Level 27-29 Solo Coop on Nightmare (1.08)

J_E_B_B

On 9/11/2021 at 3:19 PM, J_E_B_B said:

Extremely tough to do, and I failed many times, but here you guys go!

Feel free to use this as a template for your runs. Hopefully it helps! My nightmare trophy has sadly not popped yet, but I’m going to run through some levels I’m concerned I didn’t do. Hopefully it works!

Edit: Ran through about 15 random maps again on nightmare and the platinum popped on map 26 (:

curious as to why you did 27-29 back to back? i ran 28-29 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, offdutysuperhero said:

curious as to why you did 27-29 back to back? i ran 28-29 

I have heard that you can start at 28 and still be fully set up for 29, but the guide I watched started at 27, so I got very comfortable with that and didn’t want to change. 

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Is there anybody on YouTube who has ALL the levels done in Nightmare Co-Op on version 1.08? I uploaded the first three levels on my channel but all I did was brute force the damn things. No real strategy.

I did all of the levels on 1.08, many of them solo, but my strategy for nearly all of them was brute forcing, so unfortunately I can’t help much in terms of strategy besides some specific things on certain levels.

You can find some people on YouTube who show how to beat every level on nightmare for the pc version, but they assume that you are always carrying over weapons from the previous levels, which is usually unrealistic. 

What you would want is a pistol start guide for each level, but for most levels, pistol start is extremely unrealistic without dying many times, which is why these guides barely exist. This is why I brute forced most levels, as it is often the only option.

Anyways, if you need tips on a certain level, feel free to ask. There are sometimes little things that can make brute forcing easier. 

13 minutes ago, J_E_B_B said:

I did all of the levels on 1.08, many of them solo, but my strategy for nearly all of them was brute forcing, so unfortunately I can’t help much in terms of strategy besides some specific things on certain levels.

You can find some people on YouTube who show how to beat every level on nightmare for the pc version, but they assume that you are always carrying over weapons from the previous levels, which is usually unrealistic. 

What you would want is a pistol start guide for each level, but for most levels, pistol start is extremely unrealistic without dying many times, which is why these guides barely exist. This is why I brute forced most levels, as it is often the only option.

Anyways, if you need tips on a certain level, feel free to ask. There are sometimes little things that can make brute forcing easier. 

This is understandably a very old game that has stood the test of time. Can't think of much anything else from back then that has really garnered a sizable audience as that of DOOM and DOOM 2.

I did the first DOOM, only episode 3 and episode 4 posed any real problems on Nightmare. DOOM 2 is a different story. When you have to die a couple hundred times just to beat one level, it becomes tedious as hell.

The first problematic level is Level 7, where the Mancubus makes its debut along with the mechanized spiders. You're supposed to kill everything on the screen for the platform in the middle to spawn a couple steps so you can use the switch to finish the level. Issue is I generally leave one or two enemies left, because as everybody knows, enemies respawn on Nightmare. Spent over a hour straight just to beat Level 7. And the game just gets a lot harder from there on out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

This is understandably a very old game that has stood the test of time. Can't think of much anything else from back then that has really garnered a sizable audience as that of DOOM and DOOM 2.

I did the first DOOM, only episode 3 and episode 4 posed any real problems on Nightmare. DOOM 2 is a different story. When you have to die a couple hundred times just to beat one level, it becomes tedious as hell.

The first problematic level is Level 7, where the Mancubus makes its debut along with the mechanized spiders. You're supposed to kill everything on the screen for the platform in the middle to spawn a couple steps so you can use the switch to finish the level. Issue is I generally leave one or two enemies left, because as everybody knows, enemies respawn on Nightmare. Spent over a hour straight just to beat Level 7. And the game just gets a lot harder from there on out.

Level 7 was one of the levels I did with a partner. Was way easier and only took around 5 minutes since you can kill twice the amount of enemies as a single person would. And yes, the game certainly does not back down from difficulty from there on out haha. Many of these levels are ridiculous with the amount of deaths you accumulate.

2 hours ago, J_E_B_B said:

Level 7 was one of the levels I did with a partner. Was way easier and only took around 5 minutes since you can kill twice the amount of enemies as a single person would. And yes, the game certainly does not back down from difficulty from there on out haha. Many of these levels are ridiculous with the amount of deaths you accumulate.

