Destructor-8's Ultimate Racing Challenge

Destructor-8

Excellent work man! Furi is a great completion to have, and you made it. ? Glad I was able to be helpful, I’m thankful. ? It was a good read! 

In any case, best of luck with Dirt Rally 2.0, it’s a tough one but you’ve got the skills for it! And I’ve seen you doing CarX as well, you’ll get through the grind with time. You got this! 

• Like 3

Great work on Furi there m'dude!

I've had this one on the back-burner forever, but I've made a commitment to myself that I am going to play it this year - procrastination be damned!

I expect I'll be firing this thread back up to give me some tips (and maybe a little hope) where the game starts inevitably rolling me! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

Awesome work on Furi, man. And a very complete write-up of your thoughts on it as well. I was able to get a very good grasp of what the game is about. I've seen it going on sale more than a few times and it's one of those titles I have yet to get, but it does loo sick and really fun to try out. Not sure if my reflexes will be up for it lol, but I do want to try out as well. xD

Best of luck with Car X Drift Racing Online. :D This is one game I have my eyes on as well. Doesn't look too hard difficulty-wise but the platinum is very grindy according to one guide I remember seeing. I'm also not too fond of the online part but if it can be done mostly solo, then all the better, lol. 

• Like 1

Des, I love this project that you've set up. Congratulations on your success so far. I've felt your pain with some of these so to see that so many of your other accomplishments were that much harder is daunting. Great job.

I hope you enjoy Bloodborne. The atmosphere is really unique. I recommend using the Hunter Axe weapon but am always interested to hear others' giving advice for hard games if it conflicts with my own! ?

Hopefully you put up your review of Grip soon. That game has been parked on my backburner for a while. I know I'll be hitting you up for tips and encouragement at some point over the next six months when I pick it back up again.

Also: thanks for linking videos in this thread, a video speaks 10,000 words.

• Like 4

Thanks for such a detailed write up on what to expect Des! I bought Dirt Rally 2.0 goty edition which inc all of the DLC in the sale last night (it’s only £8.99 in the store guys!) as I’m also wanting to attempt this mammoth task at some point. You’re videos and tips will for sure be really helpful.

I think the most daunting aspect is keeping a good enough pace for such a long duration, some of the stages are an extraordinary length! Good luck with the other events :)

• Like 1

Awesome write up mate and thanks for the motivation! I enjoyed reading your explanations for the different scenarios especially now that I’ve experienced them myself. I’m probably going to try out “Pedal to the Metal” this week since I’ve done all the scenarios with the Impreza S4, so I’m used to the car by now. 

You’ve made some interesting points, I’m curious about where you would rank 2.0 once you’ve completed it. It is also one of the best DLC’s I’ve experienced so far, an amazing tribute to Colin McRae, and the different requirements for each scenario made it a lot more interesting, since we are getting a small glimpse of what Colin went through in his career. 

I would also like to add a little bit of advice for people who would like to approach this game sooner or later - more especially about the Flatout DLC: it may be tempting to restart a stage often when you roll out of the stage or hit a small object. If you can still drive the car I’d suggest just riding it out again and complete the whole stage regardless of the time. Following pace notes is important but having track knowledge is essential in my opinion. Every meter or kilometer is gained knowledge where you should pinpoint your mistakes and which areas are dangerous - where you should watch out for next time. Some of these stages can be very long so by driving through the whole stage a couple of times you start to know how far you can push each section, making you more confident.

• Like 2

Well the part where you compare it to Trackmania Turbo and where you say the Black Series isn’t close to the difficulty isn’t very motivating. ? I struggled with a lot of those tracks.

I played the base game a little bit, the free Ps Plus version, and the length of the tracks is a bit off putting. I would prefer shorter tracks. 

Also I prefer arcade racers instead of sim racers.

That said. I just bought the GOTY. So let’s just go for it! I don’t know when exactly but I think I’ll start it within a month or so. I want to clean up and do some other games first.

