want.

• Like 3

As someone who grew up in the 1990s, the common theme back then, especially in western culture, was kids who constantly played video games were generally referred to as geeks. Nerds. Kids who were considered different from other kids.

It was commonplace for middle aged parents back then to try to convince their kids to play outside, to not stare into a screen so many hours each day. Looking back, I think I understood why they did that. Because gaming as a whole was niche. It wasn't just kids, my dad who is now 67 years old played a lot of strategy games on our old Windows 95. He was already in his 40s when he was gaming, and I sort of picked up my habits from him.

Today, a good majority of gamers are well in their 30s and 40s, as this thread indicates. A good number of trophy hunters have long since graduated college, started a family and work a regular job. They have the disposable income to buy hundreds and thousands of games. I don't see too many college kids on these forums, there's a few but not many at all. Their peers need to focus more on studies and starting a future, possibly with a partner with a new career to look forward. I'm sure most of you who already posted on this thread have done all of that.

Long story short, I had to move back in with family a couple years back and right now I'm hoping the COVID-19 pandemic to die down eventually so I don't have to keep wearing my mask every time I go out. I've been gaming a bit more in recent times for this reason.

This article is your typical bullshit from somebody who probably never understood video games. It's nothing new. This writer sounds like she would be better off writing for Fox News. Probably where she belongs.

• Like 3