Honestly man, anybody with the DOOM 2 platinum deserves a round of applause. But if someone were to do all of the original DOOM 2 levels in Nightmare CO-OP completely on their own, without a second player on version 1.08, you deserve goddamn respect.

Something I'm still trying to work on, but it gets tiring.

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Honestly man, anybody with the DOOM 2 platinum deserves a round of applause. But if someone were to do all of the original DOOM 2 levels in Nightmare CO-OP completely on their own, without a second player on version 1.08, you deserve goddamn respect.

Something I'm still trying to work on, but it gets tiring.

Which levels do you still need to do?

• 1 month later...

I've been practicing level 29 myself on my second account to see if I'm actually able to get the Platinum because I know many people say that this is the hardest level in the game. I've been attempting this level for about 5 hours and it's quite possibly one of the most tilting and unfair things in gaming. I've gotten to the final stretch twice (the last section where you have to run straight to the goal). While I haven't officially finished the level, I guess it somewhat confirms that I am capable of completing level 29 with the 1.07 update. So if I'm able to beat this level does that mean I have what it takes to get the Platinum? @J_E_B_B

FEBWJFvXsAswkij?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Flubberwunked said:

I've been practicing level 29 myself on my second account to see if I'm actually able to get the Platinum because I know many people say that this is the hardest level in the game. I've been attempting this level for about 5 hours and it's quite possibly one of the most tilting and unfair things in gaming. I've gotten to the final stretch twice (the last section where you have to run straight to the goal). While I haven't officially finished the level, I guess it somewhat confirms that I am capable of completing level 29 with the 1.07 update. So if I'm able to beat this level does that mean I have what it takes to get the Platinum? @J_E_B_B

EVERYTHING moves far too fast for me to react to on Nightmare Co-op. With my declining reflexes I may eventually just throw in the towel on this one, because the stress and pure luck you need for this trophy simply isn't worth it.

If you were able to play this on ONE SCREEN in single player on Nightmare, with the ability to PAUSE, I can see myself going after this trophy. But having to play this in split screen just makes everything more difficult to see, including the Imp projectiles which move extremely fast on Nightmare.

The DOOM 2 platinum and the Nightmare Co-Op trophy are my white whales in trophy hunting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flubberwunked said:

Yes, I would say that if you can complete level 29 on Nightmare, you are capable of completing any other level, but there will still be many annoying and difficult ones. I would recommend for some of the levels to have a real 2nd player with the job of clearing out enemies, as some of the levels are nearly impossible solo and require immense luck. I believe one of these levels was called Bloodfalls, which is absolutely atrocious to do solo due to the respawn times.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Flubberwunked said:

Ok so things turned out kinda weird. I actually beat the level yesterday on my alt account (Link) and I was absolutely buzzing. I started the game on my main account today and I attempted level 29 to see if I could get it done first try. I seriously did level 29 on nightmare on my first attempt on my main account. The run was extremely scuffed, but I somehow still did it. If you practice this level in single player it will seriously help you. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlplDYxV1O0

I got hit into the blue armour pretty early by a fireball, but even with that huge mistake, I still finished. I zoomed in the video to make things look better. I'll upload all the levels on nightmare whenever I get them done. (On Map 12 right now) Most levels are piss easy compared to level 29, so I guess starting with that level was the right thing to do. Thanks @J_E_B_B for giving me the idea of attempting this myself. The first time I saw your video I was gobsmacked lol. Also @AJ_Radio I know you can do this. It's very annoying to attempt as one small mistake could mess up your run, but it's still doable. Just practice the level in single player over a period of time and you'll gradually get better and be able to take on the level in co-op.

Good job man! That is no easy task. It was a really good run and you implemented different strategies that seemed to work really well. I planned on using the 2nd player to distract enemies near the end too, but always got too nervous by that point and it flew past my mind. I just have one question, how do you play coop without the splitscreen? I never knew that was a feature, or is it just a certain way of recording it? 

EDIT: Nevermind, I reread what you said and now know that you zoomed in.

Edited by J_E_B_B
  • Like 2

On 11/14/2021 at 6:13 PM, Flubberwunked said:

-snip-

I get where you’re saying, but spending all that time on a single trophy, you sometimes have to ask, “Is it really worth it”?

