PS5 System Software Update Launches September 15

ziggypossum

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Well, the software running on the PS5 is not the software running on the PS4. It’s entirely new software and it hasn’t been written to use themes yet. It’s not that you can no longer use them, you never could use them on a PS5 in order to no longer use them. 

Did you think they just took the PS4 OS and installed it on a PS5 and made a couple changes? It sure seems like that what a lot of people think. 

Don't be daft. Of course not. There's no reason to be rude

Edited by sealightbreeze
  • Like 2

The trophy tracker works on PS4 titles, and oh my god am I happy about that. Now I can finally see a trophy percentage complete on games where you have to collect or do actions a certain number of times. Tried it out with Cozy Grove last night. 

51 minutes ago, ArabianSwordsman said:

I kinda miss the horizontal trophy list 

I actually never had an issue with the horizontal list, but seeing the new vertical one I'm actually kind of happy they changed it. It looks pretty dang nice ?

Edited by JourneySilvers

On 9/15/2021 at 5:46 PM, dakk55 said:

Nice to see a new update on the PS5 front. I still don't see an update on using external USB drives or something similar to the PS Communities or Activities.

External HDDs have been enabled since the console launched, in regards to PS4 games. Sure, it had a few issues at launch but they were quickly fixed. As long as you use a decent drive (preferably powered), then you'll have no issues.

I have an 8tb WD Black USB 3.0 drive which has around 738 games installed on it. There's approx 680 PS4 games and the rest are PS5 backups so I can copy them over when I want to play them :)

16 minutes ago, turniplord said:

External HDDs have been enabled since the console launched, in regards to PS4 games. Sure, it had a few issues at launch but they were quickly fixed. As long as you use a decent drive (preferably powered), then you'll have no issues.

I have an 8tb WD Black USB 3.0 drive which has around 738 games installed on it. There's approx 680 PS4 games and the rest are PS5 backups so I can copy them over when I want to play them :)

I wasn't talking about external HDD's. I was talking about USB flash drives, considering a lot of people prefer to make manual backups of their saves over using Cloud.

20 minutes ago, dakk55 said:

I wasn't talking about external HDD's. I was talking about USB flash drives, considering a lot of people prefer to make manual backups of their saves over using Cloud.

Ahhh, okay. Yeah, I don't know if they'll add support for that as they clearly intentionally disabled the ability to stop people modifying their saves and possibly finding a vulnerability that allows them to hack the system. Same reason I believe the web browser has been hidden away as well. 

I really like the new vertical trophies...they look much much better to me. I Also like that when you hover over a game tile it shows you all the trophy info you need right there rather than just the percentage like it was before. 

The one thing I'm unsure of is the 3D audio through the TV. It came at just the right time as I decided to play the PS5 version of Watch Dogs: Legion. Not the best game to try it out on, I know...but to me, the ambient sounds are GREAT, traffic noise, the music from the radio, the gadget sounds...they sound like the have range now. I wouldn't say it sounds like stuff is coming from behind me or beside me like 3D audio should, but it sounds a lot better. But dialogue sounds weird. It sounds like the characters are talking through something rather than just sounding natural.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Well, the software running on the PS5 is not the software running on the PS4. It’s entirely new software and it hasn’t been written to use themes yet. It’s not that you can no longer use them, you never could use them on a PS5 in order to no longer use them. 

Did you think they just took the PS4 OS and installed it on a PS5 and made a couple changes? It sure seems like that what a lot of people think. 

DaivRules, As an owner of the XBSX one of the best things is not changing the interface much at all. Of course the hardware isn't much different on the Xbox sure and the BC is far more useful then Sony's. Maybe people that own both consoles are expecting old features too soon? The big 2 ps4 updates to allot of people are Themes and Folders. I myself was surprised in Nov 2020 to not see them let alone a web browser.

Edited by Z1MZUM

45 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

DaivRules, As an owner of the XBSX one of the best things is not changing the interface much at all. Of course the hardware isn't much different on the Xbox sure and the BC is far more useful then Sony's. Maybe people that own both consoles are expecting old features too soon? The big 2 ps4 updates to allot of people are Themes and Folders. I myself was surprised in Nov 2020 to not see them let alone a web browser.

I think the idea is not that the PS5 functions the same...but that when we think moving to the new console, you expect immediate improvements to what you already know. So it's not so much about running on the same OS, but running on a new one with the same features you came to expect out of a PlayStation OS. And in reality the PS5 has less than the PS4. 

