What do you think about the new matchmaking?

Since the HELLRAISER Update the Ranking System as well as the Matchmaking System changed. I think everyone noticed that by now.

After playing for a few days I wonder what you think about the changes?

I really have problems enjoying the game so far. Me and my sister carry the whole game and the other two survivors don't do sh*t. It feels like they are putting two "average" players with two "beginners" for an "average/starting killer".

From +20 rounds every single one ended with us having +20.000 blood points while the others barely reach 8.000.

I don't know what they do but it's not playing the game properly.

And everyone knows it's hard to escape when all you do is try saving the others and in the end two players have to repair three/four gens.

Would like to know if you experience the same. Now that they set all the "Ranks" back I find it even more annoying.

Personally, I like the changes. The matches me and my fiance get are pretty good for the most part, teammates and killers we face included. I do agree that it does feel like we're doing more than our teammates when it comes to gens and rescues oddly enough.

The killers seem less tunnel/campy, and most of my teammates actually try to do the objective and usually help one another. I had a Feng and Leon go out of their way to make sure my fiance and I got out alive from a slugging/camping huntress. However, we do get the occasional weird teammates who don't seem like they quite know what's going on, as if they'd just turned the game on for the first time. The teammates seem very hit or miss right now, but the killers we face make the matches fun.

Playing killer has been nothing but misery for me, though, but that's how it's always been. It loves putting me with iridescent/gold rank survivors, even though my killer rank is still in Ash due to only playing killer for trophies. Please stop, bhvr, I don't want to be here. My highest killer rank was 9 before the update, so I'm not sure why my hidden mmr thinks I belong way up there.

All in all, it's mostly enjoyable on the survivor side (for me and my fiance personally). I'm sure once the system is in play for a while, things will get better for everyone. It just needs time to figure out where to put everyone.

Edit: After playing survivor for 6 hours today it seems pretty good still. I was matched against players who were similar skill level to myself. I only had a couple of teammates who were clearly new, but they might've been with the other person. Killers were good, too. I was never matched against anyone who felt too easy or anything.

Edited by monochrome
  • Like 1

@monochrome thanks for your comment.

Yeah you're definitely right about it taking some time to find a good balance and now I'm less afraid of it working hearing that at least one person has a rather good experience with the changes ?

I figured playing with a third person makes it better for my sister and me. We'll see how that'll work out the next few days.

And I can't believe you have less camper ? that's like every killer I encounter for the last WEEKS ?

Edited by milk-aholic

Unfortunately not a big fan of it. Even lead me to my first rage quit today. I mean I play solo and I don't know if I am just unlucky, but for the last 20 games I managed to escape once. The last game was on Autowreckers Haven where I did 4 out of 5 gens, meanwhile my teammates didn't do anything (except occasionally get hooked). The last survivor beside me just waited in a locker until the killer would find me to escape through the hatch. Well, after a 2 minutes chase the killer got me and the other guy didn't even bother to use the time to fix the last gen. It was kind of a regular sight today.

I mean I wouldn't say I am a good survivor, but I also get very good and difficult killers. So I don't know. I guess I am going to take a break from the game, because tonights session really sucked all fun out of it for me or I will just play killer again. 

8 hours ago, SwissLeviathan90 said:

[...] where I did 4 out of 5 gens, meanwhile my teammates didn't do anything (except occasionally get hooked). The last survivor beside me just waited in a locker until the killer would find me to escape through the hatch. Well, after a 2 minutes chase the killer got me and the other guy didn't even bother to use the time to fix the last gen.

Totally feel that one.

My sister and I decided to play a few rounds solo to watch what the matchmaking would be like and it's exactly the same.

I quit after 5 rounds but my sister told me it just got worse the longer she played. Always doin' everything on your own, helping the others survive and the moment the killer got you not one single soul feels obligated to help you out - what ends in all of them dying because all they do is hide in lockers and wait for better times to come.

On 9/18/2021 at 5:14 AM, milk-aholic said:

Totally feel that one.

My sister and I decided to play a few rounds solo to watch what the matchmaking would be like and it's exactly the same.

I quit after 5 rounds but my sister told me it just got worse the longer she played. Always doin' everything on your own, helping the others survive and the moment the killer got you not one single soul feels obligated to help you out - what ends in all of them dying because all they do is hide in lockers and wait for better times to come.

I got lucky so far with solo survivors. They weren’t too bad and I usually run blast mine. I was surprised people would come to the gen I put in on to help finish it or work on it when I’m in chase. The gen glows yellow when you use it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so for everybody who might be interested in this topic:

I played Bubba/Leatherface for the first time ever - I'm Ash IV because I never play Killer and I'm really bad at it.

Just had a match with three Iridescent II survivors. I didn't down one. I don't know how that is fair. 

Wasn't the idea of changing the matchmaking that you get weak survivors for starter killer? Yeah don't see any of that sh*t. 

They don't fix matchmaking I really don't wanna play no more. I'm sick of this.

3 hours ago, milk-aholic said:

Okay so for everybody who might be interested in this topic:

I played Bubba/Leatherface for the first time ever - I'm Ash IV because I never play Killer and I'm really bad at it.