Edited by Baker
  • Like 2

Hey @Destructor-8, once again congrats on finishing Furi. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the game, I still have very fond memories of it. If you look at my list, you can actually recognize something.. It is the first game I played where I went into it knowing that it would pose a challenge. From the creation of my own PSN account to the point where I actually played Furi, I was following my old gaming habits of playing mostly (J/A)RPGs, I played a couple of chill games to test them etc... Then I saw Furi and knew that I had to play it. 

Completing the game felt so thrilling, and the game was - back then - unlike anything I had played thus far. It is safe to say that it is the one game that expanded my horizons and helped shift my gaming preferences to what they are today :) So, I'm always happy when I see people enjoying the game as well. 

Also, thanks a ton for the detailed write-up on Dirt Rally 2.0! I am actually on the same page as @Baker. Thinking back about Trackmania, the tracks I hated the most were multilaps, due to their lenght. I'm hence also put off a bit by the lenght of the tracks in Dirt Rally, but that won't prevent me from playing the game :)

I also own the edition with all DLCs included. The thing is... You can download Trackmania and start playing. You can download Furi and start playing. You can download Splasher and start playing... 

With Dirt Rally 2.0... you download the game, are supposed to watch a video-series explaining the basics of Rally, can adjust every single fucking parameter both in your controller inputs and the cars themselves, etc... It's like you need to visit a Master's course before being able to play the game ? It's a bit overwhelming, and the reason I haven't started playing properly yet. I am not in the right headspace at the moment to start this mammuth of a game, but will in due time for sure. 

Good luck to you in your return to the game! :)  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Destructor-8 said:

Cheers dude! Yeah you are doing great so you'll be done way before I get much further in it. I think you will enjoy that one quite a lot also & I will be interested to see how you compare it to the rest since it's one I've done already. Yeah, I still might change what I think but I will have to see although I think it could be a preference thing at this point. It's a really good tribute though & it has made it into one of the best racing games ever.

So I did the “Pedal to the Metal” challenge yesterday and I really enjoy it a lot just like you predicted, one of the best trophies in the game. Revisiting Newhouse Bridge was a pleasure and with the combination of the S4 Rally made it even better - it literally requires you to push the pedal to the metal ?

As for your question about how that challenge compares to the rest of the scenarios, it’s hard for me to say. Most ppl  including yourself did this trophy very early or even before doing the Flatout scenarios so ultimately it’s a tough challenge to start with, but since I’ve already done so many scenarios by now and gotten to know the Scotland stages and the Impreza, I personally didn’t find Pedal to the Metal that hard. If I had to be as objective as possible I think that challenge is demanding and the time is not that easy, but there are harder scenarios like some of the harder multi stages in my personal opinion. 

• Like 3

Such a detailed write-up on DiRT Rally 2.0. Now I know for sure what to expect of the Flaout DLC if I ever get there. I already got all of the PS4 DiRT games under my profile but I'll be taking it easy at first with DiRT Rally and DiRT 4 before getting into the later games. Needless to say, they look in incredibly well-crafted simcade rally racing experiences. I remember playing the DiRT 2 & 3 games on the PS3 back then and even trying a bit of the Colin Mcrae rally games on PC back in the day as well, and if they're anything to go by, I'm sure the newest games are going to be just as great.

I just need to free myself from the suffering with these prestige drift events in NFS 2015 before I can do anything else as far as racing, lol. xD

On 17/1/2022 at 2:40 AM, Destructor-8 said:

Also, it needs to be said. That jump at 6:18 was downright epic! ☝️xD

• Like 4

On 18/01/2022 at 0:46 PM, Arcesius said:

Hey @Destructor-8, once again congrats on finishing Furi. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the game, I still have very fond memories of it. If you look at my list, you can actually recognize something.. It is the first game I played where I went into it knowing that it would pose a challenge. From the creation of my own PSN account to the point where I actually played Furi, I was following my old gaming habits of playing mostly (J/A)RPGs, I played a couple of chill games to test them etc... Then I saw Furi and knew that I had to play it. 

