Online Servers officially announced permanently closed.

JamieCon20

59 minutes ago, black__bunny said:

I'm not a big tech geek or work in IT so forgive the possible nieve question, but is there a difference between ps3 and ps4 servers? As time goes on, the ps3 seems to have an increasing amount of hacked games (LBP, RDR, GTA IV & V, CoD: WaW are the ones i'm directly aware of) but I don't really hear about that many hacked servers on ps4 (LBP3, Titanfall 2). Is there a difference between the server or system security on each console?

Thank you in advance to anyone that help clarify this for me!

Yes, there is a pretty massive difference in capability of all levels between PS3 and PS4/5. In every possible aspect. PS3 server capabilities are much, much more limited. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Why are the servers ok with LBP3 only on PS4, and not on PS3? Why are the PS5 servers ok for the new sackboy game?

I still think it's a bit suspect to be honest, and probably just an excuse to kill support for the old games.

Various versions of the game DLC got delisted before any "hacking" began, and then the LBP.me went too.

Sounds more like planned obsolescence to me.

Funny you ask all this since they're actually the same servers. Very strange, isn't it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moostache7 said:

Funny you ask all this since they're actually the same servers. Very strange, isn't it.

No, they’re not the same servers. Stop spreading garbage about things you know nothing about. Different servers can share resources and not be the same servers.

Edited by DaivRules
  • Like 3

It's a shame to see such a beloved game shut down. Hope they'd add some way to still get the plat, but I don't know if that's possible.

5 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

No, they’re not the same servers. Stop spreading garbage about things you know nothing about. Difference servers can share resources and not be the same servers.

Can't blame them for thinking that, since the LittleBigPlanet Twitter says the same thing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Toast_On_Cheese said:

Can't blame them for thinking that, since the LittleBigPlanet Twitter says the same thing.

Yes, the PS3 LBP3 servers share the same servers as 1 + 2, but they were referencing the PS4 servers. 

And it’s an oversimplified Twitter answer about getting online with all the games. Of course it’s not going to explain the entire server architecture. 

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Yes, the PS3 LBP3 servers share the same servers as 1 + 2, but they were referencing the PS4 servers. 

And it’s an oversimplified Twitter answer about getting online with all the games. Of course it’s not going to explain the entire server architecture. 

Didn't know you were a dev, that's pretty cool

2 hours ago, Toast_On_Cheese said:

It's a shame to see such a beloved game shut down. Hope they'd add some way to still get the plat, but I don't know if that's possible.

Almost like I wasn't making anything up and there's no reason for detractors to still be here in this thread. Nothing to gain from shooting down others here.

I bought LBP 1 and 2 when Sony announced they would shut down the PS3 and PSV stores. I had never have a PS3 before that and the fear of missing out on everything I hadn't tried during the past 10 years pushed me to finally get the system. Then they reverse the decision and almost immediately, the servers for LBP go down.

Leaving the MP Trophies aside, what really bothers me is the terrible communication, or even lackthereof.

• Like 3

I liked playing this game around 2009 on my first PSN account before I lost the password to it. I never planned on getting the platinum but it makes me sad that the servers are going down since I had so much fun playing online with my friends after school and until like 8 PM which I thought was late at the time lol. Hearing the ending song to LBP2 makes me tear up thinking of all the fun levels I played online and made together with people. LBP will be missed but thankfully the PS4 servers are still up. I never really liked LBP3 with the addition of the bird and other characters but Sackboy's Adventure has been pretty cool so far. It doesn't have quite the same charm and I don't like SackBoy having a voice but it's a pretty good platformer. Dreams by Media Molecule is also pretty great but I haven't tried the story mode yet as I got the game before it was added. Along with the ancient shutdown of Playstation Home and the more recent scare of the PS3 store as a whole, it's sad to think that the PS3 generation truly is dying. I might need to get more physical games for it soon before they shut the store down for real in a few years and a lot of the games skyrocket in price...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joey-Ravn said:

I bought LBP 1 and 2 when Sony announced they would shut down the PS3 and PSV stores. I had never have a PS3 before that and the fear of missing out on everything I hadn't tried during the past 10 years pushed me to finally get the system. Then they reverse the decision and almost immediately, the servers for LBP go down.

Leaving the MP Trophies aside, what really bothers me is the terrible communication, or even lackthereof.

I'm sure they'll give a 3 months heads up before the next time they're hacked and forced to take down the servers. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Floorkiller74 said:

Well, good thing we started the whining about people whining before they have even started whining. 

Inception.

Oh, and to the thread as a whole, you guys are fighting an awful lot among yourselves about this. Reminds me of gamefaqs.

Regardless of your feelings on the matter, the people who are defending Sony didn't shut down the servers, and the people who are denigrating Sony didn't hack the servers. Being pissed off at Sony isn't going to matter one iota, and defending Sony isn't winning any brownie points. 

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

As disappointing as this is for some people, it was always a possibility. 
People only seem to really care about a game when the servers are shut down. They were up for years and years. If you didn’t get them, then tough luck. But it shouldn’t affect your enjoyment of what is still a great game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roosta_141 said:

As disappointing as this is for some people, it was always a possibility. 
People only seem to really care about a game when the servers are shut down. They were up for years and years. If you didn’t get them, then tough luck. But it shouldn’t affect your enjoyment of what is still a great game. 