It comes off like Sony is removing these things so that they have a reason to do firmware updates in the first place. Because I can tell you right now, for people in my shoes...it's going to be a big day when PS5 finally gets a functioning media player (hopefully one that supports x265 and proper 4K video). But this is something that should have been a thing on Day 1...it should only be getting updates at this point. But yet Sony removes it so that they can announce it as a big update one day in the future like they should be praised for their innovation that's not really innovation.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

I think the idea is not that the PS5 functions the same...but that when we think moving to the new console, you expect immediate improvements to what you already know. So it's not so much about running on the same OS, but running on a new one with the same features you came to expect out of a PlayStation OS. And in reality the PS5 has less than the PS4. 

It comes off like Sony is removing these things so that they have a reason to do firmware updates in the first place. Because I can tell you right now, for people in my shoes...it's going to be a big day when PS5 finally gets a functioning media player (hopefully one that supports x265 and proper 4K video). But this is something that should have been a thing on Day 1...it should only be getting updates at this point. But yet Sony removes it so that they can announce it as a big update one day in the future like they should be praised for their innovation that's not really innovation.

You make a good point, we have hardware so let's use it.

There is nothing on the PS5 that shits me to tears quite as much as the fact there is no web browser.

I mean nice update, we can all install an m2 now, the trophies look nice, the division of platform per game is nice.

In Beta 2.0 my external 4tb sharted itself twice, In 3.0 no problems.

4 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

DaivRules, As an owner of the XBSX one of the best things is not changing the interface much at all.

The point I feel like I’ve made but somehow I’m failing to convey: In order for Sony to “not change the interface much at all”, they would still have to code the entire code base of the OS for PS5 to look like the PS4 UI from scratch. And people just seem to have no understanding of how much work and time it takes to do something like that as well as coding in features that exist in a different codebase that can’t just be copy and pasted, they need to be written from scratch as well. 

I’m confident a lot of these things are still

coming, but getting these things right by re-creating them from scratch without breaking existing things is so much harder than people seem to understand. 

On 9/17/2021 at 7:44 PM, DaivRules said:

The point I feel like I’ve made but somehow I’m failing to convey: In order for Sony to “not change the interface much at all”, they would still have to code the entire code base of the OS for PS5 to look like the PS4 UI from scratch. And people just seem to have no understanding of how much work and time it takes to do something like that as well as coding in features that exist in a different codebase that can’t just be copy and pasted, they need to be written from scratch as well. 

I’m confident a lot of these things are still

coming, but getting these things right by re-creating them from scratch without breaking existing things is so much harder than people seem to understand. 

Your points are clear and easy to understand, what is missing is pretty basic stuff though. It doesn't need to look anything like ps4 OS, it's good it doesn't. Rewriting from scratch is part of life on a new system if you chose it to be, implementing basic changes that many Sony console owners liked is priority. Sony has been slack with any new updates and just like the PS4 and PS3 the minor updates are more like security patches for Sony themselves, also known as system improvement. Creating a folder or directory access on a BC OS really is an incredibly basic addition. I've had this console since launch and tbh find it underwhelming and these feelings are heavily based off the incredibly slow updates. Sony wants to make this safe and our wishes are on the back seat for as long as possible. Look at the trophies now, well fuck me, it's what we are familiar with anyway. What a massive burden on poor old Sony. But look it doesn't matter, this console wasn't really ready for 18 months anyway. At this stage it is little more then just a gaming console with a shop and that might seem normal in og xbox era. Yeah it's nice but I bought game pass on XBSX to play the cross platforms, currently enjoying Aragami 2. At least I can use the internet and make pins that have folders. Speaking of a browser, well you could use it on the PS5 the first few months buy using there online help that was basically a browser, change url to google and we are good to go. So clearly that another life changing difficulty for Sony,,,,,,,,,

I'm confident I might start playing PS5 games one day, Here's an idea, let us use the DS4 for PS5 games without buying an adapter? Or maybe make some pro controllers once we're over the gimmicks the Dualsense offers that I can only assume most have turned off now. IDK, wow it feels like real life now. This is another option that is so basically possible. Maybe they are deciding whether to make some dollar on the lucrative theme shop? Or god forbib let us use screenshots.

There is no real reason we should give any credit to the slow rollout, life is tough for all of us, we call the waaaambulance in these modern snow flakery times but what people are asking are basic as F for any operating system. I think they should Hire Geohot for like, idk, one hour. 

I hear what you're saying but don't buy it for a minute. 

Edited by Z1MZUM

1 hour ago, Z1MZUM said:

I hear what you're saying but don't buy it for a minute. 

You’re not buying that just because a “basic” function has been coded on different hardware in a different codebase, it can take a different amount of time to recreate that function in a new codebase on new hardware?