Completing the game felt so thrilling, and the game was - back then - unlike anything I had played thus far. It is safe to say that it is the one game that expanded my horizons and helped shift my gaming preferences to what they are today :) So, I'm always happy when I see people enjoying the game as well. 

Also, thanks a ton for the detailed write-up on Dirt Rally 2.0! I am actually on the same page as @Baker. Thinking back about Trackmania, the tracks I hated the most were multilaps, due to their lenght. I'm hence also put off a bit by the lenght of the tracks in Dirt Rally, but that won't prevent me from playing the game :)

I also own the edition with all DLCs included. The thing is... You can download Trackmania and start playing. You can download Furi and start playing. You can download Splasher and start playing... 

With Dirt Rally 2.0... you download the game, are supposed to watch a video-series explaining the basics of Rally, can adjust every single fucking parameter both in your controller inputs and the cars themselves, etc... It's like you need to visit a Master's course before being able to play the game 1f602.png It's a bit overwhelming, and the reason I haven't started playing properly yet. I am not in the right headspace at the moment to start this mammuth of a game, but will in due time for sure. 

Good luck to you in your return to the game! :)  

Thanks dude! I know you have played quite a few games like these so I can see why this is something that you really like. It was definitely good to try something completely different out as I haven't played anything like it before. It's a top quality game.

Yeah that's cool! I know both of you thought of the game the same way & I definitely know what you mean with it. I got through quite a lot of the game finding it good fun before taking awhile on some of the last ones that I needed. I wanted to eventually just be done on the game lol.

Yeah it does take awhile to get into it as I was the same with it, although I played a few similar games before deciding to go for it. I think both of you will really enjoy the challenge that it offers as once you are fully into it then you will be wanting to get better at it. I always find it overwhelming whenever I start a new event in the game but I get really into it once I adjust to it. There's so much more to learn in it than any other racing game since you have to know the entire track in order to push as much as you can. There has been moments where I've destroyed a tire by going over a rock or I've launched the car over a bump only to slam right into a tree lol. I would usually get pissed off with that shit in other racing games however in this one I accept it since it's a big part of the learning process since I need to know the optimal line that I can take & how fast I can go. It does take a lot out of you though once you beat an event & that's part of why I went off it. I wanted to have a go at it first to see how I would do & I enjoyed it so much more than I expected. I had other games that I needed to get back to as well though. I will try as best I can when I get back to it.

On 18/01/2022 at 0:59 PM, Don_carlito94 said:

So I did the “Pedal to the Metal” challenge yesterday and I really enjoy it a lot just like you predicted, one of the best trophies in the game. Revisiting Newhouse Bridge was a pleasure and with the combination of the S4 Rally made it even better - it literally requires you to push the pedal to the metal 1f604.png

As for your question about how that challenge compares to the rest of the scenarios, it’s hard for me to say. Most ppl  including yourself did this trophy very early or even before doing the Flatout scenarios so ultimately it’s a tough challenge to start with, but since I’ve already done so many scenarios by now and gotten to know the Scotland stages and the Impreza, I personally didn’t find Pedal to the Metal that hard. If I had to be as objective as possible I think that challenge is demanding and the time is not that easy, but there are harder scenarios like some of the harder multi stages in my personal opinion. 

Yeah that was some of the most fun that I've had in a racing game so I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's one of the more favourite things recently especially since it was so challenging & fun. I'm going to find quite a few events a lot harder as the track & car combination is such a huge aspect when it comes to preference in stuff like this. The harder events that I've done so far were some of the most fun in the game however some of the ones that I've yet to try are going to take a lot of effort to do. I know it's generally seen as one of the more challenging things in the game since it requires a fast time on that track although the car is one of the better ones. I am interested to know what you think of the game when it comes to some of the other difficult stuff that you have done. Nice on getting that done too!

