Destroy All Humans 2: Reprobed

Abby_TheLastofUs

19 minutes ago, communistwookiee said:

That subtitle makes me feel a little... uncomfortable...

Pretty sure that's intentional!

I never played the 2nd one on PS2 even though I own it- a recent acquisition just to have it in my collection. Hopefully it doesn't launch a buggy mess like the last remake

I'm a little worried about this one. I personally thought the original Destroy All Humans 2 was extremely boring compared to the first game (I have the Plat for both PS2-to-PS4 versions). I was definitely hoping that if the remake of the first game worked out, they would make a whole new second game rather than remaking the original...create a whole new line of these games with a new vision. 

Hopefully the gameplay loops they created back then just translate better to modern tech.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Viper said:

I'm a little worried about this one. I personally thought the original Destroy All Humans 2 was extremely boring compared to the first game (I have the Plat for both PS2-to-PS4 versions). I was definitely hoping that if the remake of the first game worked out, they would make a whole new second game rather than remaking the original...create a whole new line of these games with a new vision. 

Hopefully the gameplay loops they created back then just translate better to modern tech.

Second game was well received enough. Maybe they'll skip the 3rd/4th games since they were both received rather poorly by the media and make a new game. Either retelling those games or retconning them.

Crypto is back to subjugate the Earth in Destroy All Humans 2! Reprobed, a remake of the PlayStation 2 and Xbox-era game originally developed by Pandemic. Like the remake of the first Destroy All Humans, Black Forest Games is handling the development duties this time around.

Set in the swinging '60s, Destroy All Humans 2 pits Crypto against the Soviet agents of the KGB as he attempts to capture, consume, and generally kill humanity. Our playable alien antagonist will have a myriad of weapons and gadgets at his disposal to complete missions. Of course, he’ll have his trusty flying saucer to wreak havoc on towns and abduct the residents for his nefarious schemes. Other weapons include the Gastro Gun, the Burrow Beast, and the Dislocator, a projectile weapon that bounces enemies far in the air and away from Crypto. Some of the technology at your disposal is being reworked to be more fun and balanced, including the previously mentioned Dislocator and the over-powered Free Love Goggles.

Black Forest promises a more diverse and populated world to decimate. Building the world for this remake wasn’t a matter of matching the exact maps from the original, but taking inspirations from the levels of Destroy All Humans 2 and bringing in modern sensibilities and techniques. Reprobed is a lot less flat and features more characters, plant life, and buildings than the original. One thing confirmed but not shown at this time is the return of two-player co-op.

Destroy All Humans 2: Reprobed will release on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC sometime in 2022. For more alien domination, check out our review of the Destroy All Humans remake 
here.

SOURCE: https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/09/17/crypto-returns-in-destroy-all-humans-2-reprobed-next-year

PHOTOS

dah2_05.jpg

dah2_06.jpg

dah2_08.jpg

dah2_09.jpg

dah2_10.jpg

dah2_01.jpg

dah2_02.jpg

dah2_03.jpg

dah2_04.jpg

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Dammit, I completely forgot to Plat the first game. I literally have just the Challenges trophy left but it was pissing me off so much that I took a break...this was back in November. 

Seriously this game needs to can those bullshit challenges. The remake was great with everything aside form that...the challenges definitely lowered the score on it for me. 

• 2 months later...

I was wondering about this one, saw it on my list the other day and thought...for it to be coming out on the 30th it has literally zero marketing. They seemed far more excited to release the first game. 

I still haven't Platted the first game...some of those challenges are a nightmare and they completely ruined an otherwise great game for me. Likely going to hold off on this one for awhile if they return. That aside though, I'd really like if they'd create a brand new game rather than remake the third one next.

Edited by Viper

• 2 weeks later...

The IGN review said the challenges are gone...you sold me right there! 

However they bring up a point that I've brought up before when it comes to remaking these old franchises...the regurgitated feeling. I think it's great that we got remakes like the first game, or Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Tony Hawk. But I feel like these games need to go the Crash route of making a brand new game in the franchise once you've done that. Use a remake to feel out the fan base, see if the interest is still there...if it's successful bring in the new wave of games. We need a proper Spyro 4...instead of possibly remaking Tony Hawk 3+4, give us a Tony Hawk 6 based on what was done so right about 1+2. And instead of just remaking Path of the Furon next...go with a brand new game, up the ante, do something we haven't seen yet. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Viper said:

The IGN review said the challenges are gone...you sold me right there! 