Just had a match with three Iridescent II survivors. I didn't down one. I don't know how that is fair. 

Wasn't the idea of changing the matchmaking that you get weak survivors for starter killer? Yeah don't see any of that sh*t. 

They don't fix matchmaking I really don't wanna play no more. I'm sick of this.

Well Ash and Iridescent doesn't matter anymore. That is just there overall rank which they said doesn't matter anymore. They say it goes off a hidden MMR which I wish they would show but you know they won't. Honestly though  I don't think the games are to bad it's just my killer queue times are so long now. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BigORonnie said:

Well Ash and Iridescent doesn't matter anymore. That is just there overall rank which they said doesn't matter anymore. They say it goes off a hidden MMR which I wish they would show but you know they won't. Honestly though  I don't think the games are to bad it's just my killer queue times are so long now. 

Yeah I'm aware but you still gotta play some kind of decent to be an Iridescent rank so that can't quite mix with someone who's like one of the worst killers that ever existed ? Like seriously I didn't enter the game to go finish these guys but to at least hit them a few times and maaaaaybe hook one or two. 

But I had no chance at all. 

It would really be interesting how the matchmaking happens - or what it should be like and what it's actually like.

I get the feeling the more I play the better it gets with survivor (had actually a few REALLY good rounds that I haven't had ever, but it doesn't make sense that you have to play like 100 matches (since update) so you slowly start getting matches that actually work quite good). 

I don't expect the game to never have bad matches and there will always be some black sheep player who's either useless or an complete a**hole, but it should be playable and you should have at least some positive moments.

Don't have any issues for finding games as killer though. My "apartment mate" is playing Freddy as main and he also finds games super fast. 

What a strange game DBD is ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New matchmaking isn't really much different unless you play killer. If you play SWF, even with just a buddy, the matchmaking will place a priority on getting you in with SWF and they might be around your rank/grade or they might not, as long as the system finds a SWF group (not always the case but 99% of the time). Even if you're a solo player, the only thing the system does it attempt to find x3 other survivors of a similar skillset to you and put you in a lobby with them (which the old matchmaking already did) with a killer who is also around your experience level. On killer side, every killer has their own grade so if you play and slay a lot with the Huntress for example you'll be paired with experienced survivors while if you've never touched another killer (like say a brand new released killer you just bought) you'll get matches with new players/bonehead survivors. Basically, this really only aided killers and even then only slightly as the elephant in the room (SWF) completely fucks up the matchmaking as usual. It's impossible to establish a level playing field when you have 5 different players with varying experience and even worse when some of these players are in split SWF groups like duos or 3 mans in addition to finding a killer suitable to match the average skillset between them all.

I think killers are now finding it a hell of a lot easier to de-rank and run riot if they want to. I should know because I've done it several times to get some trophies done. Survivors only rank up or down once per match based on whether they escape or not but killers can drop four places at once if they let everybody escape as each gate escape is counted as a separate loss.

I think a lot of players are confusing what player rank and MMR rank are in making sense of it too. Seeing as you can't de-pip from your player rank any more, there's no incentive not to be throwing matches or even DCing. I have had tons of DCs since this came in because there's just no penalty for it besides a four minute timeout. 

On 14.10.2021 at 3:59 AM, Archequalis said:

[...] they might be around your rank/grade or they might not, as long as the system finds a SWF group (not always the case but 99% of the time). Even if you're a solo player, the only thing the system does it attempt to find x3 other survivors of a similar skillset [...]

But that's exactly my point. Because it does not. A similar skillset would mean that we leave with around the a similar amount of blood points or that they know how to not mess up every single skill check. But we encounter a lot of people who get killed immediately because they just run around completely clueless or they hide and do nothing (no gens, no rescuing - nothing). That's not how my sister and I play at all. We rescue a lot and try even if it's kinda hopeless - we at least try. I just had a few good team mates till now. 

That's the whole point of the discussion.

On 14.10.2021 at 3:59 AM, Archequalis said:

On killer side, every killer has their own grade so if you play and slay a lot with the Huntress for example you'll be paired with experienced survivors while if you've never touched another killer (like say a brand new released killer you just bought) you'll get matches with new players/bonehead survivors.

And again, that's not how I am experiencing things. I know that this was the idea of the new matchmaking but it doesn't work at all. My room mate who's playing killer more often has better matchmaking. Me as complete noob - like seriously I am REALLY bad - I have players I don't even stand a chance. Before I played as killer as well and with bad players I do have a chance. Now I just get tea bagged and shit because they make fun of me (another problem dbd has with this toxic player behavior but if you wanna be a asshole feel free to play like one). And I don't wanna waste my time starting 20 rounds to finally have one round I at least can play a little bit. Because that's not how it should be.

Thanks for your comment though.

10 hours ago, LC-Fraggers said:

I think killers are now finding it a hell of a lot easier to de-rank and run riot if they want to. I should know because I've done it several times to get some trophies done. Survivors only rank up or down once per match based on whether they escape or not but killers can drop four places at once if they let everybody escape as each gate escape is counted as a separate loss.