Yeah just because the platinum in now unobtainable doesn't affect how fun the game's story mode or local co-op is. Of course, it still affects the whole online component of playing other peoples cool levels which sucks but there's still plenty of enjoyment that can be found within this game's offline modes.

I think a bigger issue is for games that are ONLY online that get their servers shutdown. Like Deformers.

• Like 1

Let this be a gentle reminder to go back and finish the online trophies in all your PS3 games. I got lucky and finished getting the 100% on LBP2 in February of this year and got the last remaining DLC trophies for LBP1 last December. I cut it real close there. I'm glad I had the drive to go back and finish LBP just before the server got hacked.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joey-Ravn said:

If it makes you feel good, go ahead, but there is absolutely no need to be snide with your reply.

If you actually are interested in having a conversation, and not just look "cool" with a sarcastic comment, my main problem is that up until June, the official Twitter account was claiming that the servers would be reinstated sooner or later, that Trophy hunters would be able to get all the Trophies, etc. Then they stop giving updates for three months and out of the blue the situation is so dire that everything needs to be burned down. They could have said something like "Hey, we are trying our best, but the issues are harder to solve than we initially thought. We'll try to get this back up and running, but we can't promise anything." That would have been enough to let people know that things weren't as temporary and light as they had said before. Couple that with the absolute shitshow that was Sony's messaging about the PS3 and PSV stores... I hope you can see why I'm disappointed in the way these companies have been communicating.

Not that you actually give a damn, I guess. You got your cool post, though. I consider myself owned. Really makes you want to interact with others in these forums.

Maybe they wanted to repair servers in a first time, but then turned off everything PS3-PSV related so they save problems in the future. I don't think they aren't capable of solve this kind of problems but things like this seems to be unnecessary expensive and time consuming. It's better to have engineers working on actual games than the dead and obsolete ones.

I'm not saying that you are correct when you say they don't know how to communicate their status. In fact, there are not many companies that even bring back the servers once things like this happens. 

3 hours ago, Citer01 said:

You guys are so stupid, believing every information thats out there, there is no actual confirmed reason as to why the servers are permantely closed. It is true that lpb had problems with hackers exploiting things but its not confirmed, plus the servers were never ddosed. They were literally taken down by the devs themselves to fix the issues.

I mean it definitely is confirmed that was the reason why the servers are messed up. There's hundreds and hundreds of tweets about it. 

19 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

LittleBigPlanet is an old game. Game has been around since the early days of trophy hunting. I have no sympathy for people who cry and bitch they couldn't get the online trophies in time. You guys literally had over a decade to do the online.

The only people who should be blamed is yourselves.

Except this entire argument falls apart when you remind yourself that the servers were attacked by hackers and not put down like majority of servers.

Unannounced server shutdowns are awful and I never understood the argument "well, it's old, so you shouldn't have started it, you had time"

And yes, I know this is less of a server shutdown and more "we can't fix it, so we'll have to kill it", but it doesn't fix your argument at all.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Varhur said:

Except this entire argument falls apart when you remind yourself that the servers were attacked by hackers and not put down like majority of servers.

Unannounced server shutdowns are awful and I never understood the argument "well, it's old, so you shouldn't have started it, you had time"

And yes, I know this is less of a server shutdown and more "we can't fix it, so we'll have to kill it", but it doesn't fix your argument at all.

Not really. Anyone is kidding themselves if they don't go for all the online trophies in PS3 games asap. I missed out on getting the online stuff in LBP1, and yeah, that's on me. I could have probably gotten it done within a month of casually trying, but I didn't prioritize it. 

I get your point that a server announcement would have helped people focus on it, but this is more of an outlier. Still, the point is we all had over a decade to go for the online stuff in this game. It sucks for those of us that missed it, but life goes on. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StacFace92 said:

I'd imagine any kids trophy hunting are doing it to stretch out the playtime on their games until their parents buy more. Similar to going for a 100% save file in PS2 days. If they are on here, I doubt they're signing up with their real ages (forums are normally around 13+ to join from memory).

The point wasn't that the site has a ton of under 10s though. It was that plenty of people haven't had a decade of time where they could have done the online & just put it off. Not being born yet is the most extreme example, but I did also mention lack of access or knowledge.

I do agree with the sentiment that if people have old games they want online trophies in, they should just do them rather than waiting for a shutdown announcement. But there's always going to be some people who weren't just sat waiting, who were doing other old games, just discovered the game/series, just got into trophy hunting etc.

Kids don't have disposable income like we do. I worked plenty of jobs with overtime which resulted in a sizeable amount of income to buy games. Most minors under the age of 18 still have to rely on their parents to give them money and support. Like most kids, I didn't exactly have the money to just go out and buy games. Contrary to what people today think, games back in the PS2 era were actually more expensive than PS5 games are today. $69.99 is the launch price in 2021 dollars for PS5 games. I had to pay $49.99 to $59.99 for PS2 games. Change that value into 2021 dollars and you actually had to pay more money.

Your other point isn't good either. I bought Max Payne 3 at the beginning of August, saw the online will be going down, and decided to jump straight onto the online trophies. Even if I couldn't get the online done in time or I put it off, it was a risk I was willing to take.

You always take a risk with old games with online servers. If you don't care about trophies, then this stuff shouldn't matter to you all that much.

The best thing we can hope for is LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet 2 getting re-released with trophy support. Probably be more shameless remasters sure, but it's an idea.

• Like 1