Community Events and Challenges Tracker

Past

2021: Gaming by the Numbers 2021 

2021: The Revenge of 13 Plats of Halloween

2021: Didn't Half-Ass It!

2021/2022: Fall/Winter 2021/2022 Backlog Challenge

2022: Bingo Bonanza 2022

2022: Platinum Difficulty Challenge 2022

2022: Attack on Completion 2022 ( And so It Begins)

2022: Didn't Half-Ass It!

Current

2022/2023: Fall/Winter 2021/2022 Backlog Challenge

2023: Bingo Bonanza 2023

2023: Didn't Half-Ass It!

Badges

papert0wng1rl.pngpapert0wng1rl.pngKZIzG0N.jpg

Edited by papert0wng1rl
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

#39 - Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020

(the one where I won gold while wearing a pirate outfit)

Le4ef49.png

I'm a little late to the party. Tokyo 2020 games are long over now, but the prospect of playing a stylized sports medley that doesn't take itself too seriously slowly won me over. I was at the library, browsing for something to borrow, when Olympic Games jumped out at me. Seems like everyone was playing it just a few months ago, so why not give it a shot? I wouldn't personally buy it, but borrowing it seemed like a perfect compromise. Turns out this colorful, silly title is actually pretty fun, especially in co-op. As a party game, I bet it would be a hit. To be honest, it really reminded of Nintendo Wii's glory days. 

I think the most challenging trophy for me was the Olympic Event Master, where you have to win 10 gold medals in matches with the AI. The finals are brutal, and AI manages to kick your butt in everything from speed to reaction challenges. It left me in the dust for the 100m dash and the climbing, and it hit me hard with team sports. I barely squeezed by in a Judo match, miraculously out-Ippon-ing the opponents to a tight victory. One event I found I had the best chance was the Hammer Throw. As long as I did at least one "perfect" in the finals, I was guaranteed a gold medal. Throwing a perfect is tricky but not impossible, to a point where I managed to win about 50% of finals. It felt good to finally pop the trophy. Coincidentally, it also became the trophy to push me over level 300. 

It's a cute little title that is fun with friends, but the novelty also wears off quickly. Good thing that the platinum journey is a pretty short affair.

Edited by papert0wng1rl
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Little Nightmares

(the one where a plat would have been nice)

L761f4e.png

Little Nightmares has been on my radar for a long time: everything from its art style to the spooky premise appealed to me. One problem - no platinum! In itself that should't prevent me from trying out a game, but it sure doesn't push it to the top of my priorities. Thankfully, I did bite the bullet around Halloween and what a little treat it turned out to be: the creepy atmosphere, the claustrophobic setting, nothing but a flashlight to guide you, and grotesque creatures waiting in the shadows to grab you. The story also unfolded gradually, without revealing too much and unafraid to remain ambiguous. I loved how it subverted my expectations with "Kindness will be your undoing!" promise. I expected a certain something to happen, but it happened in a completely unexpected way that left me both shocked and saddened (in a good way). 

The only annoying part of the game was, naturally, the speedrun. On top of the tight time limit it added a permadeath of sorts, where dying would void your speedrun trophy. And dying accidentally is so easy in this game thanks to the weird camera angles and awkward platforming. I struggled a lot in the first two chapters that have most of said platforming, but it got easier in the subsequent chapters. That said, I totally savescum-ed it in between chapters, just so I didn't have to spend obscene amount of time going through the motions. This trophy alone should have earned Little Nightmares a platinum, but alas, it was overlooked. 

I do want to pause here and pose a question to myself that nagged me the whole time I was playing Little Nightmares: how much enjoyment of the game am I normally willing to sacrifice in order to save time on the road to completion? Is trophy hunting negatively impacting my gaming experience? I normally play all my games blind on the first playthrough. I look through the trophy list to make sure I am aware of things I need to look out for, but that's pretty much all the prep I do. I like to avoid spoilers and the pressure of doing a set number of things in one go. I never start a game on the highest of difficulties or open a collectibles guide until I finish it at least once. That's why I love open world games, where usually nothing is locked behind a plot-sensitive timeline. Little Nightmares, however, was an exception. I did open a walkthrough right away to collect all the lanterns and hug all the gnomes, but I wonder if it ultimately lessened my experience. The point of this game is to explore and to be wary of the things that go bump in the dark, so I can't help but think that I would have loved this game even more if I took my time with it and earned its accolades on my own. Sometimes I have to remind myself not to let trophy hunting get the best of me. Does anyone ever feel this way, or am I overthinking it? 