However they bring up a point that I've brought up before when it comes to remaking these old franchises...the regurgitated feeling. I think it's great that we got remakes like the first game, or Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Tony Hawk. But I feel like these games need to go the Crash route of making a brand new game in the franchise once you've done that. Use a remake to feel out the fan base, see if the interest is still there...if it's successful bring in the new wave of games. We need a proper Spyro 4...instead of possibly remaking Tony Hawk 3+4, give us a Tony Hawk 6 based on what was done so right about 1+2. And instead of just remaking Path of the Furon next...go with a brand new game, up the ante, do something we haven't seen yet. 

They brought back the 4 challenges from the first game but it will be DLC.

Reprobed: Challenge Accepted DLC
Test your skills in this post-launch DLC that adds all 4 Challenge Modes from the first instalment to Destroy All Humans! 2 - Reprobed. All modes playable in local splitscreen co-op!
Also included: numerous new Mutators that let you alter the rules of the game!

Edited by lordzeze

• 2 weeks later...

As a huge fan of the original, I think this is great. The tepid reviews put me off a bit, but I have to disagree with them completely. Despite having more bugs (and crashing a few times) than the DAH1 remaster, I think this is better overall due to the lack of the challenges mentioned above, and the optional mission challenges being less frustrating overall. Crypto seems to handle better too - it's just fun to play.

I do have some complaints though: 

• Some of the weapons don't feel as powerful as in the original (particularly the meteor shower and sonic boom).
  • Having to choose a specific gene blend before you can harvest people for it is cumbersome (I'm pretty sure the original just had a DNA bank that all abductions added to).
  • A minor thing, but some upgrades have been renamed for whatever reason (there definitely used to be one for Gastro called Gastroenteritis, which is now gone).
  • The game is very easy now - I managed to do the dreaded Defend Coit Tower mission on my first attempt. Difficulty options would be nice.
  • The optional mission objectives aren't particularly inspired. Things that would make you completely rethink how you do the mission (e.g. complete the mission without firing a weapon) would be better than what's currently there (e.g. destroy 5 cop cars).

The AA development sphere needs to be stepped up again, so I'm always happy to see games like this, even if they are "test the waters"-style remasters. Hopefully a completely new DAH game can be made now.

14 minutes ago, LoughNessMonster said:

As a huge fan of the original, I think this is great. The tepid reviews put me off a bit, but I have to disagree with them completely. Despite having more bugs (and crashing a few times) than the DAH1 remaster, I think this is better overall due to the lack of the challenges mentioned above, and the optional mission challenges being less frustrating overall. Crypto seems to handle better too - it's just fun to play.

I do have some complaints though: 

• Some of the weapons don't feel as powerful as in the original (particularly the meteor shower and sonic boom).
  • Having to choose a specific gene blend before you can harvest people for it is cumbersome (I'm pretty sure the original just had a DNA bank that all abductions added to).
  • A minor thing, but some upgrades have been renamed for whatever reason (there definitely used to be one for Gastro called Gastroenteritis, which is now gone).
  • The game is very easy now - I managed to do the dreaded Defend Coit Tower mission on my first attempt. Difficulty options would be nice.
  • The optional mission objectives aren't particularly inspired. Things that would make you completely rethink how you do the mission (e.g. complete the mission without firing a weapon) would be better than what's currently there (e.g. destroy 5 cop cars).

The AA development sphere needs to be stepped up again, so I'm always happy to see games like this, even if they are "test the waters"-style remasters. Hopefully a completely new DAH game can be made now.

There are difficulty options in this game. From what I remember there are 4 of them but I believe the default setting is the easiest difficulty one.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lordzeze said:

There are difficulty options in this game. From what I remember there are 4 of them but I believe the default setting is the easiest difficulty one.

You're right! I had completely forgotten about them - they ask you to pick when you start a new game :facepalm: 

Recruit, Veteran, Mercenary, Conqueror. Recruit is the default. I was playing on Veteran - have upped it now.