On 18/01/2022 at 8:35 PM, Honor_Hand said:

Such a detailed write-up on DiRT Rally 2.0. Now I know for sure what to expect of the Flaout DLC if I ever get there. I already got all of the PS4 DiRT games under my profile but I'll be taking it easy at first with DiRT Rally and DiRT 4 before getting into the later games. Needless to say, they look in incredibly well-crafted simcade rally racing experiences. I remember playing the DiRT 2 & 3 games on the PS3 back then and even trying a bit of the Colin Mcrae rally games on PC back in the day as well, and if they're anything to go by, I'm sure the newest games are going to be just as great.

I just need to free myself from the suffering with these prestige drift events in NFS 2015 before I can do anything else as far as racing, lol. xD

Also, it needs to be said. That jump at 6:18 was downright epic! 261d.pngxD

I'm glad you like it & hopefully it was useful for you. Yeah I definitely recommend doing those games first as I did that too & it helped going into it. The quality is definitely above most of the other games out there & visually I think it's the best by far. Yeah I know what you mean although once you are done then you will be glad it's over. I'm sure you'll get it done soon. Oh yeah that jump was fantastic especially as it's quite far into it haha.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Good progress dude ? .. I feel the same way about Wales, it is a very fun location in general. Don't worry too much about the later Wales events, while 93 is not the hardest in that location, you will revisit many of the same stages repeatedly in Wales - from my experience it got easier and easier after the first multi stage event. The times are also quite lenient in general from what I remember. 

You had some pretty good entries and exits through some of the sharp corners in Argentina 1994 such as the one in 0:33 - a tricky one. You are definitely right about being able to gain time if you push it during the straights, you can also lose time if being slow through the sharp corners though. Nice job with this one ? .. Good luck with the next set of scenarios, the multi stages starts getting longer pretty soon, and again I look forward to read about your thoughts on the upcoming scenarios :) 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Destructor-8 said:

I have taken awhile to get back to you on this although I still have yet to do an update on what I have been finishing off or making progress in. I haven't been back on the game for awhile as I had other games going on at the same time so thought I'd come back to it a bit later. Yeah I would say Wales is definitely one of my favourite locations in the game although my absolute favourite is Finland which is probably why I didn't find it as hard as I thought. I think I still have the fastest times on Finland whenever I look at others times who have gone for the trophy lol. I know there's a few in Wales that I've yet to do which could take awhile so I will have to see how I go with it. I don't exactly put in the fastest times on Wales like I do on Finland but I do know it well enough that it shouldn't take too long to know what I'm doing on it. It's nice you say that about Wales anyway & it helps a lot so it would be great if it's another Finland where it won't take long at all. I still have a way to go to get the trophy but quite a few of the others who did it have said similar to what you have so I'll just do what I can.

I don't blame you for picking Finland as your favorite, it's very satisfying to nail those jumps in Finland. I also didn't struggle too much with Finland, probably because of the experience from Dirt Rally 1, also personally I tend to find shorter stages easier in the Flatout DLC. While the times on the shorter stages are tighter, you don't have to memorize that much - stage wise. I reckon you'll find the later Wales scenarios fun to tackle, I had such a blast with Wales, I was so pumped each time one of the scenarios showed up - the final Wales event was the best one in my opinion. 

I will do another update eventually when I get back at it along with Assetto as I will be doing that one right after lol. I'm quite comfortable with Assetto since I have already done one of the hotlaps that not many have been able to do. I probably didn't mention this but right after I did it I went to have a go at all the other hardest ones & I was pretty comfortable on each one so I know that I won't be on many of the hotlaps for too long.

That's nice to hear, if you have the skill to gold Clear Ahead without exploit, you can pretty much conquer the plat with time. That is not to say some of the others will be easy, I personally struggled with some of the Nordschleife ones the most (both hotlaps and alien race), but yea you'll get through this no doubt about that.