• Like 4

Nice to see your progress here! If you have trouble with the UR trophies, i can give you some advice which games are enjoyable and doable for this ;) keep up the good work! (And add Our event in your tracker, DLCs are good for your 85% :P

Edit: i think you overthinking it with your Statement to use a guide or not. I use a guide for long games to minimize the time. A short game like little nightmare can be done really fast, so if you want take your time you cna Do it. Try to love gaming and if you see guides makes it less enjoyable for you then skip them for the first run :) i have too much i want to play so i look out for missable as good i can. But i have still fun with those games, if they are easy or hard as nails. 

Edited by Inuty
  • Like 1

First off - congrats, and nice write up! ?

I know what you mean about that speedrun trophy - I ended up writing a whole missive about it ? - it feels a little out of place in a game like Little Nightmares.

On this:

4 minutes ago, papert0wng1rl said:

The point of this game is to explore and to be wary of the things that go bump in the dark, so I can't help but think that I would have loved this game even more if I took my time with it and earned its accolades on my own. Sometimes I have to remind myself not to let trophy hunting get the best of me. Does anyone ever feel this way, or am I overthinking it?

I certainly do try to always play blind first time - and it does always feel better that way in the long run - though I’d be lying if I said there haven’t been games out there that have felt more of a slog towards the end of the platinum journey as a result… (I actually just finished one, and while I valued that initial, blind playthrough, there was a part of thinking, during my third playthrough, “man, if I had just got all the collectibles the first time…” ?)

On the plus side - on both counts actually - Little Nightmares II doesn’t have the same aspects. There is a plat and there isn’t a speed/no death run, and so, since the collectible tracking is per chapter, with chapter select, you really don’t need to consider playing with a guide the first time - a collectible clean up is a pretty swift affair!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Inuty said:

Nice to see your progress here! If you have trouble with the UR trophies, i can give you some advice which games are enjoyable and doable for this ;) keep up the good work! (And add Our event in your tracker, DLCs are good for your 85% :P

Thanks Inuty! I keep forgetting to edit my challenge post with the DLC event. I will do that today. And yes, I will always appreciate recs for doable UR trophies in enjoyable games. One day I'll get to my goal ? 

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

First off - congrats, and nice write up! ?

I know what you mean about that speedrun trophy - I ended up writing a whole missive about it ? - it feels a little out of place in a game like Little Nightmares.

On this:

I certainly do try to always play blind first time - and it does always feel better that way in the long run - though I’d be lying if I said there haven’t been games out there that have felt more of a slog towards the end of the platinum journey as a result… (I actually just finished one, and while I valued that initial, blind playthrough, there was a part of thinking, during my third playthrough, “man, if I had just got all the collectibles the first time…” ?)

On the plus side - on both counts actually - Little Nightmares II doesn’t have the same aspects. There is a plat and there isn’t a speed/no death run, and so, since the collectible tracking is per chapter, with chapter select, you really don’t need to consider playing with a guide the first time - a collectible clean up is a pretty swift affair!

Much appreciated! I don't know what possessed me to finish LN in one sitting, but I think it had something to do with the deadline for the Halloween event. Again, my priorities were skewed, and not in the healthiest of directions. I am very much looking forward to playing the sequel, and I have a chance to borrow it soon. It seems like a much more relaxed kind of game for sure. I think I will stick to my blind playthroughs from now on! (I do relate to the feeling of exhaustion at the end of some platinum runs though ?)

• Like 1

Im glad you did end up playing through Little Nightmares as it really is a fantastic gaming experience and probably one of my favorite games Ive played in the last couple years. I bought LN2 at launch but it has stayed on my shelf ever since. Im not sure why I haven't started it yet except for maybe the thoughts that roll around in my head of "Will it live up to the first one?... Will I end up not liking it as much as the first one?". I really just need to just play it and find out! :blush:

11 minutes ago, gruffiiti said:

Im not sure why I haven't started it yet except for maybe the thoughts that roll around in my head of "Will it live up to the first one?... Will I end up not liking it as much as the first one?". I really just need to just play it and find out! :blush:

I loved Little Nightmares....

...and I don't think you have anything to worry about with Little Nightmares II ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gruffiiti said:

Im glad you did end up playing through Little Nightmares as it really is a fantastic gaming experience and probably one of my favorite games Ive played in the last couple years. I bought LN2 at launch but it has stayed on my shelf ever since. Im not sure why I haven't started it yet except for maybe the thoughts that roll around in my head of "Will it live up to the first one?... Will I end up not liking it as much as the first one?". I really just need to just play it and find out! :blush:

Do it! Once I start it, you'll have no excuse not to beat me to it!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...