Online Servers officially announced permanently closed.

JamieCon20

It was just announced today that the online servers for the PS3 and Vita LittleBigPlanet games will remain permanently closed, making the online trophies now unobtainable for:

-  LittleBigPlanet

-  LittleBigPlanet 2

-  LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS3)

-  LittleBigPlanet Vita

https://mobile.twitter.com/LittleBigPlanet/status/1437415883752845318

Edited by DaivRules
Embedded image of tweet
  • Like 2

Only trouble I may have with getting the Platinum in LBP2 will be getting all prize bubbles. I have most of LBP2 done, it's just the collectibles I am concerned about now. I don't know how many require more than one person to obtain. If not I'll just move onto LBP3 on PS4 and try to knock that out before something happens to that.

13 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

What? Do you think they're just going to phone up the hackers that are constantly bombarding the servers and ask them to pause for a few days so that some trophy hunters can hop in and clean up their trophy lists?

No, I expect them to have the capability to migrate servers. Other games on other platforms and also this SAME platform have done this in recent years with no problems. The GameSpy bankruptcy problem is the perfect case study for this and proves it's possible.

Not claiming it's easy at all. But I'm not going to pay for games that have the experience pulled out from under me suddenly because of bad actors and incompetence from the developers to have solutions.

2 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

You've had how many years to complete online components?  PS3/vita in general have been sunseting for a couple years now - hell, it's been what, 6 months since they tried to shut the store down?  How long have the servers been unstable/being attacked? 

The warning signs were all there, you chose to ignore them.

My problem isn't even the trophies. I enjoy continuing to play the game with all features intact. Can't do that at all now. We were told at the start of the DDoS that they would bring back everything. Led us on falsely to believe they'd all be brought back. Could have easily told us it wasn't feasible from the outset so we could be aware of the situation, instead awful transparency on their end.

You don't have to agree but it seems like you're not even the target audience and have no stake, we'll never come to agree if that's the case.

• Like 2

Just now, RNumbers said:

So what's the difference between the PS4 servers that are coming back up and the PS3 and Vita servers that are staying down?

I'm going to guess that the coding/capabilities for the PS4 servers doesn't share some of the limitations that the older PS3 and Vita servers have and it was possible to implement a solution that would work that the older servers just aren't capable of running.

3 minutes ago, Moostache7 said:

Led us on falsely to believe they'd all be brought back. Could have easily told us it wasn't feasible from the outset so we could be aware of the situation, instead awful transparency on their end.

And it's not at all possible that they really were testing solutions to see if they could bring them back up?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RNumbers said:

So what's the difference between the PS4 servers that are coming back up and the PS3 and Vita servers that are staying down?

I'm sure the infrastructure is not the same, but it can't be a matter of Sony/PlayStation barring updates because Gearbox was allowed to migrate the lost Borderlands servers to their own proprietary service with the rereleased games and Cross Save features in updates released as late as the end of last year, and the LBP3 PS4 server maintenance was held on PS3 titles as well (several people have confirmed tests that they were able to log on during that only lasted an hour or so).

Sounds like a corporate or budgeting decision.

F

Just now, DaivRules said:

And it's not at all possible that they really were testing solutions to see if they could bring them back up?

If they were then they need to tell us why it failed. There's no transparency on this issue, that's my whole point, one day it gets hacked, ~7 months later it's gone. If they had given us warning Id accept this and never have posted in this thread; if they told us "Sony won't let us do this" or "here's a comparison of the player base the month before we went down, so we can't justify it" or something pragmatic other than just "it's gone now, sorry" then there'd be no concern.

If this was a corporate or budgeting issue that leaves consumers the chance to negotiate then I want to know. Like I said earlier, if there's a petition that is reasonable I will sign it. Warner bros. accepted the terms for both MKX Invasions and Shadow of Mordor missions on all platforms, and they're an even bigger company that would be theoretically more difficult to communicate with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moostache7 said:

If they were then they need to tell us why it failed. There's no transparency on this issue, that's my whole point, one day it gets hacked, ~7 months later it's gone. If they had given us warning Id accept this and never have posted in this thread; if they told us "Sony won't let us do this" or "here's a comparison of the player base the month before we went down, so we can't justify it" or something pragmatic other than just "it's gone now, sorry" then there'd be no concern.

If this was a corporate or budgeting issue that leaves consumers the chance to negotiate then I want to know. Like I said earlier, if there's a petition that is reasonable I will sign it. Warner bros. accepted the terms for both MKX Invasions and Shadow of Mordor missions on all platforms, and they're an even bigger company that would be theoretically more difficult to communicate with.

What would it take for you to consider that perhaps your perception might be wrong?

• Like 3

Damn, that's really sad. We all knew it was coming eventually, but didn't expect it so soon. Thanks hacker.

I should be able to platinum LBP1 (no complete, though, without someone else with the DLC...which might not even be possible without the network). Maybe LBP2, I'd have to look.

But LBP3 will be right out. Hadn't really dug into that glitchfest yet.

I haven't played any of the LBP games for years now and wasn't planning on platinuming any of them, but this is still saddening news to me. LBP was the first game I got with my PS3 when I got it, and I remember having countless hours of fun with it. It's a series that I'll always remain fond of.

I'm guessing there was no saving the PS3 and Vita LBP online infrastructures. I'm vaguely aware of the hacking/DDOSing that's been going on for several months now. It's a shame something like this can even happen, and completely destroy the online servers.

Here's hoping they maybe one day port the story mode levels from all previous LBP games, as well as all previous existing levels/creations uploaded to the servers to a new title in the series on PS5 at some point. Though I definitely won't get my hopes up too high.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

What would it take for you to consider that perhaps your perception might be wrong?

Now you're just being a contrarion, I don't even know what you want me to do or say.

"You're right, I'm sowwy"? "Ok you win, I shouldn't ask companies I pay money to do things for that money"?

Like if there's a chance to negotiate with them along with others who I know agree with me then I would like those people who agree with me to consider what we can do, that's what I'm here for. If you don't agree, then cool. Have a good day.