Is this game worth playing in 2021?

Tidus755

I platinumed the game approximately 3 weeks ago (beat it twice over a 7 year period), and I can say that it's most definitely one of the good ones. The story is entertaining, and the environments/atmosphere are great. Gameplay mechanics are pretty standard for the time, though there are some unique/fun stealth elements here and there. Driving is kind of meh, but acceptable. Has some frame rate issues here and there, but IMO it's nothing game-breaking. I also experienced the occasional graphical glitch and sound issue during the last 10% of my 2nd playthrough, but again it was nothing game-breaking. I feel obligated to mention that the game is quite violent, has a lot of foul language, and even moments of female nudity.

If you do get it, and plan on getting the platinum, be aware that you'll be doing a LOT of slow & tedious rooftop traversal. They went way too far with a handful of the trophies. But yeah, overall it's a fantastic game that's aged pretty well.

• Like 4

It's possibly one of the best games I've ever played actually and I've played alot I honestly feel that it still holds up pretty well even today and I'd kill for a port up to PS4 or ps5 just for an excuse to play and platinum it again but like a previous person said some of the stuff you need to do for platinum can take an exceedingly long time cause you gotta blow alot of stuff up but I never got bored with it I could honestly play it for days on end without boredom

• Like 4

This one has been sitting in my backlog for far too long. Started going back to clear that up this year and reckon I’ll get around to playing and hopefully earning the platinum in this in 2022 personally. Good luck with your journey, I’ve heard good things about this one for the last decade or so!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Duffcar said:

This one has been sitting in my backlog for far too long. Started going back to clear that up this year and reckon I’ll get around to playing and hopefully earning the platinum in this in 2022 personally. Good luck with your journey, I’ve heard good things about this one for the last decade or so!

I really wish the game studio hadn't closed down right afterward cause they did really well with this game it needs a revival

• Like 4

I'm playing through it now, with no nostalgic connection to it, and I absolutely love it. Just bare in mind that it's not a game that tries to be realistic, or accurate or anything. The story it pretty fun, with villains who are so comically evil that I can't help but grin whenever they're on screen. The gameplay is a bit clunky and rough around the edges, the stealth is pretty medicore, so is the Assassin's Creed-style climbing. I get the sense that the game could've used a bit more time in the oven, which makes sense with how the studio was killed off before it even came out. I would consider this a hidden gem, especially if you have a fondness for this period in gaming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tidus755 said:

As someone who cares most about the world-building and story, should I play this game?

There are tons of open-world games out there, is this one of the good ones?

Thanks for your opinions :)

This game is worth playing in 2021, 22, 23, etc.

I plan on replaying it on this account once I finish a few other titles.

Always hoped for a ps4 remaster, but that never happened 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tidus755 said:

As someone who cares most about the world-building and story, should I play this game?

There are tons of open-world games out there, is this one of the good ones?

Thanks for your opinions :)

The Saboteur is a definition of a hidden gem. That was one of the first games I ever bought for PS3 & loved it. The game is combination of Mercenaries (gunplay, over-the-top story) & Assassin's Creed (open world WWII era Paris, parkour). You should definitely play it. It was Pandemic Studios' (RIP) last game & they really gave it everything they got.

Edited by kenseizenkai
  • Like 4

The game itself holds up pretty well. I was disappointed that the game never got a sequel and that Pandemic Studios closed almost right after. From what I heard, Pandemic was working on a Mercs 3 game along with a Batman Dark Knight movie-game tie-in. It's a shame since Pandemic Studios was the one that made the good Battlefront II.

The only thing that was extremely annoying about the game were the "collectibles". Technically not collectibles but stuff like collecting shit, blowing stuff up etc. - the stuff which the district trophies are for.

There is just waaaaay too many of those and they get extremely boring, extremely quickly. I played the game like 12 years ago I think but still remember that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

The only thing that was extremely annoying about the game were the "collectibles". Technically not collectibles but stuff like collecting shit, blowing stuff up etc. - the stuff which the district trophies are for.

There is just waaaaay too many of those and they get extremely boring, extremely quickly. I played the game like 12 years ago I think but still remember that.

Haha yeah that's one of the few things keeping me from finishing it. Thankfully they are all on the map. Imagine clearing districts without those markers.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For a 2009 game it's actually good BUT let's NOT compare it with the later releases of open world games from the PS3 generation - we've had Sleeping Dogs, Mafia II and GTAV during this period and these ones are without a doubt top tier OWG. One could argue that these games may have taken a bit of inspiration from the formula or template used in The Saboteur and just added big improvements to the newer versions. 

At the start of the game we might need a bit of getting used to it but once we've all went past the ancient graphics and somehow had mastered its dated game mechanics, this game can really be a lot of fun - it's got all the elements of what we would expect in an open-world game.  It's just the grind I'm worried about and the collectibles that comes with it. I'm still halfway into the story so my worry about a grindfest might hopefully be unfounded in the end.

But yeah can't say that I'm not enjoying the game right now in 2022.  It's also a good addition to our trophy cabinets especially if you're a Playstation Legacy gamer.

Edited by Eispan
  • Like 3