Thoughts on the game so far?

No longer here

10 minutes ago, victorrfuego said:

I put around 6 hours and I am already loving it, as a fan of Dishonored games, the gameplay and design already feels similar. That is good news because more Dishonored = more fun! I find the concept of the "loop" interesting and how it ties in with the narrative and gameplay. There is only much more to discover since this game encourages exploration. As of right now..... LOVING IT!

Its got some rave reviews so be interested what other people make of it...

1 minute ago, JourneySilvers said:

Im only around 2 hours into it but I can already tell that the voice actors must've had a lot of fun recording the lines. The writing mixed with the VAs performances has me laughing more than I expected 

Only 1 hour in and I already like Colt a lot. Great protagonist 

• Like 4

Definitely digging the game so far. Plays a lot like Dishonored but with less combat options and the dialog from Colt is pretty hilarious. The AI though in this game is laughably terrible almost all the time and it's not very difficult overall. I've only died 1 time in the 5-6ish hours I've played and that was just too see what would happen, playing stealth seems to be pretty OP.

I would like to know how much Arkane/Bethesda paid IGN/Gamespot/ect. for those "10/10" scores lol, at best this game is an 8ish/10, but that's just my opinion. 

Wicked game this so far. Very slick and stylish with some cool features and things to learn and its very intuitive. Loved the Dishonored games and feel at home with this already.

Nice to see a new IP/unique game also as alot of games these days albeit very good are or can feel like a rinse, repeat exercise.

Given how it plays so far, the creativity of the trophy list is going to be fun putting it into practice.

• Like 1

Hey I just want to say thank you to everyone who posted on this thread with their thoughts so far, and everyone who will post in the future. I’m very “on the fence” about getting this game, and I’ve heard mixed things from watching/reading reviews. I love Arkham studios, but the trailer just looks so bland. Glad to see y’all have been enjoying it though. ?

2 minutes ago, EightBitArtist said:

wouldnt those giving it a 10/10 also say "that's just my opinion"? the whole paid review thing doesnt really make sense here since arkane/bethesda are now microsoft owned, so microsoft isnt going to pay for great reviews of a ps5 timed exclusive.

Yea I was mainly talking shit about the paid review thing lol. I'd like to hope that shit doesn't happen, but you never really know. I just can't imagine in what world this game is a 10/10, especially with the terrible AI and recycled Dishonored mechanics. Still an awesome game overall from what I've played, but it's no where near the level of some of the other game's that have been 10's (The Last of Us 1 & 2, God of War 2018, Red Dead 2, Breathe of the Wild ect.) in the last let's say 10 years. Just my opinion though, I'm gonna keep playing it regardless cause there isn't really shit else to play for PS5 atm. 

I didn’t realize this was out already, I only just stumbled across a review on YouTube yesterday. It looked pretty interesting though. The gameplay was giving off Dishonour and Bioshock vibes and the concept of looping and gradually investigating your targets is quite unique.

I hope it’s good, I think it’s always nice to see a new IP come along with a creative idea and see it succeed. If the hype for this one continues to build I’ll definitely have to check it out.

Very good so far. Sooooo many pop up tutorial boxes and instructions, thus making the onboarding a bit cumbersome, but the voice acting and mystery was good enough to get me through it. Now that I have a better handle on the mechanics, I’m really enjoying it. 

Side note: Review sites are not paid to publish 10/10 reviews. With dozens if not hundreds of former employees out there, you’d think someone would’ve exposed it by now, no? It’s like believing the moon landing was faked or some such bull.

Edited by ZoydWheeler
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

The gameplay was giving off Dishonour and Bioshock vibes and the concept of looping and gradually investigating your targets is quite unique.

Yehp, feels like a futuristic Dishonored x Bioshock indeed, especially with the vending machines and splicer style enemies.

The loop concept and day/night cycles is excellent. Can't wait to get back to it tonight.

Game is an absolute delight.

I love everything about it: the aesthetic, the characters, the VA, the whole concept of the loop and how they managed to make it narratively and mechanically interesting and engaging. Movement and shooting feel great; jumping, double jumping, sliding, movement in general is pretty smooth.

Some trinkets and slabs can really change up how you play and how you approach a mission. Exploring is rewarded, you always find something interesting; a note, a clue, a trinket, a weapon, an alternate route. Level design is sublime.

The enemies aren't really difficult and the AI is kinda dumb, but I think it's supposed to be that way. You can still die pretty easily but getting in and out of harm's way is pretty easy to do. At times I did wish that it was harder but ultimately I think it's fine as it is. I like it that enemies aren't bullet sponges and that the difficulty comes from figuring out how to best approach each level and situation.

One of my absolute favorites of recent times. Easily my GOTY and I've played some good ass games this year (no Returnal yet but soon). Arkane games have been in my backlog for years and years but now after Deathloop I'm definitely bumping them to the top of the list.

If there's ever a Deathloop 2 I'll be buying an Xbox to play it. That's how much I liked this game.

• Like 1

6 or so hours in, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but to be honest I think I'm a bit burned out on time loops as a construct. That's not a knock on the developers, more a comment on my recent play history. It's still a really great game. Voice acting is incredible. It's dripping with style. Had it come out before Returnal I might have had to rethink my GOTY. 

• Like 1

After seeing the 478th mediocre looking trailer for Deathloop at the PS5 showcase I thought if I ever see more of this game it will be too soon. Then it launches a week later with 9/10 and 10/10 scores across the board. I think it's safe to say nobody was more shocked than me when I saw those scores after I seeing the quality of the trailers that had been released up to that point.

Glad everyone who bought it is enjoying it though! I may have to check it out down the track in a sale or hopefully it heads to PS+. My backlog is too large atm and I just picked up Tales of Arise.