I’ve done some exceptionally hard stuff. Super Meat Boy platinum. Getting all the trophies in Capcom Arcade Cabinet. I’m definitely not saying beating DOOM 2 isn’t virtually impossible in Nightmare Co-op, far from it. But I tend to draw a line on stuff that hinges a lot on luck. 

It’s arguably best if you can get four players in a game, but this doesn’t have real multiplayer so you’re forced to use Share Play in order to hook up with others. 

The first 10 - 12 levels aren’t that bad, but the remaining levels is a consistent increase in difficulty. Starting with level 20 onward things get real crazy. It’s definitely a lot easier to get a second player to help you. But that isn’t an option for most of us considering you need a pretty fast internet connection for Share Play. 

Really wish you can get this trophy in single player on Nightmare, with an option to pause. Would make things significantly easier and far more manageable.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Ppl say Wolfnstin 2 mein Leben is a 10/10 plat.

Well let me tell you, these ppl haven’t beat level 29 on update 1.08 Nightmare solo “coop”

yet.

This is easily one of my hardest platinums to date.

This shit was brutal, highly recommended to stay away from this platinum trophy unless you are secretly the doom slayer.

Btw, I did this using the level 28-29 method.

It would be much easier if you did 27-29 but tbh it’s to tedious that way.

I recommend you run tru solo level 28 for your weapons then make a save on 29(again solo play)

And just spend a hr or so practicing level 29.

Trust me it helps a lot.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 8:08 AM, Wild-Arms-R said:

Ppl say Wolfnstin 2 mein Leben is a 10/10 plat.

Well let me tell you, these ppl haven’t beat level 29 on update 1.08 Nightmare solo “coop”

yet.

This is easily one of my hardest platinums to date.

This shit was brutal, highly recommended to stay away from this platinum trophy unless you are secretly the doom slayer.

Btw, I did this using the level 28-29 method.

It would be much easier if you did 27-29 but tbh it’s to tedious that way.

I recommend you run tru solo level 28 for your weapons then make a save on 29(again solo play)

And just spend a hr or so practicing level 29.

Trust me it helps a lot.

You basically have to play every level on Ultra Violence difficulty or at the least learn the level layouts before you attempt Nightmare. There is skill involved yes, but much of what this comes down to is luck. The enemy AI isn't always predictable.

It's a constant uphill climb from level 20 onwards.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

You basically have to play every level on Ultra Violence difficulty or at the least learn the level layouts before you attempt Nightmare. There is skill involved yes, but much of what this comes down to is luck. The enemy AI isn't always predictable.

It's a constant uphill climb from level 20 onwards.

I’m gonna have to mostly agree on most of this.

You really should just do your 1st run on UV for the original 30 levels to build up your skill and learn the layouts and routes.

I think Doom 2 is highly skill dependent tho, it’s a game that requires a skill set  that us trophy hunter don’t normally have(speed running)

Cus that what nightmare mostly is, a low key speed mode.

5 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

I’m gonna have to mostly agree on most of this.

You really should just do your 1st run on UV for the original 30 levels to build up your skill and learn the layouts and routes.

I think Doom 2 is highly skill dependent tho, it’s a game that requires a skill set  that us trophy hunter don’t normally have(speed running)

Cus that what nightmare mostly is, a low key speed mode.

There are old speedruns still viewable on YouTube. 

It will likely take a solid 20 - 30 hours, if not more.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I've been scouring the web for months now trying to find a way to beat NM Coop and I've not had any luck yet. The strat basically right now is just try until you get it, your sanity be damned.

Just wanted to let you all know that I joined the DOOM discord a long time ago and I sent the DOOM Community Manager a message about this issue (1.08). He acknowledged it but I haven't heard any updates about it. Maybe you people can get something out of the discord, not many people have this trophy, which is a shame cause it's a very good port of DOOM II. 

I think the solution to this should be getting Bethesda/Id Software to change back or adjust the difficulty on Co-Op to make the trophy achievable. My idea would be turning off Respawning Demons on Co-Op exclusively, but that's just what I'd do. 

I'm glad I found this thread, not many people seem to care about this and it's nice to see others wrecking their brains trying to get this Plat.

Good luck everyone

• Like 2