I think a lot of players are confusing what player rank and MMR rank are in making sense of it too. Seeing as you can't de-pip from your player rank any more, there's no incentive not to be throwing matches or even DCing. I have had tons of DCs since this came in because there's just no penalty for it besides a four minute timeout. 

But the rank aka grad does nothing for the matchmaking per se (yes I know I mentioned it myself but more in a "I am so bad I would never reach a rank this high, and you gotta play a lot and decent to get to Iridescent" kinda way).

I completely didn't understand your comment till now, silly me.

Okay so yeah that's pretty shitty but I don't have the problem with the killers but my fellow team mates - or the survivors when I try "playing" "killer".

But wouldn't disconnecting count as a loss though? I don't know I DCed like 5 times since I started playing in 2018 ?

But I get your point and that indeed would throw off the complete intended matchmaking ?

Edited by milk-aholic

2 minutes ago, milk-aholic said:

But wouldn't disconnecting count as a loss though? I don't know I DCed like 5 times since I started playing in 2018 1f602.png

It would, exactly. That's my point. If you DC, you're not even going to lose player rank any more. You can comfortably get to Red Rank 1, throw as many matches as you like and the only thing that will happen is your MMR will drop. You could even be scoring like 27k+ BP a match as a survivor; as long as you don't escape, it'll still count as a loss.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LC-Fraggers said:

It would, exactly. That's my point. If you DC, you're not even going to lose player rank any more. You can comfortably get to Red Rank 1, throw as many matches as you like and the only thing that will happen is your MMR will drop. You could even be scoring like 27k+ BP a match as a survivor; as long as you don't escape, it'll still count as a loss.

Oh I see, I see. Yes that explains a lot. Don't know what the appeal of that would be though (except maybe some trophies on the killer side - as survivor ... I dunno). But thanks for that insight!! Never thought of that as a possibility! 

I play with far less Urban Evaders so that’s a massive plus. My biggest issue with mmr it the killer perk variety. Everyone is try Harding with 4 gen slowdowns making every game feel the same. Also killer rage quit a lot more now since the can’t loose “rank” anymore. As soon as they notice they are about to loose they baby rage and dc. 

My escape rate has gone up drastically since mmr. I’m being matched with competent teammates 75% of my matches. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 7:23 PM, SwissLeviathan90 said:

Unfortunately not a big fan of it. Even lead me to my first rage quit today. I mean I play solo and I don't know if I am just unlucky, but for the last 20 games I managed to escape once. The last game was on Autowreckers Haven where I did 4 out of 5 gens, meanwhile my teammates didn't do anything (except occasionally get hooked). The last survivor beside me just waited in a locker until the killer would find me to escape through the hatch. Well, after a 2 minutes chase the killer got me and the other guy didn't even bother to use the time to fix the last gen. It was kind of a regular sight today.

I mean I wouldn't say I am a good survivor, but I also get very good and difficult killers. So I don't know. I guess I am going to take a break from the game, because tonights session really sucked all fun out of it for me or I will just play killer again. 

When this happens to me and I notice that no one else is doing anything I purposely bring the killer to them lol. I know I'm a jerk, but I don't get people who load this game up to not try. I will take them to any lockers people are sitting in too.

• 2 years later...
On 1/9/2024 at 9:58 PM, St-Lonit said:

I'm a beginner and literally only get matched with extremely good players. Even as a killer I get decimated, this matchmaking is a fun vacuum

Yeah it doesn’t take many wins to get your MMR up there. Time of day you play also affect the poeple you play against. Late night usually forces you against higher MMR player since only

no lifers play in the middle of the night. 

Everyone starts at 800MMR and it only takes like 10-15 good games to go all the way to 1600MMR and when you’re there you get matched with people +\- 400MMR. 

On 1/11/2024 at 9:48 AM, Quink666 said:

Yeah it doesn’t take many wins to get your MMR up there. Time of day you play also affect the poeple you play against. Late night usually forces you against higher MMR player since only

no lifers play in the middle of the night. 

Everyone starts at 800MMR and it only takes like 10-15 good games to go all the way to 1600MMR and when you’re there you get matched with people +\- 400MMR. 

yeah have noticed how matchmaking is often a complete coinflip, managed to get a few wins as killer but only 2 as a survivor, like ever. Are you saying that by getting high MMR I'll get matched with people that have below average?

On 1/12/2024 at 10:26 AM, St-Lonit said:

yeah have noticed how matchmaking is often a complete coinflip, managed to get a few wins as killer but only 2 as a survivor, like ever. Are you saying that by getting high MMR I'll get matched with people that have below average?

The longer you are in que the bigger the MMR difference can be. But usually most people reach the soft cap of 1600 after just a few games. After that you will match with anyone from 1200 to 2000 MMR. That gap get bigger the longer you wait in que as I mentioned. The reason for that is to keep que times a low as possible.

That’s why playing really late at night can truly suck. After beeing in que for 10 minutes you get matched with whoever else is awake no matter the MMR.   This is the reason why in a single match you can have people who seem very new to the game while another is a literal god at the game.