I started Elden Ring only recently since I have tried out a few of the Souls games recently with one being Sekiro that I did enjoy quite a lot so I will be getting that at some point as well. I was never really too interested in the Souls games although now I would like to so I will need to get Sekiro now that I have been playing quite a lot of Elden Ring this week. I think part of the interest was also to do with reading what both @Copanele & @DrBloodmoney had to say about the game. I'm really enjoying it so far & it has to be one of the best games I have played in recent times since there's so much to do in it. I haven't really done that much in the game as well so it will be awhile before I finish it. I will definitely be trying out more of the Souls games from now on. It also probably helps that both Sekiro & Elden Ring don't seem anywhere as punishing as something like Armored Core: Verdict Day from what I have tried so far. It helps to actually have fun with both games although the challenge is definitely still there so I'm just going to keep trying to get better at these games. The challenge of some of those World Bosses from earlier this week made even Vanquish seem like nothing & that game is tough as shit. I still have yet to do hardcore mode lol.

I see you've been playing Elden Ring a lot lately, hopefully this will open the door for other Souls games for you in the future, there are some great games as you will maybe soon find out. If you are getting Sekiro I recommend treating the game as its own identity as opposed to comparing it with Elden Ring or Souls games. Sekiro is very different from Souls and the genre is more toward action/adventure with a bit of rhythm to it - having to perfectly time parry's, counters and jumps etc. I personally enjoyed Sekiro a lot and it was a game I continued playing even after getting the plat such as creating my own challenges and perfecting boss fights. 

• Like 1

On 16/03/2022 at 0:14 PM, Don_carlito94 said:

I don't blame you for picking Finland as your favorite, it's very satisfying to nail those jumps in Finland. I also didn't struggle too much with Finland, probably because of the experience from Dirt Rally 1, also personally I tend to find shorter stages easier in the Flatout DLC. While the times on the shorter stages are tighter, you don't have to memorize that much - stage wise. I reckon you'll find the later Wales scenarios fun to tackle, I had such a blast with Wales, I was so pumped each time one of the scenarios showed up - the final Wales event was the best one in my opinion.

Yeah it being one of the ones that I liked the most in the last game was why I got on with it well. Yep it's easier to take risks on the shorter stages since there isn't as much to know. I think most of the shorter stages so far haven't taken long at all. It's different taking risks on the other ones though lol. That is also good you say that as I know some of those later ones are meant to be pretty tough so I will have to see how I find those. I have quite a few games that I want to finish before I get it done although I might go back to it every so often & do it bit by bit.

That's nice to hear, if you have the skill to gold Clear Ahead without exploit, you can pretty much conquer the plat with time. That is not to say some of the others will be easy, I personally struggled with some of the Nordschleife ones the most (both hotlaps and alien race), but yea you'll get through this no doubt about that.

Yeah it's something I want to get back to eventually but not had the time to get into it. I don't want to finish Assetto off quite yet so it will be awhile before I do any updates for it. Oh yeah, I will definitely take awhile on those since those are so long although most of the other hotlaps I wasn't far off after only trying each one out. I need to get some more games done before I get back to Assetto although I don't want to do it quite yet as it will be one of the last tough racers that I can do. I actually have a few racers that I will get back to soon.

I see you've been playing Elden Ring a lot lately, hopefully this will open the door for other Souls games for you in the future, there are some great games as you will maybe soon find out. If you are getting Sekiro I recommend treating the game as its own identity as opposed to comparing it with Elden Ring or Souls games. Sekiro is very different from Souls and the genre is more toward action/adventure with a bit of rhythm to it - having to perfectly time parry's, counters and jumps etc. I personally enjoyed Sekiro a lot and it was a game I continued playing even after getting the plat such as creating my own challenges and perfecting boss fights. 

I'm really enjoying it a lot plus there's so much to do in it so I don't think I will be done on it for awhile. Yeah it definitely has since I tried out a few of the games & had more fun than I thought I would. It's been really great to try out more stuff as these are just something different for a change. Oh yeah both games definitely have a lot of differences so I will remember that when I get to it. I have really been enjoying this game a lot more than most other games so I can see how a lot of time can be put into it.

Edited by Destructor-8
  • Like 1